Sun Country is adding more flights to Orlando!!!

Sees $210.
/Gets OK from wife to book 4
/ Cheers all around
/Return to computer 5-min later
/ Sees $410.
/ Cancels plan
/ Kids cry

You snooze you lose. Awesome effort by Sun Country!!!

Sees $210.
/ Cheers all around
/ Sees $410.
/ Cancels plan
/ Kids cry

I would have snatched up that $210 trip, but they are all gone. It looks like the tickets went online sooner than I had thought.

It's like even after a week of watching flights blow up in price, people still don't understand how this works.

After the smoke clears, $420 RT is still going to look like a good price compared to the $700+ which was the only choice an hour ago.

After the smoke clears, $420 RT is still going to look like a good price compared to the $700+ which was the only choice an hour ago.

Plus direct. No doubt Sun Country is stepping up here.

When you are browsing the airfare, use incognito mode or make sure you clear your cookies afterwards. It's a marketing strategy to track how many times you visit the site to show how interested you are in the trip. The more you visit, the more the price will go up. (My marketing professor was a former exec at an airline) Good luck!

Sees $210.
/ Cheers all around
/ Sees $410.
/ Cancels plan
/ Kids cry

He who hesitates, masturbates.

Perhaps if anyone on Gopherhole has connections to Joe Christenson at the Minneapolis Star Tribune and Marcus Fuller at the St. Paul Pioneer Press and/or the U of M communications people they could ask them to consider dropping a quick story/blurb on these great new flight options in each of the paper's websites. i.e. To further drum up more Gopher fan notice/interest and thus game ticket sales and trips down to the bowl game. Anyone know how to get that done or effectively reach out to those parties by chance?

You could book two one way tickets

Plus direct. No doubt Sun Country is stepping up here.
I think Spirit is offering one way fare with 1 stop in Fort Lauderdale and then one more flight from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando for $139 W tax. Trick part is you have to leave terminal two in MSP take the red eye and leave at 01:15 AM in the morning 01/01/15 and arrive in Orlando about 07:40AM after the flight to Fort Lauderdal. That is if you "luck out" and Spirit doesn't end up having engine trouble on one of their beater plains and cancelling you and you end up stranded. Then take the Sun Country flight back for $210 W tax at 11:20 PM.
So you can still do this trip for $349 and save $71 bucks doing two one way tickets and leaving early morning from MSP and get back late to MSP.

Problem is you run the risk of Spirit cancelling your flight which they are known to do a lot. For those that were planning on driving, this may be an option. I am trying to weenie a flight with a corporate discount to get points which seems even with the discount will cost more than the Sun Country one day flight and back deal. Even at $420 that seems to be a better deal than anything I can find and you save by only needing a rental car or taxi, so no hotel costs. Sun Country did step up to give people options so Kudos to them. Right now the Sun Country one day trip seems to be the most cost effective way to get to the game if you do not care about beach time or vacation. I'm on vacation for six days before this so this would be a quick turnaround but seems doable to see the Gophers and you only live once.

I was a victim of hesitating as I was trying to see if my brother would go and by the time he gave the thumbs up, it as lonnnggg gone, ding dong. So, if the saints and angels at SunCountry have any more tricks up their sleeves and can pull another rabbit out of the hat for $210, I will take four please...I'm good for the cash so just put them on reserve...sincerely, John of Chaska! Dammit I wanted to go...sniff, sniff-tissue anyone?:(:(:(:(

I was a victim of hesitating as I was trying to see if my brother would go and by the time he gave the thumbs up, it as lonnnggg gone, ding dong. So, if the saints and angels at SunCountry have any more tricks up their sleeves and can pull another rabbit out of the hat for $210, I will take four please...I'm good for the cash so just put them on reserve...sincerely, John of Chaska! Dammit I wanted to go...sniff, sniff-tissue anyone?:(:(:(:(

Got a million tissues here.

Bummer man. Suggestion: You should go put your brother in a headlock and then give him a snuggie for dragging his feet. ;)

Bummer....I want as many Gopher fans in the stands as possible. Check back in a few days and see if the price doesn't come down.

at 210 i was about to jump on this but I too was way late. and it is 420. as the kids have traveled home I could not go without the whole family and at the 420 (good price if it was just two of us) i cant swing that for the family

Maybe if enough additional people show interest they can work on getting more flights? Email, call, twitter ...

I wonder what these extra flights will do for ticket sales? Hopefully this helps us see a bump up in sales! Way to pony up for the hometown team Sun Country!

This tweet, from who I believe is GopherLady's friend NateDawgUM here on Gopherhole, says it perfectly on this topic.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This tweet, from who I believe is GopherLady's friend NateDawgUM here on Gopherhole, says it perfectly on this topic.

When I started to book the trip around 4:30PM the cost was $456 for two tickets w/ fees with a departure date of 12/30 and a return on 1/4. By the time I typed in the CC information the deal was no longer available and a "system" error popped up.

Right now a deal can be had with a 12/31 departure and 1/7 return for $$338 per ticket or so, which is not a bad idea if you have a few days to spare. I cannot handle eight days in Orlando, but may still go for the deal, with the intent of driving over to the gulf or ocean for a few days after the game.

These Sun Country deals are still very reasonable.

There is some irony, no doubt; however, that doesn't take into account that the deals were only there for a very short time, during work hours, and most needed to try and coordinate with others' schedule as well. This is NOT a complaint - I think SunCountry rocks for doing this, it is just that he oversimplified the situation for many.

Maybe if enough additional people show interest they can work on getting more flights? Email, call, twitter ...

Sun Country just added six flights, with airfare still running $200-300 cheaper than it was at lunchtime. This is it.

Sun Country just added six flights, with airfare still running $200-300 cheaper than it was at lunchtime. This is it.

+1. Honestly, some of you who want to go to the bowl game and spend some time in Florida, and yet are still dragging your feet on making the necessary arrangements will have no one to blame but yourself. The seats still available from Sun Country at this hour are in fact still very good deals. Move it or lose it. And then don't come here and bitch about it if you miss out on a deal or going on the trip. Just saying. ;)

P.S. I say in instances like this follow the old adage that it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission. Make a man of the house decision, make the purchase and let your wife and/or girlfriend know this is what you two will be doing for New Year's, this is what it cost, and that is just how it is going to be. :cool02:

THIS. Times a million. I'm sorry, I really don't feel bad for all of you booking at $420, that's a GREAT price. The idiots that said $700-1000 was fair were just that, idiots. But this, is extremely fair and a great price. I'd love, just once, to get a discount for being die-hards, sacrificing a lot to book early, pay a ton, and make sure we go to the 1st New Year's bowl game in my lifetime. It would be nice to be appreciated, and reap some kind of loyalty benefits just once...but that's a fairy land in Gophers world!

THIS. Times a million. I'm sorry, I really don't feel bad for all of you booking at $420, that's a GREAT price. The idiots that said $700-1000 was fair were just that, idiots. But this, is extremely fair and a great price. I'd love, just once, to get a discount for being die-hards, sacrificing a lot to book early, pay a ton, and make sure we go to the 1st New Year's bowl game in my lifetime. It would be nice to be appreciated, and reap some kind of loyalty benefits just once...but that's a fairy land in Gophers world!

Selfishly I want everybody to stop booking this flight so the price doesn't keep climbing today until I get final word that I have people covering my shifts at work to make this flight. Even at $420 that is a heck of a deal and well worth it to me.

GopherLady we all appreciate your efforts to help facilitate these flights. Can't thank you enough. Those of us that already paid up the wazooo to get there are still thanking you because, at the end of the day, we just want as many Gopher fans there as possible to help us enjoy this once in a lifetime opportunity. Anyone that thinks they can just wait until next year's NYD bowl game has apparently not suffered enough years of anguish yet, and will likely regret the decision. And when we're all sitting in nursing homes drooling over our mashed potatoes, we can hopefully remember this trip and manage to smile.

Top Bottom