Mason: Brewster talked a good game, didn't get it done; Jerry says little does a lot

All of those things you said are true with this caveat

And all along I thought it was Gopher fans, supporters, students, season ticket buyers, taxpayers, and all of the people who contributed money to the new stadium who got it built. Thanks for setting us straight.

Coach Mason was the first to suggest that Minnesota needed there own on campus stadium and he was pretty adament about it with administration in Morril hall, specifically President Yudoff and the vice president Moten-Brown back I want to say 2004 to 2005 time frame. If I remember correctly the coaches were pretty annoyed back in December of 2004 that they were trying to set up recruiting visits to the Metrodome, had trouble getting access and when they did the stadium was set up for a tractor pull instead of the football field being there. He trumpeted pretty loudly that why should Minnesota not have what everyone else in college football and the Big 10 have on college game day saturday. Why should we be short changed of what college football is all about, and of course that the on campus stadium would help recruiting overall.
This was not a very popular opinion at the time of the folks in central administration in Morril hall. That and state legislators were still trying to push the shared stadium concept with the Vikings at the State Fair grounds, and Vikings owner Red McCombs wanted all of the Gopherrs parking revenue and concessions as a revenue source in the shared stadium they were pushing at that time at the legislature.

That being a politician and vocal proponent of the stadium to the legislature, and coach Mason having that golf outing and with getting the president of TCF bank and CEO on board in being the title sponser for the stadium after a goal line club or golf outing in Arizona had a lot to do with finally getting the on campus stadium ball rolling.
I believe Lou Nanne would even confirm that this schmoozing event on the golf course convince the president of TCF to take on the role as title sponser for the on campus stadium.
This was of course after the T Denny Stanford lead donor fiasco story broke and when Sanford and Maturi held that press conference. TCF stepped up after T Denny basically wanted complete control on stadium design and costs.
All of the people that put effort in to getting the stadium obviously deserve credit even AD Maturi played a big roll, but to say that coach Mason had little to do with TCF stadium getting built would be re-writing history. I too would have liked coach Mason to get the chance to coach in the new stadium just to see if things would have gotten better. By that time his relationship with AD Joel Maturi was pretty sour and they were getting little to no money in the recruiting budget or to hire and retain good assistant coaches that were leaving. After coach Mason did not interview for the MSU job and then he was turned down for the Ohio State job things were not going well. He never seemed the same and obviously tired of the Minnesota situation, small Gopher Metrodome crowds(full of Bucky and Herky fans), constant complaining about non-conference games, tough recruiting cycles, budgets and the bad relationship with Maturi not being able to spend much in hiring assistants and of course being what seem unwilling to promote the program to the State or the HS coaches.
It was probably time both moved on after the TTU fiasco and the stagnation that had become the Gopher program, the 2007 season said a lot about how stagnant things had gotten.

"The main difference is that Brewster is still coaching football and Mason is only talking about it."

What a stupid and ignorant statement. Glen Mason rebuilt every program he coached at and all three were moribund when he arrived. He led us to heights at Minnesota that most of us could not have dreamed of prior...defeated every Big 10 team, defeated ranked opponents, bowl games and wins in those games and a 10 win season! Yes there were horrific and disappointing losses too but Mase was named Coach of the Year in three major conferences. Brewster is still coaching as an assistant. Hell, I'm sure Mase could have gone that route. He also turned down other head jobs such as New Mexico. Please don't try and spin it like Brewster is somehow better. The man may be a great recruiter but couldn't carry Glenn's jock as a coach!

"The main difference is that Brewster is still coaching football and Mason is only talking about it."

What a stupid and ignorant statement. Glen Mason rebuilt every program he coached at and all three were moribund when he arrived. He led us to heights at Minnesota that most of us could not have dreamed of prior...defeated every Big 10 team, defeated ranked opponents, bowl games and wins in those games and a 10 win season! Yes there were horrific and disappointing losses too but Mase was named Coach of the Year in three major conferences. Brewster is still coaching as an assistant. Hell, I'm sure Mase could have gone that route. He also turned down other head jobs such as New Mexico. Please don't try and spin it like Brewster is somehow better. The man may be a great recruiter but couldn't carry Glenn's jock as a coach!

Agreed. Mason had his successes, and his shortcomings. He deserved to be let go when he was done, but he was much better than Brewster. Brewster never won a single trophy, and if I recall, only once beat a bowl eligible B1G team. Also, no coach since Mason has yet matched Mason's 10 win high water mark.

Mason was a very good coach. He got a lot out of the talent he had to work with. He deserves credit for getting the ball rolling on the stadium. That said, the program was in sharp decline & Mase had been mailing it in for several recruiting cycles. He left Brew with the worst Gopher roster I have ever seen. Probably the worst defensive players of any team I've ever seen on a B1G roster. He'd completely lost the eye of the tiger & it was time to go.

Who cares at this point about either Mase or Brewster? We now have the best coach the program has had in decades, and he is building the program the right way...for the long haul. Go Gophers!

Coach Mason was the first to suggest that Minnesota needed there own on campus stadium and he was pretty adament about it with administration in Morril hall, specifically President Yudoff and the vice president Moten-Brown back I want to say 2004 to 2005 time frame. If I remember correctly the coaches were pretty annoyed back in December of 2004 that they were trying to set up recruiting visits to the Metrodome, had trouble getting access and when they did the stadium was set up for a tractor pull instead of the football field being there. He trumpeted pretty loudly that why should Minnesota not have what everyone else in college football and the Big 10 have on college game day saturday. Why should we be short changed of what college football is all about, and of course that the on campus stadium would help recruiting overall.
This was not a very popular opinion at the time of the folks in central administration in Morril hall. That and state legislators were still trying to push the shared stadium concept with the Vikings at the State Fair grounds, and Vikings owner Red McCombs wanted all of the Gopherrs parking revenue and concessions as a revenue source in the shared stadium they were pushing at that time at the legislature.

That being a politician and vocal proponent of the stadium to the legislature, and coach Mason having that golf outing and with getting the president of TCF bank and CEO on board in being the title sponser for the stadium after a goal line club or golf outing in Arizona had a lot to do with finally getting the on campus stadium ball rolling.
I believe Lou Nanne would even confirm that this schmoozing event on the golf course convince the president of TCF to take on the role as title sponser for the on campus stadium.
This was of course after the T Denny Stanford lead donor fiasco story broke and when Sanford and Maturi held that press conference. TCF stepped up after T Denny basically wanted complete control on stadium design and costs.
All of the people that put effort in to getting the stadium obviously deserve credit even AD Maturi played a big roll, but to say that coach Mason had little to do with TCF stadium getting built would be re-writing history. I too would have liked coach Mason to get the chance to coach in the new stadium just to see if things would have gotten better. By that time his relationship with AD Joel Maturi was pretty sour and they were getting little to no money in the recruiting budget or to hire and retain good assistant coaches that were leaving. After coach Mason did not interview for the MSU job and then he was turned down for the Ohio State job things were not going well. He never seemed the same and obviously tired of the Minnesota situation, small Gopher Metrodome crowds(full of Bucky and Herky fans), constant complaining about non-conference games, tough recruiting cycles, budgets and the bad relationship with Maturi not being able to spend much in hiring assistants and of course being what seem unwilling to promote the program to the State or the HS coaches.
It was probably time both moved on after the TTU fiasco and the stagnation that had become the Gopher program, the 2007 season said a lot about how stagnant things had gotten.

Thanks for the info but I am not buying what you are selling. In the 2004/2005 time frame Mason had already started to wear out his welcome in Minnesota. Most of us were getting tired of the regular rumors that he was looking for another job. Plus, this was after the Michigan fiasco in 2003 which followed the Northwestern, Purdue, and Wisconsin fiascos in previous years.

Having an idea and making it happen are two entirely different things. Mason had an idea for an on-campus stadium just like many Gopher fans and ticket holders who never wanted the team to leave the campus in the first place. The people who lobbied the legislature and raised the funds are the people who made the new stadium happen. Mason was just a bit player in that effort.

Who cares at this point about either Mase or Brewster? We now have the best coach the program has had in decades, and he is building the program the right way...for the long haul. Go Gophers!

Go tell the Brewster haters who never miss an opportunity to rip him in GopherHole. They act like the U is the first school ever to hire a coach that didn't work out. Michigan has had two in a row that failed. Notre Dame, Alabama, and Tennessee had the same experience. The Gophers haven't won a Big 10 Championship since 1967 and far too many people want to put most of the blame on Brewster. It has been said before and bears repeating: without Tim Brewster there is no Jerry Kill at Minnesota.

Mason was the most under-achieving coach the Gophers had since I have been alive. No other coach has lost more games that he should have won because of poor decisions in the second half. No other coach has pissed off more fans and supporters with his arrogant attitude and constant search for a better job at other schools. Does anyone remember when Mason called Gopher students a bunch of drunks when they booed him after he blew another game in the second half?

I hope you're not implying that Brewster is a better coach than Mase... c'mon man.

I think it was Mason's choice to not coach. I believe his wife has a successful dental practice that he didn't want her to give up.

Mason was the most under-achieving coach the Gophers had since I have been alive. No other coach has lost more games that he should have won because of poor decisions in the second half. No other coach has pissed off more fans and supporters with his arrogant attitude and constant search for a better job at other schools. Does anyone remember when Mason called Gopher students a bunch of drunks when they booed him after he blew another game in the second half?

Not sure how old you are, but only 4 coaches in the last 67 years have coached for 6 or more seasons. More weren't here long enough for people to care about them. Yes he had to go, but he brought the program to a level of respectability.

Glen's problem is that he has a pretty high IQ.

Which meant that at a certain age, he became bored kissing the asses of semi-literate 17 year old recruits.

He was happy to keep coaching for a couple hours a week during the Fall.

Or so I speculate.

Mase is much better as a football commentator than he ever was as a coach. If he had won a few more games, and made a few less excuses for not winning more games, he would still be coaching the Gophers. Mase and Brewster both came to the same bad end in Minnesota. The main difference is that Brewster is still coaching football and Mason is only talking about it.

You're an idiot if you think Brewster and Mason are comparable coaches. Mason turned around programs at Kent State, Kansas, and Minnesota after each program had been down for years. He had a 10-3 season at Minnesota in 2003 and took Minnesota to 7 bowl games.

You're an idiot if you think Brewster and Mason are comparable coaches. Mason turned around programs at Kent State, Kansas, and Minnesota after each program had been down for years. He had a 10-3 season at Minnesota in 2003 and took Minnesota to 7 bowl games.

Brewster failed as the Gopher's football coach and so did Mason. Brewster wanted the Gophers to go to the Rose Bowl. Mason never believed the Gophers could get to the Rose Bowl. Brewster loved Gopher fans and never gave even one excuse for why his team didn't win. Mason called Gopher fans a bunch of drunks and had all kinds of excuses for why his team didn't win. Brewster loved being the Gopher's coach. Mason never wanted to be the Gopher's coach and was always looking for a better job. Brewster worked his ass off as the Gopher's coach and he always wanted the Gophers to win the Big 10 Championship. Mason coasted through much of his time as the Gopher's coach and never thought the Gophers could win the Big 10 Championship. Brewster was a good guy as the Gopher's coach and he never misses an opportunity to say nice things about his time with the Gophers. Mason was a jerk as the Gopher's coach and he still is one.

Brewster was the worst coach I have seen as a gopher fan and I have seen a lot of bad gopher coaches and teams. He didn't get it done on the field or In the classroom. We had no direction or discipline when he was here. Mason got us to respectability during his tenure but couldn't get us over the hump and because we were close with him some of the losses, as many will agree, were the most painful losses I have ever witnessed in any sport.

Brewster failed as the Gopher's football coach and so did Mason. Brewster wanted the Gophers to go to the Rose Bowl. Mason never believed the Gophers could get to the Rose Bowl. Brewster loved Gopher fans and never gave even one excuse for why his team didn't win. Mason called Gopher fans a bunch of drunks and had all kinds of excuses for why his team didn't win. Brewster loved being the Gopher's coach. Mason never wanted to be the Gopher's coach and was always looking for a better job. Brewster worked his ass off as the Gopher's coach and he always wanted the Gophers to win the Big 10 Championship. Mason coasted through much of his time as the Gopher's coach and never thought the Gophers could win the Big 10 Championship. Brewster was a good guy as the Gopher's coach and he never misses an opportunity to say nice things about his time with the Gophers. Mason was a jerk as the Gopher's coach and he still is one.

Disagree completely. Mason did not fail. He was the best coach this school had seen in 40 years. We fired him to try and take the next step. So in that sense, Maturi failed, completely. Reality is Mason is gone, so Kill is the guy to support. Brewster was a dumpster fire and the sooner his coaching years are in the deep past the better.

Brewster was the worst coach I have seen as a gopher fan and I have seen a lot of bad gopher coaches and teams. He didn't get it done on the field or In the classroom. We had no direction or discipline when he was here. Mason got us to respectability during his tenure but couldn't get us over the hump and because we were close with him some of the losses, as many will agree, were the most painful losses I have ever witnessed in any sport.

All season long GopherHolers have been talking about the possibility that the Gophers could win the Big 10 Championship this year. If Mason was still coach there would be zero possibility that he would have a team with a chance to win it all. Mason didn't have the ambition or work ethic to win championships with the Gophers. He was way too comfortable with his million dollar salary, influential friends, and overly forgiving Gopher fans to have the desire or need to work that hard. Mason was the most under-performing Gopher coach of my life time. It was my happiest day as a Gopher fan when Maturi fired his ass. If Brewster was still the Gopher's coach he would have a better chance to win a championship than Mason because of his recruiting ability. It is much easier to improve your coaching skills through experience than it is to learn how to recruit 18 year old high school football players which Brewster has been doing successfully for a couple of decades.

Disagree completely. Mason did not fail. He was the best coach this school had seen in 40 years. We fired him to try and take the next step. So in that sense, Maturi failed, completely. Reality is Mason is gone, so Kill is the guy to support. Brewster was a dumpster fire and the sooner his coaching years are in the deep past the better.

Oh, really? Did Mal Moore fail completely when he hired Mike Shula to coach Alabama in 2003 and then fired him four years later to hire Nick Saban?

All season long GopherHolers have been talking about the possibility that the Gophers could win the Big 10 Championship this year. If Mason was still coach there would be zero possibility that he would have a team with a chance to win it all. Mason didn't have the ambition or work ethic to win championships with the Gophers. He was way too comfortable with his million dollar salary, influential friends, and overly forgiving Gopher fans to have the desire or need to work that hard. Mason was the most under-performing Gopher coach of my life time. It was my happiest day as a Gopher fan when Maturi fired his ass. If Brewster was still the Gopher's coach he would have a better chance to win a championship than Mason because of his recruiting ability. It is much easier to learn improve your coaching skills through experience than it is to learn how to recruit 18 year old high school football players which Brewster has been doing successfully for a couple of decades. .
. Your Brewster colored glasses are very clouded in my humble opinion. Very few of his star recruits saw the field because they couldn't pass classes or were violating school policies and were gone within a year or two. Brewster was a coach who couldn't teach discipline and the product on the field showed. Based on your comments will have to agree to disagree.

If Brewster was still the Gopher's coach he would have a better chance to win a championship than Mason because of his recruiting ability. It is much easier to learn how to coach than it is to learn how to recruit 18 year old high school football players.
He didn't recruit nearly as well as people think. Only slightly better than normal Gopher recruiting aside from the 2008 class which wasn't nearly as good enrolled in the fall as it looked on paper in February. Brew was a better recruiter than Kill and Mason, but an absolutely awful coach which negated any possible gains he might have seen from his recruiting efforts with his mismanagement of the team.

Mase - Avg 57.2
2002 - #55 (Rivals only has rankings back to '02)
2003 - #37
2004 - #83
2005 - #55
2006 - #61

Brew - Avg 41.0
2007 - #57
2008 - #17 (#35 enrolled ranking by Rivals)
2009 - #39
2010 - #51

Kill - Avg 59.5
2011 - #52
2012 - #73
2013 - #61
2014 - #52

Your Brewster colored glasses are very clouded in my humble opinion. Very few of his star recruits saw the field because they couldn't pass classes or were violating school policies and were gone within a year or two. Brewster was a coach who couldn't teach discipline and the product on the field showed. Based on your comments will have to agree to disagree.

100% wrong. Brewster increased the Gopher football teams academic standing significantly over what it was under Mason. I don't have time to look up the link but you can find it if you are interested. Academics and citizenship under Mason were pathetic. Dominic Jones, Keith Massey, Alex Daniels, and E.J. Jones. Need I say more?

He didn't recruit nearly as well as people think. Only slightly better than normal Gopher recruiting aside from the 2008 class which wasn't nearly as good enrolled in the fall as it looked on paper in February. Brew was a better recruiter than Kill and Mason, but an absolutely awful coach which negated any possible gains he might have seen from his recruiting efforts with his mismanagement of the team.
So Brewster's recruiting at Mississippi State and FSU was not any good?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Florida State assistant Tim Brewster’s reputation on the recruiting trail is growing.

A story in today’s Palm Beach Post by my colleague, Anthony Chiang, pointed out that according to 247 Sports, Brewster is ranked No. 10 among college football’s top recruiters, the highest of any recruiter in the state of Florida, and Brewster’s impact has been felt in South Florida as much as anywhere.

http://seminolepost.blog.palmbeachp...ster-being-praised-for-his-recruiting-skills/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analysts say 3-9 Gophers' roster has higher-rated talent pool than fired coach inherited from Glen Mason in 2006

The truth is, Brewster "got some very good football players away from some very good programs" based on the recruiting rankings the past few years, Rivals.com recruiting expert Mike Farrell said.

The Gophers had won six games and gone to their fifth consecutive bowl game when Brewster took over the program from Glen Mason, who was fired after a 2006 Insight Bowl loss. Appearances were that Mason left Brewster a bowl-caliber program. In reality, Minnesota's talent was dropping to the point that Brewster needed an overhaul.

http://www.twincities.com/gophersfootball/ci_16764188

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- [B said:
Analysts say 3-9 Gophers' roster has higher-rated talent pool than fired coach inherited from Glen Mason in 2006
[/B]

The truth is, Brewster "got some very good football players away from some very good programs" based on the recruiting rankings the past few years, Rivals.com recruiting expert Mike Farrell said.

The Gophers had won six games and gone to their fifth consecutive bowl game when Brewster took over the program from Glen Mason, who was fired after a 2006 Insight Bowl loss. Appearances were that Mason left Brewster a bowl-caliber program. In reality, Minnesota's talent was dropping to the point that Brewster needed an overhaul.

http://www.twincities.com/gophersfootball/ci_16764188

The scandal and the loss of the three players in the summer Brewster started left the Gopher with the worst talent level ever probably, Brewster didn't retain a lot of the talent he recruited though, the program never improved.

Dominic Jones, Keith Massey, Alex Daniels, and E.J. Jones. Need I say more?

If an average recruiting class is 25 and he had 10 years, then that's four names out of 250. You should probably say more.

The only difference " right now " between Mason and Kill is Kill has a better staff. Give Mason Kills staff and I think the record would be about the same. The longevity of Kills staff is what keeps the wheel greased. Also Kill is getting better financial support then Mason ever did.

100% wrong. Brewster increased the Gopher football teams academic standing significantly over what it was under Mason. <b> I don't have time to look up the link </b> but you can find it if you interested. Academics and citizenship under Mason were pathetic. Dominic Jones, Keith Massey, Alex Daniels, and E.J. Jones. Need I say more?

You should take the time. We lost scholarships under Brewster. I don't recall that happening under Mason.

You should take the time. We lost scholarships under Brewster. I don't recall that happening under Mason.

Because the APR thing changed when Brewster took over.

It's honestly a little unfair to compare them academically because of that. The requirements for most of Mason's time here were drastically different than when Brewster was here and got even tighter right about when Kill took over. While Mason could have taken the high road and demanded more from his players (and it's fair to argue he should have as it IS a university), there weren't the ramifications while he was here and he enforced to the standards that were in place. If he hadn't been canned, no one can say whether he would or would not have improved the academics to keep up with the APR requirements.

That said this whole argument is old. Both have their good qualities, both have their faults. Both accomplished things the other didn't. Neither got the job done. Now Jerry Kill is our coach. 'Nuff said.

Because the APR thing changed when Brewster took over.

It's honestly a little unfair to compare them academically because of that. The requirements for most of Mason's time here were drastically different than when Brewster was here and got even tighter right about when Kill took over. While Mason could have taken the high road and demanded more from his players (and it's fair to argue he should have as it IS a university), there weren't the ramifications while he was here and he enforced to the standards that were in place. If he hadn't been canned, no one can say whether he would or would not have improved the academics to keep up with the APR requirements.

That said this whole argument is old. Both have their good qualities, both have their faults. Both accomplished things the other didn't. Neither got the job done. Now Jerry Kill is our coach. 'Nuff said.

I'd be curious to hear what meaningful on the field accomplishment Brewster achieved that Mason didn't. I think Mason had a better overall record, better B1G record, better bowl record, better trophy record, better record against the top 25, better highest poll ranking, better best season, and better last season.

Top Bottom