All things - Non-Gopher Freshmen (those who shall not be named)

I'm going to go watch Tyus vs Wisconsin in early December. I'm torn on who to boo louder!

One thing I like to do on Gopherhole is learn more about the sports of football and basketball. Many of you guys have provided great insight into lots of different subjects. So here's a question for you: what makes Tyus Jones such a good player? I went to watch Tyus. I compared him to a guard I used to watch out of Highland Park named Dion Bradley. To my untrained eye, Dion seemed faster, hustled more, had a better shot, and had pretty good handles. Dion was only 5-10". I think Dion actually played on Tyus' AAU team, though he didn't play as much. Here we are a year or two later and Tyus is starting for the one of the best teams in nation and I saw he scored 15 points the other night. So, what makes Tyus Jones so good? When I think of someone like Trey Burke, he seems like he's on a different planet from Tyus Jones. Yet, Tyus is obviously regarded as highly or higher than Trey was at the same age. What should I look for when watching Tyus to understand what makes him so good? If this question is not appropriate for GH, no worries. I understand. Thank you.

One thing I like to do on Gopherhole is learn more about the sports of football and basketball. Many of you guys have provided great insight into lots of different subjects. So here's a question for you: what makes Tyus Jones such a good player? I went to watch Tyus. I compared him to a guard I used to watch out of Highland Park named Dion Bradley. To my untrained eye, Dion seemed faster, hustled more, had a better shot, and had pretty good handles. Dion was only 5-10". I think Dion actually played on Tyus' AAU team, though he didn't play as much. Here we are a year or two later and Tyus is starting for the one of the best teams in nation and I saw he scored 15 points the other night. So, what makes Tyus Jones so good? When I think of someone like Trey Burke, he seems like he's on a different planet from Tyus Jones. Yet, Tyus is obviously regarded as highly or higher than Trey was at the same age. What should I look for when watching Tyus to understand what makes him so good? If this question is not appropriate for GH, no worries. I understand. Thank you.

I only saw him once two nights ago, but he makes everything look so easy. He is the type of guy who seems to have a bad night and you look up and has 20+pts, 10+assists and 5+steals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you quoted isn't a feeling, but rather fact.

I do not believe Dre is at 100%. Something appears off. Truly hope he has a special year.

Doubtful. We all know being "right" and being able to say "I told ya so" is far more important to you.

Watched Jones play last night on ESPN3, every pass he makes hits his teammate in the perfect spot to score. I'm talking EVERY pass. He will also start at PG, they were playing Cook at the 2 guard spot. I am going over 8 dimes/game. I had never seen him play as I live in Michigan. I agree completely with the Nash comparison; athletically doesn't seem like he belongs, will get exploited on D at times, but wow is he smooth on offense...beautiful thing to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From the games I've seen Jones is quite athletic. He has great ball handling and body control. Also pretty quick. He can also throw down a big dunk every once in awhile.

You hit it dead on saying you think he has an off night but goes for 20 and 10. I went to the AV/ Brunsville game and I think Tyus had 22 points and 17 assists in the end, but it felt like an off night. He is so much fun to watch he can just glide through defenders and is very smooth. He makes the game look so easy

From the games I've seen Jones is quite athletic. He has great ball handling and body control. Also pretty quick. He can also throw down a big dunk every once in awhile.

You hit it dead on saying you think he has an off night but goes for 20 and 10. I went to the AV/ Brunsville game and I think Tyus had 22 points and 17 assists in the end, but it felt like an off night. He is so much fun to watch he can just glide through defenders and is very smooth. He makes the game look so easy

Watch Jones in the open court on a fast break, I can't remember ever seeing another high school basketball player in Minnesota with more explosiveness, when he wants to he can go, he doesn't do it very often but man when he does it, not sure there is another college player that has that type of burst, his court awareness and ability to make everyone around him so much better is off the charts. He's not a great scorer and if his team needs him to create his own shots he will struggle, but leave him open or let him get to the basket he's going to score. I don't see how he won't be one of the top college players this year.

2 x 3 = 6 + 2 = 8

Got JP down for 3/7 and 1/4 3FG. So, a solid 50% eFG%, but he turned the ball over and committed fouls 3 times in 18 minutes. 1 DR, no A or Stl. Overall, rough game for him outside of the shot-making.

I'd be pretty happy with those numbers if he was a reserve Freshman for the Gophs.

He's physically a good sized PG for his age, always has been.

He's extremely confident which plays a large part in what another poster noted that he makes things look easy. He isn't rattled because he's confident he's better than every guy in front of him.

He is supremely fundamentally sound. Left and right hand dribbling are perfect, finishes at the rim in text book style. Makes sound crisp passes and can change directions efficiently.

His shot is good enough to keep defenders close so he can still feed the post and dribble drive. Hes won't kill you with his shooting ability, but it's good enough that you must respect it, giving way to his ability to drive to the hole and create.

What is Trey Burke able to do that is soo much better than Tyus? Lets not forget, I don't think anyone is saying Tyus is better than Trey at this point either.

Tyus is a great PG in that he isn't flashy, he makes the simple plays, and he is confident in himself and his abilities. I would challenge you to find something that he isn't good at instead of trying to find something he is great at and that should explain how good he is.

He's physically a good sized PG for his age, always has been.

Tyus is a great PG in that he isn't flashy, he makes the simple plays, and he is confident in himself and his abilities. I would challenge you to find something that he isn't good at instead of trying to find something he is great at and that should explain how good he is.

Picking the right college/university?:cheer:

Vaughn definitely went for whatever package was offered. I'm not real mad about it anymore, though. Clearly he didn't want to be here that much and wanted to chill in Vegas and get himself drafted for a year. That's perfectly fine but wouldn't have been a great fit here IF IF IF he had that sort of attitude. Plus it was likely a smart choice for him since he got like 18 shots his first game which wouldn't have been the case here or any of the major schools after him

Tyus has a feel for the game as a true pg you rarely find anymore. Many players who play the point would rather score 30 a game, and he could in high school, but he would rather get his teammates layups or dunks.

He is an ok athlete. He changes gears well, so he isnt a burner like the 2 Louisville guys but he can go slow than fast and get by people. He has great body control like a wr so he glides horizontaly by people for passes and layups.

I saw him play Bloomington Jefferson and he was hitting about 8 out of 10 from 3 in warm ups, then only took about 3 3pt shots the whole game. I think if he stays 2 years at Duke he will be a fine 3pt shooter.

He doesnt have elite lateral quickness so he will probably never excel on defense especially in the pro's. He is a better athlete than Nash but no where near as strong as a freshmen. He has the same innate ability to see plays happen seconds before others do.

Vaughn and UNLV is about getting in front of scouts shooting 20 times a game before he declares for the draft. Vaughn would be a great talent and could easily start for the gophers at the 3, but he would be lucky to get 10 shots a game and he wants to chuck it.

Travis is just a solid worker with upside. He will likely play 4 years and that's why that one hurts me the most.

Tyus could lead big schools in assists as a freshmen. He can shoot the 3 too. If he was looking to score more I could see some S. curry in his game, no blazer but knows angles, and has tremendous skills.

Saw a lot of Travis this weekend on the Pac 12 Network. Mature kid, not built like a freshman. Like March Madness said, he'll likely be in college for awhile, so Dawkins really got a keeper there.

I played for Bloomington Jefferson and we would triangle and 2 Tyus and Trent, as well as sometimes doing a triangle and 2 with Tyus soft doubled. I think most teams did this, and while Tyus can shoot, making the assist was a piece of cake when most of the defense's attention was focused on him.

Tyus played on a pretty stacked team i wonder what he could have averaged points wise on a team with only have that much talent.

Tyus has a feel for the game as a true pg you rarely find anymore. Many players who play the point would rather score 30 a game, and he could in high school, but he would rather get his teammates layups or dunks.

He is an ok athlete. He changes gears well, so he isnt a burner like the 2 Louisville guys but he can go slow than fast and get by people. He has great body control like a wr so he glides horizontaly by people for passes and layups.

I saw him play Bloomington Jefferson and he was hitting about 8 out of 10 from 3 in warm ups, then only took about 3 3pt shots the whole game. I think if he stays 2 years at Duke he will be a fine 3pt shooter.

He doesnt have elite lateral quickness so he will probably never excel on defense especially in the pro's. He is a better athlete than Nash but no where near as strong as a freshmen. He has the same innate ability to see plays happen seconds before others do.

Reminds me of Pistol Pete Maravich a little bit. Skinny frame, not exceptionally athletic, no look dimes to his teammates, etc. Especially when he drives the lane & loops his lay ups in, often falling away because he's not strong enough to attack the basket. He's not especially fast but is able to play at full speed, also like Maravich & most of all, he seems to be one move ahead of everyone else on the court, like Maravich.

The Pistol returns! Tyus isn't that flashy but i can see the not a great athlete but a great basketball mind comparison.

Macura

Macura scores 17 off bench in Xavier rout of Long Beach State.

I played for Bloomington Jefferson and we would triangle and 2 Tyus and Trent, as well as sometimes doing a triangle and 2 with Tyus soft doubled. I think most teams did this, and while Tyus can shoot, making the assist was a piece of cake when most of the defense's attention was focused on him.

Well...Jimmy W. can really coach you kids up. Jeff serves as a nice caddy for him.

The cash-money duffel bag will help him get over the losses until he is taken #30 in the NBA draft next year.

tumblr_m57rgaEIcp1qefkujo2_500.gif

I wonder if Izzo said anything to Tyus... Spending 4 years commuting to Tyus's games, all for nothing. I don't think Izzo is that type of a person, but you can't help but be a bit sour about it.

Tyus

Tyus... against a decent mich st team. 17pts, 4-5 fg, 2-3 3pt, 4 ass, 0 to, 2 stls, 0 fouls. For those looking for him to fail...good luck.

Tyus scores 17 with 4 assists against Michigan St. tonight.

Tyus is a much better scorer and athlete than people ever want to give him credit for on here. Will definitely play in the NBA.

PS... rough game for Dre Hollins last night.

"Andre Hollins was tremendous"

Pitino praised him after the game... for his defense, deflections and not worrying about points, but whatever you say big fella.

Speaking of rough game, Marquette never had a chance last night.

Tyus is good.
The sky is blue.
The pope is Catholic.
Bears **** in the woods.
Dr. Don likes beer.
blah blah blah

Really couldn't care less though.

Top Bottom