All Things New BBALL Practice Facility

Many on this board have applauded Pitino for taking the glass is half full type approach on the practice facility and ripped Tubby for not recognizing a viable practice field outside his office door. Perhaps Tubby had it right all along. This was one of the things I was worried about when we read about the pseudo practice facility. We can just kick the can down the street and live with inferior facilities.

Disappointing, if true.

Perhaps a victim of not understanding the internal politics. That said, maybe he wasn't getting one either way and he's just making lemonade as best he can. And if Kill is indeed butting in line, that is disappointing. The B-Ball facility should come first.

It is multi-sport, but its also mutli-phase. They aren't going to build everything at once. They have to prioritize.

Before you guys get into a panic attack, just know the basketball practice facility will be part of phase I.

Perhaps a victim of not understanding the internal politics. That said, maybe he wasn't getting one either way and he's just making lemonade as best he can. And if Kill is indeed butting in line, that is disappointing. The B-Ball facility should come first.

How is Kill butting in line? The football team makes the most money and should always be a priority...not the only one, but a primary one. The BB team benefits from new training table and student support facility and they already have the practice courts, meeting rooms and educational support in one building...the football team has much greater needs right now with an indoor facility that literally is falling down around them.

The football facility is 1A and the basketball facility is 1B. Everything else is way down the list in terms of priority. It's not like the football team is going to get a practice facility 5-10 years before the basketball team. They will be built within a year of each other and will likely go up around the same time.

Before you guys get into a panic attack, just know the basketball practice facility will be part of phase I.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we still don't have any concrete timelines on this project and I don't recall seeing any allocation of resources to Phase I or Phase II or whatever. How do we "just know"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we still don't have any concrete timelines on this project and I don't recall seeing any allocation of resources to Phase I or Phase II or whatever. How do we "just know"?

Timeline

Phase I
Priority I
Priority II
Priority III

Phase II
Priority I
Priority II
Priority III

Phase III
Conducting feasibility on phasability of Phase III

Thats a pretty detailed timeline, and it's all we got.

Ya Feel Me?

Timeline

Phase I
Priority I
Priority II
Priority III

Phase II
Priority I
Priority II
Priority III

Phase III

Ya Feel Me?

Finally some clarity.

Timeline

Phase I
Priority I
Priority II
Priority III

Phase II
Priority I
Priority II
Priority III

Phase III

Ya Feel Me?

I get the feeling the U put that guy in charge of the timeline.

How is Kill butting in line? The football team makes the most money and should always be a priority...not the only one, but a primary one. The BB team benefits from new training table and student support facility and they already have the practice courts, meeting rooms and educational support in one building...the football team has much greater needs right now with an indoor facility that literally is falling down around them.

The basketball facility was promised to Tubby 7 freaking years ago. In that time the football team has gotten to open TCF which is spectacular. I don't dispute they need a practice facility too, but they should not butt in line. And football will always make more money, but the football profit/basketball profit ratio at MN is probably among the lowest in the B1G or any of the power 5 not named Duke or Kentucky.

To me, I make basketball the priority as the Gophers are closer to being competitive in the conference on the hardwood than they are on the gridiron. Tubby took the team to 3 NCAA appearances and Richard just missed this last season. More important than just making the tourney however has been the fact that Gopher teams have won or been very competitive against elite competition in recent years (Syracuse, MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin(ugh), etc). Now add in the fact that football has one of the newest stadiums in major college football and a state of the art locker room in said stadium, and the basketball team is way overdue for it's shiny new toy.

I think i read on here recently that the training table, academic centers and maybe a few other things will be phase I and than football and basketball will be phase II.

The football facility is 1A and the basketball facility is 1B. Everything else is way down the list in terms of priority. It's not like the football team is going to get a practice facility 5-10 years before the basketball team. They will be built within a year of each other and will likely go up around the same time.

Looks like the Athlete Excellence building is 1, then the rest is 1a.

To me, I make basketball the priority as the Gophers are closer to being competitive in the conference on the hardwood than they are on the gridiron. Tubby took the team to 3 NCAA appearances and Richard just missed this last season. More important than just making the tourney however has been the fact that Gopher teams have won or been very competitive against elite competition in recent years (Syracuse, MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin(ugh), etc). Now add in the fact that football has one of the newest stadiums in major college football and a state of the art locker room in said stadium, and the basketball team is way overdue for it's shiny new toy.

On the gridiron, we were .500 in conference last year. On the hardwood, we were a losing team in conference. I don't know if I'd agree that we are closer to being competitive in conference basketball than football.

Not sure where some of you are coming up with these twisted timelines and priorities.

Michael Rand: Gophers facility wishes

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/189754051.html

Go Gophers!!

Gophers athletic director Norwood Teague has made facilities upgrades a major priority. A basketball practice facility is at the top of his list for an expanded Bierman Athletic Complex, but here are other upgrades he hopes to include in a model that should be released in coming months:

A new football building: The Gophers' indoor football practice facility and associated areas inside the complex are among the worst in the Big Ten.

A women's gymnastics facility: The Gophers practice in Peik Gym, on campus but several blocks from the athletic complex.

A wrestling facility: The wrestling room in Bierman is subpar, particularly when contrasted with the palaces at programs such as Penn State.

Office enhancements: Space is at a premium, and many coaches work in cramped conditions.

A center for student-athlete academics and dining: The current academic center can't accommodate very many athletes. The football team essentially holds its post-practice training table in a lobby.

I know when I want to cite information, my first resource is typically something that was published over 18 months ago.

Priorities have not changed. Just more GH bs talk and people start to believe it.

Not sure where some of you are coming up with these twisted timelines and priorities.

Gophers athletic director Norwood Teague has made facilities upgrades a major priority. A basketball practice facility is at the top of his list for an expanded Bierman Athletic Complex, but here are other upgrades he hopes to include in a model that should be released in coming months:

A new football building: The Gophers' indoor football practice facility and associated areas inside the complex are among the worst in the Big Ten.

A women's gymnastics facility: The Gophers practice in Peik Gym, on campus but several blocks from the athletic complex.

A wrestling facility: The wrestling room in Bierman is subpar, particularly when contrasted with the palaces at programs such as Penn State.

Office enhancements: Space is at a premium, and many coaches work in cramped conditions.

A center for student-athlete academics and dining: The current academic center can't accommodate very many athletes. The football team essentially holds its post-practice training table in a lobby.

I know when I want to cite information, my first resource is typically something that was published over 18 months ago.

Not surprised at all, you are still holding onto a fictitious MVP award from '10 :)

Please provide links and quotes that they have changed, because they have not.

Absence of proof is not necessarily proof of the opposite. Please provide links and quotes that they haven't changed.

Great logic.

More sound than yours. Where is your proof of stasis? I'm not necessarily saying either viewpoint is accurate - yet you are definitively saying that the priorities have not changed. Where is your proof? We'd all love to see it.

More sound than yours. Where is your proof of stasis? I'm not necessarily saying either viewpoint is accurate - yet you are definitively saying that the priorities have not changed. Where is your proof? We'd all love to see it.

Please elaborate how the logic of 'hearing nothing different means that nothing is different' is less sound than 'hearing nothing different means things are different'

I'm VERY interested in the logic behind that, since we are questioning others logic here.

I would say both are equally unsound, however, to state one is more sound than the other is rather laughable.

Top Bottom