What type of Music would you like to hear over the P.A. at games?

What type of Music would you like to hear more of at TCF?

• Modern Pop/Rock

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Classic Rock

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Rap/Hip-Hop

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Country

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • The Band

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Until the band marches down University Ave I can't think of anything else.

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
Much has been said about music selection at games, but now is your chance to serve as a GopherHole "Focus Group". While this poll is not scientific, input is always appreciated (especially positive). If you go to games around the country, each area has its favorite Genre. The South: Country, the West: Classic Rock, East: Rap/Hip-Hop and so on. What type of music would you like to hear at TCF?

I'm all for throwing aside my personal preferences and just having them play whatever will get the students going. If we have the students there and into it, it helps the atmosphere overall.

The band. One of the reasons I don't go to pro sporting events anymore is the constant blaring of music.

They just need to re-learn dynamics. Put everything at a reasonable fairly low volume until the key defensive point in the game.

I'm all for throwing aside my personal preferences and just having them play whatever will get the students going. If we have the students there and into it, it helps the atmosphere overall.

Agreed. There's nothing better than seeing the student section on their feet "getting in to it" dancing around, and being excited.

How old are you?

Don't know about beaver, but I'm 27, and I would also rather hear the marching band. The reason I go to college games is to see student-athletes and a college band and to tailgate like I'm still a college student. If I want a pro sports experience, I'll go see a Wild game (which I will also do at some point this year).

That said, if we assume that they are going to be playing stadium music, I'd like the same classic rock that is on my group's tailgate playlist: Enter Sandman, Welcome to the Jungle, etc.

I think there is a nice balance that you can achieve between the Band and "piped in music" to give them a rest every now and then. Plus, this is a trick question. The Band isn't played over the P.A. system.

What never needs to be piped in through the P.A. system are more advertisements. We have seen the articles about Michigan losing ticket holders because of Ads and such. Until the last year or so, a Gopher game felt more like an NFL game than any other college game I have been too. Heck, I have been to a game at Lambeau Field, and there were fewer advertisements during that game than at a Gopher game today.

The dome made a lasting impact on our Gameday experience in terms of commercialization, and the AD has not been able to move away from it that much since moving to TCF.

It's Raining Men by The Weathergirls on a constant loop.

This will be tangential, but I remember a friend once getting kicked out of a bar that had a jukebox where you could buy songs from an app on your smart phone. That was a mistake, because once he got kicked out, he stayed on his phone and looped Girls Just Wanna Have Fun for the rest of the night at the bar he was removed from.

Whatever makes the hot chicks get up and dance for the big screen! :) Seriously though i don't care if it's classical music, folk or steam punk, if it gets a good crowd reaction (like Gundham Style did a few years ago) go with what is working and replace it when it peters out. I feel like they left a little "what does the fox say" in the tank last year and kept playing that stupid Avecci song that no one reacts too far too long. Not to mention that "wake me up when it's all over" isn't the most sports positive lyric you can play for the crowd.

I would expect Lil Jon's "Turn down for what" to be the go to for the 3rd quarter to start this year at least.

I would expect Lil Jon's "Turn down for what" to be the go to for the 3rd quarter to start this year at least.

OK, I think I take back what I said earlier about putting my personal preferences aside....hopefully that song will not be popular by the time the seasons starts.

Atmosphere is what makes college ball better than the NFL.

Could not agree more. I have been pimping that theory for years. I just found it funny for one to say that piped in music is why they don't attend sporting events.

OK, I think I take back what I said earlier about putting my personal preferences aside....hopefully that song will not be popular by the time the seasons starts.

It is brilliantly written. It has 12 - count 'em - 12 unique words in the lyrics:

Fire up your loud
Another round of shots

Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what

Fire up your loud
Another round of shots

Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what

Fire up your loud
'nother round of shots
Fire up your loud
'nother round of shots
Fire up your loud
'nother round of shots
Fire up your loud
'nother round of shots

Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what

It is brilliantly written. It has 12 - count 'em - 12 unique words in the lyrics:

Fire up your loud
Another round of shots

Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what

Fire up your loud
Another round of shots

Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what

Fire up your loud
'nother round of shots
Fire up your loud
'nother round of shots
Fire up your loud
'nother round of shots
Fire up your loud
'nother round of shots

Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what
Turn down for what

The only reason I know that song is this brilliant video:

Whatever the students dig.

My quest is less about music and more about a loud air raid siren for after TD's, similar to Oregon & Washington.......

How old are you?

Not that old. There used to be a distinct difference between pro and college "atmospheres." I prefer the collegiate. A little goes a long way with the piped in music. I am there to watch the game and I don't need some crappy music to entertain me. The game is the entertainment. See the thread about Michigan pissing off their fans.

I hate the loud "canned" music at any sporting event. The bands are great at college football games, and I don't understand why we can't just listen to that.
Went to a Wild playoff game this year, and that ear-splitting noise that's played when the home team goes on a power play is the reason I will never go back.
I'm not old and actually enjoy some loud music, but when I go to a sporting event I don't need my senses jarred every time there's a stoppage in play.

They should play some Nico & Vinz, Trey Songz, and Lil Jon. Add in some Snoop Dogg and Tupac for some old school flavor... Wait! My bad! I thought I was on the U of Miami(FL) message board. NM. :eek:

I think they've done a pretty good job on music choices. There has been a good mix of old people hits and young people hits. If I had one request, it would be more music and less ads.

I agree with this 100%. I had a conversation off the board once with a friend about the music mix at Twins games although it certainly applies here. He wanted less hip hop and pop and more KQ style rock (Springsteen, Petty, Zeppelin, Stones, etc...). I told him that for the younger fans the Twins, and indeed the Gophers, want and need to draw, that type of music is increasingly not just mom and dad's music, but grandma and grandpa's. At a certain point we all reach a stage when entertainment content providers (radio stations, record companies, TV networks, movie studios, etc...) no longer program to those of us ranging from our mid 30s and beyond (I'm 42). They turn to younger generations. If Gopher Football is going to shake its image as a place for the older set, it will have to do whatever it takes to make the place appealing to students, kids ranging K-12, and recent college grad age young adults. That's going to mean more of this year's "Gangnam Style" type pop hit, more hip hop and dance music, and less of the band and classic rock except for the "Sweet Caroline", "Don't Stop Believing", and "Living On A Prayer" type timeless singalongs.

Top Bottom