Nate Mason and Josh Martin at all-star game this weekend

Mason is going to be a stud. Been my "favorite recruit" since he signed. I love his game, I'm like Aaron Rodgers, big fan of the pull up jumper and it looks like Mason can score that way.

As far as the results from this "game", I don't know if this is a testament to either of the two's actual abilities, or inabilities. From the sounds of the fantastic write up by Wandering, this was far from a college basketball game. JM's form likely impersonated the form of the game, landed on one foot/no defense played. Lots of no look passing and fancy dribbling, early shots from ungodly ranges with poor form. I can see Mason thriving in those situations as he has shown the ability (highlight reels) to hit an open jumper, and my guess is this contest had a lot of open jumpers and lanes to run through.

Either way, these two will be fantastic Gophers, and I cannot wait to see what they are doing 4 years form now as well as 6 months from now.

Are you sure he "stated" he wants to play some 3 and coach said so also? :rolleyes:
Paul White of Georgetown was matched up against Martin to start the game, and first play of the game Martin moved him out of the lane and jammed off an offensive rebound. I will say that I don't see Martin playing the 3 because he's not laterally quick enough on D, or at least didn't show it last night. True that pretty much everyone (except Nate Mason) was playing some lazy D, but nothing I saw indicated that he's a 3. The guy is a power forward. An athletic power forward, but a power forward.

Michigan had a signee playing last night as well. The 7'1" UCLA center (Thomas Welsh) that was playing with Martin is going to be really good.

It seemed like Marcus was getting his info from Martin or Mason, so presumably they did give an MVP. There was no ceremony on the floor. When the game was over, everybody left and fans were wandering out on the court when the tv cameras cut out. But yeah, no mystery that if there was an MVP Mason would get it. Not going to say which former Gopher player his game reminded me of, because it would create ridiculous expectations.

Edit: Thought it was Paul White but it was some other dude that looked like him. I missed some of the player intros.

Highlights:

Go Gophers!!

Fun to watch, unless you love watching good defensive play. ;). Mason and Martin will bring a lot to this team. Martin is quite the athlete. Unlike anyone we had at power forward last season.

I love Martin, but as someone else pointed out a while ago, he's gotta stop hanging on the rim so long after dunks. In the B1G that will be a technical.

I love Martin, but as someone else pointed out a while ago, he's gotta stop hanging on the rim so long after dunks. In the B1G that will be a technical.

It would be refreshing for a Gopher big to get a T for hanging on the rim.. just saying

I'm pretty sure he'll be a little more disciplined at the Barn than he is during AAU or All Star games.

Martin is quite the athlete. Unlike anyone we had at power forward last season.

That reverse thing he did - I couldn't even follow it. I had to watch it again to figure out what happened. Very impressive.

Richard will push him hard and make him great.

He will be a nice addition to the roster seems physical and athletic something we have lacked down low.

Serious question: Did Martin have more dunks in that all-star game than our bigs had all of last year combined?

Serious question: Did Martin have more dunks in that all-star game than our bigs had all of last year combined?

I know that Joey had one vs Syracuse. Mo had probably less than 10. Elliot and Oto may have dunked but I can't remember. We were definetly dunk deprived last year after having Rodney and Trevor previously. I'm hoping we see Deandre get a steal and transition dunk next year. Fuller posted a video of him dunking pregame, he did a two handed windmill dunk, and it looked pretty easy for him.

I know that Joey had one vs Syracuse. Mo had probably less than 10. Elliot and Oto may have dunked but I can't remember. We were definetly dunk deprived last year after having Rodney and Trevor previously. I'm hoping we see Deandre get a steal and transition dunk next year. Fuller posted a video of him dunking pregame, he did a two handed windmill dunk, and it looked pretty easy for him.

Pretty sure Pitino told him to stop dunking after he almost got hurt trying to dunk on Robinson for Michigan. There were definitely opportunities where he could have dunked this year if he wanted to.

Pretty sure he did not.

But Mathieu still surprised the home crowd Sunday when he passed up a chance to dunk on the fastbreak and show off his great leaping ability for a player under 6 feet tall.

He tried to dunk on Wolverines forward Glen Robinson III in the previous game.

"I finger rolled it, because coach told me not to dunk anymore," Mathieu said. "I had to get the easy one."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...all-coach-richard-pitino-hopefully-theyre-not

Pretty sure Pitino told him to stop dunking after he almost got hurt trying to dunk on Robinson for Michigan. There were definitely opportunities where he could have dunked this year if he wanted to.

Pretty sure he did not.
But Mathieu still surprised the home crowd Sunday when he passed up a chance to dunk on the fastbreak and show off his great leaping ability for a player under 6 feet tall.

"I finger rolled it, because coach told me not to dunk anymore," Mathieu said. "I had to get the easy one."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...all-coach-richard-pitino-hopefully-theyre-not

tumblr_lvwjiyrcYz1r4gei2o1_400.gif

Thank you. Just gave up searching for that quote and saw you already posted it.

Top Bottom