*** OFFICIAL GOPHERS/UNION NATIONAL TITLE IN-GAME THREAD ***

I gotta tip my hat to Adam Wilcox these last few games. He has done everything possible and more. Tonight the Gophers team have been outplayed, outclassed........you name it.

If Wilcox weren't so good, Union would have 10 right now. Seriously, they're going to end up with close to 60 shots on goal. Horrendous defense.

If Wilcox weren't so good, Union would have 10 right now. Seriously, they're going to end up with close to 60 shots on goal. Horrendous defense.

Yeh you have to wonder. Did the Gophers scout this team at all? Did they watch any film. Or is it just the plain fact we don't want to admit. Union is just better.

Another foolish penalty by the Gold jerseys.

So many times we have a rush and we look to pass instead of just shooting the puck. Just happened again on that shorthanded rush.

Certainly, the guys haven't helped their own cause tonight. Not nearly good enough in their own zone and Wilcox has had to make a bunch of huge saves just to keep this from getting out of hand.

We picked a bad night to be so undisciplined. Really a shame. National titles don't fall out of trees, you gotta take advantage of the opportunities when they are there.

Go Gophers!!

Union has been relentless. Wilcox is going to be very tired after this............LOSS :(

Well we have a power play to make it a game. Is it sad if I'm still hoping?

Gotta get one here -- quickly! C'mon Gophs - throw some at the net!

They just said Union is 1-2 against the Gophers all time. Earlier they said the Gophers have never beaten an ECAC team.

Boyd how did you miss that?????????

Fasching scores.

5-4 Union leads still

You knew with Wilcox pulled that just meant another goal for them. 54 seconds left and Mike Reilly is just lolly gagging around with the puck. What a joke!!

Too much playing around with the puck again instead of just shooting the damn thing.

Toe drag my ass. Shoot the damn puck and take your chance on a rebound!

Union was the better team tonight and a worthy champion, but it's awfully hard to overlook another tournament loss to a lesser program, following Holy Cross and Yale in recent years. Minnesota is a hockey blue blood with more resources than all but a handful of D1 teams, but we've now hit year 11 without a title and fans should have every right to expect better than that. I don't know what the answer is, but to lose to a school - and be terribly outplayed in the process - that doesn't even offer scholarships is hard to stomach.

Union has incredible defense and almost equally amazing offense. We just couldn't keep up.

Had to edit this post..........the site double up above the person I quoted.

If only they played the final in January, Don would win about every other year.

Union was the better team tonight and a worthy champion, but it's awfully hard to overlook another tournament loss to a lesser program, following Holy Cross and Yale in recent years. Minnesota is a hockey blue blood with more resources than all but a handful of D1 teams, but we've now hit year 11 without a title and fans should have every right to expect better than that. I don't know what the answer is, but to lose to a school - and be terribly outplayed in the process - that doesn't even offer scholarships is hard to stomach.

I'm not sure I would classify this loss or even the Yale loss as all that awful. The game against Yale was worse than this one, but they won the title. Union just beat us in the national title game, so I wouldn't call that a bad loss either. It's a bummer for sure, but the better team won tonight. Forget the school size or their hockey heritage. Union was better. Case closed.

Well we're kinda like UConn in basketball. Except both of our hockey teams lost the National Championship.

Good point, GophersInIowa. I forgot the women's team lost the National Championship as well. Not a great year, I suppose haha.

Top Bottom