All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Agree with most of your posts. You are off on this. Why would Jeff care what some rubes think about where he is going? Couldn't I make a similar argument that it will inspire him to "show us.".

You're probably right that individual twitter posts don't make a difference in a player's decision, but they reinforce the overall perception of the Gopher fanbase. We're by-in-large a pessimistic fanbase and it gets old. I believe it could help in some small way if we stop feeling sorry for ourselves and actually believe we can beat out big bad schools like Michigan and Florida (who were a combined 11-14 this season) for a hometown talent like Jones.

Maybe Jeff feels he is better than all of them and will play anyway.

Maybe, but he should feel much more confident that he will play more and sooner here. Lower talent level here, less bodies in general, plus the volume of running plays along with a fan base that is going to be begging to see him.

It's time for the coaching staff to put up or shut up...

Did I miss something? That phrase usually means, at least to me, that the coaches have been talking smack about recruiting and it's time to back it up. I have to believe you meant to use some other cliche...

He already spurned Wisconsin and Iowa, pretty damn good destinations for a running back. No way he picks Michigan in my opinion, Jeff didn't grow up with the "Michigan" some of us older folks did. Only way he leaves is if he wants to get away from the area in my opinion, but it doesn't sound like that is what he is interested in. I'm like 90% confident he stays.

Michigan worries me more than Florida because Brady Hoke is a slimey SOB. Having said that, if Jeff Jones picks the Gophers, he will get to play behind an outstanding OL, in a run heavy offense for 3-4 years, he could leave MN with all sorts of records and a high round draft pick in the NFL likely to follow. Assuming he stays healthy and out of trouble.

Maybe, but he should feel much more confident that he will play more and sooner here. Lower talent level here, less bodies in general, plus the volume of running plays along with a fan base that is going to be begging to see him.

Sounds like what you would look for. Maybe Jeff is looking for something else - earning PT over higher talent, more bodies in general, etc. foe example. I have no clue - just find it amusing how us message board rubes think we know what should appeal to a high school recruit. Different strokes for different folks.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>My boy <a href="https://twitter.com/WaveyJJ_10">@WaveyJJ_10</a> tore it up yesterday in the UA game! Good work bro! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GopherNation&src=hash">#GopherNation</a></p>— Connor Mayes (@PuppyloveMayes) <a href="https://twitter.com/PuppyloveMayes/statuses/419167658794565632">January 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

One of the many things that I took away from the UA game yesterday was that when the recruits made their verbal commits a vast majority of them stated why they picked school A over school B was the feeling that they had felt at home with the coaches/team. Look at the young guy that picked Arizona over Bama, while it wasn't his home team I'm guessing those on Arizona's board had a feeling that they couldn't compete with Bama for top recruits, but it was the feeling he had and the connections he made with Az's coaching staff and team that led him to choose a far superior team (in terms of talent/prestige) than his other offer. While I'm still nervous about Jones flipping he does seem to be comfortable with the coaching staff and team I'm hoping he watched and listened to his peers commits last night and saw that connections and personal comfort with a school should way heavily on his choice.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I say we use this from now until NSD! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23KeepJeffJonesCommitted&src=hash">#KeepJeffJonesCommitted</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23KeepJeffJonesCommitted&src=hash">#KeepJeffJonesCommitted</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23KeepJeffJonesCommitted&src=hash">#KeepJeffJonesCommitted</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23KeepJeffJonesCommitted&src=hash">#KeepJeffJonesCommitted</a></p>— No Name (@Elmore2014) <a href="https://twitter.com/Elmore2014/statuses/418890339416432641">January 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/WaveyJJ_10">@WaveyJJ_10</a> keep showing people how good the gophers are gonna be from now on! Our class will win championships</p>— No Name (@Elmore2014) <a href="https://twitter.com/Elmore2014/statuses/418891935063891968">January 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

I really don't think Michigan and Florida are as big of a threat as fans believe. Jeff has stated how important his relationship with the coaches is in making his decision, and I don't think he can establish a good relationship with the coaching staffs at each school within 1 month. I know we've been burned with recruits recently, but lets try to keep a positive mentality here!

One of the many things that I took away from the UA game yesterday was that when the recruits made their verbal commits a vast majority of them stated why they picked school A over school B was the feeling that they had felt at home with the coaches/team. Look at the young guy that picked Arizona over Bama, while it wasn't his home team I'm guessing those on Arizona's board had a feeling that they couldn't compete with Bama for top recruits, but it was the feeling he had and the connections he made with Az's coaching staff and team that led him to choose a far superior team (in terms of talent/prestige) than his other offer. While I'm still nervous about Jones flipping he does seem to be comfortable with the coaching staff and team I'm hoping he watched and listened to his peers commits last night and saw that connections and personal comfort with a school should way heavily on his choice.

'i felt comfortable with the coaching staff' covers everything from soup to nuts.. just a nice way to say 'no' to all the other schools

I really don't think Michigan and Florida are as big of a threat as fans believe. Jeff has stated how important his relationship with the coaches is in making his decision, and I don't think he can establish a good relationship with the coaching staffs at each school within 1 month. I know we've been burned with recruits recently, but lets try to keep a positive mentality here!

no way he goes to Michigan..
other than a few underthrown balls that were somehow caught for 157 yards, we matched Michigan blow for blow this year..
and besides, according to their own fans, "michigan football is a dumpster fire"..

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-fo...pster-fire-says-michigan-football-fans-122813

Sounds like what you would look for. Maybe Jeff is looking for something else - earning PT over higher talent, more bodies in general, etc. foe example. I have no clue - just find it amusing how us message board rubes think we know what should appeal to a high school recruit. Different strokes for different folks.

after yesterday, its obvious he will look for a school with a QB that can throw nice balls to backs out of the backfield..
its in his best interest to have receiving skills.. a big reason he was MVP.
however, receiving is not in the cards at Minnie if Mr Nelson throws screamers at his feet.

after yesterday, its obvious he will look for a school with a QB that can throw nice balls to backs out of the backfield..
its in his best interest to have receiving skills.. a big reason he was MVP.
however, receiving is not in the cards at Minnie if Mr Nelson throws screamers at his feet.

You've got it all wrong. Leidner throws the one hoppers. Nelson throws them 15 feet over your head.

'i felt comfortable with the coaching staff' covers everything from soup to nuts.. just a nice way to say 'no' to all the other schools

I would agree if the other school were on a similar level to that of Arizona, but for a 4/5 star player with an offer sheet like his there has to be something different. If the his final two were Bama and LSU like so many others last night then yes it's just a nice way to say no, but it was Arizona. Would we as Gopher fans say that our 6/7/8 win team was able to lockdown an elite player with offers too all the major schools solely on our rep as a team, or would we say that dang Kill & Co. are great recruiters and know how to make an individual of that caliber feel special and like they belonged here over any other school. I don't know, but to me it seems like the comfort factor does play a roll with a lot of recruits.

UA All American Game Awards
Jack of All Trades: RB Jeff Jones (Minneapolis, Minn./Washburn)
Status: Committed to Minnesota, but the SEC is calling Insider

As impressive as Jones was during the week, he was even more so during the game, which cemented the opinion many now have of him. This is a power back who showed great ball skills (he made a spectacular catch along the sideline) and enough wiggle and feet to be a factor at the second level. This is what makes the evaluation process in recruiting fun. RB Joseph Yearby (Miami/Central) went down to injury and Jeff Jones stepped in and made a name for himself with a versatile performance.

Michigan worries me more than Florida because Brady Hoke is a slimey SOB. Having said that, if Jeff Jones picks the Gophers, he will get to play behind an outstanding OL, in a run heavy offense for 3-4 years, he could leave MN with all sorts of records and a high round draft pick in the NFL likely to follow. Assuming he stays healthy and out of trouble.

Wisconsin has an "outstanding" OL, the Gophers do not.

Wisconsin has an "outstanding" OL, the Gophers do not.

I think you could argue that the Gophers will have an "outstanding" OL over the course of Jones' 4 years at the U. Of course it depends on one's definition of "outstanding." I don't know why Wisconsin was brought up.

Read - sure. Say things like, "I was liking MN, but that Spoofin dude thinks better players go elsewhere so I better do that" - no f'ing way. Ridiculous.

BTW - I don't feel that way, just didn't want to start a personal battle. I wanted to be clear on that in case it influences Jones or Ragnow.

My understanding is he is worried that TCF will play George Harrison's "Got my mind set on you" between the third and fourth quarter based on Gopherhole recommendations.

I think you could argue that the Gophers will have an "outstanding" OL over the course of Jones' 4 years at the U. Of course it depends on one's definition of "outstanding." I don't know why Wisconsin was brought up.
Just as an example of what an outstanding Oline actually looks like. Ill agree that the potential is there but by no means is it a certainty. The Gophers Oline has a ways to go before they are deemed outstanding.

Florida just offered a 4 star running back named Durell Scott today. He is about as highly ranked as Jeff

Just as an example of what an outstanding Oline actually looks like. Ill agree that the potential is there but by no means is it a certainty. The Gophers Oline has a ways to go before they are deemed outstanding.

The Gophers have a long ways to go be landing Jeff Jones anyway. So the whole thing was hypothetical. It's the offseason. Everything is hypothetical.

If we want to eventually become big ten title contenders we're going to have to beat out the helmet schools for recruits every once in a while. The Eric Murray's of the world are great and you can field a competitive team with low-rated recruiting classes as long as you develop players and they fit your system, but to take that next step you need to supplement these classes with a few impact guys with elite talent. There's no better time than now to keep players like Ragnow and Jones home. It's time for the coaching staff to put up or shut up and flex their recruiting muscles.

While the Florida and Michigan offers are worrisome, neither one of these teams have developed a relationship with Jones or his family for a few years like the Gophers staff. I'm confident these teams are too late. Not to mention, both teams had disappointing seasons leading to both coaches being on the hot seat (Muschamp moreso than Hoke), and both have highly rated freshman RB's almost guaranteed to get carries next year. Jones wanted more exposure and wanted to take a few visits, he has the opportunity now. In the end, I still think he ends up a Gopher and realizes the advantages to staying home and playing for the U are too good to pass up.

And for the record, I'm sick of the Minnesota sports fan defeatist attitude already showing up on message boards and twitter. The fans are part of the problem as to why talented in-state players go elsewhere if better offers are on the table.

He will go where he believes he has the best opportunity to succeed and fulfill his dreams, regardless of who flexes what muscles or who puts up and who shuts up. Or, he will go to the school that "does" the most for him and his family. If he choses to go to Michigan or Florida or Michigan State or Missouri or USC or wherever, I'm very confident those schools will find clever and creative ways to make sure his family can be in the stadium to watch each and every snap. I'm also confident those schools or an agent will figure out a way for Mr. Jones to eventually find himself driving a Jeep Cherokee, wearing nice clothes, etc. We've all seen this before a thousand times. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me a thousand times....

These kids are on twitter daily and twitter makes it easy to read what fans are saying about you. I've already read multiple tweets from gopher fans saying Jones is gone. If you were 17 or 18 and were thinking about playing for the hometown school, and a lot of fans for that school didn't expect you to stay, don't you think that'd influence your decision at all? It may not make a big impact but it's still a problem that is pretty frustrating.

It would not influence anyone's decision at all unless they were unstable, in which case you don't want the recruit anyways.

Gopher Hole: A lot of your friends who aren't athletes probably already know where they are going to college. Is that tough for you?

Frank Ragnow: I have got friends who are going to Minnesota, who are trying to push me and I have got friends who are applying to Florida State who are trying to push me. They are trying to get their little input, thinking that I am going to base my decision on that.

FSU has 29 committed and are the final choice for another 6-10 more. Can someone explain these numbers to me? How can they potentially have a 35+ person recruiting class?

Jerry Kill is a much better coach than Brady Hoke. I'm really happy Brady passed on us because there is no way we would take him now. If Brady can't win with the talent at Michigan he would be a disaster coaching for us. Our offense focuses on running more than Michigan and that is better for Jeff.

How about just plain out right drop a few roster players on scholarship?

Top Bottom