Syracuse Assistant: "(Minnesota) in for a rude awakening".

Go Pher Yourself

Reaction score
Syracuse assistant coach John Anselmo had Minnesota on his mind Tuesday at the end of a video interview with the SU Athletic Department's All-Access web feature.

"Yeah, I'm excited about Minnesota coming in here," Anselmo said. "I think they'll be in for a rude awakening. This is a different football team than last year, in my opinion."

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2009/08/_syracuse_ny_the.html

Thank you coach for the bulletin board material, just in case we were actually overlooking you for our home opener, this lessens the chance.

He sounds like "Hurricane" Peter McNeely before the Tyson fight in 1995.

Hopefully Syracuse doesn't "wrap us up in a cocoon of horror" as well.

What was he supposed to say?

Minnesota is going to come in here and steam roll our sorry ass team.

He sounds like "Hurricane" Peter McNeely before the Tyson fight in 1995.

Hopefully Syracuse doesn't "wrap us up in a cocoon of horror" as well.

if this board had a rolling on the floor emoticon, i would use it.:D

i truly think he was drunk before the fight
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vW7LbDJSxsA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vW7LbDJSxsA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

although the gophers ain't no iron mike, that's for sure :D

I don't think anyone here expected him to say this - nor do I think anyone here (realistically) expects Minnesota to roll them up by 30 points. But I do think people anticipate coaches saying more vanilla things like "we're going to give them a good game," "we're much improved," etc.

I highly doubt, and I'm sure you'd agree, that this comment has in any way really influenced who will win or lose on Sept 5. Still, an interesting quote.

Maybe something along the lines of "we have a good team and we will give Minnesota a competitive game"? You're asking for legions of eye rolls and loss of legitimacy with a phrase like "rude awakening".

Tempered enthusiasm is the order of the day for a new coaching staff, especially one of a three-win team.

And to stem the inevitable Brewster comparisons (because it's so painfully obvious), he never got diarrhea of the mouth re: a particular opponent, nor never said "Rose Bowl this year".

First, he probably said that for the benefit of his own team, but still it is quite a comment. I do think he may have a point about not comparing last year with this. Part of the Gophers at this time is that due to changes and added players, to resist comparing last year with this. We will see, but hopefully one thing is to not overlook them for the sake of the opening of the new stadium.

Yes! His job is to accept the inevitable and do nothing to change the state of Syracuse football.

Lou Holtz always buttered up opponents, he never gave opponents something that they could tack onto their bulletin board.

"A rude awakening", that's bulletin board material. That doesn't mean your alternative is to talk down your own team.

Home opener?

Thank you coach for the bulletin board material, just in case we were actually overlooking you for our home opener, this lessens the chance.
The game is at Syracuse. No biggie. I'm sure Minnesota thinks they're a new team too.

Even saying "we will give them a competitive game" makes it seem as though they think they will lose (but it will be a good game). A better response would be, "our team is much improved over last year, we will prepare for them and in the end that's all you can do."

I don't put much stock in bulletin board material. Emotion/motivation from statements of the opposing team/coaches is short lived at best.

If the Gopher team needs concrete motivation, I suggest they look at but not dwell on the past five games, especially the season-ending debacle. The 2009 Gopher edition needs to start the season off with a bang and put last year's finish to rest.

Talk is cheap, take care of business!

Go Gophers!!

You had to kinda see this coming. Syracuse isn't rollover material, and I'm going to be really surprised if the gophers win this game with how much attention there is on their first one at home. Call me crazy, but I predict 2-1 after the first 3 with this being the loss.

I don't put much stock in bulletin board material. Emotion/motivation from statements of the opposing team/coaches is short lived at best.

If the Gopher team needs concrete motivation, I suggest they look at but not dwell on the past five games, especially the season-ending debacle. The 2009 Gopher edition needs to start the season off with a bang and put last year's finish to rest.

Talk is cheap, take care of business!

Go Gophers!!

Exactly - just win, and move on.

You had to kinda see this coming. Syracuse isn't rollover material, and I'm going to be really surprised if the gophers win this game with how much attention there is on their first one at home. Call me crazy, but I predict 2-1 after the first 3 with this being the loss.

If we lose to Syracuse, I don't see that we would beat California. This isn't a game that we can take lightly, and there is the danger of looking ahead to the home opener at TCF. This is a game that we ought to win, but it wouldn't be a shocker if we were to lose. The team will have to put the new stadium distractions behind them next week.

If we lose to Syracuse, I don't see that we would beat California. This isn't a game that we can take lightly, and there is the danger of looking ahead to the home opener at TCF. This is a game that we ought to win, but it wouldn't be a shocker if we were to lose. The team will have to put the new stadium distractions behind them next week.

Wishful thinking, I know, but I think we beat Cal. Brewster needs a marquee victory and I have a feeling they could pull this out.

Being at home, at this point, I totally think we can beat Cal, and that would be a marquee win. I saw this morning that Cal is Herbstreet's (sp?) sleeper pick to win the PAC 10 (if not USC). It's no secret that their running back is awesome, but the highlights they showed of him were awesome.

Anyway, we've got two games before then, but that will be fun.

"We're going to go out there and give 110%. We're going to dictate the tempo, play our style of game, eliminate the mental mistakes and God willing good things will happen."

That's what the CRG would have said.

Yeah, um, I hope we beat Syracuse. That's all I have to say. Same goes for Air Force.

And to stem the inevitable Brewster comparisons (because it's so painfully obvious), he never got diarrhea of the mouth re: a particular opponent, ...".

Oh yes, he did.

"And then there’s Minnesota Coach Tim Brewster, who last season reportedly told a group of Minnesota fans the Gophers would beat Wisconsin and he would be the first member of the team to sprint across the field and retrieve the axe."

And how did that work out, Timmy?

stoopid fadger

Oh yes, he did.

"And then there’s Minnesota Coach Tim Brewster, who last season reportedly told a group of Minnesota fans the Gophers would beat Wisconsin and he would be the first member of the team to sprint across the field and retrieve the axe."

How's ButtBoy's "We consider Minnesota in-state recruiting" working out? Waiting for Sentrel's visit are you?

How's ButtBoy's "We consider Minnesota in-state recruiting" working out? Waiting for Sentrel's visit are you?

He already visited. Thanks for checking though. If I had to guess, I would say he is not going to go to Wisconsin.

Tempered enthusiasm is the order of the day for a new coaching staff, especially one of a three-win team.
this year".

You really didn't type that, did you? If there were a phrase to describe the opposite of Punky, it would be tempered enthusiasm.

He is the poster boy for bulletin board material.

Oh yes, he did.

I knew it was only a matter of time until someone accused the pot of calling the kettle black.

How's ButtBoy's "We consider Minnesota in-state recruiting" working out?

It's working out pretty well, actually.

Waiting for Sentrel's visit are you?

I don't know what a Sentrel is. I'm assuming you mean Seantrel Henderson. If he actually goes to MN, congrats on actually managing to keep an in-state kid. What a coup for you.

Wisconsin does lead the nation in cannibalism and zoonecrophilia.

Wisconsin does lead the nation in cannibalism and zoonecrophilia.

Thanks for the fun fact. You do have some peculiar hobbies, following these kind of things. It can be quite enriching to be exposed to other people's pastimes. Sadly, it wasn't in this case, as my interests lie elsewhere, but thanks for taking the time to share.

Top Bottom