Post-Game Thread (Michigan)

We're also missing that Stauskus type player that is strong with the ball and can get a bucket when needed or a dish for a bucket like he did down the stretch a couple times. Austin is supposed to be that guy but wasn't tonight...

Good news, we won the battle on the boards 38-24. Lots of games that's way more than enough I win. We didn't capitalize.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Austin seems to have regressed to the point that he is now a smaller version for Rodney Williams. The only time he gets a basket is when someone throws him an oop. His defense and rebounding is solid, but his offense is brutal. He has even had some really ugly turnovers reminiscent of Rodney last year.

Good news, we won the battle on the boards 38-24. Lots of games that's way more than enough I win. We didn't capitalize.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That actually says a lot. We were +14 on the boards and lost. I'm much more upset than I was after the game. Time to watch Alabama v. Oklahoma.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pitino said "it's all about recruiting" when asked about tying to turn the Gophers into a consistent winner in the Big Ten.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/418935460195360768">January 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good to hear he's already given up on this season.

Austin seems to have regressed to the point that he is now a smaller version for Rodney Williams. The only time he gets a basket is when someone throws him an oop. His defense and rebounding is solid, but his offense is brutal. He has even had some really ugly turnovers reminiscent of Rodney last year.

I disagree... He's made some very nice smooth offensive plays this year. Thing with Austin is, he is being asked to do a whole lot more on the defensive end and rebounding, very similar to the times Rodney struggled too....

Easy now. There is a lot of season left to be played.

Yes, but we need 9 wins, minimum. That means at least 6-3 at home. That isn't happening if we start 0-2 with a loss to Purdue. Sorry.

He's never been a good shooter or scorer. His sophomore year he was efficient, but not amazing. He's actually much better this year than last year except from three. He's not a reliable three point shooter even though he's had a few games where he really nailed them. The sooner he realizes his percentages indicate he shouldn't be jacking up so many outside shots, the sooner our offense will improve.

Disappointing loss tonight because even with a bad shooting night and uncharectericsticly poor games from your top players the game was still right there for the taking. I thought the "role" players really did enough to win tonight but it is hard to put so much on Andre and Austin because they have carried this team at times through their career. Even though it is early in the conference season the next game against Purdue is huge. I wouldn't say it is a must win because it is real early for that but a loss puts you in a tough spot. If the Gophers can limit Hammons inside I am confident in this team bouncing back against Purdue.

Disappointing loss tonight because even with a bad shooting night and uncharectericsticly poor games from your top players the game was still right there for the taking. I thought the "role" players really did enough to win tonight but it is hard to put so much on Andre and Austin because they have carried this team at times through their career. Even though it is early in the conference season the next game against Purdue is huge. I wouldn't say it is a must win because it is real early for that but a loss puts you in a tough spot. If the Gophers can limit Hammons inside I am confident in this team bouncing back against Purdue.

My thoughts exactly. A thin margin of error got thinner. Unfortunately our 3 Tennessee guards had sloppy, poor shooting nights.

I thought pitino had them playing with a lot of energy tonight. I like watching this product a lot more than the tubby teams of the past few years. The hollins's had a bad night, so what, they will play better than this most games. If pitino can keep the guys improving as the season goes along, rather than deflating like past years, I will remain excited about the future of the program.

Good to hear he's already given up on this season.

Did you read the whole thing? Fuller said the question was about being a consistent winner. When talking about being a consistent winner, you're usually talking about year after year. We could be undefeated right now and his comments would mean the exact same thing.

As for the game, like everyone else said, very disappointing. This is a game we should win.

I thought Pitino made a mistake when he took Smith out late in the 4th quarter. He put him back in with about 2 minutes left but Malik was our best offensive player by far in the last 10 minutes of the game. Didn't understand why he took him out.

I thought Pitino made a mistake when he took Smith out late in the 4th quarter. He put him back in with about 2 minutes left but Malik was our best offensive player by far in the last 10 minutes of the game. Didn't understand why he took him out.

He responded to this in the post game, he was concerned about their wings being so much larger than ours. I still would have chanced it with Malik, especially since Oto is our worst free throw shooter.

I thought pitino had them playing with a lot of energy tonight. I like watching this product a lot more than the tubby teams of the past few years. The hollins's had a bad night, so what, they will play better than this most games. If pitino can keep the guys improving as the season goes along, rather than deflating like past years, I will remain excited about the future of the program.

I'm hanging my hat on this. Our strength is our back-court. They played awful and we still almost won. But that can't happen very many times. We're not deep enough in scoring options.

Dre would have had some and 1s if he would just lay the ball in instead of trying to dunk those two times.

Yes, but we need 9 wins, minimum. That means at least 6-3 at home. That isn't happening if we start 0-2 with a loss to Purdue. Sorry.

Puredont is no where near scUM's level, Austin won't be that bad twice in a row, as "bad" as Dre was he still scored 12 points. I think people forgot how good Horford is, very highly touted out of high school, beat psu, nebraska and NW on the road, go 6-3 at home. We win by 10 on Sunday.

Everyone seems to forget that Michigan lost to #1 Arizona by only 1 point without McGary in the second half. This is a good Michigan team and we should have won tonight, but losing tonight is not even the worst loss this season (Arkansas).

Puredont is no where near scUM's level, Austin won't be that bad twice in a row, as "bad" as Dre was he still scored 12 points. I think people forgot how good Horford is, very highly touted out of high school, beat psu, nebraska and NW on the road, go 6-3 at home. We win by 10 on Sunday.

I like everything you said except about Horford. He has been terrible throughout his career. He was regularly abused by opposing bigs whenever he was in the game.

I hope you're right. My Minnesota pessimism won't allow me to think it'll be that easy.

We pooped the bed...plain and simple. When you have a player like Oto in at crunch time, you know your roster isn't ready for prime time. This team needs 40 points a game from the Hollins boys to win. I've said this before...6 Big 10wins are not easily found. This team lacks talent but I believe in what Richie can get done here with some good recruiting. Go Gophers!!!

We pooped the bed...plain and simple. When you have a player like Oto in at crunch time, you know your roster isn't ready for prime time. This team needs 40 points a game from the Hollins boys to win. I've said this before...6 Big 10wins are not easily found. This team lacks talent but I believe in what Richie can get done here with some good recruiting. Go Gophers!!!

thank you, someone with a sense of reality.

Except that if we get 25 points from them tonight we probably win.

Team wins: everything is wonderful. Gopher players are great.

Team loses: everything stinks. Gopher players are terrible.

This board is more bi-polar than my boss's crazy wife.

Reality (as I see it) - Gophers have to make 3's to win games. They actually got some inside scoring tonight from EE and Mo, but it wasn't enough to make up for (relative) lack of outside scoring. Way too many empty offensive possessions. Now- those problems are fixable, but my gut tells me this team is going to be feast or famine all season. They will lose games they probably should have won - like tonight - but they will also win some games they probably should have lost.

The B1G season is going to be interesting, but we may all wind up with ulcers.

Top Bottom