Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.
@collegebbnews: Texas Tech is hoping to get visits from 2014 Minnesotans Rashad Vaughn and Reid Travis.

Go Gophers!!

We know that, at the least, those players had a few year's worth of relationships with that staff. Wouldn't shock me if they took a visit, at least an unofficial. Would surprise me if they ended up there, though.

I seriously hope Tyus and Jahlil don't try to convince Reid to hop on the Duke Train with them if Duke offers... :(

Travis scored 40 last night in the Pulley league playoff game against Austin Hollins and Malik Smith's team. The kids almost beat them.

I seriously hope Tyus and Jahlil don't try to convince Reid to hop on the Duke Train with them if Duke offers... :(

Unfortunately I don't think they would have to do much convincing. We'll just have to hope they don't offer.

Are we sure football isn't still in the mix if Stanford is one of his top choices? I know Travis wants a good business school but basketball would have to count for something. Stanford basketball really doesn't count for anything but mediocrity.

This is from about 3 weeks ago, so there isn't really any groundbreaking news, but thought I'd post it anyway. For anyone who hasn't heard him speak, you can see how well spoken and mature he is. He's an impressive kid. Makes me hope he stays home even more. Sorry if this was already posted, but I don't remember seeing it.

This is from about 3 weeks ago, so there isn't really any groundbreaking news, but thought I'd post it anyway. For anyone who hasn't heard him speak, you can see how well spoken and mature he is. He's an impressive kid. Makes me hope he stays home even more. Sorry if this was already posted, but I don't remember seeing it.

It was already posted, but yes, you are right, a very intelligent kid. Seems pretty even keeled, not too high, not too low. Lets go Pitino, keep him here!

It was already posted, but yes, you are right, a very intelligent kid. Seems pretty even keeled, not too high, not too low. Lets go Pitino, keep him here!

I hear that he's a good dancer as well!

Reid is absolutely #1 on my wish list. I would be ecstatic if we got some of the other 4* and 5* kids we're looking at, but I'd feel a bit disappointed if we didn't land Reid. He's everything I would love to have in a student athlete at the U. Much like Andre Hollins gets a ton of great press for being such a level headed, bright kid; I think Reid would be the exact same. A perfect representation of a 4-year, hard working, student athlete.

Are we sure football isn't still in the mix if Stanford is one of his top choices? I know Travis wants a good business school but basketball would have to count for something. Stanford basketball really doesn't count for anything but mediocrity.

They have a better history than we do.

Agreed. I think he should be our biggest priority.

Reid is absolutely #1 on my wish list. I would be ecstatic if we got some of the other 4* and 5* kids we're looking at, but I'd feel a bit disappointed if we didn't land Reid. He's everything I would love to have in a student athlete at the U. Much like Andre Hollins gets a ton of great press for being such a level headed, bright kid; I think Reid would be the exact same. A perfect representation of a 4-year, hard working, student athlete.

They have a better history than we do.

Not really. Stanford has zero NCAA tourney appearances since 2008 (we have three). I'd say we've been mediocre and Stanford has been less than mediocre in the last five years. And they play in what is typically the weakest major conference.

Historically, they have a handful of NCAA appearances and one Final Four since the 1950's, pretty much just like MN. (Though of course MN's "history" is misleading, given that some of our best teams and players, eg in the 70's, were prevented from playing in the tourney, and of course some of our appearances are no longer officially recognized by the NCAA).

Agreed. I think he should be our biggest priority.

Same here.

Seems as though we have other high level pg's and sg's we are recruiting(other than Tyus and Rashad) but I don't see what other high level pf's that we are being considered by. Am I missing someone?

Paul White is another high level PF, and while Cunningham (forget his first name) is listed as a SF, after watching his game I think Pitino would play him primarily at PF if we got him. Just personal speculation there.

But yes, Reid is far and away our top priority for a big in 2014.

Paul White is another high level PF, and while Cunningham (forget his first name) is listed as a SF, after watching his game I think Pitino would play him primarily at PF if we got him. Just personal speculation there.

But yes, Reid is far and away our top priority for a big in 2014.

Thanks

Can he keep his powder blue kicks when he plays for the U?

On a more serious note, Reid's game reminds me of a lot of my game*

*and then I woke up

Via Dave Telep on ESPN Isider:

Duke is now calling ESPN 100 power forward Reid Travis (Minneapolis/De La Salle). Why not? He’s an AAU teammate of Tyus Jones.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Caught up w/ Reid Travis. On whether he'll take an official to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>: "I'd do an official. You want to show them how committed you are."</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/365919328803094528">August 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>(con.) Travis will decide on his other 4 official visits next week (already did Gonzaga). My suspicion: Stanford, Mich. St., MN, maybe ISU.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/365920484765859840">August 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Caught up w/ Reid Travis. On whether he'll take an official to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>: "I'd do an official. You want to show them how committed you are."</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/365919328803094528">August 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>(con.) Travis will decide on his other 4 official visits next week (already did Gonzaga). My suspicion: Stanford, Mich. St., MN, maybe ISU.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/365920484765859840">August 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

It's crap like this that makes me question Doogie's credibility. I've rarely, if ever, heard any ISU steam with Travis. Also, he's already set up a UCLA visit, so he's got 3 more to schedule. I do agree that MN, MSU, and Stanford will probably be his other 3.

If Reid takes an official here, he'll officially be our best shot at getting one of the big 3. Tyus won't and I don't think Rashad will either since he has 11 teams on his list.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Reid Travis is expected to crawl over (the "U" is his backyard) to the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> offices for an unofficial next week. He's over there a lot.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/365926571711795201">August 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

Make no mistake, Reid likes the U. He grew up in the area and was immersed in Gopher culture from the get go. But it doesn't mean that he will necessarily attend here. He knows there are a lot of great schools out there, and I'm sure he wants to make a well reasoned decision that benefits him best all around. Stanford would be hard to turn down.

Amelia on Travis:

6. Reid Travis: (4-star) – I think Travis’ status has changed tremendously since Pitino came to town. He’s now talked of saving one of his officials for the Gophers and the renewed consideration sounds sincere. Set up a visit for UCLA. Listed the Bruins, Gophers among the other teams he’s strongly considering, including Stanford, Michigan State, Gonzaga (the only school he’s already visited officially), Georgetown and Notre Dame. Travis, who is at the top of the Gophers’ wish list, told me a couple of months ago that he plans to use one of his officials at Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/219016441.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom