Surprise! U of M botches Thursday night opening game logistics

There was only 1 perfect person on the earth, and they hung him on a cross, so somebody will always be bitching.

So Gopherholers, it has come to this. Question, what did the Eagle from the Muppets used to say? Was it “you are all geniuses?” No that wasn’t it. I believe it rhymed with a eardos. Ok, that was harsh and not really called for but sometimes I feel like screaming at you guys (and hey, I like you for the most part)! Ever since I first read this thread I have been itching to respond, but I held back (I counted to ten and then let my breath out… s l o w l y . Breath in, breath out, breath in, commence long-winded rant.

To quote Bart Simpson, “don’t have a cow man!” I know most of you have passion, and that can be a good thing, but calm down and carry on. I’ll be honest, I didn’t read every response; I just couldn’t make myself do that. Further, some of you, like Norman Dale made some good points, while TexasAggie11 (and others) offered some solutions, but most of you are just freaking out over nothing (yes, I understand some of you feel the Gophers took your money and failed to live up to what they promised, valid point). Some just have info or suggestions that were wrong (example the light rail that is still being built, but next year that will be correct).

Some Points (and please do correct me if I’m wrong).

The game will be played. We will have a good time. We will actually be watching live football again!

This is the first time we have opened the season at TCF (vs. the road). Kill wanted this because he thinks it is a disadvantage to start the season on the road (I’m actually fine with starting on the road because students aren’t all on campus yet while the freshmen are just finding their way around) but guess what, the State Fair will be with us for a long time.

It is a night game on a day when we won’t have much competition from other games (but honestly, I don’t know how many non-Gopher, non-Rebels fans will turn it on) so it has a chance for national exposure (and hey, at least one guy and his son from England). Oh yeah, night games are fun.

There are seven more games at home.

They can learn from their mistakes (and may have already to some degree).

They are not going to kick students or staff out of the parking lots, that would send the wrong message (I’m sorry, it really would), in fact, I’ll write a letter of complaint if they do! However, giving the staff a day or half day off as RailBarronYarr pointed out is fine, good even (hell, give them tickets!).

Be mindful of what impact negative ranting can have on potential recruits or fans (not saying you don’t point out the negative or try to fix it, writing a letter to the department is a good idea).

Remember what the “Wild Stallions” (Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure) said (in the future, which I think is now the past); “be good to each other.” You guys curse way too much (like I did after Basic). (note, I put the B&TEA reference in because KillJoy said I like bad movies)

Lastly, yes some of what I wrote was a joke, but seriously, try viewing things with a little perspective.

(All hate mail can be sent to [email protected]. Don’t be a hater.)

images

Try viewing things with a little perspective? I think a lot of us on this board have a little too much perspective. Through the past 10-15 years I've seen our sea of tailgating in downtown Minneapolis dwindle down to a single lot run by the Goal Line Club. If I wasn't a member of the Goal Line Club I couldn't tailgate in downtown Minneapolis. Right next door to the Goal Line Club lot was 2-3 totally empty lots that were just clamoring to be tailgated on but no one could....why? Because the Vikings owned them and they didn't want them dirty for the next days Vikings game. Can you blame the Vikings? No. But what did the U do to improve gameday in downtown Mpls? NOT A DAMN THING. They allowed the Wisconsins and NDSU's of the world to come into downtown and let them close down streets and have block parties. WTF?

Now fast forward to being 'Back On Campus'. It started out kinda okay. Throw out the price of tailgating around the stadium and I think the first year started just fine. I got my spot that I wanted on the West Bank (Lot 88) and most of my friends and family were in Lot 86 and Lot 89. Now going into year 5 they have removed 2 lots from the West Bank and have eliminated the Game Day Shuttle and only bus service is the Campus Commuter thing. Pay no attention that the light rail doesn't open yet for another year. Common sense says do it one more year. My folks and Uncle are in their 70's and need these buses to get to and from the games. We never get any sort of band or cheerleaders or a random appearance from Goldy. The only indication that there is a game that day is the tailgaters with their flags and grills, otherwise people might think we are just there for a picnic along the river.

My little rant is that the U has no clue. They have absolutely no idea what their bread and butter fans want or need from them. They take us for granted. To not be front of this tailgating fiasco is right in line with how they have treated us fans for the past 25 years. I totally understand why a lot of people don't go or choose Vikings games instead.

GoGophers200/My little rant is that the U has no clue. They have absolutely no idea what their bread and butter fans want or need from them. They take us for granted. To not be front of this tailgating fiasco is right in line with how they have treated us fans for the past 25 years.[/QUOTE said:
True that!

Now fast forward to being 'Back On Campus'. It started out kinda okay. Throw out the price of tailgating around the stadium and I think the first year started just fine. I got my spot that I wanted on the West Bank (Lot 88) and most of my friends and family were in Lot 86 and Lot 89. Now going into year 5 they have removed 2 lots from the West Bank and have eliminated the Game Day Shuttle and only bus service is the Campus Commuter thing. Pay no attention that the light rail doesn't open yet for another year. Common sense says do it one more year. My folks and Uncle are in their 70's and need these buses to get to and from the games. We never get any sort of band or cheerleaders or a random appearance from Goldy. The only indication that there is a game that day is the tailgaters with their flags and grills, otherwise people might think we are just there for a picnic along the river.

With all due respect, maybe the U realized that providing the shuttles to and from your lot on gameday, plus lot operations required for tailgating, etc wasn't profitable? Maybe you and your old relatives who cannot walk the distance should either pay a higher rate to tailgate closer in or choose a different pre-game activity that takes advantage of the many bars/restaurants around campus and open space on campus?

This was a big gaffe for the U, but not because tailgating was lost for a game. It was simply because they never communicated it before the ticketing/parking purchase timeframe (maybe they didn't know) and then were not up front about it whenever they did find out. Bad marketing communications, not necessarily bad planning or not listening to their fans' desires. But perhaps, this is an opportunity for some people out there who have their own definition of pre-game fun to try something different. Maybe they'll like it. Maybe it will allow the U to stop using so much valuable urban land for surface parking and turn it back over to developers (or for their own use) that will bring in more shopping/eating/drinking options? Just a thought.

It will be interesting to see r they fill the lots In a smart way in the morning. I don't know if Ski-U-Mah is busy on a weekday, but, for example, they could fill Ski U Mah from east to west if it is open in the morning, and suggest to commuters that they park nose out. Fill it from west to east starting at 2:00 p.m.

I predict they won't do this. Instead some poor sap in the SE corner will show up at 5:30 and go ballistic when they see the party on top of their vehicle.

With all due respect, maybe the U realized that providing the shuttles to and from your lot on gameday, plus lot operations required for tailgating, etc wasn't profitable? Maybe you and your old relatives who cannot walk the distance should either pay a higher rate to tailgate closer in or choose a different pre-game activity that takes advantage of the many bars/restaurants around campus and open space on campus?

This was a big gaffe for the U, but not because tailgating was lost for a game. It was simply because they never communicated it before the ticketing/parking purchase timeframe (maybe they didn't know) and then were not up front about it whenever they did find out. Bad marketing communications, not necessarily bad planning or not listening to their fans' desires. But perhaps, this is an opportunity for some people out there who have their own definition of pre-game fun to try something different. Maybe they'll like it. Maybe it will allow the U to stop using so much valuable urban land for surface parking and turn it back over to developers (or for their own use) that will bring in more shopping/eating/drinking options? Just a thought.

The principal of the WHOLE thing is just a bad omen to how the future of gopher gamedays will be.
No communication is bad enough, but the shutting down of several lots this year, the lack of other gameday options(private lots still banned, Sally's now closed, no shuttle from west bank, etc etc)
is just exhausting.
It takes almost no effort to see what the main problem with the gameday atmosphere is. Almost none.
I'm seriously coming to the conclusion that the admin, including the athletics dept doesn't give a rat's A about the football program. It will never get better if there's no effort to change things.
A 9 or 10 win season will not change things, but a change in culture from whatever this attitude towards things is to an all hands on deck approach will.

Try viewing things with a little perspective? I think a lot of us on this board have a little too much perspective. Through the past 10-15 years I've seen our sea of tailgating in downtown Minneapolis dwindle down to a single lot run by the Goal Line Club. If I wasn't a member of the Goal Line Club I couldn't tailgate in downtown Minneapolis. Right next door to the Goal Line Club lot was 2-3 totally empty lots that were just clamoring to be tailgated on but no one could....why? Because the Vikings owned them and they didn't want them dirty for the next days Vikings game. Can you blame the Vikings? No. But what did the U do to improve gameday in downtown Mpls? NOT A DAMN THING. They allowed the Wisconsins and NDSU's of the world to come into downtown and let them close down streets and have block parties. WTF?

My little rant is that the U has no clue. They have absolutely no idea what their bread and butter fans want or need from them. They take us for granted. To not be front of this tailgating fiasco is right in line with how they have treated us fans for the past 25 years. I totally understand why a lot of people don't go or choose Vikings games instead.

+1 on the bold! Nailed it!

If only you guys cared halfway as much about the actual game as you do about tailgating......Only 4 hours to tailgate, oh the injustice!! Get a clue, the "U" is not going to cater to a group that only makes up a fraction of the fan base.

You're acting as if they cater to this "small group", it would somehow disrupt the experience of the others.

The answer to this whole problem is rather simple:

Tailgating begins at noon on a first come, first serve basis. If the lot is full, cars must wait until an employee leaves. By 3 pm, the lots will open on a full term basis.

Being that it's a Thursday and we just don't have that many die hard tailgaters, there will be plenty of space for anybody who wants to do a six hour tailgate.

For those who have season passes to the Fairgrounds and can no longer use them, offer a prorated discount if they don't want to park in the Oak Street ramp.

Now I'm sure there's a committee with 17 administrators making six-figures who had nine meetings to discuss why there's a rule in article 371.b that states why this won't work. But that's the common sense approach.

Tailgating begins at noon on a first come, first serve basis. If the lot is full, cars must wait until an employee leaves. By 3 pm, the lots will open on a full term basis.

Being that it's a Thursday and we just don't have that many die hard tailgaters, there will be plenty of space for anybody who wants to do a six hour tailgate.

For those who have season passes to the Fairgrounds and can no longer use them, offer a prorated discount if they don't want to park in the Oak Street ramp.

Now I'm sure there's a committee with 17 administrators making six-figures who had nine meetings to discuss why there's a rule in article 371.b that states why this won't work. But that's the common sense approach.

Yep that would work. I may just head down at noon and press my luck regardless. I'll even pay the 4$

I am hoping to make it down to tailgate that thursday. I guess I will have to wait and see what pans out.

So back in 2009 when we selected our seats and tailgate spot did it say anything in the 9 brochures the U sent out that in less than 5 years that they would close 2 of the West Bank lots AND remove the game day shuttle service? If they would have said that at that time we would have looked at other options. I guess I thought things would maybe be different with the move to campus and that they would have thought things out and our tailgate experience was part of their vision to improve game day atmosphere, but of course it's proving to be another round of miscues where I don't think the U gives a rats ass and their thought process is reactionary vs. being proactive. Same old same old.

http://outdoor.umn.edu

Solution: Get a registered student organization or a university department to file for an outdoor use permit beginning at 8:00 am. I'm sure the available space will be a little ways away from the stadium, but at least you can tailgate all day like champs.

http://outdoor.umn.edu

Solution: Get a registered student organization or a university department to file for an outdoor use permit beginning at 8:00 am. I'm sure the available space will be a little ways away from the stadium, but at least you can tailgate all day like champs.

Would you please send a resume to our athletic department? You are nothing but good ideas, thanks for contributing.

Would you please send a resume to our athletic department? You are nothing but good ideas, thanks for contributing.

+1,000. But can he respond to all emails withing 10 minutes? This is the most important qualification for the job...

One of the worst things about Thursday games is NO thought for those of us who live in the outstate area. Why not start the game at 8 PM, it's only on the BTN. I won't get down to tailgate, I may not make it for kickoff!

So then let's just alienate them, right?
This fraction is exactly what is missing from the fanbase: passionate, semi obsessed, but extremely loyal young fans who will be fans through crap seasons like the 2 before last. Tailgating is what sustained a lot of people through 2010 and 2011, regardless if we got smoked, it was a way to meet up with friends, have a few, and have some fun on a weekend.
But we know the u will cater to the slug rich folks who don't show up in those lots until 10 min to kickoff, can't even find it in themselves to clap along with the rouser, then leave at halftime complaining the whole way home and the whole next week.

Agreed. Folks complain about the lack of support, the aging fanbase, generally poor student support, lack of excitement in the stadium, etc.... I made it down to a few Vikings tailgates last year. You want to see a loyal fanbase that gets up and turns gameday into an all day event? These are the folks standing the entire game, the ones cheering the loudest, and the ones that bring the energy that Gophers games have lacked as of recently.

No better way to prepare for the game than to spend several hours building up anticipation along with other fans.

Problem? Solution. It's not rocket science.

Next year:

Have you guys noticed that ever since Assistant AD Aggie was hired, no Gopher games have been scheduled at the same time as Texas A&M games? :cool:

From ESPN B1G blog mailbag:

Mitch from East Lansing, Mich., writes: Hey Adam, I'm a current MSU senior and I love my football program. But there is one thing that drives me absolutely off the wall about it. Friday night games. If you've noticed, MSU has kicked off the past 2 seasons with a Friday night home game, and they're doing it again this year. I'm a science major, which means that I have Friday classes. This upcoming semester, I have Calculus 3 at 3 PM. Tailgating starts at 1 PM for night games. That means that walking to and from class through MSU's huge campus will entail having to weave through drunken tailgaters. But this isn't nearly as bad as it is for those students who commute. Parking lots around campus are closed down for tailgating, meaning that commuting students need to use lots that are a 30+ minute walk from their classes. I know that many college students don't have Friday classes, but this is getting out of hand for those of us who do. I feel like this is the complete opposite of what the NCAA wants- to put the emphasis on education and not on athletics. Will ADs realize this and put a stop on Friday/Thursday night games, or is the money too big to think about the students?

Adam Rittenberg: Mitch, my man, you're a senior and you're taking calculus on Friday afternoons? You clearly missed the seminar on senior scheduling. Friday at 3 is beer o'clock to most folks. All kidding aside, I understand your frustration, and the hassle the season opener will create for you, your classmates and all the commuter students on Aug. 30. The reason you're seeing more Thursday/Friday night games is the branding opportunity it creates for teams. Michigan State has the Big Ten stage by itself on the Friday night, rather than being in a crowd of games at noon on Saturday. Last year's opener against Boise State was more of a national showcase and would have received attention on Saturday, but more people will pay attention to Michigan State-Western Michigan on Friday night than Saturday afternoon. Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis, one of the more creative ADs when it comes to scheduling, saw an opportunity when many Michigan high schools moved their Labor Day weekend games to Thursday night rather than Friday night. Many fans start the holiday weekend early and can attend a Friday night game, especially when it doesn't conflict with high school contests. Hollis wrote in his blog in 2011: "We realize that some challenges are created due to work schedules and we respect the campus academic mission of the day. At the same time, the timing of this game brings a positive impact to our team, fans and state." I also see the value in these games. They're fun for many MSU students and fans. But I understand that it creates a hassle for you and others.

MSU gets it. Use a platform like a weeknight season opener to feature your school around the country. The AD takes a respectful but tough stance on the gameday/parking logistics, and give your fans a great opener to the labor day weekend.

So back in 2009 when we selected our seats and tailgate spot did it say anything in the 9 brochures the U sent out that in less than 5 years that they would close 2 of the West Bank lots AND remove the game day shuttle service? If they would have said that at that time we would have looked at other options. I guess I thought things would maybe be different with the move to campus and that they would have thought things out and our tailgate experience was part of their vision to improve game day atmosphere, but of course it's proving to be another round of miscues where I don't think the U gives a rats ass and their thought process is reactionary vs. being proactive. Same old same old.

No, it also didn't say we'd have a new coach, nor did they know the home game schedule, the name of the AD, the number of season ticket holders and tailgate lot pass holders, etc. I didn't say I know the inner workings of every decision made by the U.. did it occur to anybody that tailgate demand has actually gone DOWN since the opening of the stadium? If we want the AD and football program to act like a business in an effort to maximize the money the football program actually nets, it's very possible they did just that by closing down 2 satellite lots that required expensive shuttle service. With that in mind, I know for a fact that lot upgrades have been offered in the past seasons - I was in the latter half of the groups and still had the opportunity (which I passed on). So it's not like a choice wasn't presented to you.

I agree that the city is frustrating in their limitations on private lot tailgating and that the U hasn't shown the kahones that someone could. But also remember the general negative attitude towards the U from the public, legislators, and media. The U isn't moving, and also relies on the city to get things done on a daily basis and the state for funding, which puts them in a sh!tty spot for being outspoken when negotiating, especially since the football team itself has had poor on-field success for nearly 50 years (which means there's a very limited diehard fanbase clamoring for their support). I don't envy their position. We can all also agree that Maturi was a good AD from a books perspective but clearly did not have a finger on the pulse of what fans wanted and wasn't willing to stick his neck out for anything. He assumed a stadium on right on campus would be enough.

Some creative thinking regarding this State Fair fiasco along with some honest, open dialogue with fans would have gone a long way, obviously.

It is a bummer to see more of these rinky dink management decisions and disregard to gameday atmosphere. Like many people, I was hoping a change in leadership at the 'U' would turn the tables on stuff like this. I always enjoy reading Ole's comments on gameday atmosphere because they almost always match my own opinions. I wish he was in charge over there.

Because people keep saying they closed two lots, I feel the need to point out they really only closed one. Lot 88 and Lot 86 were redesigned by the U last year into one larger parking lot. Lot 88 wasn't closed by the U, all those spots are in the redesigned and larger lot 86 now.

Last season anyone with a lot 88 pass was parking in Lot 86. When it was time for me to renew parking, our Lot 88 pass was placed in Lot 86.

It is a bummer to see more of these rinky dink management decisions and disregard to gameday atmosphere. Like many people, I was hoping a change in leadership at the 'U' would turn the tables on stuff like this. I always enjoy reading Ole's comments on gameday atmosphere because they almost always match my own opinions. I wish he was in charge over there.

Thanks!
I'd get things squared away on gameday.
I would probably make a poor AD though. Too emotional, and I'd probably get caught boozing with tailgaters in Lot 37.

This thread has turned into another classic rant. I'm in Lot 8 and see this as a minor inconvenience. I find it amusing people worry about the traffic and parking. If you follow their logic, you should hope the Gophers go 1-11 every year so we don't have to worry about getting in and out the stadium with ease. Suck it up and embrace it as this a good thing.

This thread has turned into another classic rant. I'm in Lot 8 and see this as a minor inconvenience. I find it amusing people worry about the traffic and parking. If you follow their logic, you should hope the Gophers go 1-11 every year so we don't have to worry about getting in and out the stadium with ease. Suck it up and embrace it as this a good thing.

+1000

No, it also didn't say we'd have a new coach, nor did they know the home game schedule, the name of the AD, the number of season ticket holders and tailgate lot pass holders, etc. I didn't say I know the inner workings of every decision made by the U.. did it occur to anybody that tailgate demand has actually gone DOWN since the opening of the stadium? If we want the AD and football program to act like a business in an effort to maximize the money the football program actually nets, it's very possible they did just that by closing down 2 satellite lots that required expensive shuttle service. With that in mind, I know for a fact that lot upgrades have been offered in the past seasons - I was in the latter half of the groups and still had the opportunity (which I passed on). So it's not like a choice wasn't presented to you.

I agree that the city is frustrating in their limitations on private lot tailgating and that the U hasn't shown the kahones that someone could. But also remember the general negative attitude towards the U from the public, legislators, and media. The U isn't moving, and also relies on the city to get things done on a daily basis and the state for funding, which puts them in a sh!tty spot for being outspoken when negotiating, especially since the football team itself has had poor on-field success for nearly 50 years (which means there's a very limited diehard fanbase clamoring for their support). I don't envy their position. We can all also agree that Maturi was a good AD from a books perspective but clearly did not have a finger on the pulse of what fans wanted and wasn't willing to stick his neck out for anything. He assumed a stadium on right on campus would be enough.

Some creative thinking regarding this State Fair fiasco along with some honest, open dialogue with fans would have gone a long way, obviously.

I think with the Vikings playing at TCF that the Vikings will push for opening up private parking/tailgating and that the U should join the push.

I think with the Vikings playing at TCF that the Vikings will push for opening up private parking/tailgating and that the U should join the push.

So you're saying our only hope is Lester Bagley?

andy-and-red.jpg

Red:
Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

Andy Dufresne: [in letter to Red] Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Agreed. Folks complain about the lack of support, the aging fanbase, generally poor student support, lack of excitement in the stadium, etc.... I made it down to a few Vikings tailgates last year. You want to see a loyal fanbase that gets up and turns gameday into an all day event? These are the folks standing the entire game, the ones cheering the loudest, and the ones that bring the energy that Gophers games have lacked as of recently.

No better way to prepare for the game than to spend several hours building up anticipation along with other fans.

The NFL while not specifically promoting it (wink wink) does nothing to discourage their fans from being loud, drunken partiers. This isn't just here - I've seen it in other markets as well. I'd say at least 70% of fans at Vikings games are well into their cups by game time. Ever since 1998, Vikings games have been one massive boozefest, and that's why they're so popular, even in down years.

Look at the tailgate scene at Penn State, or almost any SEC school (even the bad ones). Look at the party atmosphere that surrounds the Badgers these days. There's no atmosphere like that here because the city and the university don't want it.

Top Bottom