All Things JP Macura Thread UPDATED 7/11: GOPHERS offer JP!

You don't want 4 slow guys on the court, but even the best teams, like Louisville, find a way to get a shooter on the court by allowing that player to guard the slowest offensive player.

You don't want 4 slow guys on the court, but even the best teams, like Louisville, find a way to get a shooter on the court by allowing that player to guard the slowest offensive player.

Syracuse, Indiana and Michigan did this to good effect as well.

Yep, every team can use at least one lights out shooter. They can be hidden on defense by guarding the other team's least effective guard or by playing zone. Just think how important Hoffarber would've been on this year's team.

This would be a no-brainer if Macura were 6-9, but he's 6-4. If he grows, then give him a look. If this is as tall as he gets, then he's a good player at the high D2 level or low D1. We'll have to wait and see.

This would be a no-brainer if Macura were 6-9, but he's 6-4. If he grows, then give him a look. If this is as tall as he gets, then he's a good player at the high D2 level or low D1. We'll have to wait and see.

Thats just ignorant. Hoffarber was the same size.

To me, way more important than growing is if he is an ok ball handler. Hoff was able to be a good college basketball player because he could ball handle a little bit and he had a quick release. If Macura is the same way, he doesn't need to be 6'9".

The biggest issue that I saw in his highlights is that he seems to do a lot of work posting up smaller HS guards and shooting over them, he won't be able to do that in college.

His release looks pretty quick, so if he can handle the ball well, he could be a pretty good Big 10 caliber player.

^^^ completely agree with Bob's take. Hoff wasn't an outstanding pure And-1 type dribbler, but had great knowledge of how to protect the ball, how to handle, and how to pass (esp. feed the post). This helped him get minutes quite a bit as he was limited defensively (and offensively other than the 3 ball his first two years)

Definitely agree with the height thing. If he is taller than he can play more of a perimeter SF role instead of trying to be a SG.

His handles/speed wouldn't be bad for a 3 spot but I definitely think he would be behind the curve for a B1G SG.

JP is listed as 6'5". Hoffarber was listed at 6'4" in shoes in college. Gophers list players height with shoes on. Check out the NBA combine i would take bets that Trevor is 6'6" and change without shoes, 6'7" 1/2 in shoes. Rodney 6'5" and 6'6"1/2 with shoes. Macura looks about as fast as Hoffarber and appears to be a bit taller.

JP is listed as 6'5". Hoffarber was listed at 6'4" in shoes in college. Gophers list players height with shoes on. Check out the NBA combine i would take bets that Trevor is 6'6" and change without shoes, 6'7" 1/2 in shoes. Rodney 6'5" and 6'6"1/2 with shoes. Macura looks about as fast as Hoffarber and appears to be a bit taller.

Not to get all DP on this, but when is the last time you saw a basketball player play without shoes on? Height without shoes has no impact or relevance what so ever to basketball.

Right now we have 6 tenders for 2014. We may well see JP in the maroon and gold.

I posted this in another thread, but I think JP fits the role of Lee Humphrey for the 2006-2007 Billy Donovan Florida national championship team. If he is as much of a marksman as some make him out to be, I don't care what position he plays, he would come in to shoot the ball and be a guard in the 2-3 and would amlost exclusively play in the 2-3 on defense because of his size and or speed limitations.

However, from what I remember when I coached against JP while he was in 8th grade, he's a bit more athletic and plays much faster than the video shows of Lee's style (obvious issues with competition and adjusting to the system).

Long story short, I think JP would/could fit nicely in to a system that needs spot up shooters and wants to run the floor. Any size/speed concerns can be hidden/minimized in games where we are getting up and down the court as well as an extended aggressive 2-3 zone which Pitino seems to favor. I like JP's spunk, hes a bit on the cocky side, but he is also an emotional player that can and will get on some nasty hot streaks. I would be excited to get him, IF he is as good a shooter as we have been sold on.

I posted this in another thread, but I think JP fits the role of Lee Humphrey for the 2006-2007 Billy Donovan Florida national championship team. If he is as much of a marksman as some make him out to be, I don't care what position he plays, he would come in to shoot the ball and be a guard in the 2-3 and would amlost exclusively play in the 2-3 on defense because of his size and or speed limitations.

From what I remember when I coached against JP when he was in 8th grade, hes a bit more athletic and plays much faster than the video shows of Lee's style (obvious issues with competition and adjusting to the system).

Long story short, I think JP would/could fit nicely in to a system that needs spot up shooters and wants to run the floor. Any size/speed concerns can be hidden/minimized in games where we are getting up and down the court as well as an extended aggressive 2-3 zone which Pitino seems to favor. I like JP's spunk, hes a bit on the cocky side, but he is also an emotional player that can and will get on some nasty hot streaks. I would be excited to get him, IF he is as good a shooter as we have been sold on.

for comparison's sake, latest JP highlight.

I highly disagree he is Definitely not going to be a D2 player, he is legitimate Division I Scholarship basketball player. He reminds me a lot of Paul Jesperson, I kid that we recruited a couple years back that ended up at Virginia And is having mild success in the ACC.

While he doesn't look pretty (athletically), he gets the job done and definitely has the shot. He seems to have a very good handle on the ball, which we all know is one of our weaknesses right now. I'd try him at the point if we miss out on Tyus.

While he doesn't look pretty (athletically), he gets the job done and definitely has the shot. He seems to have a very good handle on the ball, which we all know is one of our weaknesses right now. I'd try him at the point if we miss out on Tyus.

I'm sure what you meant to say was wing if we miss out on Vaughn.

Not to get all DP on this, but when is the last time you saw a basketball player play without shoes on? Height without shoes has no impact or relevance what so ever to basketball.

But it does if you are comparing people heights with or without shoes. So the NBA camps that measure players without shoes are all idots in your opinion that is fine, how much do you make a year? I have brought this up when people have talked about certain players going from undersized pf to te in the nfl. They will say something like Trevor is 6'8" and too tall. They will compare him to NFL tight ends who are 6'5" or 6'6" without shoes. This and only this is the point. I have a cover of a magazine from way back with Jim Jackson of Ohio st. and Steve Smith on it. Smith is at least 3-4 inches taller! Yet in college both were listed as 6'6". It wasn't until NBA draft camp that we found JJ to be 6'4" and Smith to be 6'7" without shoes. IF you don't measure without shoes I will go to a camp with 4 inch lifts in my basketball shoes!

But it does if you are comparing people heights with or without shoes. So the NBA camps that measure players without shoes are all idots in your opinion that is fine, how much do you make a year? I have brought this up when people have talked about certain players going from undersized pf to te in the nfl. They will say something like Trevor is 6'8" and too tall. They will compare him to NFL tight ends who are 6'5" or 6'6" without shoes. This and only this is the point. I have a cover of a magazine from way back with Jim Jackson of Ohio st. and Steve Smith on it. Smith is at least 3-4 inches taller! Yet in college both were listed as 6'6". It wasn't until NBA draft camp that we found JJ to be 6'4" and Smith to be 6'7" without shoes. IF you don't measure without shoes I will go to a camp with 4 inch lifts in my basketball shoes!

Creative loophole you found in the system. Would you want to play with those lifts in? Pretty sure at combines you have to wear the same shoes for measurement as you do for drills/scrimmaging.

If you are comparing basketball player to basketball player and have both measurements, with shoes and without, with shoes is the relevant one.

To take your 4 inch lift comment, lets say Dwight Howard is 6-8 without shoes and Brooke Lopez is 7-0 without shoes. Brooke's shoes that he plays in give him no height bump. Dwight's shoes give him a 4 inch height bump so he is now 7-0 with shoes, on the court.

Assuming those 4 inch lifts don't hinder his play, when Lopez is sizing Dwight up I am sure he will think to himself. K. Dwight is only 6-8 without shoes, I've got a clear height advantage here. In reality, on the court both are 7-0 and neither has a height advantage.

See the point? When playing basketball a person is wearing shoes. So the only measurement that should matter to someone selecting a person to play basketball is that with shoes.

Now, for a casual fan who is just curious who's really taller than who. Sure, without shoes can be fun to know.

Jesus this shoes thing is such a stupid argument.

Wingspan and how long you play matters more than actual height. It just so happens that height usually correlates with wingspan.

There are however plenty of examples of elite NBA players whose wingspan is significantly longer than their listed height.

Macura looks like a decent player, but his ceiling is going to be limited by his tweener athleticism and height. If he is 6'4" that's a good height for a SG but he doesn't have elite speed or athleticism. If he ended up being 6'6-6'7 he probably would have a good shot at being a productive B1G player. His handles are pretty good but would be very good if he was a 3. The guy can obviously shoot pretty well so I would lift everyday and sleep hanging upside down for the next year.

Jesus this shoes thing is such a stupid argument.

Wingspan and how long you play matters more than actual height. It just so happens that height usually correlates with wingspan.

There are however plenty of examples of elite NBA players who's wingspan is significantly longer than their listed height.

Macura looks like a decent player, but his ceiling is going to be limited by his tweener athleticism and height. If he is 6'4" that's a good height for a SG but he doesn't have elite speed or athleticism. If he ended up being 6'6-6'7 he probably would have a good shot at being a productive B1G player. His handles are pretty good but would be very good if he was a 3. The guy can obviously shoot pretty well so I would lift everyday and sleep hanging upside down for the next year.

Nice depth player on an athletic team maybe? The other team goes zone and in he comes to break it. Nice to be able to handle changes in the game with varying personnel.

With or without shoes, I am at my ideal weight if I was 9'7" tall.

The shoe argument is about as interesting as running a 4.4 40 and whether it was electronic or hand held.

Nice depth player on an athletic team maybe? The other team goes zone and in he comes to break it. Nice to be able to handle changes in the game with varying personnel.
He'd get respect if he tried to walk on in my book, dude isn't a scholarship B1G player right now.

I bet we end up with this kid since we'll likely have at least 4 or 5 scholarships free for 2014.

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow 36s
Lakeville North 2014 guard JP Macura is receiving stronger interest from the #Gophers new staff. Should they offer? Shooters hard to find.

I highly disagree he is Definitely not going to be a D2 player, he is legitimate Division I Scholarship basketball player. He reminds me a lot of Paul Jesperson, I kid that we recruited a couple years back that ended up at Virginia And is having mild success in the ACC.
+ 2 Jesperson may be a little taller. Worse case senario he's a mid major. It's too bad Rodney never learned to post up and shoot over people like this kid does.

We could use a shooter!

Couldn't agree more. If Pitino wants up tempo offense then a guy who can spot up and hit jumpers can change games. Tim Henderson changed the game for the Ville vs Wichita. Hancock and Albrecht created their own runs from beyond the arc. I believe a kid that has range and can finish with either hand like it appears this kid can will only be an asset.

Everywhere I look JP Macura is listed at 6'5" yet people keep saying 6'4" see the problem? Trevor is listed at 6'8" yet all those commentators will mention how the 6'10" Plumlee has 4-5 inches on him. I wish there was a more official measurement of prospects. Anyway from "video" he looks to be at least as tall as the Hoff and he has another year and a half before his first college game.

@gophersnow: Lakeville North 2014 guard JP Macura is receiving stronger interest from the #Gophers new staff. Should they offer? Shooters hard to find.

Go Gophers!!

One thing that bugs me a little bit is he has somewhat of a low release point on his shot. I think Macura will be a fall back option if they can't bring in a shooter that's more highly regarded and more athletic.

Top Bottom