I drove my the stadium yesterday and I have go say

maroonfive

Reaction score
the depression is about to end. I love getting psyched up for Gopher football especially when it is a big game or a rival game. I would then stop and think and the feeling would come over me. Going to the dome was so overwhelmingly depressing it was hard to enjoy the game. The stale air and atmosphere would suck the life right out of you.
I thought about this yesterday during the rain. To most yesterday would be considered a depressing day. I however do not and would be in my seat standing with my gold rain poncho on smiling from ear to ear. This is what it is all about. Either rain coming down sideways or sitting in glorious sunshine the depression is about to end. I envison where the band, cheerleaders, and students will be yelling and cheering. This is how it is suppose to be. This is football, Gopher football. This is as good as it gets. September 12th cannot come soon enough.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gopher fans now need to start some cool Chants! after first downs, after a sack by the defense, on 4th down, etc etc...

We need something unique.

Gopher fans now need to start some cool Chants! after first downs, after a sack by the defense, on 4th down, etc etc...

We need something unique.

And some things should be left behind at the Dome:
1) Pumped in loud speaker noise for opponents 3rd downs. That was embarrassing. :eek:
2) ...and that's another Golden Gopher 1st Down!!!

Talk about unique!

Wouldn't it be nice to have a public address announcer that would keep it simple and yet be unique like the late Jules Perlt? Perlt had a distinctive as well as a dramatic voice.

The Mike Max clip with Bobby Bell and Judge Dickson has a very short example of Perlt's announcing. He was always quick and accurate with the names of the players involved in the play. He was a professional that added to the game day atmosphere. A simple but dramatic delivery. He'd tease the stadium with scores of other games in play (those were the days when most games had a 1 o'clock start). Good memories.

It'd be nice to have another unique public address announcer. Not a copy but an original.

Go Gophers!!

1) Pumped in loud speaker noise for opponents 3rd downs. That was embarrassing. :eek:
I would keep the 1st down cheer, at least people participate.

I like the first down chant...anything game related that gets the crowd active is good to me.

I also like the first down chant. Having been to other stadiums where they don't anything after first downs, I found that the first down chant really adds something to the atmosphere.

PLease! Please! Please!.....No pumped-in music or that awful inflatable tunnel. Biggest embarrassments in college football.

PLease! Please! Please!.....No pumped-in music or that awful inflatable tunnel. Biggest embarrassments in college football.

So you wouldn't like the Gophers running out of a giant inflatable Helmet? I think that would be kinda cool!

I, too, think the first down chant is lame

that is the same thing they do at Vikings games on 1st down. I believe its the same P.A guy is it not?

I like what the Broncos fans do. IN-COM-PLETE! after an incomplete pass.

I like the first down chant. It's one of the view things that engages the entire stadium.

Get rid of that inflatable tunnel! The sooner the better! Ditto for the pumped-in 3rd down music. Whoever was running the Dump sound board seemed that the later in the game it was, the more important he felt it was to crank the music up and drown out the band and students.

The first-down chant at Gopher games is fine. The reason it works is that you have the 10,000-person student section driving the chant. I've been to enough Vikes games to know that attempting the first down chant is a big mistake there. NO ONE chants it.

all i want is a team entrance that gets the crowd pumped up so people will get there early. I have always wanted to have a cool entrance where the whole crowd is just crazy excited and where anticipation of the team running out on to the field is built up to a loud/high level, something like Tennessee, florida, Virginia Tech to name a few...

Heres a link I found for those to look at, gives me chills and makes me so pumped for 9-12-09

http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/006896.php

Keep the first down chant. It makes no sense to get rid of the one thing that everyone knows and actually participates in. Plus I like the short bit the band does after.

Keep the first down chant. It makes no sense to get rid of the one thing that everyone knows and actually participates in. Plus I like the short bit the band does after.

i agree...and vikeologist...i dont know why it is lame, but it just is, thats the best explaination i got

Put me down as one that really wants to keep the first down chant. Like others have said, it gets the crowd involved.

I'm 99% sure we will have pumped in, recorded music for 3rd downs, probably team entrance and any other place they can put that crap instead of the band. Let's face it, as sad and frustrating as it is, they are not putting in a huge scoreboard and state-of-the-art sound system to be unused while the "old-fashioned" band plays. Just as the last few years, it will be MORE video clips, MORE recorded music, and LESS college football atmosphere.

Someone at the U seems to believe that people buy Gopher tickets because they actually want to go to a Vikings game. I feel otherwise...if I wanted recorded music and inflatables I'd buy tickets to a Vikings game or a carnival or something. I buy tickets to the Gophers because I want marching band, cheerleaders, student section cheers, etc.

I’m new to “Brew’s Crew Football Forum” and this is my first post. Thought I’d add to this discussion with my perspective on the worst of the dome.

First the setting: The Gophers are driving and have Iowa / Wisconsin / Michigan / … (your pick) on their heals, forcing our foe to take a timeout. Great time for the band to strike up the Rouser and really get the crown into the game. But no, the powers that be decide this is the perfect moment to hold a tire race between Sam from Eden Prairie and Deb from St. Paul. The building crescendo is cut off at its knees. All so everyone in section #233, row #4 can win a 6-inch sub from (insert your favorite sandwich shop).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no liberal, but this commercial garbage during timeouts has to go. It literally sucks the air out of the crowd (and the team).

Finally

some other people that dont like the first down chant. To me it sounds-----juvenile I guess is the word. Maybe lame is better. I cant put my finger on it either but it sounds too contrived--kind of bush league. Hope it doesnt take something like that to get the crowd involved. Its especially bad when the game has been decided and the fans fake enthusiasm.

I'm afraid if you want a game with little to no frills, where the actual fan can enjoy the game, the only places left may be Wrigley and Fenway...and even Wrigley has changed things a little (there are now video races of some kind). Sponsorship pays the bills, and it wouldn't surprise me if it continues in TCF.

but the pumped in music has to go. I'm sick of my alma matter giving money to Guns N' Roses.

The reason I like the first down chant is:

1) For some of the lame fans, it's the only time they will cheer.
2) It drives opposing fans nuts.

I'm afraid if you want a game with little to no frills, where the actual fan can enjoy the game, the only places left may be Wrigley and Fenway

Add to that Notre Dame football and some other college football stadiums as well. When I was at Notre Dame two years ago, it was college all the way. No pumped in music, no video advertisements, no tire races, or subway giveaways, or PA announcers asking people to cheer or trying to sell you anything. Just a football game, the band, mascot, cheerleaders, etc.

The only "interuptions" were during TV timeouts when different Irish teams would be introduced on the field for reunions (the '77 national championship FB team was there minus Joe Montana), championships, academic recognitions, etc. Since the football games ARE the event on that campus and the heart of the athletic department, the whole department and all 25+ teams are a part of the show. And it's a show that doen't include inflatables or fireworks and no one drives a Dogde pickup onto the field. I understand that we are far different from ND, but..come on...do we REALLY need to be so rediculously commercialized all the time?!?

Don't get me wrong, though...I am still VERY pumped for the new stadium and still love Gopher football and the whole experience. I just wish Game Day would quit being so commercialized...it's embarrasing and the true definition of "bush league" in my book. I know these gimics pay a few bills, but come on...its making our games a joke! End of rant...still can't wait for 9/12/09!

Add to that Notre Dame football and some other college football stadiums as well. When I was at Notre Dame two years ago, it was college all the way. No pumped in music, no video advertisements, no tire races, or subway giveaways, or PA announcers asking people to cheer or trying to sell you anything. Just a football game, the band, mascot, cheerleaders, etc.

The only "interuptions" were during TV timeouts when different Irish teams would be introduced on the field for reunions (the '77 national championship FB team was there minus Joe Montana), championships, academic recognitions, etc. Since the football games ARE the event on that campus and the heart of the athletic department, the whole department and all 25+ teams are a part of the show. And it's a show that doen't include inflatables or fireworks and no one drives a Dogde pickup onto the field. I understand that we are far different from ND, but..come on...do we REALLY need to be so rediculously commercialized all the time?!?

Don't get me wrong, though...I am still VERY pumped for the new stadium and still love Gopher football and the whole experience. I just wish Game Day would quit being so commercialized...it's embarrasing and the true definition of "bush league" in my book. I know these gimics pay a few bills, but come on...its making our games a joke! End of rant...still can't wait for 9/12/09!

Im sure if we had the type of TV contract that Notre Dame has then we could afford to be less commercialized.

first down chant blows

While it's not as lame as Penn State's gay lion roar, the first down chant is corny.

When the gophers are driving and driving and the opponents can't stop them, the first drive chant is demoralizing. I've heard many opposing team's fans get really irritated with the chant (the inability for them to stop our drives).

I could either way on the first down chant, when we are winning, or on the verge of a momentum changing TD, the chant is great. When things are not going our way, or we are down 55-0, I think they should scrap it, its just embarrassing to cheer for a first down at that point.

I could either way on the first down chant, when we are winning, or on the verge of a momentum changing TD, the chant is great. When things are not going our way, or we are down 55-0, I think they should scrap it, its just embarrassing to cheer for a first down at that point.

Agree!!

Top Bottom