Jim Souhan tee's off on Tubby in column: Tubby sends all the wrong messages

Souhan was kissing tubbys rear a couple of weeks ago now the two faced back stabber does a hack job after tubbys first upset as more than a 2 point fav. this season

Souhan writes an article that doesn't rip on team = "kissing Tubby's rear"

Souhan writes an article criticizing team after a game they should have won = "2 faced back stabber does a hack job"

That's great.

THEBRUCE!

We are a people of remarkable patience here, west of the river. A topic of conversation on this board and in the community in general is why do our teams suck and our neighbors' to the east do so much better, particularly the hated Packers and the Badgers' BB and football teams. One major factor is that they are dead serious about winning and are surly and impatient about it. They fired Ray Rhodes after one season when the team went 8-8, and had they not there would have been unrest in the streets. They fired Mike Sherman after the team had won three division titles in four years and gone to the playoffs in four of the five previous years. The Badgers fired Stan Van Gundy after only two years, the second of which was a 7-11, 9th-place finish in the league - better than our program's last two. Around here we would have retained Brad Soderberg and given him every chance and then some to make it work, and then maybe given up after an 8 or 9 year experiment. And as has been discussed at length, no manager in major league history has ever had back to back seasons like Gardenhire's last two with the Twins and retained their job.

Not that we need to keep a bloody ax in the corner all the time, but I feel we would do well to be a little more demanding as a fan base, a little more surly and impatient, especially considering the amount of money we pay to watch them and buy their gear and the degree of emotional investment we make in them.

When we wielded our 'ax' on good, but not great coach Glen Mason we got Tim Brewster. When we took it to good but not great coach Flip Saunders we got a parade of losers. When we used it on OK coach Mike Tice we got Brad Childress.

That makes it a little hard to pull the trigger on Gardy and Tubby. Currently their teams are frustrating. But they've won before, and our past experience makes it seem pretty likely that their (first) replacements will do worse, not better. The local team that's operated closest to this 'win or you're fired' philosphy is the Vikings. And while they've generally had decent coaches (even Childress won more than he lost) they haven't had a 'great' one since Bud Grant.

It's one game, people. One game. Can we hold off on the judgement until the end of the season? We said this was the year to judge Tubby on; I agree. But there's a whole lot of basketball to be played and lopping off heads with 12 games left is unfair and unnecessary.

We came into the season hoping for a 3rd/4th-ish finish in the B1G. That is and always has been the goal, even with the inflated national media perception. When did we start demanding/expecting Big Ten championships? Let's keep it together folks - at least until the end of the season. Then we can take stock of the situation.

Again, it was an ugly loss, but holding Tubby's feet to the fire midseason does nothing. If they keep losing then we can have that conversation. But it's a long year. These things happen.

I agree that patience is needed at this point. We have ~5 athletic but not complete position players on this team. Rodney at times is great, but he's not a complete player. Dre is exciting and a clutch performer mostly, but he's not a great point guard. When things are clicking they can play with anyone in the conference. When 2 or 3 struggle in the same game, we are in big trouble, as our bench is not up for the task.

We have been mostly bad for 15 years. That is a really long time. The 97-98 sanctions hurt way more than I ever thought they would. Monson wasn't able to do anything, and Tubby has brought the program up by a notch or two, but we still don't have 7 or 8 deep of really solid players like some other teams have.

I am going to give Tubby the benefit of the doubt and hope these young men work through these slumps, and some of the bench kids start to build confidence and contribute. The team and coach still have my support.

When we wielded our 'ax' on good, but not great coach Glen Mason we got Tim Brewster. When we took it to good but not great coach Flip Saunders we got a parade of losers. When we used it on OK coach Mike Tice we got Brad Childress.

That makes it a little hard to pull the trigger on Gardy and Tubby. Currently their teams are frustrating. But they've won before, and our past experience makes it seem pretty likely that their (first) replacements will do worse, not better. The local team that's operated closest to this 'win or you're fired' philosphy is the Vikings. And while they've generally had decent coaches (even Childress won more than he lost) they haven't had a 'great' one since Bud Grant.

Obviously when you fire a Mike Sherman you have to then hire a Mike McCarthy. Obviously when you fire a Stan Van Gundy you have to then hire a Dick Bennett. The underlying key is to not employ a Joel Maturi in the first place to make those kinds of decisions. But it goes back to the original point. If Minnesota alums were dead serious about winning, they would have done what Badger fans would have done under the same circumstances, which is to make Maturi's death look like an accident.

Wow it is a pretty big bus in Minnesota no one could save Maturi. The program is fiscally strong, great head coaches, successful programs, decent facilities ...considering the U has to compete with 3professional sport teams, several semi pro teams, strong MIAC schools who have their backers...this is not Madison!

No Maturi problably could not sell used vacuums and I am glad he couldn't, I will take an honest hardworking, Minnesota Nice AD any day!

Wow it is a pretty big bus in Minnesota no one could save Maturi. The program is fiscally strong, great head coaches, successful programs, decent facilities ...considering the U has to compete with 3professional sport teams, several semi pro teams, strong MIAC schools who have their backers...this is not Madison!

No Maturi problably could not sell used vacuums and I am glad he couldn't, I will take an honest hardworking, Minnesota Nice AD any day!

Let GopherLady help you.

I hope and pray the Team Working Together can lift the bus and get Tubby out from underneath it! I don't like everything I hear and see, but there is still time. Adversity makes people look from within and make changes and it also can make success even sweeter. Good Luck to the Gopher team and coaching staff!

The sky is not falling yet.. unless you read this board all day. The team will rally together.. will they make a run. Who knows.. but I think they will rally and unite. This team can still be the fun, energetic, deep run potential team we thought it was. Hopefully it happens.

My god, this is EXACTLY what the poster you are responding to was talking about. Glen Mason, Glen F'ING Mason? We held on to that f'ing guy for 10 years while his teams went an average of 3-5 in the Big Ten and he acted like we were lucky to have him. That guy gets RAN out of Madison or Iowa City and we have 30%-40% of our fan base who thinks he was a "good" coach. The Gophers were one of two teams in an 11 team league to fail to finish 3rd or better in the conference during his tenure and NEVER even beat a team that finished in the top 3. To top that off, he had an embarrassing record against Iowa and Wisconsin and then dismissed those games as "trinket" games! By no definition was Glen Mason "good", we were a cumulative 8th (and much closer to 9th than 7th) in the Big Ten during his tenure.

The writing has been on the wall with Tubby Smith for awhile now, but Minnesota will likely hold on to him if he goes 9-9 or 10-8 in the conference despite everyone knowing it gets worse, not better next year. Maybe Tubby can somehow make it a decade while accomplishing nothing. We saw this with Dan Monson when he was dead man walking and finished 10-8 and in 4th place in the Big Ten in his 6th season (think Tubby can even tie Dan by finishing 4th?)...and that got us treated to another two years of terrible basketball.

Who is Jim Sohan....Doesn't he do that stupid Garage show on the AM station?

The writing has been on the wall with Tubby Smith for awhile now, but Minnesota will likely hold on to him if he goes 9-9 or 10-8 in the conference despite everyone knowing it gets worse, not better next year. Maybe Tubby can somehow make it a decade while accomplishing nothing. We saw this with Dan Monson when he was dead man walking and finished 10-8 and in 4th place in the Big Ten in his 6th season (think Tubby can even tie Dan by finishing 4th?)...and that got us treated to another two years of terrible basketball.

With the 2.5 million buyout, and all the money still owed to Mason, Monson and Brewster, Tubby will probably be around longer than wanted.

The implosion you are experiencing is temporary. The amnesia, however, is not.

The sky is not falling yet.. unless you read this board all day. The team will rally together.. will they make a run. Who knows.. but I think they will rally and unite. This team can still be the fun, energetic, deep run potential team we thought it was. Hopefully it happens.

PR dribble. I need a towel to sop up all the spittle.

This is not Tubby's best team here and with unfounded expectations this season will appear as a disappointment.2008-09,2009-10, teams had more talent and depth. 2010-2011 was also better and poised for Ncaa run before transfer of Joseph and injury to Nolan. Impressive wins in Puerto Rico and dismantled North Carolina. This team does not have as much depth nor a true point guard.

This is not Tubby's best team here and with unfounded expectations this season will appear as a disappointment.2008-09,2009-10, teams had more talent and depth. 2010-2011 was also better and poised for Ncaa run before transfer of Joseph and injury to Nolan. Impressive wins in Puerto Rico and dismantled North Carolina. This team does not have as much depth nor a true point guard.

The excuse machine has been fired up despite the frigid temperatures, a great attempt at a comparative analysis based on revisionist history.

Top Bottom