Updated RPI stuff from CBSSports.com (Jerry Palm)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Through games played Jan. 13.

Big Ten in the RPI (includes future members)
4. GOPHERS (15-2)
7. Michigan (15-1)
10. Indiana (15-1)
18. Illinois (13-4)
20. Michigan State (13-3)
27. Ohio State (13-3)
57. Rutgers (11-4)
61. Nebraska (9-8)
63. Wisconsin (12-4)
75. Iowa (12-5)
90. Maryland (13-3)
106. Northwestern (10-7)
146. Purdue (8-8)
167. Penn State (8-8)

Gophers Nonconference Opponents
1. Duke (15-1)
51. Memphis (12-3)
54. North Dakota State (13-3)
65. Florida State (10-6)
74. Stanford (10-7)
81. South Dakota State (10-6)
97. Richmond (11-6)
111. Tennessee State (9-7)
136. USC (7-10)
191. Toledo (6-7)
217. North Florida (7-11)
261. Lafayette (7-10)
270. American (6-10)

Gopher Numbers
RPI: #4
Overall SOS: #3
Nonconference SOS: #18
Record vs. RPI Top 50: (2-2)
Record vs. RPI Top 100: (8-2)
Road/Neutral Record: (5-2)
Best 3 Wins: @ #18 Illinois, #20 Michigan State, vs. #51 Memphis
Worst Loss: @ #10 Indiana

A few notes:

(1) Badgers and Memphis steadily climbing in the RPI, as is Toledo.

(2) Memphis likely will move into the "top-50 win" category for the Gophers very soon.

(3) Richmond moves into the "top-100 win" category despite a weekend loss @ LaSalle.

(4) Memphis (C-USA), NDSU (Summit), Tennessee State (OVC), Toledo (MAC), Lafayette (Patriot), and American (Patriot) all are undefeated in conference play, though Lafayette & American have played only one league game.

(5) NDSU's RPI is slipping now that conference play has started. The Bison (6-0 in the Summit League) -- tied for 1st with Jim Molinari's Western Illinois club -- need to win a lot of games to keep that RPI around the #50 mark (or better). Of note, Bison stud Taylor Braun finished the Oakland game on the bench with a boot on his foot. No word on the seriousness of the injury.

Haha, worst loss: @ Indiana

I guess that's why we are the top RPI team in the B1G.

I've never understood why those guys are under the basket. Where is Dennis Rodman when you need him.

Totally agree, 19. With modern technology and all, absolutely no reason to be right under basket to get the "SI Action Photo Of The Year" award.

SS, Taylor Braun suffered a broken bone in his foot during Oakland game. Out 4-6 weeks. He was NDSU's leading scorer. Apparently he collided with a TV camera man or a photographer, under the basket.

Thanks Doc. Tough break for the Bison.

There is only one game that we have a less than 50% chance of winning according to the second link. 45% at Ohio St.

Yep - although they do treat it with some level of error which is why they think we'll lose 4 more games this year overall. I would say anything from 35-65% is pretty much a tossup, or a tossup with a slight lean. When you get outside of that range it becomes more of a sure bet.

That said, they have us with effectively six tossup games the rest of the way - vs. Michigan, @ Wisconsin, @ Michigan State, @ Iowa, @ Ohio State, vs Indiana. The other seven games they feel pretty confident about, statistically. If we can go .500 in those six tossups and sweep the rest we'll be in contention.

Maryland is a team with the potential to jump up much higher, but after their loss this weekend, not putting too much stock in that happening.
Actually, not as concerned about how our former and future opponents are faring as I have been in the past. Seems, something about being damn good, kind of makes you think you don't need help from outside sources.

I think, of the 6 tossup games you have listed, we'd have to have bad games, imo, to lose the 2 home games. Then I think we are easily good enough to go into Iowa and Wisconsin and simply, silence their crowds. @MSU and @OSU will be tough games, both are better than the Illini, but neither are as good as IU. I'm saying we'll go 4-2 in those 6 games to finish 13-3 and in a 2 or 3 way tie for 1st in the Big Ten. But honestly, I'm only saying that to be safe, I truly think we are set up for a run to the Title, and I'm not talking the Big Ten Title. I think its realistic to think we could go undefeated the rest of the way through the conf scedule and maybe through the Big Ten conf tourney, although I will only care about how we do in the Big Ten tourney, if we do not win the Regular Season Title. I am thinking we will have a #3 seed as the worst case scenario, but most likely a #2, with a chance at a #1 and that we'll be into the Sweet 16 before we are even challenged. But all of this is only realistic if we remain healthy and play smart and show up like we are ready to play each and every game. I think this season is a make or break season for Tubby. As fans, we are all feeling it, we have local recruits just waiting around to see how we do, and Tubby's critics just waiting in the wings to pounce if he screws it up. I pray an injury does not come into play to cloud the issue. I am not trying to raise up expectations to an unrealistic level, but I just can't help thinking that the NCAA is as a whole, down this year. Top teams are suffering injuries or suspensions, top conferences are struggling to find teams worthy to get into the Top 25 like the ACC, and the Pac and Michigan is young, and we have the sceduling advantage over IU and Mich. We have the SOS liking us, the RPI liking us, ESPN's BPI liking us, TeamRankings dot com liking us and if we beat Michigan on Thursday, the press will like us alot as well. I just think this is our year. We have the players, the coach, a favorable scedule and well, if there is karma, we got alot of good karma that should be coming our way after all that we've been through the last 30 or so years.

And the best part of it all, we know from 1989 and 1990, how well a team from a strong Big Ten conf can do in the NCAA tourney after only finishing 5th or 5th in the conf standings. We barely won any road games in the Big Ten those years. So even if I'm setting expectations too high and things don't go like I'm saying they are going to go, there is still alot of room to fall before we are out of the hunt for a FF and possibly a Natl Title.

Top Bottom