Official 2013 Class Recruiting Updates Thread

I try not to read too much into anything, but we are sure going hard after RBs right now. I'm sure it's just that we want to add a RB to every single class, but they seem to have it as a priority. I'm only surprised because we have Maye, Kirkwood, Williams, Cobb all SO and under. This sort of make me wonder if there might be some player movement from this position.

Richard Benjamin, former UCF commit has an offer from the Gophers according to Twitter.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Richard-Benjamin-117406

An impressive offer list.

Something is extremely fishy about this alleged offer list. Who commits to/decommits from UCF, takes an official to Purdon't, and has a Top 4 of Louisville, Purdon't, aTm, and WVU, all while holding offers from Alabama, Florida, FSU, Georgia, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio St., Oklahoma, AND USC?!?!?

Answer: no one. No one does that.

I try not to read too much into anything, but we are sure going hard after RBs right now. I'm sure it's just that we want to add a RB to every single class, but they seem to have it as a priority. I'm only surprised because we have Maye, Kirkwood, Williams, Cobb all SO and under. This sort of make me wonder if there might be some player movement from this position.

Something happened with Cobb this year to cause him to fall out of favor, which was surprising because he looked pretty good last spring. Who knows what the future holds for him.

As for the rest of the backs, Kirkwood played well this year and was named one of the captains for next year when he's a junior, so he's clearly not going anywhere. Williams and Maye will both be soph's and are very different types of backs. I think the recruiting push for RB's is that they are tired of waiting on Berkley Edwards and are just trying to find the back they want for this class.

Something is extremely fishy about this alleged offer list. Who commits to/decommits from UCF, takes an official to Purdon't, and has a Top 4 of Louisville, Purdon't, aTm, and WVU, all while holding offers from Alabama, Florida, FSU, Georgia, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio St., Oklahoma, AND USC?!?!?

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he assumed showing interest meant an offer early on?

Haha, yeah that looks very fishy indeed. I mean, I'm not gonna say it can't happen, but man, I don't see it.

Well we have bodies, but we don't have a real game changer.

Well we have bodies, but we don't have a real game changer.
I'd say the odds of an Barry Sanders/Adrian Peterson type coming to Minnesota are pretty slim.

I still don't understand the concern with the runningback position on this board. It's arguably our strongest position on offense (or, at least, the least crappiest). Kirkwood and Williams were great when the offensive line was blocking worth a damn. We do need a speedy guy who can take maybe 5-8 carries a game, but otherwise I like what we have.

Something happened with Cobb this year to cause him to fall out of favor, which was surprising because he looked pretty good last spring. Who knows what the future holds for him.

As for the rest of the backs, Kirkwood played well this year and was named one of the captains for next year when he's a junior, so he's clearly not going anywhere. Williams and Maye will both be soph's and are very different types of backs. I think the recruiting push for RB's is that they are tired of waiting on Berkley Edwards and are just trying to find the back they want for this class.

Yeah, I'm wondering what the future holds for Cobb.

I'd say the odds of an Barry Sanders/Adrian Peterson type coming to Minnesota are pretty slim.

I still don't understand the concern with the runningback position on this board. It's arguably our strongest position on offense (or, at least, the least crappiest). Kirkwood and Williams were great when the offensive line was blocking worth a damn. We do need a speedy guy who can take maybe 5-8 carries a game, but otherwise I like what we have.

Yeah, I agree. I thought Kirkwood ran the ball really well this year and Williams was extremely impressive, especially for a true freshman. I agree that a speedy guy would be nice, but I like Maye and I think he can be that guy.

I'm not saying that I don't want to recruit RBs every single year, I just don't think it's a weak position on our team.

IMO the easiest way to overachieve during the rebuilding process is to find the great QB or RB. I'm not unhappy with the players we already have on campus, but I'm not sure we have a program changer.

Big Ten Talent!!!!

The Gophers need as much Big Ten talent as they can get no matter the position. Some of these guys have that so adding some good talent no matter the position is a great sign. Duke, North, and some of the other guys that are popping up would be great.

As far as the RB position goes we have some solid RB's that would be even better with an improved and healthy offensive line. That being said adding a top flight RB that can do everything with some speed never hurts. I am not sure we can count on Cobb and Maye as much more than specialty players.

If I have a major concern its at WR where we are bringing in lots of shorter guys with very few taller more physical guys. I like to see height on the outside not a bunch of 5'10" and 5'11" players.

I won't argue about whether our current stable of backs are good enough. I never know whether a back is truly good (or bad) or if their success (or failure) is due more to their line.

But I will say that you don't need to be Barry Sanders, Adrian Peterson or another top-ranked high prep to make a difference at that position. We've had our share of pretty damn good running backs over the years, even when we weren't very good. I don't want to say that good backs are a dime a dozen, but there are backs out there who can help us and might consider us.

For what it is worth, at one time Kill said that Cobb was struggling with his pass blocking and needed to correct that before he played.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. The possibility of early playing time and a coach who's willing to play guys early can make for an attractive option.

@RyanBurnsGI
GI has learned that #FSU commit Marquez White will NOT be visiting #Minnesota this weekend anymore. Head to GI for more details.

@swiltfong247: Harland (WI) Arrowhead 2014 DE Billy Hirschfeld picked up an offer from #Minnesota last night per his father. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

unless the kid wants to be a 4 year starter.

I agree with Wolf- with AJ's departure, we need some size on the outside to manhandle the DB's and win some jump balls. Drew has great hands and can position himself well against defenders to make clutch catches. This is something we have not had consistantly since #7 played. Outside of a couple solid LB, I think Drew is the guy we need to make this a very solid recruiting class.

I agree with Wolf- with AJ's departure, we need some size on the outside to manhandle the DB's and win some jump balls. Drew has great hands and can position himself well against defenders to make clutch catches. This is something we have not had consistantly since #7 played. Outside of a couple solid LB, I think Drew is the guy we need to make this a very solid recruiting class.

That an a couple of good linebackers.

I think Andre McDonald could be that type of WR. He has the size and frame at 6' 2" 200 pounds to be that guy. Just depends if that is that type of WR he wants to be.

@RyanBurnsGI
GI has learned that #FSU commit Marquez White will NOT be visiting #Minnesota this weekend anymore. Head to GI for more details.

I know Burns tweeted this, but Marquez White says he's on a plane to Minnesota today, so we maybe he is visiting after all?

I know Burns tweeted this, but Marquez White says he's on a plane to Minnesota today, so we maybe he is visiting after all?

Yup saw his tweet. He is supposed to get in about an hour. Sounds like an interesting kid. He's scared of flying but he's making the trip anyway.

Top Bottom