KSTP hating on the gophers and Jerry Kill

Indiana has been worse than us in the past 50 years. Less bowl games, and worse winning percentage in overall and Big Ten games. We've won like 38% of our Big Ten games while they've won 31% I believe.

The media is not supposed to be a cheerleader.

They are negative because things are negative right now. Decades of losing, terrible play on the field, and horrible decisions by the idiots running the football program will do that.

Its amazing how fans think the media should be a program builder. Don't write a negative article......cause in 4 years we MIGHT be good.

General rule of the local sports media, Decent = Amazing and Bad = Fire the Coach (unless the coach is named Gardy).

Gardenhire, yes the coach that feels sad when the scapegoats get let go but does everything he can to keep his BOBOS
in Vavara, Ulger and Anderson on the team. Now that is going to extremes to keep your friends around, have them coach postions they have no experience at.
Funny thing is now we will get to see Vavara be the 3rd base coach and be responsible for infield instruction and Ulger the first base coach and responsible for outfield instruction another position he has not coached and expect different results.
People think the Gophers are bad, Twins have put together just as many losing seasons of sustained horrible losing. The last World series will now have been 21 years ago, and yet people do not have as bad of a perception about them as the Gophers because of there rinky dink division(weak team gets a pitty award) titles. Two things the Gophers and Twins have in common cheapskate owners who do things on the cheap. My point is the Twins have a long history of sucktitude and old championship titles that seem to give them a bigger leash with the media than the Gophers. Gopher football it is pile on and say we stink every year for 20 years even when they are competing and winning some games.
They the Twins do not fire coaches like the Gophers do.

What qualifications do these dingbats have in order to talk about the Gophers?

None.

All they have is a microphone.

It does get a little annoying when people fall in love with their own opinion...happens way to much with MN sports media.

Sid may not be the best on the radio anymore, but damn, he sure still loves the Gophers.

Sid may not be the best on the radio anymore, but damn, he sure still loves the Gophers.

You'd certainly think so, but did you see The Sports Show last night? Sid claimed that he won't donate another cent after the UNC fiasco. He was talking about the $450,000 he donated and said that would be the last. Nanne, Reusse and Max kept trying to change the subject but Sid was adamant.

You'd certainly think so, but did you see The Sports Show last night? Sid claimed that he won't donate another cent after the UNC fiasco. He was talking about the $450,000 he donated and said that would be the last. Nanne, Reusse and Max kept trying to change the subject but Sid was adamant.

Nanne, Ruesse and Max also pointed out it was money Sid raised, not his own money that was donated.

Sid was getting pissed at Nanne because no one has sources like Sid does. Sid can be a surly old goat.

Nanne, Ruesse and Max also pointed out it was money Sid raised, not his own money that was donated.

Sid was getting pissed at Nanne because no one has sources like Sid does. Sid can be a surly old goat.

And they also talked about how it went "to the hospital, not athletics." Did you get that reference?

I have no problem with people ripping on the Gophers or being negative when it's due. However, my issue with most of the local media is that they simply don't follow the Gophers when it comes to anything positive. They are pro sports fan who can only pretend to show any interest in college sports, so they take the easy route (bash when things aren't good).

For instance, I've heard several times on KFAN and WCCO that "the Gophers haven't been relevant in 40 years". What is the definition of relevant in college football? Is it Rose Bowl or bust?

look, being a Gopher football fan gets so tiresome. Let us not forget the previous group of coaches who were surefire "program turners". Both Wacker and Mason came with dazzling credentials; especially Wacker. Jerry's "aw shucks" attitude is endearing. He has apologists who claim we have the right guy and we need to be patient. Patience is impossible when you've followed the team as long as I have. I still have season tickets. I pull for these guys more than any other local sport's venue; college or professional. Ripping them early and often is a defense mechanism. We care so much about this team, that we have to come down hard for some comic relief. Jerry has proved nothing except he's a down to earth fella. It's troubling that they've performed well at times; USC, Syracuse, Iowa last season. They have also looked like a JV team more often than not. This year was supposed to be a small step up. Remember how everybody knew the system when they showed up for practice? And how a year of strength and speed work would provide better athletes and players? I always take the bait. They are at the bottom of the conference now. I'm thankful for guys like Souhan and Reusse, who will rip them. For many Gopher fans, that is therapeutic. I'm one of them. Until Jerry proves it, he's in Wacker's class; a likable lug who is destined to fail.

Teague and Kill don't care about media coverage, if they did they would have played UNC. Ultimately it comes down to winning, not much point in worrying about much else.
Obviously they do, or they wouldn't have gone on an extensive media tour when the decision was made.

I heard those guys this morning. They were convinced that Jerry Kill started Nelson because he was "in a panic".

Simply awful.

I'm panicking. I've got money that they will win one more and it is looking iffy.

look, being a Gopher football fan gets so tiresome. Let us not forget the previous group of coaches who were surefire "program turners". Both Wacker and Mason came with dazzling credentials; especially Wacker. Jerry's "aw shucks" attitude is endearing. He has apologists who claim we have the right guy and we need to be patient. Patience is impossible when you've followed the team as long as I have. I still have season tickets. I pull for these guys more than any other local sport's venue; college or professional. Ripping them early and often is a defense mechanism. We care so much about this team, that we have to come down hard for some comic relief. Jerry has proved nothing except he's a down to earth fella. It's troubling that they've performed well at times; USC, Syracuse, Iowa last season. They have also looked like a JV team more often than not. This year was supposed to be a small step up. Remember how everybody knew the system when they showed up for practice? And how a year of strength and speed work would provide better athletes and players? I always take the bait. They are at the bottom of the conference now. I'm thankful for guys like Souhan and Reusse, who will rip them. For many Gopher fans, that is therapeutic. I'm one of them. Until Jerry proves it, he's in Wacker's class; a likable lug who is destined to fail.

I loved Jim for his "Geezo peezo" remarks. The guy was as good a human being as they get.

I loved Jim for his "Geezo peezo" remarks. The guy was as good a human being as they get.

To me, his best is "My heart's a pumpin' and my corpuscles are a jumpin'"

laughin' at some of the memorable quotes from Wacker. Do you remember his de' coordinator, Tim Rose? He bragged that his defense was going to be flying all over the place. I made the mistake of traveling to Madison to see his defense flying all over the place when Ron Dayne was de-cleating them as he steamrolled through our defense. Poor Wacker was forced to recruit de lineman that were under 6 ft. tall and just about as wide. They'd be one star recruits. But in reality, I didn't think they were getting lit up as bad Kill's clowns were these last few weekends.

I subscribe to the Star Tribune. All of August was positive story after positive story. Today Phil Miller wrote a positive stary about staying the course. You claim to be angry about negative articles yet it seems that is all you notice/read.

I have no problem with people ripping on the Gophers or being negative when it's due. However, my issue with most of the local media is that they simply don't follow the Gophers when it comes to anything positive. They are pro sports fan who can only pretend to show any interest in college sports, so they take the easy route (bash when things aren't good).

For instance, I've heard several times on KFAN and WCCO that "the Gophers haven't been relevant in 40 years". What is the definition of relevant in college football? Is it Rose Bowl or bust?

I subscribe to the Star Tribune. All of August was positive story after positive story. Today Phil Miller wrote a positive stary about staying the course. You claim to be angry about negative articles yet it seems that is all you notice/read.

I do? Where do I make that claim? I made the EXACT OPPOSITE claim in the post you quoted. You must have missed the first line of my entire paragraph. I'll repeat it for you "I have no problem with people ripping on the Gophers or being negative when it's due." I have no issue, whatsoever, with people like Phil Miller and Marcus Fuller who follow the Gophers and report the good and the bad. However, I do have an issue with people who just chime in to take the easy route on bashing the Gophers (see Souhan, Reusse, the no names on KSTP Morning Show). It doesn't make me angry though, I simply don't listen to or read their stuff.

I read all of the Phil Miller and Marcus Fuller articles because it is Gopher content and I obviously wasn't referencing people who cover the Gophers. I was referencing the people like them. So yeah, if Phil Miller wrote an article that called the Gopher play against Northwestern "sloppy" and unprepared, I have no issue with that. I also have been on here saying that I have no issue with fans debating Kill or anything like that. I'm not averse to criticism of the program. I am averse to many prominent members of the local media who only show up to complain about the negative because it's an easy article to write. It's essentially trolling.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...m=WesternMichigan&team=Wisconsin&team=Wyoming

Since 1961, only 43 teams have a worse winning percentage than us.

Our away winning percentage since 1961 is awful :(

Yup and about 76 are ahead of us. Here's the real bad news: if we go 55 and 0 we'll move up about 10 spots.
We will still be bad by this standard. Let's live in the present. We are getting better. This will turn around.
We got a choice to dance or sit out and watch. I'm choosing to dance. Go Gophers!

Only caught a bit of that, so I didn't quite follow.

Nanne just talked about it now on KFAN. Lou said he told Sid that he shouldn't be withholding money from the U, he should be giving to the U because covering University Athletics gave Sid his career. Sid disagreed, before and AFTER the show! Lou also said that the $450,000 shouldn't count because it was only going to the U AFTER Sid died and Sid didn't plan on dying. :clap:

look, being a Gopher football fan gets so tiresome. Let us not forget the previous group of coaches who were surefire "program turners". Both Wacker and Mason came with dazzling credentials; especially Wacker.

Wacker was hot stuff in Division II. Not so great in Division I (21-48-1 in conference play at TCU). Mason was 25-38-1 in conference at Kansas. Hardly world beaters. The only "program turner" I am old enough to remember (and I am old enough to remember watching Warmath teams punting on third downs), is Holtz. Took a team that had lost 17 straight B1G games and went 3-6 and 4-4 in conference play (also beat Iowa once and Wisconsin twice). Almost knocked off eventual national champion Oklahoma in his second year.

Like I said, though I do not agree with the cancelling of the UNC game, this is Coach Kill's decision and he knows more about what he is doing than I. I do agree with those who say way to much is being made of this. It is almost as if during the Coach Kill's honeymoon period, the hounds were tied up and starved and with this, they finally got let loose.

Calm down Sid, Judd, Patrick and the rest...ego should not have final say in matter of long term well being of the football program.

Top Bottom