Buggs at Midnight Madness

Reaction score
He was amazing! FREAK athlete. I kept stats during the 10 minute scrimmage...

10 PTS, 2 REB, 1 STL
4-4 FG, 2-2 3P

Also got 2nd or 3rd place in dunk contest, can't remember if he beat Coleman or not.

but he only got 2 stars???

Buggs was a beast tonight. When that jumper's falling, he's going to be pretty nice. And he did NOT finish second or third in the dunk contest. The judges were unbelievable. He did a through the legs dunk that was insane for a dude his size, then followed it up with a dunk that very few people can pull off, a behind the back dunk. He should have won in a laugher. The judges were more impressed by Coleman dunking it routinely with one hand off a bounce. Inexplicable. Buggs was the star of the night, but Ellenson wasn't far behind. Very impressed with the frosh.

that is what i like to hear! when i saw him play for the first time in april of 2010 i could not believe he was not a high major recruit. it was all about his HS program not being good and him not being in the right summer situation. once he was put in a position to succeed he flourished and his stock took off.

going to hargrave was huge for him and he has an elite skill set for a 6'8 kid. I booked my USC trip yesterday and am hoping charles plays some minutes.

thanks for the report!

Agree that both frosh looked good tonight. Buggs is really long and can move - should alter a lot of shots and block his fair share as well.

Hopefully Wally's shot is consistent from outside.. if so, lookout. Ridiculous athlete and hard worker...

Both will contribute.. question is when. Regardless of how they do as freshmen, I think they're both quality additions to the program.

Agree that both frosh looked good tonight. Buggs is really long and can move - should alter a lot of shots and block his fair share as well.

Hopefully Wally's shot is consistent from outside.. if so, lookout. Ridiculous athlete and hard worker...

Both will contribute.. question is when. Regardless of how they do as freshmen, I think they're both quality additions to the program.

Do you see any benefit to a redshirt in either case? Would think that minutes would be tough to come by this year, even if Tubby plays ten again (hope he doesn't).

He was amazing! FREAK athlete. I kept stats during the 10 minute scrimmage...

10 PTS, 2 REB, 1 STL
4-4 FG, 2-2 3P

Also got 2nd or 3rd place in dunk contest, can't remember if he beat Coleman or not.

What do you have for the rest of your stats?

Here are my judging points for the night:

2 Ball Competition = 2
3 Point Competition = 3
Slam Dunk Competition = 4
20 Minute Running Competition 5
Buggs = 10
Ellenson = 9
New Lighting = 10
New Scoreboard = 10

Do you see any benefit to a redshirt in either case? Would think that minutes would be tough to come by this year, even if Tubby plays ten again (hope he doesn't).

Tubby has only red-shirted one player since he has come here (not counting Trevor) - Eliason. My guess is no red shirt for Buggs and Ellenson unless they want to and talk Tubby into it.

Both Frosh were very good tonight - so was Welch and Rodney and Joe - However Austin did not have a good night shooting at all - he missed all 3/s in the competition and his shots in the scrimmage

I'm just not a fan of redshirting 'by design' in basketball, except occasionally with big men. With the departure of key guys next year, the Gophers may need kids to step up sooner than later and so I'd tend to say let the guys get some run this year, get some experience in hopes that they are better for it next year when the may need to play considerable minutes.

You could get by this year without using them, sure, but for what reason? So you can have them play in 2016-17? So many things can change overnight, much less 4/5 years. Playing them now helps them next year.

Eliason made sense to redshirt and was done strategically - it was contemplated during his recruitment. But I think Buggs and Ellenson you put in this year... who knows, one or both could earn some decent minutes.

Tubby has only red-shirted one player since he has come here (not counting Trevor) - Eliason. My guess is no red shirt for Buggs and Ellenson unless they want to and talk Tubby into it.

I didn't know that stat about lack of red shirts, interesting. That said I'd be surprised to see both play. Wally plays the same 2-3 spot as Joe & Austin so unless someone's injured he's almost a lock to red shirt imo. Buggs needs to add strength, but we may need a forward who can shoot the ball other than Oto, so maybe he plays?

I don't know how much coaches think about this, but redshirting one of them makes the small recruiting class even smaller four years from now.

I was VERY impressed with both freshman. Wow. I did not expect that much.

Also, was I dreaming or did Rodney shoot really well from the outside??? If he can become a legit threat out there ... This team could be even more special.

Also, the brief bit Trevor played he looked very good. Leaping and running. Had a nice post hook shot over Eliason. Everyone looked great. My only worries were Mav's ability to throw anyone an allyoop and Austin's three point shootings, but I am sure we will be okay!

What do you have for the rest of your stats?

Maroon

Coleman- 8 pts, 3 stl, 2 ast, 1 reb
Welch- 0 pts, 2 ast, 1 reb
Walker- 0 pts, 1 reb
Ellenson- 8 pts, 1 reb, 2-2 3p
Williams- 8 pts, 1 reb, 2-2 3p
Mbakwe- 4 pts, 1 reb

Gold

An. Hollins- 0 pts, 1 reb
Eliason- 0 pts, 2 reb
Au. Hollins- 0 pts, 1 ast, 1 reb, 2 stl
Osenieks- 0 pts
Ingram- 2 pts, 2 reb, 1 missed dunk (lol)
Buggs- 10 pts, 2 reb, 2-2 3p
Shell- 0 pts
Halvorsen- 0 pts

DNP-Ahanmisi (not sure why... didn't hear anything about an injury.)

Maroon

Coleman- 8 pts, 3 stl, 2 ast, 1 reb
Welch- 0 pts, 2 ast, 1 reb
Walker- 0 pts, 1 reb
Ellenson- 8 pts, 1 reb, 2-2 3p
Williams- 8 pts, 1 reb, 2-2 3p
Mbakwe- 4 pts, 1 reb

Gold

An. Hollins- 0 pts, 1 reb
Eliason- 0 pts, 2 reb
Au. Hollins- 0 pts, 1 ast, 1 reb, 2 stl
Osenieks- 0 pts
Ingram- 2 pts, 2 reb, 1 missed dunk (lol)
Buggs- 10 pts, 2 reb, 2-2 3p
Shell- 0 pts
Halvorsen- 0 pts

DNP-Ahanmisi (not sure why... didn't hear anything about an injury.)
I

Thank you for the stats. If we were 6 for 6 in 3p --- this might be Tubby's best shooting team ever. B:)

Last night I saw a young Willie Burton.

Wouldn't that be nice! Buggs was impressive. It's good to see that he and Ellenson provide a nice core for years to come. Something has to be done about the format of the event though. It's boring and long. Give me a brief dunk contest and three point contest and a 40 minute scrimmage.

Wouldn't that be nice! Buggs was impressive. It's good to see that he and Ellenson provide a nice core for years to come. Something has to be done about the format of the event though. It's boring and long. Give me a brief dunk contest and three point contest and a 40 minute scrimmage.

Agree. I'm a huge fan and that was a snoozefest. Why didn't they have the scoreboard stats working during the scrimmages? Walter Bond was ok, but could have been a lot better. Laid back doesn't describe it. More like........yawn. Hope there were no recruits there.

Agree. I'm a huge fan and that was a snoozefest. Why didn't they have the scoreboard stats working during the scrimmages? Walter Bond was ok, but could have been a lot better. Laid back doesn't describe it. More like........yawn. Hope there were no recruits there.

I know Alvin Ellis was there. Foster might have been in attendance, as well.

I liked Bond - he's good on the mic. Those poor kids didn't understand some of the references though.. Maverick is sporting a small high top fade... Bond referenced Kid from Kid N Play because of the high top.. then tried to get Maverick to do the kickstep, but Mav looked at Bond like he was crazy... staff needs to let these kids have a House Party movie night.

I know Alvin Ellis was there. Foster might have been in attendance, as well.

I did like all the alumni out there. Fun to see them. Ariel McDonald would be a fine addition to the current squad!

recruits

:cool02: not only was foster there but so was tessa stapleton the 6'4" center from ohio who committed to the women's program. A definite coup last night with those two commitments.

:cool02: not only was foster there but so was tessa stapleton the 6'4" center from ohio who committed to the women's program. A definite coup last night with those two commitments.

This was posted in another thread but Rashad Vaughn was also in attendance.

What position was Buggs playing? Was he more on the perimeter or down low?

I liked Bond - he's good on the mic. Those poor kids didn't understand some of the references though.. Maverick is sporting a small high top fade... Bond referenced Kid from Kid N Play because of the high top.. then tried to get Maverick to do the kickstep, but Mav looked at Bond like he was crazy... staff needs to let these kids have a House Party movie night.

Now I know I'm getting old when current college students don't know about House Party, that's a little depressing haha

Top Bottom