Kill: Average weight gain of O-line is 15-20lbs of muscle

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet from Justin Gaard:

"@jgkfan: Coach Kill tells Alumni event in Chicago that he estimates the average weight gain for offensive lineman is 15-20 lbs of muscle."

Go Gophers!!

Big, powerful offensive linemen with solid technique make the whole offense better. With all the "meh" on the recruiting trail right now, this is some really, really good news. Line 'em up and mow 'em down.

I'm not a doctor, but the various online sites I've read claim you really can only gain 2-3 pounds of lean muscle per month at max.
Jerry isn't a liar, but there may be a little pudge behind the weight gain as well.

These guys aren't your average person so outrageous weight gains as well as strength increases isn't unheard of. Also, most are still relatively young so big jumps aren't unheard of.

I'm not a doctor, but the various online sites I've read claim you really can only gain 2-3 pounds of lean muscle per month at max.
Jerry isn't a liar, but there may be a little pudge behind the weight gain as well.

You do realize he's not saying they gained 15-20 pounds in a month, right?

2-3 pounds per month, this is July the 8th month since the season ended. Therefore there should be 16-24 pounds of lean muscle mass added. Now that is the upper limit of what can be done, so lets say 15-20 is well within what is reasonable. And why would Coach Kill even mention it if it was not a fact?

I really have no idea how accurate the 15-20 lbs statement is by Kill, but I think the amount of muscle that 18-20 year old guys who are 6'6" 275 lbs can add is probably different from the average person.

2-3 pounds per month, this is July the 8th month since the season ended. Therefore there should be 16-24 pounds of lean muscle mass added. Now that is the upper limit of what can be done, so lets say 15-20 is well within what is reasonable. And why would Coach Kill even mention it if it was not a fact?

I may have misunderstood the Kill quote--- if we're talking since last season at this time, totally achievable. I understood Kill as referencing the time over the summer, since spring ball. Apologies if I'm mistaken.

I may have misunderstood the Kill quote--- if we're talking since last season at this time, totally achievable. I understood Kill as referencing the time over the summer, since spring ball. Apologies if I'm mistaken.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was referencing since the season ended.

Steve Latimer on The Program gained 35 pounds and an attitude to go with it in just one summer. I don't think 15-20 pounds over almost a year is out of the question.

Steve Latimer on The Program gained 35 pounds and an attitude to go with it in just one summer. I don't think 15-20 pounds over almost a year is out of the question.

I gained 10-15 lbs in one summer of muscle - these guys are working much harder than I did. When you are working out and on a nutrition program, totally in the realm of possibility.

Let's see it on the field. We hear this every year (regardless of who the coach is) about how players are stronger and faster than the previous year.

Yawn. Let's walk the walk.....

Let's see it on the field. We hear this every year (regardless of who the coach is) about how players are stronger and faster than the previous year.

Please stop saying things that are true, coach Kill. Art doesn't want to hear it!

Yep. Next up we will hear how the defense is "reacting more than thinking" on the field

Man some people have to over analyze the crap out of everything Kill says. These guys are in a training program and they are young. Of course they gonna add weight. What bugs me is how people get their undies in a bundle and demand irrefutable proof. Stupid.

I agree with Art. Every coach in the land does the same song and dance this time of year. The proof will be on the field this fall.

What?!?

This statement makes absolutely no sense in context of this thread.

A player being 15-20 lbs larger is not something that can only be measured "on the field". You could easily measure that without ever being on a field, it only takes a scale.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone would consider Coach Kill to be the kind of guy that blows sunshine up you know where. He has actually been ripped on here for being too negative.

So your point doesn't make sense in two ways:
(1) He made a statement that has nothing to do with on the field performance. He merely was describing a group of people's size. IT'd be like saying "So and so has grown 2" and is now 6'8." To which you would reply "put up or shut up, you need to prove that on the court". Yep, it's dumb.

(2) Your statement takes a tone like it's time for Coach Kill to stop talking the talk. Whether or not you like the direction of the program, you'd have to be a complete buffoon to hint that Coach Kill has been overly optimistic.

Bob Loblaw

Why would you expect Art Vandelay's statements make sense. They hardly ever do. He is one of about a half of a dozen posters here who are only happy when they are bitching about something. I do appreciate though that you try to respond to with logic and facts.
The problem is art doesn't care about those things.

It's even more stupid when you look at it in context. Coach Kill was saying he's real excited to start camp and see how the progress made by the players translates in practice and on Saturdays. It's after that he mentioned that the offensive line had gained on average 15 to 20 lbs per man.

OK, Kill's estimate of muscle gains may be off, but there are not unheard of. 2-3 pounds per month is about as best an average guy will do. Keep in mind the average male is about 5'9" and about 170, not 6'5" 280-300+ pounds. Also these kids are in the anabolic prime of their lives, their testosterone levels will never be higher than they are at this age.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a kid that's 6.5 feet tall and 280, put on 30 pounds of muscle in 8-9 months. A lot of that also depends on their previous lifting experience. Kids that have been lifting for quite a while should see less gains because once your body is trained you get diminishing/slowing returns. If a kid wasn't a big lifter and then starts lifting and is the size of OL, then they could easily pack on 5-6 pounds per month for the first few months.

Another thing to consider is that some of the weight gained will almost always be fat and bone gets more dense with lifting and added muscle mass so you will see more bone weight as well. So a 30 pound gain with good nutrition and lifting routines will probably net about 22 pounds of muscle and 8 pounds of fat/bone/connective tissue.

Oh.... and I saw Pirsig a month or so ago and he looks significantly more solid than I remember seeing him in the HS season.

I was a college shot putter, same body type as a lineman.
Between my freshman year spring and sophmore year school start i put on 30 or so lbs.
It's absolutely not unheard of at that age when you are lifting hard and eating a ton.
4 times a week lifting, a plate of 4 tunafish sandwiches/3rd gallon of skim milk for lunch everyday, normal but big breakfast/dinner, pre/post workout protein, and a protein/carb shake before bed was my routine.
These guys can pack it on when they are around strength and nutrition experts. A buddy went to Missouri to throw shotput on scholarship, he went from about 260 to 340 in his freshman year. He had to cut back after that.

I don't know if the muscle mass quote is correct, but I do know

That when you look at the difference in "how they look" compared to what they used to look like you can tell
they have put in the work. I would say a lot of them look sleaker, with much less belly fat.
We are not a team full of of buddah belly's.
A lot of the lineman have slimmed down and leaned up, which indicates there nutrition
and weight room work is starting to transform the team.
This team looks to be in really good physical shape, far fewer fat belly types now.
There stamina and ability to compete should be improved, competition breeds effort
and confidence, the coaches should be pleased when camp opens.

Why would you expect Art Vandelay's statements make sense. They hardly ever do. He is one of about a half of a dozen posters here who are only happy when they are bitching about something. I do appreciate though that you try to respond to with logic and facts.

They don't.

He questions kids gaining weight on a professional weight program.

There is irrefutable proof, however, that Art could lose 10-20 pounds of ugly fat simply by cutting off his head.

Agreed. Hence why I would be blissfully unaware of the drivle he putson the board because Art is on my ignore list if someone hadntquoted him.

The factual response was great to see...but sorry you had to expend energy doing it.

GM

They don't.

He questions kids gaining weight on a professional weight program.

There is irrefutable proof, however, that Art could lose 10-20 pounds of ugly fat simply by cutting off his head.

That's rich Dr. Dooshy, coming from you; with your 7000 worthless posts. Thanks for the laugh.

As I said in another thread, I am really looking forward to the competition this fall on the right side of the line, from C to RT. I just hope we have some RBs in the stable who can take advantage of this new and improved OL. I know Gray will, but he needs help.

On a semi-related note, Coach Limegrover is down 118 pounds. Big shout out to him!

Nate Sandell ‏@NSandell
Biggest transformation from spring to fall camp came from OC Matt Limegrover, who has dropped an amazing 118 pounds. #Gophers

Limegrover on losing the weight: "It was just the time ... If I’m not at my best how are we going to be at our best as an offense." #Gophers

Limegrover : "I probably had 10 times the energy today than I did at any point last season. I get up & I’m excited about going to practice"

Congrats to him on the achievement and another example of leadership from our staff!

Top Bottom