As we sit within the wreckage almost five years after Tempe,

oak_street1981

Reaction score
I'd like some insider detail on what really happened in late 2006.

1. Who made the call on firing Glen Mason, Maturi or Prexy B?

2. Did they decide to fire him when the team was 3-6, then found the wins over Mich. St. Indiana, and Iowa to be an obstacle the the plan?

3. Did Glen Mason really do something extreme in Tempe to inflame "prexy B" and maturi before the game itself?

3. Had Minnesota just hung tough and lost to Texas Tech with a score like 31-20 without ever leading the game, would they have been able to fire Glen Mason?

I was at the game in 2006, but did not arrrive unit right before pre-game so I did not witness any of the alleged conflict at the booster event.

I think the debacle of the Mason contract countdown leading up the UVA game in Nashville was a sure sign Maturi was in way over his head.

The previous AD and Tom Moe never would have conducted business the way our leadership did in 2004-2006. The current mess reflects the lack of leadership and smarts since the powers that be scapegoated Mark Dienhardt out of the U of M.

The Kessel, 19 November 1942 - 31 January 1943

I'd like some insider detail on what really happened in late 2006.

1. Who made the call on firing Glen Mason, Maturi or Prexy B?

2. Did they decide to fire him when the team was 3-6, then found the wins over Mich. St. Indiana, and Iowa to be an obstacle the the plan?

3. Did Glen Mason really do something extreme in Tempe to inflame "prexy B" and maturi before the game itself?

3. Had Minnesota just hung tough and lost to Texas Tech with a score like 31-20 without ever leading the game, would they have been able to fire Glen Mason?

I was at the game in 2006, but did not arrrive unit right before pre-game so I did not witness any of the alleged conflict at the booster event.

I think the debacle of the Mason contract countdown leading up the UVA game in Nashville was a sure sign Maturi was in way over his head.

The previous AD and Tom Moe never would have conducted business the way our leadership did in 2004-2006. The current mess reflects the lack of leadership and smarts since the powers that be scapegoated Mark Dienhardt out of the U of M.

oak_street1981,

1. Hear Hear!

2. If the referees would have kept the clock moving in the 4th quarter, Graham Harrell and Michael Crabtree would not have been able to catch us in time. Glen Mason lost his job because Matt Spaeth decided to have surgery before the bowl game. With Spaeth suited up at TE, we would not have lost. I am not blaming Matt. I am just stating my opinion.

3. Interesting that Sid Hartman also implicated Joel Maturi's boss, Kathryn F. Brown in his 10/01/2011 article. These two Miami Redhawk lovers make quite a pair. Between these two, zero degrees, graduate or undergraduate, from the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus.

4. I am nominating Glen Mason to be our next Athletic Director. If President Kaler pays him a competitive Big Ten wage, I believe he would be very good for revenue sports going forward. OK, now everybody can start throwing rotten vegetables and rotten eggs at me.

5. My biggest question is, "What role have the Regents of the University of Minnesota been playing in all this? As I have stated in another post, ideally we should have zero regents who have not earned their undergraduate degree from the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus. We need Regents who truly bleed Maroon and Gold, and the 18-22 year time slot is when young people get molded into Golden Gophers. The most important rule for selecting regents going forward, as Nancy Reagan always used to say, "Just say NO to Yale, Harvard, and Notre Dame graduates!"

6. Let's hope Jerry Kill breaks us out of The Kessel entrapment Joel Maturi has led us into!

This may just be me, but I feel like everyone hear wants to be like Michigan, that needs a "Michigan Man" for everything. You can't seriously think that because they got a degree from somewhere other than the U they won't take the job seriously?

Glen Mason for Athletic Director of the University of Minnesota

This may just be me, but I feel like everyone hear wants to be like Michigan, that needs a "Michigan Man" for everything. You can't seriously think that because they got a degree from somewhere other than the U they won't take the job seriously?

zambam,

1. As Nancy Reagan always used to say, "Just say NO to Yale, Harvard, and Notre Dame graduates!"

2. Glen Mason may be a Buckeye, but he "gets it' when it comes to successful football in the Big Ten Conference. Let Glen finish the job he started before Joel Maturi assassinated him!

3. I cannot think of a more fitting closure and repudiation of the Joel Maturi era than President Kaler hiring Glen Mason to replace Joel Maturi.

This is the first I've heard of conflict at the booster event. What happened? Did any Gopherholer witness the conflict? Don't be shy - give us the scoop!

I don't know who is to blame on this (I'll--and this is just me--admit I was in Mason's corner until the contract squabble but cooled on him to the point of not caring if he stayed or left afterwards), but I think this is what got Mason fired. There was something in that negotiation that Maturi (or those above him on the organizational chart) couldn't let go of after that. I always wondered what would have happened had NDSU beat us that season (and it took a blocked field goal to win that game).

This is the first I've heard of conflict at the booster event. What happened? Did any Gopherholer witness the conflict? Don't be shy - give us the scoop!

I was at a fairly small event at a hotel lobby (I think thats where it was anyway) the night before the game. I think it was hosted by the Goal Line Club. Anyway, Mason and Maturi and Bruininks were all there and they all spoke. My recollection was the Mason was smug (and perhaps a little tipsy, but I couldn't say for sure). Other than his normal smug self, I did not hear anything at that event that made me think anything was amiss with the relationships of Mason, Maturi and Bruininks. When I heard rumors of Mason saying insulting or inappropriate things at that very same event after he'd been fired, I just scratched my head and wondered if whatever it was just totally went over my head.

Who gives a S#$! about goddamn Glen Mason right now. I respect the man now as an analyst, but christsakes people. Give it up.

Glen Mason? WTF is wrong with you people?

This is the perfect response. I am saddened that some people who call themselves Gopher fans actually think that what Glen Mason did over 10 years was acceptable and worthy of more time.

badger freaking joel macturi is not worthy of diddly squat and he is OVER 10 years on his ad job destroying the U of M Football Program now. People like you eg9 have gotten EXACTLY what you have so richly deserved from prexy b and badger joel mcaturi. How many Big Ten wins have they managed after buying out Mason for millions and millions of bucks? How many football games have they won post Mason?

They have made it impossible for Coach Kill to win a reasonable number of Big Ten Games for a LONG time into the future.

It is people like you, eg#9 who are getting EXACTLY what you called for and even MORE SO, exactly what you deserve. It will more than likely be 8 total Big Ten wins in FIVE seasons here in Minnesota. That's pretty much the bottom of the pit level. We most likely will have had TWO zero Big Ten win seasons out of the last five seasons. 8 Big Ten wins and 32 Big Ten losses out of the 40 Big Ten Games played in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. Maybe Coach Kill can win one Big Ten game in 2011, but, right now, I don't see it happening. But, I will always hope....

; 0 )

Thank you prexy b, bjm and eg#9, et. al.

2. Glen Mason may be a Buckeye, but he "gets it' when it comes to successful football in the Big Ten Conference. Let Glen finish the job he started before Joel Maturi assassinated him!

"Gets it" by playing golf, alienating every high school coach in the state, being lazy in recruiting, accepting mediocrity and playing it off as "it's tough to win here, so why try", so I may as well get my teeth whitened (again)?

He finished his job by his own hand.

I'll contrast your classless little "stfu" with a single sentence, you rude, crude unregistered user:

I NEVER let wild animals with a keyboard shut me the f... up and I certainly would NEVER let an animal with a keyboard get me down...

Glen Mason would make a GREAT AD!

; 0 )

I'll contrast your classless little "stfu" with a single sentence, you rude, crude unregistered user:

I NEVER let wild animals with a keyboard shut me the f... up and I certainly would NEVER let an animal with a keyboard get me down...

; 0 )
Where is the evidence to prove this statement? Or is this what is called an OPINION?

; 0 )

Every single time I see you post I am reminded of Macbeth:

It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Glen Mason may be a Buckeye, but he "gets it' when it comes to successful football in the Big Ten Conference.

For the record - Glen Mason's record at Minnesota:

Big Ten record at MN: 32-48
Upper Division finishes: 3
Lower Division finishes: 7
Seasons over .500: 2
Seasons under .500: 6
Highest Finish: tie for 4th (twice)

I don't have a problem with the firing of Glen Mason...I have a problem with the timing. He should have been fired not extended the previous year and it should have been done immediately after the season ended the previous year if it was going to be done. Clearly if you were following the program (See job description Joel Maturi) you could see that Mason was not recruiting and the team had reached it's zenith under Mason.

It was a knee jerk reaction followed by a bone head hiring. Prexy B is already gone...Maturi has to be next. If the managed the Medical Research Center the same way they manage the football team, I guarantee you the Regents would be screaming for their heads. Tens of millions of dollars being managed by a third grade teacher instead of a serious business person.

Let me predict that the next coach who breaks the record for the biggest collapse in bowl game history will be fired.

Let me predict that the next coach who breaks the record for the biggest collapse in bowl game history will be fired.

The coach will only be fired if the U's President and AD walk into the locker room after the game and see the him laughing and joking about the bowl game loss.

Let me predict that it is going to be one hell of a long time until anyone does ANY better than Glen Mason did here. No disrespect to Coach Kill. However, prexy b and badger joel macturi BURIED this program SO deeply that it is hard to tell IF anyone will EVER dig out, rebuild and achieve the level of competetivness that Mason achieved here.

You "smart guys and gals" tell me IF it should be standard that a coache's contract should run down to NOTHING for really outstanding Big Ten Football Recruiting????? How many Big Ten Coaches use NEGATIVE recruiting when a rival coach has just one or two years left on his/her contract?????

You people have most likely seen the high water mark for Gopher Football for the next 25 years and that happened when Glen Mason was our coach. He didn't have this beautiful new stadium, but he did MORE to get this new stadium built than ANY OTHER person connected with the University of Minnesota. THAT is why the idiotic prexy b and bjm were FORCED to extend Mason LONG TERM at the last possible second and it is why they had to pay Mason MILLIONS and MILLIONS in buy outs when they impulsively fired him the very next year. They COMPLETELY destroyed the Gopher Football Program when they brewballedUP and hired the incompetent, inexperienced bungler...brewster.

prexy k had better find a way to TOTALLY support Coach Kill. He has a real MESS to sort through before we even have a chance to start becoming somewhat competetive again. I totally back Coach Kill and will be honored to provide contrast to any sources that choose to speak poorly of Coach Kill and his efforts.

But, make no mistake: Coach Kill has to totally construct a football program. prexy b and badger joel macturi, along with their incredibly disasterous experiment with brewball have DESTROYED Golden Gopher Football. Coach Kill is my ONLY hope and I do believe is the ONLY hope for bringing this football program back to a level of respectability and Big Ten level competetivness. Right now, I would honestly have to say that this may be a 25 year project that may...or...may not succeed. There are NO guarantees of anything. And...IF Coach Kill doesn't make it...you people have only yourselves to blame...

; 0 (

Wren, you should get a part-time job or volunteer at a homeless shelter. You obviously have too much time on your hands.

25 years from now Glenn Mason will only be a distant memory and just another in a long line of failed Gopher coaches.

Guess what? It doesn't matter how it happened, who made the call, or what hypothetical situation might have kept Mason around. He's done, he's gone, and he isn't coming back. Move on with your lives and stop living in the past.

goforbroke: What the h did prexy b and badger joel macturi do after those head bashings that brewster took? How did they respond after an 0-8 Big Ten season?

What did badger joel macturi do in between coaches when 22 returning players became academically inelegible?

How did he treat players who missed their old offensive or defensive coordinators when brewster ran 6 of them through the program in 3.5 seasons? What did bjm do when brewster ran through 3 offenses and 4 defenses?

What the hell did prexy b and bjm do when they couldn't even sell out the new stadium in it's 2nd season? How about the pathetic student section response?

How do you think an old time season ticket holder like me feels when bjm directs people to call my house asking for my contribution when he and prexy b were wasting millions and millions of dollars extending...then buying coaches out????? Or, how is a fan of over 50 years supposed to feel when the product put on the field gets worse and worse and the damn athletic director steals cheers from PSU: "we ARE Minnesota...."

It is time to run the damn athletic director out of the U of M. It is time to rip badger joel macturi a new one at the Football Games. It is time to show the Good Fans from Nebraska that we are really pi$$ed off at the way our athletic director and the former chief administrator at the U of M have shown NO pride and year after year have allowed the football program to be dragged through the MUCK and MIRE.

It is time to run badger joel macturi out of TCF BANK STADIUM any and every way that it can be done.

That's the deal...

; 0 )

If 32-48 is the highwater mark for the next 25 years, that is extremely depressing and we should all just bail out now.

Well, dopodoll, will it be extremely hard to top Mason's Big Ten win record during the next 25 years?

Mason averaged 3.2 Big Ten wins per season for his 10 years.

Since Mason's departure, there have been 4 completed seasons. During the brewster/Horton four year period, there were 8 Big Ten wins for a 2.0 Big Ten win per season average. How will Coach Kill fare in his first season? If he wins one Big Ten game, there would be 9 Big Ten wins in the first five seasons post Mason. That would be a 1.8 Big Ten wins per season average. If there are no Big Ten wins in 2011, the average would fall to 1.6 Big Ten wins per season. In order for the decade to produce an average of 3.2 Big Ten wins per season, there would have to be a fair amount of catching up done during the remaining 20 years in the comparison. During the final 20 years, the combined coaches would have to win Big Ten games at an average rate of 3.7 B.T. wins a season.

The fact of the matter is though that with Nebraska being added to the schedule every year, the task is even more difficult during the next 20 seasons.

The first five seasons of the "next twenty five" got off to a pretty darn rough start...Winning Big Ten Football games has NEVER been a very easy thing to do here at Minnesota.

; 0 (

Mason's tenure, and the 25 years before it, are indicative of nothing other than the fact that the Minnesota football team was not very successful.

We can learn from our history, but we are not condemned to repeat it. This BS defeatist attitude being espoused by you and your lunatic friend needs to stop. I, for one, will not stand for it.

I, for one will not stand for the typical administrative neglect and lack of "football sense" that administrators at the U have consistantly displayed without at least pointing out their inadequacy. You and your "no tactic is too low to stoop to" friends are hopeless, helpless and nothing but hopeless and helpless. You and your type had prexy b and badger joel macturi's ears and look where THAT got us?

Your attitude does NOTHING to improve the situation...never has and, of course, it NEVER will.

; 0 )

Top Bottom