Why doesn't Chip get any minutes??

Gopher00

Reaction score
Somebody help me out on this one? has been a ghost since his great 2nd half against MSU

I think it's his defense. He was in in the middle of the game and got pulled after getting a foul off the ball.

In my opinion they need his offense to bad for him to sit that much

I think it's his defense. He was in in the middle of the game and got pulled after getting a foul off the ball.

Right. No one else has problems on defense. I saw him getting the quick pull for getting a foul. That has to be the first Gopher player that I have seen getting pulled for that reason- unless they were in foul trouble. Tubby doesn't like aggressive players. He talks toughness but he plays weakness. The team desperately needs offense and Armelin offers that. Tubby won't play him. Inexplicable to me and one of the prime reasons I am so disgusted with what I have seen from Coach Smith this year.

Right. No one else has problems on defense. I saw him getting the quick pull for getting a foul. That has to be the first Gopher player that I have seen getting pulled for that reason- unless they were in foul trouble. Tubby doesn't like aggressive players. He talks toughness but he plays weakness. The team desperately needs offense and Armelin offers that. Tubby won't play him. Inexplicable to me and one of the prime reasons I am so disgusted with what I have seen from Coach Smith this year.

bga1, I'm with you 100% on my confusion over the role that Tubby has Chip playing and the leash he has him on. Tubby is a control freak and has a hard time with guards that are flashy, yet that is exactly what this team needs. He gives us the one dimension that we don't have - a guy that can penetrate, take it to the hoop, get fouled, and get a shot off. Yet he doesn't get any PT.

My two biggest frustrations with this season is not trying someone else at PG until tonight and not playing Chip more.

Go Gophers!!

Somebody help me out on this one? has been a ghost since his great 2nd half against MSU

Armelin is one of the best players on the team. He brings things to the floor that most of the others cant.

And Tubby sits him. :eek:

bga1, I'm with you 100% on my confusion over the role that Tubby has Chip playing and the leash he has him on. Tubby is a control freak and has a hard time with guards that are flashy, yet that is exactly what this team needs. He gives us the one dimension that we don't have - a guy that can penetrate, take it to the hoop, get fouled, and get a shot off. Yet he doesn't get any PT.

My two biggest frustrations with this season is not trying someone else at PG until tonight and not playing Chip more.

Go Gophers!!

So what does that say about Andre Hollins? Thinking he is the guard you decribe above? Will he be sitting?

based on the look on Chip's face when he was at the free throw line he's frustrated too

He was their secret weapon for the down 9 with 1:30 to go scenario. And yes, GophersinIowa, I did see him in the game earlier for 2 minutes before he got yanked so that we could see players holding the ball on the perimeter

He's not necessarily one of the best players, but he is one of the only players that offers the ability to drive to the basket and create, which is a must with the balance of the lineup. He could be a 25 minute a night person this year and a 10 minute a night person in subsequent years depending upon quality of recruits, but you need to play him this year since no one else can create from the perimeter

So what does that say about Andre Hollins? Thinking he is the guard you decribe above? Will he be sitting?

When I've seen Andre play he is much more in control and not as aggressive as Chip. A smarter player and a better shooter, albeit not quite as athletic. Certainly that could change at the next level but I don't think they are too comparable at this point (please note that I never saw Chip play in HS, so I'm only comparing Andre in HS to Chip in college).

Go Gophers!!

He is the only one on this team with any (Insert word indicating manly parts here).

agreed re: look; let's hope that it doesn't bode unfavorably in the off-season

Worst case scenario for next year: Andre kicks butt in the non-conference schedule but is benched in favor of Maverick in the Big Ten season because the former free lances too much and Maverick "stays within the system"

Andre will play. I'd guess he's a better all around player than Chip. But that's not the point. THIS team needed tough minded offensive players. Chip, if given the minutes after Nolen went down coudl have done a lot of things to help this team. Enough to get them a few more wins? Maybe.

I was pissed when Chip got yanked instantly for a foul. I don't think he'd have a ton of options for other schools after not being very highly recruited out of hs, but I really hope he doesn't take off. I'd be pretty damn frustrated if I were him.

Agreed re: Chip. I don't know if I posted it on this site or the other (pay) site around 3 weeks ago, but I argued that Chip needed to play 25 minutes a game and Tubby needed to let the "Chip(s) fall where they may." Again, I'm not trying to be delusional about Chip's talent or upside, but it is a function of what he brings to the table this season relative to the other players on the team.

I was pissed when Chip got yanked instantly for a foul. I don't think he'd have a ton of options for other schools after not being very highly recruited out of hs, but I really hope he doesn't take off. I'd be pretty damn frustrated if I were him.

He'e one player I could see thinking about transferring. No facts but just a thought after the way Tubby hasn't used him.

This baffles me the most about Tubby's decisions.

It is idiocy to not play Chip more given the makeup of this team the last month. He gives them something dynamic on the perimeter, which nobody else on the team not named Nolen can give them. The "station to station" offensive attack with Hoffarber, Rodney, Maverick in the backcourt and the bigs at the high post - is woeful.

I'd love to hear the real story behind this, because this makes Tubby look completely out of touch. This team could not have performed any worse over the last several weeks - and the biggest weakness is the ability to score in the half court, which Chip can do.

Hollins substitutes with Williams, Armelin would have taken minutes away from Hoffarber, that is probably the biggest reason. Last night it probably would have been benefited the team though. They went with Ahamisi as much as they could at point and chose to have Hollins and Williams in when he was out. Not sure why.

Hollins substitutes with Williams, Armelin would have taken minutes away from Hoffarber, that is probably the biggest reason. Last night it probably would have been benefited the team though. They went with Ahamisi as much as they could at point and chose to have Hollins and Williams in when he was out. Not sure why.

I agree that it seems that Tubby does it that way. The question is - do the lineup substitutions have to be that tightly aligned? I see teams out there playing 3 or even 4 guards if they have to. Put 5 guys out on the court that can work together to score a little. Playing Ahanmisi 32 minutes because of the position he plays versus 9 for Armelin is just plain stupid IMO.

Chip is Devoe without the passing skills, ball handling skills, jump shooting skills, or defensive skills ... yet this board hated Devoe and loves chip, I will never understand ... :confused:

(And yes, while Devoe was not perfect at any of those, he was easily better than Chip at every single one. And not even close either.)

IMO, Chip is a spark player right now. That's it. People need to stop acting like he is Harrison Barnes. He is a great find late in the process (by Tubby Smith), but he is not the solution at PG or anywhere else. Austin is better, Rodney is better (he plays defense), Blake is better, and Mav is better at PG.

I like Chip, he works hard and will be solid in 4 years. Right now, he is an offensive spark. That's about it.

Chip is Devoe without the passing skills, ball handling skills, jump shooting skills, or defensive skills ... yet this board hated Devoe and loves chip, I will never understand ... :confused:

(And yes, while Devoe was not perfect at any of those, he was easily better than Chip at every single one. And not even close either.)

IMO, Chip is a spark player right now. That's it. People need to stop acting like he is Harrison Barnes. He is a great find late in the process (by Tubby Smith), but he is not the perfect player and solution.

Devoe was a pretty good ball player. I don't think anyone suggests that Chip would have gotten minutes in place of Devoe. Any anger at Devoe I am pretty sure is related to off court behavior and quitting the team. I don't know of anyone that wishes he were not here at the moment.
Tubby hated Devoe's defense too by the way.

There. Now we have that covered. Now how would you compare Chip to Rodney or Ahanmisi in terms of on court efficiency. Let's compare him to current alternatives. Maybe you are one that likes to see Dawson suck up minutes? There are no perfect solutions. But Armelin -in the one game he was given decent floor time delivered 12 points in 20 minutes or so and the poitns were while the game was on the line. Not bad for such a lousy player.

IMO, Chip is a spark player right now. That's it. People need to stop acting like he is Harrison Barnes. He is a great find late in the process (by Tubby Smith), but he is not the solution at PG or anywhere else. Austin is better, Rodney is better (he plays defense), Blake is better, and Mav is better at PG.

I like Chip, he works hard and will be solid in 4 years. Right now, he is an offensive spark. That's about it.

You are right. Only details is that Chip is better at driving the basket and Joseph was well-loved here until he quit on his teammates.

No kidding. I saw that exact look.

I had turned the game off by then so I missed the play but judging by Chip's facial expressions on the bench earlier in the game and the two or more highly touted guards coming in next year I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer.

Tubby got some bad breaks this year but he also managed to get in his own way. I'm very disappointed in his coaching this season.

I had turned the game off by then so I missed the play but judging by Chip's facial expressions on the bench earlier in the game and the two or more highly touted guards coming in next year I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer.

Tubby got some bad breaks this year but he also managed to get in his own way. I'm very disappointed in his coaching this season.

Me too. Just wanted to see a little more flexibility in his thinking and management this year.

The one thing about Tubby is he has been a winner and he's a good man. I expect he relooks his roster and his coaching a bit in the off season and we may be in for a pleasant surprise next year. For now I'm going with that until I get ticked off again- probably sometime Sunday afternoon. ;)

Top Bottom