Doogie: Men of Troy? One vote for Calhoun to be the next Gophers coach

We could do worse, but I wouldn't throw 6 & 15 mil at him, shouldn't take that much. The nice thing is their season ends early so he can get in and interview quickly.

Damn, now I have to clean off my monitor

I was with Doogie for the first couple of paragraphs, until I came to this:

" He could bring back Minnesota's best defensive coordinator in the last 20 years, David Gibbs. He could also bring back Minnesota's best in-state recruiter in the last 20 years, Gordy Shaw."

Now I gotta wipe up the Diet Coke from my spit-take.

" He could bring back Minnesota's best defensive coordinator in the last 20 years, David Gibbs. He could also bring back Minnesota's best in-state recruiter in the last 20 years, Gordy Shaw."

I don't mind the Calhoun selection but c'mon. Gordy Shaw one of the best "in-state recruiters", seriously? The guys never developed under Brewster, but Shaw did an atrocious job of recruiting the local kids, a simply terrible job. It was one of the reasons why people grew tired of Mason. The entire Mason staff really alienated local coaches and helped build the strong connection between our better instate programs and our rivals.

Shaw is a good coach and you can certainly say a lot of positive things about his abilities to coach lineman, but "one of the best in-state recruiters in the last 20 years" is asanine. Gordy Shaw did a better job of recruiting for Wisconsin (in MN) than he did for the Gophers.

I vote for Calhoun, after Richt, Les Miles and Patterson all say no

You'd rather have Les Miles than Calhoun?

Gordy Shaw is a joke.
Shaw was passed over for the St. Thomas job a few years back. There is a reason the guy is unemployed.

Maybe it's me--and I was taken to task by a poster last week--but I don't quite understand the spell that David Gibbs cast over some segments of the Minnesota sports community during his stint as Mason's defensive coordinator. He did alright, but I never saw him as anything special.

Anyway, best defensive coordinator in the past 20 years at Minnesota is roughly equivalent to the top contestant on Jeopardy's Short Bus Week competition.

Shaw did well as our O-line coach, but if he was our best in-state recruiter, how come we lost so many in-state kids? No offense to Shaw, who likely worked very hard, but I want to be successful in landing the top kids in the state.

As negative as I just was about Shaw. I do like the head coach suggestion. He is in my top 5.

1) Leach
2) Belloti
3) Sumlin
4) Golden
5) Calhoun....and 2-5 are pretty much interchangeable in terms of how excited I would be.

As negative as I just was about Shaw. I do like the head coach suggestion. He is in my top 5.

1) Leach
2) Belloti
3) Sumlin
4) Golden
5) Calhoun....and 2-5 are pretty much interchangeable in terms of how excited I would be.

If you take out Leach, I would agree with your list. I would be very happy with any of those four.

Gordy Shaw is a joke.
Shaw was passed over for the St. Thomas job a few years back. There is a reason the guy is unemployed.

He's not unemployed... coaching the O-line for a good Hawaii team.

I like Miles, he has Michigan roots, turned around the OK St program and has done alright with LSU. I see alot of comparisons between his and Orlando "Tubby" Smith. Tubby Smith was villafied at Kentucky just like Miles is at LSU although they are currently 7-1. He's the first person I thought of when Maturi made the Tubby reference.

1) Leach
2) Belloti
3) Sumlin
4) Golden

A. Leach and Belloti.............I just don't see the U going in that direction(s)

B. Harbaugh, Peterson and Paterson...............Would be great, but slim chance of landing here.

C..Sumlin, Golden and Calhoun.....Much better chance of landing. All three would be a good hire.

I'm hoping we land someone from B or C.

Maybe it's me--and I was taken to task by a poster last week--but I don't quite understand the spell that David Gibbs cast over some segments of the Minnesota sports community during his stint as Mason's defensive coordinator. He did alright, but I never saw him as anything special.

Anyway, best defensive coordinator in the past 20 years at Minnesota is roughly equivalent to the top contestant on Jeopardy's Short Bus Week competition.

Shaw did well as our O-line coach, but if he was our best in-state recruiter, how come we lost so many in-state kids? No offense to Shaw, who likely worked very hard, but I want to be successful in landing the top kids in the state.

Don't disagree... but between recruiting and helping the Gophers for a decent stretch have a respectable defense, he is the best def. coord. they've had in a while.

No problem Doogie. It wasn't you who took me apart last week. I think Mrs. Gibbs was posting that day. LOL.

I don't disagree that Gibbs and Roof were the best DCs we've had in the post-Gutey era. I'm just saying even at my advanced age, I could metaphorically high-jump over a bar that low.

Don't disagree... but between recruiting and helping the Gophers for a decent stretch have a respectable defense, he is the best def. coord. they've had in a while.

Ranked 8th in scoring D in 1999 is nothing to sneeze at. I was peeved when he left. I don't think he was here long enough to establish himself as a good/bad/mediocre coordinator, but I liked they way his defenses played. Very aggressive.

I'm with most of the people here, with the A,B,C list of coaches.

If we are lucky enough to end up with a Calhoun, Sumlin or Golden (the last being my favorite), this program would be in much better shape overnight.

I think games like Wisconsin in 1999 stick out with regards to David Gibbs as the Gopher defensive coordinator. Ron Dayne ran for over 2000 yards that year, yet he got nothing going against a Gibbs-led Gopher defense.

That Wisconsin team won the BT and the Rose Bowl. They won in the dome 20-17 in OT. The Gophers held Dayne to 80 yards on 25 carries.

http://builda.cstv.com/pdfs/10445.pdf

There was a stretch of time where the Gophers had a stout run defense under Gibbs and it was fun to know teams could not move the ball on them.

The only way I want David Gibbs back as DC is if he brings dad along to coach the O-line.

Weak doogie. Really weak.

"He could bring back Minnesota's best defensive coordinator in the last 20 years, David Gibbs."

You think the U would settle for David Gibbs? After the disaster that we are witnessing now? I would hope the new coach would be able to significantly upgrade the assistants.

"He could also bring back Minnesota's best in-state recruiter in the last 20 years, Gordy Shaw."

:eek: Again, been there, done that. Shaws offenses were good - right up until they really needed a yard. Or a solid pass to put the game away. They made hay on weak opponents, for the most part.

Not much faith in the big names. Time will tell.......

I swear it's like people think Minnesota will be the top priority when the season ends. Do people even remember Gibbs at the U? Settling??? After Cosgrove? The U would be lucky if Gibbs considered coming back...Gordy Shaw Unemployed??? Wow...bitterness does wonders to the mind...

I swear it's like people think Minnesota will be the top priority when the season ends. Do people even remember Gibbs at the U? Settling??? After Cosgrove? The U would be lucky if Gibbs considered coming back...Gordy Shaw Unemployed??? Wow...bitterness does wonders to the mind...

No bitterness, just reality. Noticed you had no comment on the results Shaw's boys achieved against superior D's.

Both would be risks. Sumlin is in his THIRD year as a head coach, in a weak conference, with a Wackerball style. Air Force was solid long before Calhoun arrived - they have been good for decades.

Yea but Doogie

Calhoun was one of the very very few coaches who lost to Brewster and the gophers. That isnt good on his resume.

The best D-Coordinator at the University of Minnesota in the last 20 years?
The best in-state recruiter at the University of Minnesota in the last 20 years?
Do these two things really matter? If I remember correctly the U of MN hasn't been too impressive over that time period.

Are they shooting for mediocrity with this hire or are they trying to make a splash in hopes of making a climb to the top?

Calhoun was one of the very very few coaches who lost to Brewster and the gophers. That isnt good on his resume.

Hear you... I think I pointed that out in the blog... but that game was more Nate Triplett playing the game of his life... not really an indictment on Calhoun, IMO.

The best D-Coordinator at the University of Minnesota in the last 20 years?
The best in-state recruiter at the University of Minnesota in the last 20 years?
Do these two things really matter? If I remember correctly the U of MN hasn't been too impressive over that time period.

Are they shooting for mediocrity with this hire or are they trying to make a splash in hopes of making a climb to the top?

Trying to make that splash, but who's realistic? Sumlin is very realistic... Calhoun is to a degree, but not as much as Sumlin... for sake of this post, let's go with Sumlin... he has proven enough that he knows what he's doing... so you combine him with a functioning defensive mind in Gibbs and a coach in Shaw who still is beloved by many in the state, and really in many states, and you have a decent foundation.

Gibbs is better than Cosgrove but so are most coaches almost by default.

I don't see a problem with wanting to aim high. The answers to moving the Gophers football program forward do not lie in its past. Maybe if we had Big Ten titles in the recent past, but we don't. This program needs fresh blood and fresh life breathed into it.

It seems to me Gibbs wants to be in the NFL. He left MN for a position coach in the NFL. He was the DC at Auburn, then left there for the NFL.

Trying to make that splash, but who's realistic? Sumlin is very realistic... Calhoun is to a degree, but not as much as Sumlin... for sake of this post, let's go with Sumlin... he has proven enough that he knows what he's doing... so you combine him with a functioning defensive mind in Gibbs and a coach in Shaw who still is beloved by many in the state, and really in many states, and you have a decent foundation.

Was Tubby realistic before it actually happened?

So hopefully the U's realistic is different than your realistic.

Top Bottom