2023 MN High School Football season

Look - even if a Private School does have some type of inherent advantage, they still have to go out onto the field or the court and play the game.

when a Private School plays a Public school, the Private school does not start the game up 3-0 or 7-0 on the scoreboard.

in my neck of the woods, SW MN Christian has been very successful in Boys Basketball. They have gone to state 9 times and won 5 state titles. But, in the last 21 seasons, they have gone to state 3 times - meaning someone else won the Section title 18 times. And the SW MN Christian Girls BB program has gone to state 7 times - but only 3 times in the last 37 years - and no state titles.

if you don't want the Private school to win - then beat them on the court or on the field.

Look - even if a Private School does have some type of inherent advantage, they still have to go out onto the field or the court and play the game.

when a Private School plays a Public school, the Private school does not start the game up 3-0 or 7-0 on the scoreboard.

in my neck of the woods, SW MN Christian has been very successful in Boys Basketball. They have gone to state 9 times and won 5 state titles. But, in the last 21 seasons, they have gone to state 3 times - meaning someone else won the Section title 18 times. And the SW MN Christian Girls BB program has gone to state 7 times - but only 3 times in the last 37 years - and no state titles.

if you don't want the Private school to win - then beat them on the court or on the field.
I understand your sentiment here but I'd argue that SW Christian is an anomaly being located in Edgerton and no major cities nearby. I grew up in Luverne and don't know of a single person that went there for athletic reasons, but feel like that is a very prevalent issue in the cities where they recruit players.

No one here disagrees with any of this

My solution would increase their enrollment from 136 to 149 assuming nobody there is on full scholarship/grant

This would change their classification in the follow sports:

That’s it, that’s the list, none

The advantage is how rich the student body is. Sure, not all private schools are like that. That’s fine.

But public schools that are rich also tend to be large. Small public schools are usually either poor urban or rural farm communities.

That’s why privates can upset things, because they can be both rich but also smaller.

6A: South over Centennial
EP over Edina - future is bright for the Hornets - QB Mason West only a sophomore and has thrown for over 2,000 yards with 24 TD's this season.

5A: Alexandria over St Thomas Academy
Andover over Chanhassen in a shootout

6A Centennial and Eden Prairie
5A Alexandria and Andover
4A Rocori and Hutchinson
3A Dassel-Cokato and Stewartville
2A Jackson CC and Cannon Falls
1A Springfield and Minneota
9P Kingsland and Nevis

EP over Edina - future is bright for the Hornets - QB Mason West only a sophomore and has thrown for over 2,000 yards with 24 TD's this season.

Edina is maybe the best coached 6a team in the state IMO

Or out recruit them....
Not saying public schools don't recruit, but far more prevalent at private schools.

Is that where you coach?
No

I just really think they maximize their talent.
Soph QB plays really well. They’ve simplified it for him and he is playing better than he was earlier.

Edina RB isn’t a d1 guy, but he runs as good as anyone at the high school level.
Long wideouts.

Their line is undersized but they’re physical because they are well coached and know what to do.

Defense doesn’t make mistakes, makes you earn the whole field.

I think their coach may have been Armstrong DC before he was at Edina? But I’m not sure. Something like that.

I don’t think they will beat Eden Prairie. I think Eden prairie too much size for them on the lines.

Last edited:

Has anyone here actually watched Alex this year?

Or are you just picking them because the Gophers are recruiting their kicker? :sneaky:

Has anyone here actually watched Alex this year?

Or are you just picking them because the Gophers are recruiting their kicker? :sneaky:
I saw them when I was in Duluth and their team was up there for Duluth team camp this summer. Their QB really impressed me.

Have not seen a game. That was back in June.

Just did a quick search to see where he is going. Apparently he is only a junior and is a better basketball recruit than football recruit

I saw them when I was in Duluth and their team was up there for Duluth team camp this summer. Their QB really impressed me.

Have not seen a game. That was back in June.

Just did a quick search to see where he is going. Apparently he is only a junior and is a better basketball recruit than football recruit
The QB is the younger brother of Treyton Thompson who played for the Gophers before transferring.

I think their coach may have been Armstrong DC before he was at Edina? But I’m not sure. Something like that.
He was OC at Armstrong prior to coming to Edina.

He was rather prickly his first season there, and I wasn't sure he was the right guy, but he has this squad going in the right direction.

Go Hornets! Beat Evil Prairie!

Potts is a good coach and has done an exceptional job this season. Edina got a good hire. However, to suggest a coach who has one winning season in his career, is perhaps the best coach in 6A, is laughable.

Potts is a good coach and has done an exceptional job this season. Edina got a good hire. However, to suggest a coach who has one winning season in his career, is perhaps the best coach in 6A, is laughable.
I didn’t say he was the best coach in 6a
Glad you laughed at something you imagined though

OK, how can the best coach not have the best coached team? I genuinely am curious

Correct. Are you dumb

Would it be safe to say the gophers appeared to be one of the better coached teams in the county in 2019?
Would that be the same thing as saying PJ fleck is one of the best coaches in the country?

The answer is no, it would not be the same thing.

Cryptic is cryptic.

No one has any clue what you mean. Possibly you're talking about the entire staff/assistant coaches vs just the head coach, but that's a wild guess.

Cryptic is cryptic.

No one has any clue what you mean. Possibly you're talking about the entire staff/assistant coaches vs just the head coach, but that's a wild guess.
People who speak English know what I mean

Over 99% of native English speakers would say "____ is the best coached team in the state" to mean that their (head) coach is the best.

You used the language in a unusual way.

I've allowed you to troll long enough on this. Move on

No one here disagrees with any of this

My solution would increase their enrollment from 136 to 149 assuming nobody there is on full scholarship/grant

This would change their classification in the follow sports:

That’s it, that’s the list, none
They why do it?

Or out recruit them....
Not saying public schools don't recruit, but far more prevalent at private schools.
Proof? In my neck of the woods its a one way street. Kids leave the private schools for public for athletic reasons.

Last edited:

Proof? In my neck of the woods its a one way street. Kids leave the private schools for public for athletic reasons.
I have a bunch of relatives that go or went to TG (some played sports there). I got to hear plenty of stories about the athletes there.
I also have coached for public school sports teams and have kids that play for public schools. I know of quite a few examples. This is in the metro suburbs.

Last edited:

Just because there are private schools that are smaller, poorer, and/or choose not to focus on (or even have) athletics, doesn’t mean we have to allow the rich, athletics-emphasizing ones to get away with being in lower classes then they should be!

Edina’s youth program is absolutely terrible, I don’t know if I’d say the future is bright.

Top Bottom