Some Gophers News from Charley Walters

Iceland12

Reaction score
>>There were four NFL scouts at the Gophers-Nebraska game specifically to watch Minnesota tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford.

>> Ibrahim, who received a $100,000 free agent signing bonus from the Lions, was waived but goes on the team’s injured reserve list.
Ex-Gophers QB Tanner Morgan, who got a $25,000 free agent signing bonus from the Steelers, was released.

>> Ex-North Dakota State QB Easton Stick is the No. 2 QB for the Chargers. Ex-Gophers QB Chris Streveler was waived from injured reserve by the Jets with an injury settlement.

>> The sold-out (53,629) Gophers-Nebraska game in Minneapolis had the fifth-highest secondary market ticket price — $159.36 — in the country among college football openers, per Logitix. Florida State-LSU in Orlando, Fla., was No. 1 at $445.22..

Lotta Red in the stadium but at least they paid a premium $$$$ to be there...

Looking forward to the day that it's folks wearing Gold who are paying the big bucks...

Last edited:

Lotta Red in the stadium but at least they paid a premium $$$$ to be there...

Looking forward to the day that it's folks wearing Gold who are paying the big bucks...

I didn’t think there was that many Nebraska fans. Maybe a section behind me I couldn’t see? Compared to how they traveled to Oregon (which I attended) it was a paltry showing from them.

I didn’t think there was that many Nebraska fans. Maybe a section behind me I couldn’t see? Compared to how they traveled to Oregon (which I attended) it was a paltry showing from them.
The upper visitor side looked pretty red from 211, especially since the Huskers tended to get to their seats early while Gopher fans were still getting into the stadium and walking the concourses 2-3 minutes before KO.

I'd offer it was one of the better traveled games by the opponents ever at TCF.

All anecdotal of course.

The upper visitor side looked pretty red from 211, especially since the Huskers tended to get to their seats early while Gopher fans were still getting into the stadium and walking the concourses 2-3 minutes before KO.

All anecdotal of course.
From what I saw on TV I would agree. But I would put the estimates at 5,000 (7,000 tops). Less than what some of the predictions were.

Also saw the upper corners of the Home Side had a large clump of red. Don't really recall seeing that before.

Certainly nothing like the 'Dome days when it would be 40-60 or even 50-50 for I-O-W-A or Wisky. Yuck.

Also saw the upper corners of the Home Side had a large clump of red. Don't really recall seeing that before.

Certainly nothing like the 'Dome days when it would be 40-60 or even 50-50 for I-O-W-A or Wisky. Yuck.
Good point. I felt there were a lot of Husker fans on Thursday, by it is all relative.

When MN folks see high ticket prices, they instinctively say "Oooh ... I should sell my tickets and make some money!"

Just is what it is. Vikings too

When MN folks see high ticket prices, they instinctively say "Oooh ... I should sell my tickets and make some money!"

Pretty sure that happens everywhere. Look at the Vegas Raiders. Obviously being in a pro sports town there are more scalpers they just gone from in person to selling on secondary market.

All anecdotal of course.

No doubt. But if 10ish percent is visiting fans that’s fine. Not overwhelming. The visitor section is behind me. I’ve sat there before when buying large amounts of tickets and it’s fun being near visiting fans.

I thought it was a great atmosphere for a slow game. Students were great. Love seeing 10,000 early arrivals

I enjoyed the Big Red fans behind me. They were whooping it up through the game: "You can't run the ball, Minnesota. You can't run the ball."

I like that as long as it's not over the top.

When I was at Lambeau I told them I respected them and was in their house as cover for my yelling, and they get to yell at me back.

There are Cornhusker fans who live and work in Minnesota. The state is a regional magnet for jobs. Even Corn Nation's Jon Johnston lives in Minnesota. It appears that his wife and kids are Gopher fans.

Plenty of Nebraska fans living in the Twin Cities area. Not all travelers.
Kind of reminds me of the old SCTV skit:

When you live in the bigger city with tons of local state transplants, you will ALWAYS have a big contingent of the opposing fans.

Tons of SD, ND, and NE residents and husker fans that will show up and buy high prices Tix once every few years for this game.

I am in Houston and a Texans season tix holder. When the Steelers, Bears, Packers, etc play us, half the stadium is there fans as they live here and will pay $$$$$$ once in awhile to see their team play llive.

Look at the northwestern stadium when ANY team plays them. Tons of fans from all over living in Chicago. It is what it is.

Not according to the "fans" on Gopherhole. Minnesota tickets are "outrageous" and "no one can afford to go". Top that off with the crazy $10-20 a month to stream Gopher games, and they have already priced themselves out of the market.

Minnesota needs far more "big buck donors" to allow the skinflints to stay home and watch the games. I mean hell, it might rain or the temp might get above 75 or below 60.

Not according to the "fans" on Gopherhole. Minnesota tickets are "outrageous" and "no one can afford to go". Top that off with the crazy $10-20 a month to stream Gopher games, and they have already priced themselves out of the market.

Minnesota needs far more "big buck donors" to allow the skinflints to stay home and watch the games. I mean hell, it might rain or the temp might get above 75 or below 60.
Acknowledgements to James Thurber...

1693852474627.png

When you live in the bigger city with tons of local state transplants, you will ALWAYS have a big contingent of the opposing fans.

Tons of SD, ND, and NE residents and husker fans that will show up and buy high prices Tix once every few years for this game.

I am in Houston and a Texans season tix holder. When the Steelers, Bears, Packers, etc play us, half the stadium is there fans as they live here and will pay $$$$$$ once in awhile to see their team play llive.

Look at the northwestern stadium when ANY team plays them. Tons of fans from all over living in Chicago. It is what it is.
Yeah, the Packers and Vikings games down in PHX almost look and sound like a home game.

I saw BSF catch one pass, did I miss him catching more?
NE must have doubled him and put single coverage on Jackson. Which bit them in the ass.

There are Cornhusker fans who live and work in Minnesota. The state is a regional magnet for jobs. Even Corn Nation's Jon Johnston lives in Minnesota. It appears that his wife and kids are Gopher fans.

Ok? I don’t know why you told me this. Pretty common knowledge that fans of other teams live in the Twin Cities metro.

I believe a couple were very short patterns...easily missed...:p

From what I saw on TV I would agree. But I would put the estimates at 5,000 (7,000 tops). Less than what some of the predictions were.
Probably only 2500 to 3000 of them made it back home alive.

I know guys that pay for their season tickets by selling the one game to Nebraska fans. I get it...

Sure, makes sense.

I know Vikings season ticket holders looking to cash in on Mahomes coming to town. Instead of, you know, enjoying the thing you paid for and seeing a generational talent come play the game. Like I said, is what it is.

Top Bottom