Opt-outs for Pinstipe Bowl (so far so good!)

I don’t understand what that means.

Are you saying no big deal if he gets hurt?
The difference in money and security between being a late draft pick or an UDFA is very little.

I get what you are saying, the safest thing for any player to do is sit out and avoid all risk of getting hurt in the game. The reality is that most players are not wired like that.

Football is the ultimate team game...and Mo comes across as a very strong Team guy. Records or no records he is going to want to be out there one more time with his teammates and I highly doubt he spends much time worrying about an injury since it could literally happen on any play at any time.

The difference in money and security between being a late draft pick or an UDFA is very little.

I get what you are saying, the safest thing for any player to do is sit out and avoid all risk of getting hurt in the game. The reality is that most players are not wired like that.

Football is the ultimate team game...and Mo comes across as a very strong Team guy. Records or no records he is going to want to be out there one more time with his teammates and I highly doubt he spends much time worrying about an injury since it could literally happen on any play at any time.
Matters little to some NFL draft board fans fans. But why should that matter?

Not the individual trying to get into the NFL when you evaluate it on an individual level.

Guys aren’t considering what some NFL fan thinks when they think about their options.

And UDFA is not even a sure thing if you have a bad injury. The alternative is potentially 0 chance.

some perspective for younger fans.
# of Bowl games played each year:
1902 to 1934 - 1
1935 to 1936 - 4
1937 to 1944 - 5
1945 - 6
1946 to 1958 - 7
1959 to 1967 - 8
1968 to 1970 - 9
1971 to 1975 - 10
1976 to 1977 - 11
1978 to 1985 - 12
1986 to 1988 - 13
1989 -- 14
1990 to 1991 - 15
1992 -- 16
1993 to 1996 - 17
1997 -- 18
1998 -- 19
1999 to 2000 - 20
2001 -- 21
2002 -- 23
2003 to 2005 - 24
2006 to 2007 - 27
2008 to 2009 - 29
2010 to 2013 - 31
2014 -- 35
2015 to 2016 - 37
2017 to 2019 - 38
2020 -- 39
2021 to 2022 - 41

point being that the proliferation of bowl games is a relatively recent development. through the year 2000, there were 20 bowl games. that has doubled in the last 22 years.

potential Day 3 pick too less likely day 3 pick isn't that big of a deal. Love Mo, but he also spent half his NFL prime years in college, short shelf life for backs in the NFL, especially backs coming off ACL surgery who don't have breakaway speed, his strengths aren't going to be strengths at the next level
This site has him listed as the 8th best available RB and slotted to go in the 4th round-

This site has him listed as the 8th best available RB and slotted to go in the 4th round-

Only qualifier there is that this is the ranking before underclassmen declare their intent.

A lot will depend on if he's invited to the combine and if he performs well there. I think he has a chance at the next level because he's a good one-cut back and gets out of the blocks fairly well. His challenge is he's not going to run over people like he did in college and he's not going to get to the second level consistently. But there's a still a place in the league for a guy who can work in tight spaces.

Two weeks out. No news continues to be good news.

A lot of the posts in this thread were about Mo specifically. I look forward to see him out there one last time!
Absolutely. As many good RBs as the Gophers have had through the years, Mo is probably my favorite. Others may have had more physical talent, but Mo is just the embodiment of an irrepressible will. I will never forget his moving the pile for the first down against Auburn in the Outback Bowl.

Absolutely. As many good RBs as the Gophers have had through the years, Mo is probably my favorite. Others may have had more physical talent, but Mo is just the embodiment of an irrepressible will. I will never forget his moving the pile for the first down against Auburn in the Outback Bowl.

Agree on your point on Mo being a favorite. though I'm going to argue the talent comment. Mo may not have super high top end speed, but he has great vision (huge), balance, power, and burst. I'd call him extremely talented.

I will also never forget the announcer repeatedly exclaiming: "Ibrahim!" after each big run in the later stages of the game and finally..."Oh, the power!" I will also never forget that Auburn All American defensive lineman's body language (head down, crouched over, hands on his knees, and shaking his head) after that last first down run featuring the huge push from the pile that you mentioned.

In most bowl games, Mo would have been the MVP of the game and earned consecutive bowl MVP awards. He just had the misfortune of having that great performance in the same game that Tyler Johnson had his outstanding performance.

Last edited:

Agree on your point on Mo being a favorite. though I'm going to argue the talent comment. Mo may not have super high top end speed, but he has great vision (huge), balance, power, and burst. I'd call him extremely talented.
I was more talking raw speed, but you are correct on his awesome football skills.

I will also never forget the announcer repeatedly exclaiming: "Ibrahim!" after each big run in the later stages of the game and finally..."Oh, the power!" I will also never forget that Auburn All American defensive lineman's body language (head down, crouched over, hands on his knees, and shaking his head) after that last first down run featuring the huge push from the pile that you mentioned.

In most bowl games, Mo would have been the MVP of the game and earned consecutive bowl MVP awards. He just had the misfortune of having that great performance in the same game that Tyler Johnson had his outstanding performance.
Man that was such a fun game. I'll never forget being there. Auburn came to play and Minnesota straight up beat them. I wsa hoping to relive that "big time" bowl atmosphere one of the past two years :-( Next year!

Purdue getting hit hard by opt outs. O'Connell and Jones both opting out.
Man, that's rough. Say what you want about Fleck, but the team loves to play for him. He's had a bunch of draft picks play in bowl games -- including the most meaningless of meaningless last year in terrible conditions in Phoenix againt a lackluster opponent. I don't know how he does it.

At this point, less than 2 weeks out, it is safe to say that we will not have any opt-outs at all. It will be fun to watch Mo and the gophers play, and this may very well be a lot more fun Bowl experience than we first thought. Compare and contrast to the Purdue - LSU game in Orlando, where it may turn into a bad bad experience for Purdue........

Last edited:

some perspective for younger fans.
# of Bowl games played each year:
1902 to 1934 - 1
1935 to 1936 - 4
1937 to 1944 - 5
1945 - 6
1946 to 1958 - 7
1959 to 1967 - 8
1968 to 1970 - 9
1971 to 1975 - 10
1976 to 1977 - 11
1978 to 1985 - 12
1986 to 1988 - 13
1989 -- 14
1990 to 1991 - 15
1992 -- 16
1993 to 1996 - 17
1997 -- 18
1998 -- 19
1999 to 2000 - 20
2001 -- 21
2002 -- 23
2003 to 2005 - 24
2006 to 2007 - 27
2008 to 2009 - 29
2010 to 2013 - 31
2014 -- 35
2015 to 2016 - 37
2017 to 2019 - 38
2020 -- 39
2021 to 2022 - 41

point being that the proliferation of bowl games is a relatively recent development. through the year 2000, there were 20 bowl games. that has doubled in the last 22 years.
Thanks for sharing - I found this interesting.

I think an argument can be made either way on whether bowl games are meaningless or not. Take Mo for example, if his attitude was to do everything he can to be in best position for the draft, this game is meaningless. He could have been training since the Wisconsin game and preparing for the draft. If Mo's attitude to all about the team, and possibly setting some school records, this is a very important game because it will be the last time he wears Maroon and Gold. Neither way is wrong. It would be hard to fault him if he is looking in the best interest in his career and it is very admirable that he wants to finish the season with his teammates.

I think an argument is made that Bowl games are meaningless because in the year 2000 only 40 teams made bowl games. This year 82 teams will be playing in bowl games. No one can argue that they aren't watered down.

Either way, it is what it is, and you can bet your ass I'll be excited and tuned in on Thursday afternoon when the Gophers play.

At this point, less than 2 weeks out, it is safe to say that we will not have any opt-outs at all. It will be fun to watch Mo and the gophers play, and this may very well be a lot more fun Bowl experience than we first thought. Comapre and contrast to the Purdue - LSU game in Orlando, where it may turn into a bad bad experience for Purdue........
That or we're keeping it on the down low...

Considering how injuries and such are handled it wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks for sharing - I found this interesting.

I think an argument can be made either way on whether bowl games are meaningless or not. Take Mo for example, if his attitude was to do everything he can to be in best position for the draft, this game is meaningless.

Good post.

Thing is if we're talking about players with a legitimate shot at the NFL all bowl games are meaningless. Guys have been passing on bowls, including big ones, for a few years now. NFL scouting has become so intense that they certainly don't need to see them play another game.

Me? Love watching college football. Thanks to all the kids who are playing. Probably will watch all or part of 10 games today and tomorrow. Between shoveling of course.

Though if I was a parent or an agent of player who was a lock to get an early round spot or the draft?

Not sure what advice I'd give then. Oh and forget the "he owes the guys he played with" stuff.

Coaches have been bailing on their kids before a Bowl Game for years now.

Good post.

Thing is if we're talking about players with a legitimate shot at the NFL all bowl games are meaningless. Guys have been passing on bowls, including big ones, for a few years now. NFL scouting has become so intense that they certainly don't need to see them play another game.

Me? Love watching college football. Thanks to all the kids who are playing. Probably will watch all or part of 10 games today and tomorrow. Between shoveling of course.

Though if I was a parent or an agent of player who was a lock to get an early round spot or the draft?

Not sure what advice I'd give then. Oh and forget the "he owes the guys he played with" stuff.

Coaches have been bailing on their kids before a Bowl Game for years now.
Exactly - I love Mo, he's up there on my all-time favorite Gophers list, but even part of me wants to him to focus on the draft. He's given us everything. He appears to be 100% about the team and the ultimate team player which would lead me to believe that I want him to have DT's rushing record more than he wants it.

It's just the way it is. There comes a point where people have to do what is best for them.

With that being said, I do judge players that opt out during the regular season. You joined the team. You made a commitment. I remember Kylin Hill at Mississippi State quit the team in the middle of the year to focus on the draft. Guess what happened in year two of his career with the Packers? They cut him for reasons that weren't football related.

Which records are close to being broken by Mo?

Here are the records he could reach in the game:

Career Rushing Yards:
needs 59 yards to break the record
Thompson - 4,654
Ibrahim - 4,596

Single Season Rushing Yards: needs 33 yards
1. David Cobb, 2014 1,626
2. Mohamed Ibrahim, 2022 1,594

Single Season TD - Rushing and Receiving: needs just one more
Russell - 19
Ibrahim - 19

I'm probably in the minority but I've never agreed with the idea that bowl games are meaningless. It counts on the record just like every other game on the schedule. If we consider bowl games meaningless then is the only differential between this game and our regular season game against Colorado the idea that we could make the playoff? Because if that's the case then nonconference games are meaningless for about 80% of CFB teams.
Bowl games are not meaningless. But they are not as meaningful as regular season games.

There is a vast space between 100% of the value and 0% of the value. And it’s somewhere in there.

Bowl games are not meaningless. But they are not as meaningful as regular season games.

There is a vast space between 100% of the value and 0% of the value. And it’s somewhere in there.
I can get on board with that for sure. Any big ten game means more than this one.

if you want to get existential, all human activity has some meaning.

so in that sense, no football game is "meaningless."

it gets back to a very basic principle - the value of anything is determined by how much time, or energy, or money that someone is willing to commit to it.

the bowl game has value - or meaning - for the organizers, the hosts, the people who work at the game, the TV network, certainly for the players or fans.

as fans, we give the game value or meaning by deciding whether to attend, or whether to watch it on TV.

as Descartes said, "I spectate, therefore I am."

Here are the records he could reach in the game:

Career Rushing Yards:
needs 59 yards to break the record
Thompson - 4,654
Ibrahim - 4,596

Single Season Rushing Yards: needs 33 yards
1. David Cobb, 2014 1,626
2. Mohamed Ibrahim, 2022 1,594

Single Season TD - Rushing and Receiving: needs just one more
Russell - 19
Ibrahim - 19
Seems like he should hit all 3 in the first quarter....then he will sit and eat his gushers!

Top Bottom