Entering last 3 controlling own destiny

So we beat Purdue on the road. They spanked Iowa at Kinnick. Yet we have people on this board discounting that Purdue win as "lucky".

So Iowa beats Northwestern by 5 and scores 3 points in the last 45 minutes of the game. We trounce the same team on the same field 41-14 JUST last week. Yet we have people acting like Iowa is so much better than us.

There are some seriously damaged psychologies on this board. Basically, let's only look at the Gophers' two bad performances and not give any credit for any of the wins. You can't make this stuff up

Personally, I think the team comes out fired up next week and we have a game plan that surprises everyone - including Iowa - and we bring home Floyd for the first time this millennium.

I-O-W-A is beatable for once but being at Kinnick always has some adverse affect on the Visitor's offense no matter the team playing there. Have essentially 2 days to develop/field the game plan on offense, 2-3 more days to implement it, and travel on Friday. If there's blood in the water early, not good.

Back to yesterday, whatever was the offensive game plan needs to be burned first thing this morning.

On a metaphysical plane, it is clear that Mohammed Ibrahim was this team's star-level player this year. The football gods are toying with this team just like Zeus and Hera on the chess-board of Greek myth. Following this motif, it is ironic that it was an Achilles injury that took out our own Achilles coming into this season.

Back to I-O-W-A, hope we're not intimidated by the pink Visitor's locker room...

View attachment 15172
This goes back to Hayden Fry. He was big on psychology things like this.

I agree with that. They broke their losing streak yesterday but it certainly wasn't a dominating win. I think we have a pretty fair chance at Iowa. I think our chances against Wisconsin are pretty slim.

We played poorly in three games this season (Miami (OH), Bowling Green, and Illinois). The first primarily was because of shaky defense but the defense has played well in every game since so I don't think they are a problem to worry about (especially against an offense like Iowa that is still pretty so-so). The other two were due to poor offensive games but the offense played much better after Bowling Green until yesterday.
Yeah I don’t think I’d pick the gophers to win, but if you don’t turn the ball over it could be a game like yesterday. We were dominated the whole game but if the other teams are only scoring 10-17 points you end up only being a big play or two from winning.

So we beat Purdue on the road. They spanked Iowa at Kinnick. Yet we have people on this board discounting that Purdue win as "lucky".

So Iowa beats Northwestern by 5 and scores 3 points in the last 45 minutes of the game. We trounce the same team on the same field 41-14 JUST last week. Yet we have people acting like Iowa is so much better than us.

There are some seriously damaged psychologies on this board. Basically, let's only look at the Gophers' two bad performances and not give any credit for any of the wins. You can't make this stuff up

Personally, I think the team comes out fired up next week and we have a game plan that surprises everyone - including Iowa - and we bring home Floyd for the first time this millennium.
I also think the coaches will have a better offensive gameplan this week. They won’t assume the wideouts will just win one on one battles. I think arrogance in game planning cost the gophers the Illinois and bowling green games this year.

I agree with that. They broke their losing streak yesterday but it certainly wasn't a dominating win. I think we have a pretty fair chance at Iowa.
Because they didn't look great at NW, which is for whatever reasons a team that tends to have their number?

Don't forget: Fleck is 0-4 vs Iowa and we haven't won in Iowa City since 1999.

but the defense has played well in every game since so I don't think they are a problem to worry about (especially against an offense like Iowa that is still pretty so-so). The other two were due to poor offensive games but the offense played much better after Bowling Green until yesterday.
Why wouldn't Iowa (and every team here on out, frankly) just do what BG and then Illinois did to us?

That's all you have to do. It's not like it's something that can't be done.

Illinois beat us with edge rushers that were 3* recruits.

I also think the coaches will have a better offensive gameplan this week. They won’t assume the wideouts will just win one on one battles. I think arrogance in game planning cost the gophers the Illinois and bowling green games this year.

Hoping CAB can play after what I assume was a concussion. But at least if they know he will be out all week, one would hope they can prepare for it.

Hoping CAB can play after what I assume was a concussion. But at least if they know he will be out all week, one would hope they can prepare for it.
I don’t remember what quarter he got injured yesterday but the common theme from the two worst losses of the season was once he went down we didn’t really have a wideout make a play all day.
Hopefully wideout depth is addressed in recruiting

Bateman and CAB were great and gave me hope. But this looks awful similar to a limegrover offense in the passing game right now in terms of quality wideouts.

Maybe, somehow, they'll be forced to getting Wright back to like it was vs Ohio State.

Doubt it though. Too obvious.

That's why losing to another bad team AT HOME is so disappointing.

Wright is who Tanner was targeting on the last throw, as well. But he badly overthrew the ball. Was triple covered as well, would've been a circus catch.

I don’t remember what quarter he got injured yesterday but the common theme from the two worst losses of the season was once he went down we didn’t really have a wideout make a play all day.
Hopefully wideout depth is addressed in recruiting

Bateman and CAB were great and gave me hope. But this looks awful similar to a limegrover offense in the passing game right now in terms of quality wideouts.

I trust there are talented wideouts in our young classes. Way too early to assume otherwise just because they haven't been able to usurp guys who have been in the program 3-5 years.

That's why losing to another bad team AT HOME is so disappointing.

I am not disagreeing with you on the disappointment. At all. I just think if we are going to look at the season, the 4-game win streak needs to be given equal importance. Also, the disappointment of a bad loss at home really has no bearing on the next week's game. See: Purdue victory coming off Bowling Green.

And speaking of Purdue, after they lost to us, they went to Iowa City and won.

Also just beat Michigan St.

So winning at Purdue was a massive win.

The Big Ten West .... is a mess!

I trust there are talented wideouts in our young classes. Way too early to assume otherwise just because they haven't been able to usurp guys who have been in the program 3-5 years.
Yeah I’m certainly not giving up on the program. Right now the wideout room isn’t getting it done. Partially due to the best guy being off and on injured all year.

second best guy on the edge has missed some time (Wright)

second best overall has missed some time (Jackson)

4th best guy is really better in the slot and as a number 3 (brown stephens)

maybe second biggest pass threat is a tight end who doesn’t block well so hard to get him on the field a ton (Spann Ford)

hard to generate consistency right now. Don’t think coach Sanford called plays to help them out yesterday either.

Wisconsin is 24-0 on the road better than Illinois and lost to 3 ranked teams. We lost to Bowling Green and Illinois at home.
WTF does this have to do with the fact that Gophers still control their own destiny with 3 games left?

BSF not being a bigger part of the passing game, is questionable.

It shouldn't matter that he's not Ko Keift. He isn't that, and never is going to be that.

Use him like the Vikings used Irv Smith. Who cares??

Right now it looks like weather won't be an issue next Saturday.

For this one I think this is good. Both offenses get to do what they do...or don't...without that in play.

I am not disagreeing with you on the disappointment. At all. I just think if we are going to look at the season, the 4-game win streak needs to be given equal importance. Also, the disappointment of a bad loss at home really has no bearing on the next week's game. See: Purdue victory coming off Bowling Green.
What happened to Wright? Guy showed he has the height and fight to win 50/50 balls and doesn't see the field until late in the game? Plus Morgan was again locking on to single receivers far too often.

I think the point is that you have to look at all the games - the wins and the losses. The same Gopher team that is capable of playing well and winning games is also capable of playing poorly and losing games.

We're not talking about two different teams. it's the same team. same players. same coaches. different results.

There is a word for that - it's known as "inconsistent."

It's not a case of ignoring the wins - or ignoring the losses. you have to consider all of it.

"We played bad last week, but we'll play better next week." Based on what?

at this point, I have no clue what this team is going to do on any given day.

My concern is that, in the losses, other teams have found a blueprint to attack the Gophers and expose their weaknesses. Bret Bleepin' Bielema did it on Saturday. Ferentz and Chryst will be taking that film apart. It's up to the Gopher Coaches to make changes.

This season was a complete waste of an extremely experienced O line, the best we’ve had in how long? As well as a complete waste of the best QB we’ve had in how long? One of the winningest QB’s in program history that Fleck’s hire at OC had absolutely no idea how to use or coach. Fleck’s hire at OC took a great group and regressed them to amazing lows.
It's over already? We forfeited the final 3? When the heck did this come out?

The goals for the season were not to beat BG or beat Illinois. The first goal was to win the West, which is still right there. Iowa will tell me everything I need to know. Come out and play like they did against Illinois/BG, I'll agree with comments like this.

Nobody plays 12 great games. They have 3 left. The 3 most important left. Goals still 100% within reach. Playing relevant, very relevant games in mid-late November. Hard to ask for much more than that.

Bielema played at Iowa and obviously was the coach at Wisc. He hates Minnesota

Guessing he has pretty good relationships with both Ferentz and Chryst, and will be happy to ship every single aspect of his game plans for beating us to both.

The formula for beating the gophers is simple.

stop the run, make Morgan beat you.

so far under the leadership of Mike Sanford, Morgan has gone from All B1G QB, to simply a game manager who has lost confidence

PJ is too hard headed and is sacrificing a special team bc he doesnt want to lose face that he made a blunder of a hire at OC

I think the point is that you have to look at all the games - the wins and the losses. The same Gopher team that is capable of playing well and winning games is also capable of playing poorly and losing games.

We're not talking about two different teams. it's the same team. same players. same coaches. different results.

There is a word for that - it's known as "inconsistent."

It's not a case of ignoring the wins - or ignoring the losses. you have to consider all of it.

"We played bad last week, but we'll play better next week." Based on what?

at this point, I have no clue what this team is going to do on any given day.

My concern is that, in the losses, other teams have found a blueprint to attack the Gophers and expose their weaknesses. Bret Bleepin' Bielema did it on Saturday. Ferentz and Chryst will be taking that film apart. It's up to the Gopher Coaches to make changes.

"Based on what" for me is the way we responded after the Bowling Green loss.

Guessing he has pretty good relationships with both Ferentz and Chryst, and will be happy to ship every single aspect of his game plans for beating us to both.
I think that is called "2021 Illinois at Minnesota Football in 60"...

If Iowa brings pressure will we have an answer?

They can't just watch the film?

If Iowa brings pressure will we have an answer?
Historically and this year, Iowa doesn’t blitz much. They get pressure from 4 down. It will be interesting if they change their identity for our vaunted offense.

I expect more quick passes and routes with 4 guys in the route. Iowa is going to rush 4 and play zone behind it like they have since 1998.

The formula for beating the gophers is simple.

stop the run, make Morgan beat you.
Why weren't Purdue, Nebraska, Maryland, and NW able to do that?

I think a lot of people would argue that Purdue, and probably Nebraska, are more talented than Illinois. Granted, ILL beat Neb in week 0. Lost to Purdue.

Top Bottom