MN HOUSE VOTES NO FOR ALCOHOL AT TCF...CALL YOUR HOUSE REP.

JOHN4254

Reaction score
Apparently, 133 GopherHole members have strong enough opinions on the issue of whether or not liquor should be served in the suites and club seating areas of TCF Bank Stadium to motivate to write in to this forum to express those strong opinions. I did not count, nor did I read your comments to determine the for and against vote. Instead of wasting your time writing, do something more proactive, call, e-mail, write, or smoke signal your Minnesota House of Representatives Member and give him or her your own opinion on how you want them to vote on this issue. Here is a link to the House of Representatives Journal page for Monday, May 3, 2010, containing the proposed amendment and the vote of each member on the liquor proposition:

" http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/cco/journals/2009-10/J0503095.htm

Also, here is my copy and paste of the amendment and the entire vote:

Kahn moved to amend S. F. No. 184, the second engrossment, as amended, as follows:

Page 9, after line 27, insert:

"Sec. 20. [137.66] ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP FUNDING PROGRAM.

Journal of the House - 95th Day - Monday, May 3, 2010 - Top of Page 10892

As a condition of the license under section 340A.404, subdivision 4a, paragraph (a), clause (3), the University of Minnesota shall deposit up to $500,000 of the revenue generated through the existence of this license to the athletic scholarship account within the athletic department. Such funds shall be dedicated for meritorious scholarships for men and women student-athletes attending the University of Minnesota.

EFFECTIVE DATE. This section is effective the day following final enactment."

Page 14, after line 7, insert:

"Sec. 27. Minnesota Statutes 2009 Supplement, section 340A.404, subdivision 4a, is amended to read:

Subd. 4a. Publicly owned recreation; entertainment facilities. (a) Notwithstanding any other law, local ordinance, or charter provision, the commissioner may issue on-sale intoxicating liquor licenses:

(1) to the state agency administratively responsible for, or to an entity holding a concession or facility management contract with such agency for beverage sales at, the premises of any Giants Ridge Recreation Area building or recreational improvement area owned by the state in the city of Biwabik, St. Louis County;

(2) to the state agency administratively responsible for, or to an entity holding a concession or facility management contract with such agency for beverage sales at, the premises of any Ironworld Discovery Center building or facility owned by the state at Chisholm;

(3) to the Board of Regents of the University of Minnesota for events at Northrop Auditorium, the intercollegiate football stadium, or at no more than seven other locations within the boundaries of the University of Minnesota, provided that the Board of Regents has approved an application for a license for the specified location and provided that a license for an arena or a stadium location is void unless it requires the sale or service of intoxicating liquor throughout the arena or stadium if intoxicating liquor is sold or served anywhere in the arena or stadium, and providing that the license may allow service of intoxicating liquor exclusively at club areas of arenas; and

(4) to the Duluth Entertainment and Convention Center Authority for beverage sales on the premises of the Duluth Entertainment and Convention Center Arena during intercollegiate hockey games.

The commissioner shall charge a fee for licenses issued under this subdivision in an amount comparable to the fee for comparable licenses issued in surrounding cities.

(b) No alcoholic beverage may be sold or served at TCF Bank Stadium unless the Board of Regents holds an on-sale intoxicating liquor license for the stadium as provided in paragraph (a), clause (3).

EFFECTIVE DATE. This section is effective the day following final enactment."

Renumber the sections in sequence and correct the internal references

Amend the title accordingly

A roll call was requested and properly seconded.

The question was taken on the Kahn amendment and the roll was called.

Journal of the House - 95th Day - Monday, May 3, 2010 - Top of Page 10893

Pursuant to rule 2.05, Downey was excused from voting on the Kahn amendment to S. F. No. 184, the second engrossment, as amended.

There were 18 yeas and 111 nays as follows:

Those who voted in the affirmative were:

Anderson, P.

Brod

Brynaert

Bunn

Demmer

Fritz

Greiling

Kahn

Kalin

Knuth

Laine

Loon

McNamara

Morrow

Murphy, E.

Peterson

Seifert

Thissen

Those who voted in the negative were:

Abeler

Anderson, B.

Anderson, S.

Anzelc

Atkins

Beard

Benson

Bigham

Bly

Brown

Buesgens

Carlson

Champion

Clark

Cornish

Davids

Davnie

Dean

Dettmer

Dill

Doepke

Doty

Drazkowski

Eastlund

Eken

Falk

Faust

Gardner

Gottwalt

Gunther

Hackbarth

Hamilton

Hansen

Hausman

Haws

Hayden

Hilstrom

Hilty

Holberg

Hoppe

Hornstein

Hortman

Hosch

Howes

Huntley

Jackson

Johnson

Juhnke

Kath

Kelly

Kiffmeyer

Koenen

Kohls

Lanning

Lenczewski

Lesch

Liebling

Lieder

Lillie

Loeffler

Mack

Magnus

Mahoney

Mariani

Marquart

Masin

McFarlane

Morgan

Mullery

Murdock

Murphy, M.

Nelson

Newton

Nornes

Norton

Obermueller

Olin

Otremba

Paymar

Pelowski

Peppin

Persell

Poppe

Reinert

Rosenthal

Rukavina

Ruud

Sailer

Sanders

Scalze

Scott

Sertich

Shimanski

Simon

Slawik

Slocum

Smith

Solberg

Sterner

Swails

Thao

Tillberry

Torkelson

Urdahl

Wagenius

Ward

Welti

Westrom

Winkler

Zellers

Spk. Kelliher

The motion did not prevail and the amendment was not adopted."

Now that you are armed with the names of the yeas and the nays, here is your action information for contacting your representative. Sorry, I do not have smoke signal contact information:

Members of the Minnesota House of Representatives 2009 - 2010

Note: All of the office numbers are in the State Office Building,
100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Saint Paul Minnesota 55155.

If you are uncertain who represents you please visit our district finder.

Here is the link to the names, district numbers, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and House office numbers of all of your Representatives. It is not too late for another vote. Any Representative who voted against the amendment on the first vote, may request a new vote. At the Legislature, it is never too late, and a bill is never dead until everyone has gone home. The Representatives:

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/members/housemembers.asp

Your opinion and your vote do count. Use them both, but please don't bug my representative, Phyllis Kahn, because she is the author of the amendment to allow liquor at TCF Bank Stadium.

By the way, I don't drink, I don't have a suite or club seats, and I don't even have season tickets,, so I don't have a vested interest in this issue unless someone wants to invite me to their suite for a Bailey's and ice cream.

Is it ok if I give my rep an attaboy for voting "No" and urging Bruininks and the Board of Regents to do the right thing by allowing ALL tickholders to cheer for their favorite football team at Gophers Stadium while enjoying a beer?

Is it OK if I don't give a hoot and just get tanked prior to heading into TCF Bank Stadium, thus saving myself from paying $6 for a beer and putting my years of smuggling flasks into other dry college stadiums to good use?

Is it ok if I give my rep an attaboy for voting "No" and urging Bruininks and the Board of Regents to do the right thing by allowing ALL tickholders to cheer for their favorite football team at Gophers Stadium while enjoying a beer?

No. It's not okay. And that isn't what they voted for.

Wouldn't your time spent sabotaging gopher sports be better spent coming-up with a plan that would somehow hold the U responsible for fighting the war on terror by itself too.

allowing ALL tickholders to cheer for their favorite football team at Gophers Stadium while enjoying a beer?

When will you get it through your thick skull that this will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever happen? Ever. Never ever.

When will you get it through your thick skull that this will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever happen? Ever. Never ever.

So you're saying there's NOT a chance? :eek:

I appreciate your commitment.

What if Joel Maturi decided that the whole $2 million or so that's been lost over this issue has to come 100% out of the football budget. Because of this, when he hires the next coach, he has to hire some low-level assistant because that's all he can afford. This ensures another 10 years of terrible Gopher football. Would you still be in favor of this stupid law based on 'principle'? Or would your supposed 'love' for your favorite team over-ride that? I'm sure you'll answer with some rant about how it doesn't have to be that way, but actually it does.

Contacted quite a few legislators tonight. A couple of responses I'll share:

My Representative (she gets it):

"Thanks for your kind note. We have many important decisions to make at the State legislature, but I don't think determining the alcohol policy at the University of Minnesota's stadium should be one of them. Your email prior to the vote on the subject was very helpful. ...."

Another response:

"Thanks for your e-mail. As you may know, I agree with you and have voted for the Senate language to allow the U of M Board of Regents to decide the alcohol policy for its campus facilities. I will support that position in the higher education conference committee.

Unfortunately, the overwhelming vote by the House against that proposal will make it very difficult for the House conferees to accept the Senate position and go back to their body with it in the conference report. I'm certainly not happy with that, but I understand the political realities.

I would like to at least let the U of M revert back to having the ability to sell alcohol at Williams Arena and Marriuci. However, it sounds like Rep. Rukavina is unlikely to accept any change to current law relating to this issue in the conference committee even though we recognize that the U of M could use the money for student athletic scholarships.

I'm sorry to deliver that news to you, but I don't expect to prevail on this issue.

Thanks again for your input."

DO OR SAY WHAT YOU WISH, WE STILL HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

I provided the above information for everyone, so that everyone, including you, could know how their representative voted on this issue, and know how to contact his or her representative. Members of the legislature do listen to their constituents, and do change their minds from time to time after hearing from the voters. The art of politics includes the basic ability to count noses, sometimes those noses change their votes.

I do not have a dog in this fight, but I will put forth these thoughts for consideration. The people who are buying suites, paying premium prices for club seating and other special seating are the very same people who have contributed big bucks to build TCF bank stadium. The money they spend on these special amenities contributes large amounts of money to help support the entire athletic program, minor sports included. Representative Phyllis Kahn's amendment would have contributed $500,000 for athletic scholarships for all sports at the University from the proceeds of liquor sales at the stadium. It would seem to this writer that many of today's legislators are more interested in punishing the University and its athletic programs, rather than helping to rebuild a once great University, and a once great football program. I hope people will come to their senses in the Conference Committee and do the right thing to help the athletic program, and my alma mater, the University of Minnesota.

Just My Two Cents. GO GOPHERS!

Top Bottom