Noreen and Brust and other notes

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
-For the third day in a row, Minnesota has postponed a visit with Ben Brust. It is interesting how Tubby and Bo are going about this in completely different ways. Brust is suppose to take an unofficial to Wisc later this week. MN is going to wait it out until the BT says everything is good to go but is at risk of being too late.
-MN has had coaches all around the country recently and has looked at some juco guards but so far has been disappointed.
-Former Iowa recruit Cody Larson has committed to Florida. MN had no interest in Cody. He will be a very big loss for Iowa. The Hawkeyes are looking to fill his spot with 6'9, 220 PF Melsahn Basabe, a former Siena recruit from Massachusetts.
-In a suprising move, Tubby showed up at Transitions to watch and meet with Kevin Noreen now that he has been officially released from his BC LOI. MN. has always been somewhat lukewarm on Noreen and didn't recruit him very hard before his commitment. Not sure how Oto and Noreen would fit together, but it would be possible that it would allow Oto to redshirt as Noreen is a better post player and rebounder and more ready to play immediately. It also would give us a four recruits 6'9 or bigger. All speculation right now as its unclear how serious Tubby is but worth talking about.
-Keep hearing that MN will sign 6 this year so the small window for Royce to return is closing fast and he better act quick or else his spot will be gone.
-Pump N Run is hosting an AAU tournament this weekend in bloomington.

thats all i can think about for now, got to get to work.

If we swing a miss with Cory and Brust, would we waste an offer on an average guard. Devoe is capable of playing point for two years if needed, but obviously depth is an issue starting in 2011. Perhaps bank a scholly or two for 2011 jucos or freshman?

Thanks as always Johnny. Not sure that I'm encouraged about Oto's prospects when I hear Noreen is more ready to play immediately.

Will say this, though, Al Skinner has been good at identifying diamonds in the rough (Craig Smith, Jared Dudley, Reggie Jackson). Maybe if he comes here Noreen will be along those lines.

If we don't get Cory, hope we don't just sign a warm body for the PG position. Ride it out with Devoe, Justin (assuming he stays) & Al (assuming he's eligible), save the scholly for a better PG in the future. I think Al and Devoe could be a nice starting guard combination, especially after the experience Devoe gained in Al's absence. Justin a solid third guard, too.

Risky, yes, considering Justin & Al's current situations, but I'd prefer we not settle. The name Limar Wilson comes to mind.

Keep hearing that MN will sign 6 this year so the small window for Royce to return is closing fast and he better act quick or else his spot will be gone.

Isn't Royce already toast with the Oto signing? We only have four open scholarships (DJ, Westbrook, Bostick, Carter). All four have been filled (Oto, Mo, Eliason, Hollins). Royce's scholarship will go to Cory or to someone else we might sign, so I'm assuming Royce is not coming back at all. And, if we sign six, does that mean Cobbs is considered gone then? Where would that sixth open schollie come from? Am I missing something?

My theory is Royce might be waiting for Cory to decide and tubby is waiting on Cory for Royce too. If Cory signs it is likely Cobbs would transfer and open a spot for Royce. If Cory signs elsewhere Cobbs stays and Royce takes Cory's scholly. But they can't give Royce the last open scholly before Cory decides, thatd be Just plain dumb since if Cory then wants to play here we are out of scholarships. Same with Noreen. Gophers can't offer anyone new until they know for certain where Cory is going. While I doubt Royce will come back, there is no way it is even talked about until Cory decides as that last scholly is going to Cory before Royce or Kevin Noreen.

My theory is Royce might be waiting for Cory to decide and tubby is waiting on Cory for Royce too. If Cory signs it is likely Cobbs would transfer and open a spot for Royce. If Cory signs elsewhere Cobbs stays and Royce takes Cory's scholly. But they can't give Royce the last open scholly before Cory decides, thatd be Just plain dumb since if Cory then wants to play here we are out of scholarships. Same with Noreen. Gophers can't offer anyone new until they know for certain where Cory is going. While I doubt Royce will come back, there is no way it is even talked about until Cory decides as that last scholly is going to Cory before Royce or Kevin Noreen.

This has been my theory all along as well. Maybe I'm an idiot for even holding out any hope that Royce could return.

Look at this: (probably the most linked and useful tool in GH history- thanks Robb) http://robb.dominodeveloper.net/members/robb/gopherroster.nsf/luHTMLOutput/mbb

We have one currently open. If Joseph signs (which he will :) ) then we are at zero. But if he signs you can bet that Cobbs says adios. Thus there would be one open for White anyway if he is of the mind to pursue it.

BTW - that is no knock on Cobbs, I hope he stays if CJ does not come (unlikely). I would be willing to bet Cobbs is better than any replacement PG we can find out there this spring.

Thanks as always Johnny. Not sure that I'm encouraged about Oto's prospects when I hear Noreen is more ready to play immediately.

Will say this, though, Al Skinner has been good at identifying diamonds in the rough (Craig Smith, Jared Dudley, Reggie Jackson). Maybe if he comes here Noreen will be along those lines.

If we don't get Cory, hope we don't just sign a warm body for the PG position. Ride it out with Devoe, Justin (assuming he stays) & Al (assuming he's eligible), save the scholly for a better PG in the future. I think Al and Devoe could be a nice starting guard combination, especially after the experience Devoe gained in Al's absence. Justin a solid third guard, too.

Risky, yes, considering Justin & Al's current situations, but I'd prefer we not settle. The name Limar Wilson comes to mind.

Thought the same thing. However i think Tubby would wait to sign possibly Estan Tyler next year. I came away very impressed with Tyler after watching him in the state tournament this past year.

Not sure how Oto and Noreen would fit together, but it would be possible that it would allow Oto to redshirt as Noreen is a better post player and rebounder and more ready to play immediately.

OMG, really?

Isn't Royce already toast with the Oto signing? We only have four open scholarships (DJ, Westbrook, Bostick, Carter). All four have been filled (Oto, Mo, Eliason, Hollins). Royce's scholarship will go to Cory or to someone else we might sign, so I'm assuming Royce is not coming back at all. And, if we sign six, does that mean Cobbs is considered gone then? Where would that sixth open schollie come from? Am I missing something?

Could be speculation that Nolen won't be back. Not sure though, so I don't want to put words in his mouth.

Maybe Nolen wouldn't be welcome back.

Admittedly I am probably saltier than most, but I don't think I would want him back.

The man commited to playing basketball in exchange for a free education. If you can't be eligible to play basketball, should you still be getting a free education? I am in the camp that says NO. That is just me though.

I have no problem with Al earning his way back on the team by improving his grades, but I think it's dangerous for anyone to assume everything will be hunky dory for a kid that was academically ineligible his previous semester. That's making a big assumption, in my opinion. I'm assuming we won't have the services of Al (or Trevor), until proven otherwise. If we have either or both for 2010-11, that will be a bonus I wasn't expecting.

Admittedly I am probably saltier than most, but I don't think I would want him back.

The man commited to playing basketball in exchange for a free education. If you can't be eligible to play basketball, should you still be getting a free education? I am in the camp that says NO. That is just me though.

I understand what you mean and I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think that would send a comforting message to recruits. I know you could just say, "Well just stay eligible then," but most D1 athletes aren't 4.0 students. If Tubby essentially kicks a player off of the team for not being eligible for a semester that might scare off some recruits. If we have a chance at a really good player that got maybe a 2.5 in high school, that might be enough to scare them away from ever even considering us.

I can feel the self-righteous people's heads exploding already, but don't forget the is a basketball team and a business. They're on athletic scholarships, not academic scholarships (not that acedemics aren't important, but you can't honestly expect every single basketball prospect to have a 3.0 or higher, it's just not the reality).

From what I've heard, Al's academic struggles this year were due at least in part to some family issues he was dealing with. I have no details on what those issues were, but I had heard that there was an attempt made to appeal his eligibility status because of those issues. Perhaps someone who knows more details about his situation can back this up for me. But I don't think you just throw a guy like Al Nolen under the bus for having a tough semester.

I would really rather sign quality, homegrown prospects than throwing a scholarship to the wind on a JUCO guard. Sign Noreen and Oto, RS Oto, sign Estan Tyler next year with Al's scholarship. This is all assuming Cory does not sign and Cobbs stays, of course.

From what I've heard, Al's academic struggles this year were due at least in part to some family issues he was dealing with. I have no details on what those issues were, but I had heard that there was an attempt made to appeal his eligibility status because of those issues. Perhaps someone who knows more details about his situation can back this up for me. But I don't think you just throw a guy like Al Nolen under the bus for having a tough semester.

Yes - the university asked for a progress towards degree waiver based on those 'mitigating circumstances', but the NCAA told them to get bent.

There are about a million schools looking at Noreen now. That gym is going to be a madhouse... and with a certain visitor today, will smell of tanning lotion and snake oil.

bga

Look at this: (probably the most linked and useful tool in GH history- thanks Robb) http://robb.dominodeveloper.net/members/robb/gopherroster.nsf/luHTMLOutput/mbb

We have one currently open. If Joseph signs (which he will :) ) then we are at zero. But if he signs you can bet that Cobbs says adios. Thus there would be one open for White anyway if he is of the mind to pursue it.

BTW - that is no knock on Cobbs, I hope he stays if CJ does not come (unlikely). I would be willing to bet Cobbs is better than any replacement PG we can find out there this spring.

+1

I agree.

I have hopes that Justin stays here no matter what Cory does. I like him and think we are far better off with him than any juco if it were to come to that.

That gym is going to be a madhouse... and with a certain visitor today, will smell of tanning lotion and snake oil.

Lol. Crean?

Will NW really want Noreen? HE WENT TO MN TRANSITIONS! I thought they only took STUDENT athletes?

Is it just me or does it seem like Brust has kind of an awkward release?

Will NW really want Noreen? HE WENT TO MN TRANSITIONS! I thought they only took STUDENT athletes?

Is Northwestern recruiting him? If you're referring to the above-mentioned visit by Tom Crean, he's at Indiana, not Northwestern.

Will sign 6? Does that mean Cobbs is for sure transferring? I hope we don't settle for someone just because we have a scholarship open.

-For the third day in a row, Minnesota has postponed a visit with Ben Brust. It is interesting how Tubby and Bo are going about this in completely different ways. Brust is suppose to take an unofficial to Wisc later this week. MN is going to wait it out until the BT says everything is good to go but is at risk of being too late.
-MN has had coaches all around the country recently and has looked at some juco guards but so far has been disappointed.
-Former Iowa recruit Cody Larson has committed to Florida. MN had no interest in Cody. He will be a very big loss for Iowa. The Hawkeyes are looking to fill his spot with 6'9, 220 PF Melsahn Basabe, a former Siena recruit from Massachusetts.
-In a suprising move, Tubby showed up at Transitions to watch and meet with Kevin Noreen now that he has been officially released from his BC LOI. MN. has always been somewhat lukewarm on Noreen and didn't recruit him very hard before his commitment. Not sure how Oto and Noreen would fit together, but it would be possible that it would allow Oto to redshirt as Noreen is a better post player and rebounder and more ready to play immediately. It also would give us a four recruits 6'9 or bigger. All speculation right now as its unclear how serious Tubby is but worth talking about.
-Keep hearing that MN will sign 6 this year so the small window for Royce to return is closing fast and he better act quick or else his spot will be gone.
-Pump N Run is hosting an AAU tournament this weekend in bloomington.

thats all i can think about for now, got to get to work.

there is no way Oto redshirts, sorry. He's an old freshman to begin with, Tubby commented today how his game was mature and Tubby won't RS two bigs. Come on.

big day today over at transitions, try to remember my voice mail of all the schools that we're there, Texas, Cal, USC, Oklahoma, Providence, Washington St, Marquette, Indiana(crean as mentioned above), Texas A&M. Northwestern was supposed to be there but coach was stuck in Europe due to volcano.

Noreen will take an official visit to Marquette this weekend.

If MN is serious about Noreen, they have alot of ground to make up as there are some bitter feelings from the lack or attention given before his BC commitment.

Most of those coaches are going to either Chaska or Waconia tonight.

big day today over at transitions, try to remember my voice mail of all the schools that we're there, Texas, Cal, USC, Oklahoma, Providence, Washington St, Marquette, Indiana(crean as mentioned above), Texas A&M. Northwestern was supposed to be there but coach was stuck in Europe due to volcano.

If MN is serious about Noreen, they have alot of ground to make up as there are some bitter feelings from the lack or attention given before his BC commitment.

Wow, that is a lot of attention from respectable programs... Good luck to him, I would like to see him as Gopher if Tubby thinks he would fit, but sounds like he will land on his feet no matter what. Best Wishes for the 2010 Minnesota Mr. Basketball.

Understood, but were all of these other schools giving him much attention when he committed to BC? i doubt it. They're in the same place as the Gophers (albeit, he is in our own back yard) - Noreen has become a priority for them for the same reasons as the Gophers - they too have scholarships that have opened up for whatever reasons and only because of that, and the lack of other options, are they now coming after him

Top Bottom