STrib Letter to Editors on Gophers "end racism" uniforms

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib Letters to the Editor:

During the recent Gopher-Purdue football game I was surprised to see that a panel stating "end racism" was placed over players' names on the back of their jerseys (Sports, Nov. 21). It got me thinking about teaching moments. This teaching moment should be about the difference between good intentions and appropriateness.

Our athletic uniforms shouldn't be billboards for social issues — it's highly inappropriate. It's fine for athletes and coaches to talk about their views on things, just not when they're on the job. It should be the role of the administration to provide appropriate guidance.

CHARLES WANOUS, MINNEAPOLIS

• • •

I'm sure taxpayers, season-ticket holders, donors and people who buy Gopher apparel were thrilled with the new Gopher uniforms. People want to watch football, not the political opinion of 19- and 20-year-olds who get free rides to college. Those uniforms worn during the Gopher-Purdue game were an embarrassment. Interest in the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL has diminished because of political issues. This will also trickle down to college sports. The stands are empty now, because of COVID, but this kind of stunt will keep them empty in the future.

RON DEMING, FRANKLIN, MINN.

Go Gophers!!

Oh oh, I can see where this is going to go. I do find it interesting that the Strib published only 2 letters, and both were like that (I bet many wrote in that liked them but they neglected to report them). Hmmm...I can't remember if they do objective journalism over there. Oh, wait that's right, there is no such thing as objective journalism.

Gosh I miss those days when the news would just report the news, and the journalists would actually report big stories regardless of sides. Sigh.

Anyway I'll go grab the popcorn for the back and forth on this thread so I will be entertained and not miss anything. 🍿🍿🍿

I think it's important to remember in this age, people with the most extreme voices often get media coverage.

Media coverage of extremes shouldn't be taken an mainstreet opinions.
Neither should the opposing voices.
Somewhere in between where logical humans think and act is still normal. But that's boring for the media to cover.

I personally do not find the uniforms either offensive or "highly inappropriate" but I do find a Trump flag flying next to the American flag both. Different strokes for different folks but sports attendance is going to be just fine after Covid.

I personally do not find the uniforms either offensive or "highly inappropriate" but I do find a Trump flag flying next to the American flag both. Different strokes for different folks but sports attendance is going to be just fine after Covid.

No one would dare put a Trump flag on a University of Minnesota uniform, that's the difference.

My question to these a**hats: when did ending racism become political? They dont say MAGA nor have a sickle and hammer. This is not a political statement.

I believe it's clearly political given the context. This is like saying "do people who not like Trump really not want America to be great".

The people who hate MAGA are not really against America improving.
The people who are against BLM don't think African American lives are inconsequential.

I believe it's clearly political given the context. This is like saying "do people who not like Trump really not want America to be great".

The people who are against BLM don't think African American lives are inconsequential.
So what's the difference? It's up to each person if they want to attach these very basic, general ideas to be politically charged or intended for a certain side? Give me a break.

Maybe it wasnt until Covid that athletes had this opportunity to do this. If you're against racism, then these nametags should be welcomed!

So what's the difference? It's up to each person if they want to attach these very basic, general ideas to be politically charged or intended for a certain side? Give me a break.

Maybe it wasnt until Covid that athletes had this opportunity to do this. If you're against racism, then these nametags should be welcomed!

There isn't a difference. They are all political slogans that shouldn't be on uniforms (IMO).

It wasn't until this year that athletes had the opportunity to be hyperpolitical, however, in a free society people also have the freedom to react. I'm all for athletes having the freedom to say whatever they'd like, but that does come with ramifications. Maybe people will like it and it will be great for their business. Maybe people won't like it and the opportunity to give their opinion is worth more than whatever they lost in the process. That's up to them.

Lastly, you're not going to guilt me into supporting your politics. You can pretend it wasn't a political statement but to me it clearly was. We are talking about an extremely complex issue that is nearly impossible to even define. This is classic political speech. You take a really complicated idea (terrorism, racism, etc.) and you create a political mantra (Patriot Act, Black Lives Matter, etc.) and then try to guilt people into adhering to your politics. "What, you don't support the Patriot Act? Do you like terrorism?" It's silly and stupid and you'd be best served to just admit you see that's what a statement like "End Racism" is getting it.

There isn't a difference. They are all political slogans that shouldn't be on uniforms (IMO).

It wasn't until this year that athletes had the opportunity to be hyperpolitical, however, in a free society people also have the freedom to react. I'm all for athletes having the freedom to say whatever they'd like, but that does come with ramifications. Maybe people will like it and it will be great for their business. Maybe people won't like it and the opportunity to give their opinion is worth more than whatever they lost in the process. That's up to them.

Lastly, you're not going to guilt me into supporting your politics. You can pretend it wasn't a political statement but to me it clearly was. We are talking about an extremely complex issue that is nearly impossible to even define. This is classic political speech. You take a really complicated idea (terrorism, racism, etc.) and you create a political mantra (Patriot Act, Black Lives Matter, etc.) and then try to guilt people into adhering to your politics. "What, you don't support the Patriot Act? Do you like terrorism?" It's silly and stupid and you'd be best served to just admit you see that's what a statement like "End Racism" is getting it.

My dude... Jackie Robinson? Muhammed Ali? Tommie Smith? Bill Walton? Carlos Delgado? Tim Thomas? Hoodies up?

Athletes, just like all other people, have political opinions, and they always have. Sometimes they express them openly. The only difference is that somewhere along the line you decided to start getting offended by them.

I would just keep in mind that people said the exact same thing you're saying now about all of those people. At one point, Jackie playing in the MLB was considered a "political statement".

There’s a huge difference here. MAGA is literally a political campaign slogan. The uniforms didn’t say “Black Lives Matter” they said End Racism. Those are both terrible examples.

People mad at this statement deny there is an issue.

There’s a huge difference here. MAGA is literally a political campaign slogan. The uniforms didn’t say “Black Lives Matter” they said End Racism. Those are both terrible examples.

People mad at this statement deny there is an issue.

Not mad and they don't disagree there are issues, but who gets to choose the issues. How about choosing a topic near and dear to this program like End Rape?

Earlier this year I remember Coney Durr speaking about the HERE program that the Gopher players started. It stands for "Helping End Racism through Education." Seems clear that the message on the back of the uniforms was generated out of this and is supported by the players and if the players are wanting this, that's great. They're part of the generation that is inheriting the mess and hopefully will deal with it better.

I'm going to pay a hell of a lot more attention to what a young black man is telling me about racism than to some guy being dismissive or defensive based on his life as a white guy. Pretty sure I could go to the off-topic forum of GH and find some garbage being spouted by that white guy that might be seen as racist.

It is simply a matter of Free Speech.
The idiots have the right to voice their opinions as do the most intelligent among us.
However neither group has the right to have their opinions published in a privately owned newspaper.
The paper needs clicks to show advertisers and what better way to stir the pot then by publishing such letters.

Insecure white people (typically men) will always feel uncomfortable being faced with topics regarding racism that exists in our society. We need to have these conversations everywhere and in no way did the seeing of this nameplate impact this viewer's experience other than in their own insecurity

Ron, really insightful message buddy. I am sure he encounters no racism in FRANKLIN Minnesota population 500 lol....

Insecure white people (typically men) will always feel uncomfortable being faced with topics regarding racism that exists in our society. We need to have these conversations everywhere and in no way did the seeing of this nameplate impact this viewer's experience other than in their own insecurity

1606736845746.png

I think it's important to remember in this age, people with the most extreme voices often get media coverage.

Media coverage of extremes shouldn't be taken an mainstreet opinions.
Neither should the opposing voices.
Somewhere in between where logical humans think and act is still normal. But that's boring for the media to cover.
Bolded: 1000% correct and true.

People who say things like "I think both sides have some good points, and a middle ground can often be found if both sides come to the table with a reasonable, tempered argument and expectations".

That type of opinion doesn't sell s___.

In this day and age part of the problem from my point of view many people are sick of everything being political. It's in your face all the time they just want to enjoy a sporting event without having to see the problems in our society.

In this day and age part of the problem from my point of view many people are sick of everything being political. It's in your face all the time they just want to enjoy a sporting event without having to see the problems in our society.
I also have some sympathy for this sentiment. Activists want everyone to be activists. If you're not actively with us fighting against this injustice, then you're passively propagating it on.

Not everyone wants to do a marathon, even if they can agree to clap for and cheer on those who do.

Bolded: 1000% correct and true.

People who say things like "I think both sides have some good points, and a middle ground can often be found if both sides come to the table with a reasonable, tempered argument and expectations".

That type of opinion doesn't sell s___.
We have had our issues...but this statement you make is right on the money! Thanks!

Top Bottom