Bateman opts out

It makes sense. Maybe he will go home and spend time with relatives for the Holidays, and then gets ready for the NFL draft. Good luck!
This may be one of the big reasons he's calling it in for the season. I don't know what sort of bubble the players are living in these days. It's gotta be restrictive though. Now, he can roll as he wants.

This may be one of the big reasons he's calling it in for the season. I don't know what sort of bubble the players are living in these days. It's gotta be restrictive though. Now, he can roll as he wants.

Or he might feel safer there.

The B1G season that never should have been. Started a sham. Is currently a sham. Will end a sham.

Makes total sense. The NW game is unlikely to be played....and the season ending game against Nebraska is even a question.

He opted out due to covid....this seems like the obvious time to break off. He came back and gave us all a few more games to watch him shine in maroon and gold. He got to go out with a win on the home turf in his final game.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he knows the gophers aren’t playing until at least Dec 12
This signals to me that the season is effectively over.

Bad break on timing means that Wisc, NW, and Nebraska will be cancelled. If crossover can be worked out to be against Wisc, then I think the team will vote to play it. But otherwise, Fleck will get what he originally wanted for this season to be cancelled altogether.

The B1G season that never should have been. Started a sham. Is currently a sham. Will end a sham.
We'll get NW vs OSU champ game, OSU will win as is preordained, and OSU will go to the CFP.

TV money dictates it.

His main reason for opting out in August was COVID concerns. When it looked like everything was safe with relatively flat Midwest case numbers and a good testing plan, it was acceptable. The situation in the locker room is no longer safe. If he were to contract symptomatic COVID and have lasting effects, it could significantly impact his training and/or draft clearance.
I believe he said that he did contract covid this summer. Maybe that was something I made up during a fever dream.

This signals to me that the season is effectively over.

Bad break on timing means that Wisc, NW, and Nebraska will be cancelled. If crossover can be worked out to be against Wisc, then I think the team will vote to play it. But otherwise, Fleck will get what he originally wanted for this season to be cancelled altogether.

The Nebraska game could still be played possibly.

What a shame - another Gopher All-American who does not complete his junior year. Since he had Covid earlier, he could neither catch it nor pass it on, with just two or three games left. Possibly the Gophers will not play Northwestern, either.

What a shame - another Gopher All-American who does not complete his junior year. Since he had Covid earlier, he could neither catch it nor pass it on, with just two or three games left. Possibly the Gophers will not play Northwestern, either.

We’re not contending for anything this season, and he’s one injury away from cratering his professional prospects. Look around the country. Ja’Marr Chase, the #1 WR prospect in the country opted out of the entire season for LSU. I’m grateful that Rashod came in and provided the leadership he did this season. He’s making the right decision for himself, and I’m excited to see him represent Minnesota in the NFL.

Retire the number "0" for jerseys. For good.

Really enjoyed both #13 and #0 during his tenure. As a Georgia native myself he showed that latitude is a state of mind.

Maybe he'll end up with Tampa Bay too...THAT would be interesting.

They got some TV money, these programs aren't free. It is what it is.

Was listening to WCCO this morning. (yeah, I'm old.)

Mike Max and Dave Lee were talking about Bateman. Mike Max said, among other things, that
what they were trying to do wasn't working.

A quote: "There had been promises made that were going to be tough to keep. They weren't winning and they kept trying to get him the ball."

Max is suggesting that the Gophers promised Bateman that he would be featured in the offense to elevate his draft status. That, essentially, they were force-feeding the ball to Bateman as the expense of other facets of the offense including Autman-Bell.

Not saying I agree, but I do think it is curious that they moved Bateman into the slot. going into the season, I expected Autman-Bell in the slot with Bateman at wideout. I don't know who made the decision to move Bateman into the slot, or why. but I don't think it necessarily helped the team.

Was listening to WCCO this morning. (yeah, I'm old.)

Mike Max and Dave Lee were talking about Bateman. Mike Max said, among other things, that
what they were trying to do wasn't working.

A quote: "There had been promises made that were going to be tough to keep. They weren't winning and they kept trying to get him the ball."

Max is suggesting that the Gophers promised Bateman that he would be featured in the offense to elevate his draft status. That, essentially, they were force-feeding the ball to Bateman as the expense of other facets of the offense including Autman-Bell.

Not saying I agree, but I do think it is curious that they moved Bateman into the slot. going into the season, I expected Autman-Bell in the slot with Bateman at wideout. I don't know who made the decision to move Bateman into the slot, or why. but I don't think it necessarily helped the team.
Obviously this is all wild speculation:

Wonder if Bateman and his management crew actually demanded he be put in the slot, because they think that will be his position in the NFL?

Tanner locking in on Bateman and forcing the ball to him, because he was told that Bateman is option 1, 2, and 3 on every passing play?

(Of course, I'm happy to go along with the idea that both are just Sanford F'ing things up)

Obviously this is all wild speculation:

Wonder if Bateman and his management crew actually demanded he be put in the slot, because they think that will be his position in the NFL?

Tanner locking in on Bateman and forcing the ball to him, because he was told that Bateman is option 1, 2, and 3 on every passing play?

(Of course, I'm happy to go along with the idea that both are just Sanford F'ing things up)
LOL

Opting out when you might only play one more game 3 weeks from now is no different than opting out of a bowl game. I don't blame him.
Spot on

especially when we don’t even know if there’ll be another game

and we don’t even know if the big ten will play bowl games outside the playoff

Good, you're welcome for the take you wouldn't get anywhere else.

That's exactly what a message board should be: fans throwing out things. Reject them if you don't like them, agree with if you do, or don't respond to them at all.

A message board should never be just people sharing links to official news. I can just go to Google News or the STrib for that.

Good, you're welcome for the take you wouldn't get anywhere else.

That's exactly what a message board should be: fans throwing out things. Reject them if you don't like them, agree with if you do, or don't respond to them at all.

A message board should never be just people sharing links to official news. I can just go to Google News or the STrib for that.
For sure

Wildgoose from the badgers has now opted out

I have to say that it bugs me that Bateman is opting out for the 2nd time. I understand the uniqueness of the situation, but it seems selfish that because things aren't going as expected for Bateman or the team he is jumping out of the canoe to take care of himself. I don't think that is the culture that Fleck talks about.

I have to say that it bugs me that Bateman is opting out for the 2nd time. I understand the uniqueness of the situation, but it seems selfish that because things aren't going as expected for Bateman or the team he is jumping out of the canoe to take care of himself. I don't think that is the culture that Fleck talks about.
I hope you think the same thing about players all over the country doing the same thing

I’d rather him stay. I’d rather someone I know stay. I think that’s just the “right” thing to do. But we don’t even know if the team is playing a game in the next 3 weeks. He is locked out of workout facilities for December (because program is shut down) and the combine is 150 days away.

Wildgoose opted out for Wisconsin today. I wouldn’t worry too much about anything that happens this year reflecting much on anything other than this year. On the field or off. It’s an odd time.

Umm, what are you talking about exactly? None of the bolded is actually true. They thought that *might* be the case months ago, but there have been plenty of noted cases of people getting COVID a 2nd time.

In Colorado, we went for tests two weeks ago and the PCP who called to discuss the process with my fiancee (who herself already had COVID in March), said that in just the past 48 hours they had seen two positives for people who previously had it in April.

Bottom line, there is a ton they still don't know about this virus. Given that and that Minnesota is currently #2 in the nation for infections, it just adds more logic behind Rashod's decision to bow out

Assuming from your monicker we might be in the same age group so I get where you're coming from. But it's just not the virus. I'm not sure when, but there was a shift from the idea of total loyalty to a school. Look at high school sports. Many kids ditch their high school teams to go elsewhere if it gets them more exposure or better training. Heck, hockey players go the junior route instead of playing for good old Grand Rapids like in the olden days.

The NCAA, more and more, is being forced to lessen restrictions on transferring as players want to go elsewhere if they see a better fit. College coaches and pros generally don't have any real loyalty; they go to the team that pays them the most; or has the better chance at winning; or has the better climate, etc. So you can't be put off by players "jumping out of the canoe," It's just a different time.

Umm, what are you talking about exactly? None of the bolded is actually true. They thought that *might* be the case months ago, but there have been plenty of noted cases of people getting COVID a 2nd time.

In Colorado, we went for tests two weeks ago and the PCP who called to discuss the process with my fiancee (who herself already had COVID in March), said that in just the past 48 hours they had seen two positives for people who previously had it in April.

Bottom line, there is a ton they still don't know about this virus. Given that and that Minnesota is currently #2 in the nation for infections, it just adds more logic behind Rashod's decision to bow out
We've never had a virus that has infected this many people receive so much scrutiny.

The 2nd infection this is way overblown. Talking a very low percentage of people who will have that happen. Like, single digits number of cases out of 9 figures number of humans infected (most of which never report it because they don't know).

Wouldn't be surprised if some such percentage of people get a virus twice, for all viruses. Everything is a spectrum, it's almost never binary.

That said, is that a valid excuse for why Bateman shouldn't opt out again? No, of course not. Injury risk alone vs what can be achieved this season, is plenty good enough reason. We can't win the conference, now, it will likely be the case. So there you go. Start training for the NFL. I agree with the decision.

Top Bottom