Did Tubby Get Out Coached Today?

UofM Fan

Reaction score
I love Tubby as much as everyone else but it looked like he got out coached today. I just can't come up with any other explanation for why we continued to take outside shots and let the point of their 1-3-1 trap us 35 ft from the basket. I get it that it is a tough D to play against but we did nothing in the entire game to assert our size and athletic advantage. One of the most disappointing games I've watched in awhile.

Also, I am starting to question Al Nolen as a leader of our team. He played alright on the defensive end today but this was the second game in a row where he had way more turnovers than assists. It's tough to tell from watching on TV but I thought his body language look very poor today. Didn't seemed to have his head in it. Really hope he turns it around as we need to have him playing well to win against tough Big Ten Teams.

I don't think it was a case where Tubby got out-coached. The guys just didn't execute. I mean it isn't like we didn't know that they were going to use a 1-3-1...that's what they do. Our guys simply didn't make the extra pass or take smart shots against the zone.

I saw at least three or four different occasions where guys didn't make the extra pass when other guys had better looks when we did break down the zone. It just happens sometimes.

So no, I don't think that Tubby was outcoached. We simply played an atrocious game today :mad:

For once, yes I do think he did. Everyone has off games, even the greatest coaches. We just didn't look prepared for the trap. We made the same mistakes over-and-over-and-over.

For once, yes I do think he did. Everyone has off games, even the greatest coaches. We just didn't look prepared for the trap. We made the same mistakes over-and-over-and-over.

Yeah, like Al Nolen dribbling INTO traps..unreal.

I don't know if he got out-coached, but I think we should have gone to zone for some of the 2nd half when they were on their huge run. Maybe a 3-2 zone to limit their outside presence (even though they pretty much dominated our inside guys when Iverson and Sampson were out). But besides that we lost because of turnovers, our putrid shooting, and every time there was a loose ball after a missed shot it somehow found it's way into a NW player's hands for a fastbreak.

Did our players not execute or did our coaches not prepare well enough? Probably some of both and mainly Northwestern played extremely well.

1-3-1 zone trap

They had 1 day preparation for that defense. Obviously not enough time for it to sink in with the players. I don't think it was Coach Smith making adjustments. He's seen enough 1-3-1 zone traps in his lifetime. It boils down the players; in this case primarily Nolan. The Gophers did a lazy job of getting into position and Nolan and in some cases Joseph they "walked" the ball into the trap 35 ft from the basket. You make that pass to the wing as soon as you see it coming and work you offense from that; either throwing over the top to the other side, or an entry pass into the post.
Northwestern runs it well,but if you make crisp passes you can get a lot of open shots and not all necessiarly three pointers

16-2

simply mental fatigue. Look for Purdue to get more than they can handle Thursday.

Coaches And Players Never Did Adjust To 2nd Half Defense

NWU played well but Gophers didn't adjust. Settled for too many 22 footers that weren't going in.

I only watched a small portion of the game, but it seemed to me the Gophers put a little to much air in their bubble and it got popped. I have heard it said that sometimes coaches are all right with losses because it gives them opportunity to work on things the team is doing wrong, like shooting reckless 3s instead of working the play a little or at least giving your players a chance to get set. In the few minutes I watched, there was a few of those.

With in his system, Bill Carmody is a genius. He is the best at coaching that tricky Princeton offense. As for the 1-3-1 alot of teams have trouble with that, not just Minnesota. I think it mainly has to do with almost never seeing it. 2 teams in the Big Ten regularly NW and Michigan, Michigan will flip into a man defense quite often. I think it is really difficult for the other coaches to plan and install a offense that beats the 1-3-1. I believe Ohio State runs a 2-3 zone but I could be wrong, really not sure on Penn State. So working backwards that 8 teams running a man, 2 running 1-3-1 zone and 1 running a 2-3. Logically, coaches spend most of there time on man on man offense. And the reason they don't have to spend as much time working on a 2-3 offense is that if players face a zone defense at younger ages, as soon as it is allowed up though high school, 97 times out of 100 it will be a 2-3 zone, so they know what to expect going in.

Overall Carmody is just a really good coach within his system. Outside of that or recuiting-not so much.

Yeah, Carmody is a very good coach. With the talent he has, its amazing that they're competitive in the Big Ten. They are woefully short of athletes when compared to the rest of the league. But they play their system well and kind of scrap away at you.

I don't think they'll be nearly as good on the road though. They simply don't have the depth and when teams adjust to that 1-3-1, they're sunk. But, they certainly are a pain in that gym of theirs.

Yes. Minnesota was beating Northwestern in the man-to-man because we had more athleticism and our big guys > their big guys. Carmody made the adjustment to a 1-3-1 and Minnesota didn't have an answer. Our players didn't execute but part of that blame goes on the coaches because players kept making the same mistakes and they were coachable mistakes. I would expect much better execution the next time we play NU because the errors we made against the 1-3-1 can be corrected.

To the people saying we had short preparation, there was nothing unusual about the length of time between games. Historically the Big Ten played on Saturday & Wednesday which means you had either 3 or 4 days between games. Now that they are mixing it up and adding T, Th & Sun as game days they are still ensuring 3-4 days between games. When you're in the NCAA tournament you play Th/Sat or Fri/Sun so this is ample amount of time. Besides, the players have all seen a 1-3-1 zone at some point in their career so it isn't like it is some exotic defense that needs a ton of extra practice time. The first time I saw a 1-3-1 was in 9th grade and our coach called a timeout and drew on a whiteboard how to play offense against it. The mistakes they were making were all coachable (don't dribble in to a trap, don't pick up your dribble, throw in passing lanes instead of trying to throw over defenders, get the ball to the high post and rotate it back out to the baseline wing).

Yes, Tubby got outcoached within this game. It happens to everyone (and it tends to happen more frequently with young point guards :) ). Carmody made adjustments that beat what we were doing and the Gophers kept making the same mistakes. However, Tubby can and will fix the mistakes his players made.

>>Did our players not execute or did our coaches not prepare well enough?<<

I'm not sure whose fault it was, but we looked like a Monson-coached team today.

Why, Yes. Yes He Was

This was evident by about 3 minutes into the 2nd half. We had no answers for Carmody's defense. This is the first real chink in Tubby's armor, IMO.

I'll forgive, but I don't believe I'll forget. This needs to improve dramatically by our next meeting. In fact, it was so bad that other teams would be foolish not to give us this look themselves.
We had such poor looks and made so few FG's in the half, that we never got to establish our press or assert our will on NW. They asserted theirs on us. No answer! Just brutal coaching.

There's nothing new about the 1-3-1. It's almost older than I am! Northwestern wanted this game more than our guys and it showed. Remember, Tubby caught the only high pass that came his way! With the "point" guards not playing well today, it took the other guys out of their roles. Not many of the guys helped by moving to meet a pass, either. I'd guess from their youthfulness that Wisconsin was still lingering in their young minds. Put this one behind us and let's look forward to the next game. It's a journey ....with bumps in the road.

Yeah, like Al Nolen dribbling INTO traps..unreal.

To be fair to Al, who did have a tough couple games this week, he wasn't the only one who was dribbling right into the trap (anyone who was at the game can attest to the frustration that caused). I'm no basketball coach, but after seeing them pick a few of our lame-ass floater passes off I would have changed up the strategy a bit on the offense. To the Wildcats' credit, they did play great and deserved to win that game. Tough loss to swallow for gopher fans, but whatcha gonna do?

outcoached

Tubby is the best thing to happen to U of M BB in a long time, but he was absolutely outcoached! If your team is vastly superior athletically and you lose, then you have been outcoached. He should have put Bostick and Johnson at the top since the guards were having trouble with NW's length. Johnson is very capable (and patient) handling the ball. The great UNLV teams always had Augmon and Johnson handle the ball against pressure and had Anthony and Hunt as their finishers.
Somehow we played most of the game on offense 30 feet from the basket. I didn't see one ball fake against the trap.
I agree with another thread though, this was bound to happen at some point with a younger team. I think this will end up being a great learning experience.

Not this year, bubba. NWU is a good team in 2009. They'll beat others in Evanston.

So they beat some others in Evanston. Big deal.

It has always supposed to be a gimme. No different this season, especially with Tubby at the helm. Northwestern? Easy FOT, losing cred fast.

I'm not convinced having Johnson and Bostick at the top would have worked. If passes were being denied, would they dribble out of trouble? Don't think so..IMO

Tubby had an off night

First, I love Tubby. But he gave up on Iverson way too early. There are two ways to defeat a 1-3-1. The first will beat any zone, good outside shooting. That wasn't working, so quick diagonal passing, usually 15' along the baseline is open in this zone. IF you get it here and have size in the middle you can usually hit the bigman for a bunny. I agree, I wouldve played Johnson at the top to see over the traps. Bosticks ballhanlding scares me too much. But I wouldve tried to get the ball into Iverson. A weakness of a 1-3-1 is rebounding. But with us Jacking us so many 3's all the rebounds went long. Another thought is why dont we try a box and one on their 3 pt shooter! Put a taller guy on him and dont allow this defender to help off of him! I saw Hoffarber trying to stay with him, didn't work. I also agree we didnt attack in the open floor when beating the zone press. Look, this team gets killed on the boards so get it inside and kill them on the boards. I also hate tubby starting sampson and iverson together, sampson high post skills are vastly overated as a freshmen. He finally made a midrange shot but typically misses the entire rim. Start one and post them all day! IF the guard doesnt get them the ball, pine time for him. In most games we get into trouble Tubby goes small to save us. Not this time. It worked against us. We should use a 1-3-1 on occassion then we could practice against it.

So they beat some others in Evanston. Big deal.

It has always supposed to be a gimme. No different this season, especially with Tubby at the helm. Northwestern? Easy FOT, losing cred fast.

Balderdash. (Look it up)

Northwestern beat Fla St in Evanston, too.

It's NOT a gimme game any more.

I think its hard to blame the coach entirely...yes maybe he didn't prepare them well enough for the 1-3-1, but the players have to execute. its hard to tell whether the boys came into the game fat and sassy after beating UW and didn't put enough stock into NW OR Tubby was thrown for a loop by the zone. maybe a little of both.

also, it finally happened...no one stepped up yesterday. I have been wondering if it is a blessing or a curse that we have no one or two team leaders that the others can look to in times of trouble...so far so good, someone (and actually, a wide variety of different Gophers on different nights) has emerged in each game we've needed a kick start and provided it. no one did that yesterday.

Outcoached? No. Bad Game? Yes

To say that Tubby was outcoached really misses the mark. The fact of the matter was that the team executed poorly, and shot even worse.

45.5% (5-11) free throw shooting combined with 37% (10-27) on 3's, and it's pretty easy to see why we lost.

In the end, NW won the game getting TO's (19) and by converting at the FT line, shooting 77.8% (21-27). They attempted AND made 16 more FT's, and only won by 9. Of course, they were helped by 42.9% (9-21) 3-ball shooting, but the disparity in FT attempts was the key.

An off shooting night can be overcome if the team takes care of the ball, makes free throws, and rebounds. We were even with NW on the boards, but gave them too many freebies at the line, and handed them the ball too many times. That's a fact.

We can say that the TO and FT woes are a direct result of Tubby's poor coaching, but I tend to believe that those two problems begin and end with players, because the players make the on-court decisions to dribble into traps, or try to gently lob passes over the top of the defense even after those passes aren't working. I highly doubt Tubby said "keep lobbing those passing over the top, boys" or "I like how you're dribbling into those traps, Al" in the huddle. If the players don't execute the adjustments made in the huddle, a coach looks bad, but it's not the coach's fault.

Give NW a lot of credit. They played well, and didn't fold. They played a good Purdue team down to the wire, so this is no patsy team we lost to.

If there is such a thing, this was a "good loss". It's still early in the season, and Tubby has a chance to make adjustments and corrections based on the film from this game.

Go Gophers!!!

p.s. It was nice to see Hoff finally hit a 3. Here's hoping that he can find his groove again.

So is the game of basketball....

NW played the 1-3-1 in the second half as well as i've ever seen it run. There were NO passing lanes, those lob passes were the only passes they could make, and there was nothing to be gained by making that pass. They tried penetrating, but NW collapsed 2-3 guys around the ball, and our gaurds were not tall enough to pass over the defenders. Maybe should have tried attacking the baseling a little more. They had quite a few decent looks from 3 in the second half that they couldn't hit. NW got on a roll, started believing they were a real D1 basketball team, and once the momentum swung their way, there was no going back. Everyone looks for a reason why we lost, i.e. coaching, road trip, wisonsin hangover, etc...but mostly it was just a matter of letting a bad team get on a roll on their homecourt. Much like the gophers over the last 10 years!

Top Bottom