[POST GAME THREAD] Iowa defeats Minnesota 35 - 7

If you plan on going for it on 4th down I can buy running the ball if it was 3rd and 3 or 4. Not on 3rd and 6.
PJ said postgame they were in 4 down territory and they had a good call but didn't execute.
My point is if you are saying you have 4 downs, and you call offensive plays too conservatively, as they were, you're making your own bed. Why not go for a 5-10 yard route on 3rd and 6?

PJ said postgame they were in 4 down territory and they had a good call but didn't execute.
My point is if you are saying you have 4 downs, and you call offensive plays too conservatively, as they were, you're making your own bed. Why not go for a 5-10 yard route on 3rd and 6?
"Didn't execute" is the biggest cop out a coach can use. You need to find plays that your team can execute.

Honestly even with it being 4th and 6 they needed to go for it, a fg does nothing there. Just a weak call by pj. They were on a 10 minute drive down 14 basically at the end of the 3rd q. PJ needs to quit being so dang conservative.

That was the biggest turd sandwich of the day. Horrible

I will still stand by the comic book character PJ but this really sucked.... donkey balls!

Some quick hitters:

- The lack of creativity on offense was entirely predictable and hard to watch, though Iowa’s defense is really, really good
- Morgan has struggled to work past his first read at times and that struggle was very apparent tonight
- everyone has focused on the awful linebacker player this year, but they aren’t getting much help from the defensive line
Is Iowa's defense really good, or do we just make them look really good?

I might ask the same thing about Michigan's defense. Buzzsaw DL. Except when they play Mich St or Indiana ..... ?

This is Tanner Morgan throwing the ball tonight: "Hike! Where's Bateman??? There he is! Got him on lockdown! Ok, is he open yet? No? Shit!! Run for it!!!!!" *tackle*

"Didn't execute" is the biggest cop out a coach can use. You need to find plays that your team can execute.

Yeh, I didn't like the answer.
If your executing it constantly and you are at a spot on the field the opponent is assuming you have 4 downs, their chances to interrupt the execution increase because they know you might be conservative by using all 4 downs.

I absolutely hate that answer, i dont even care about 3rd down play, if it was 4 down territory before the run play it was still 4 down territory after the play. A fg did absolutely nothing.

That was so painful. Offense sucked. Sanford needs to go. Defense tried despite their deficiencies and the offense laid a turd

Honestly even with it being 4th and 6 they needed to go for it, a fg does nothing there. Just a weak call by pj. They were on a 10 minute drive down 14 basically at the end of the 3rd q. PJ needs to quit being so dang conservative.

At 4th and 6, if you opt for the FG, you have to do so knowing you are going to make the FG, but you also should have gotten to that point with a shorter drive.

If you are fine sucking a 17 play drive that eats 10 minutes, you can't settle for a FG.
If you want to settle for a FG thinking you're going to score two TD's later, you need to get to the FG in about 4-5 minutes. Not 10.

At the point you eat 10 minutes and miss a FG, you just essentially lost the game and helped Iowa win it by killing a third of the second half, WHILE YOU HAD THE BALL!

I absolutely hate that answer, i dont even care about 3rd down play, if it was 4 down territory before the run play it was still 4 down territory after the play. A fg did absolutely nothing.

He said getting hit for a loss on third down was the reason it pushed it to a kick.
Well, if a one yard loss was going to push it to a kick, you could have tried PASSING the ball. But the way he tells his OC you have two downs, it basically breeds the idea we should just run it twice because passing is too risky.

That's a one-dimensional offense with no trust in your passing game.

Is it bitter of me to hope that college football gets cancelled due to covid?

Yeah, it is.

Is it bitter of me to hope that college football gets cancelled due to covid?

Yeah, it is.
This is gonna be a test of how bad the team wants to play, do they all say f it and go partying this weekend after this disaster or do they keep following the protocols?

14-0 near the end of the 3rd quarter tonight, this offense should be able to score 28 points vs Iowa, and last year was at Iowa, a night game, and a full house coming off the biggest win in 50 years?
This Defense is ranked 103 outta 103 right now

I get it. I want good things for Indiana. They deserve it. Even if they never have to play here.
Definitely will root for IU. They're like us on the East, the underdogs that aren't supposed to win. Just without the ancient past history of success.

Had guests over so didn't watch as close as usual.

The O has a number of issues across the board. Stands out to me that 2020 receivers are just not getting the relative separation as was the 2019 crew. Last year Tanner was throwing passes into amazingly tight windows, but he did have receivers clear to catch the ball even in double (or sometimes triple) coverage.

There's a split-second difference this year that has eroded confidence for both the QB and the WRs (and probably the new OC).

Only answer at this point is to execute better.

Season is now at least half over assuming no upcoming games cancelled. Will still be a fan and will keep rowing. Down to getting The Axe back for the Trophy Case. In the meantime, remembering being at PSU game and the Outback Bowl serve as the principle source of endorphins for now.

Tanner’s strikingly poor performance and appearance of regression of QB and receivers has a precedent in going against an elite Wisconsin defense last year and the Iowa defense is really good. The difference in my mind is the overall discombobulating of the offensive approach, playcalls, execution all year long. The guys are not playing with any confidence. Tanner is by all appearances regressing this year even if we account for the loss of the great TJ6. Growing pains of an offensive evolution or something more serious?

The common thread is bringing in an outsider with a checkered coaching history in Mike Sanford Jr instead of promoting and in effect demotivating the Co-OC. The hire never made sense outside of a networking friendship with PJF. The proof is in the actual productive issues at every stop of MSJr and the regression of Morgan and the offense overall under his mentoring has to be concerning. The counter to that argument is Michigan and Iowa have sound defenses and some struggle is to be expected. Maybe.

The defense is not good guys. Statement of the year. The way we are getting gashed on the ground reminds me of the first two years of the PJF tenure. Iowa was toying with us. Getting rolled upfront, not touching guys for 7-10 yards downfield...uffda.

Special teams are atrocious right now.

Tanner’s strikingly poor performance and appearance of regression of QB and receivers has a precedent in going against an elite Wisconsin defense last year and the Iowa defense is really good. The difference in my mind is the overall discombobulating of the offensive approach, playcalls, execution all year long. The guys are not playing with any confidence. Tanner is by all appearances regressing this year even if we account for the loss of the great TJ6. Growing pains of an offensive evolution or something more serious?

The common thread is bringing in an outsider with a checkered coaching history in Mike Sanford Jr instead of promoting and in effect demotivating the Co-OC. The hire never made sense outside of a networking friendship with PJF. The proof is in the actual productive issues at every stop of MSJr and the regression of Morgan and the offense overall under his mentoring has to be concerning. The counter to that argument is Michigan and Iowa have sound defenses and some struggle is to be expected. Maybe.

The defense is not good guys. Statement of the year. The way we are getting gashed on the ground reminds me of the first two years of the PJF tenure. Iowa was toying with us. Getting rolled upfront, not touching guys for 7-10 yards downfield...uffda.

Take a look at what he did to Jordan Love. The guy is a QB killer. I can't cite a place where he came in and made a QB take a tangible step forward

At least the defense got enough stops for that to be a winnable game for the offense.

At least the defense got enough stops for that to be a winnable game for the offense.

Iowa held the ball a shade over 23 minutes and scored 35 offensive points despite not getting much out of their passing game. They averaged 6.7 yards on the ground. They probably could have gone to the Kent State protocol and still won the game. It’s unfortunate but we have a lot of new, young, weaker faces there right now.

The offense struggling in key moments, struggling to move the ball (somewhat) consistently against anything other than the two worst defenses in the Big Ten (besides ours) is more of a problem.

Iowa held the ball a shade over 23 minutes and scored 35 offensive points despite not getting much out of their passing game. They averaged 6.7 yards on the ground. They probably could have gone to the Kent State protocol and still won the game. It’s unfortunate but we have a lot of new, young, weaker faces there right now.

The offense struggling in key moments, struggling to move the ball (somewhat) consistently against anything other than the two worst defenses in the Big Ten (besides ours) is more of a problem.
I think we are agreeing? Four punts and an INT should be enough for the offense. Agree the offense did absolutely nothing with the opportunities. In fact they consistently put the defense at a disadvantage with starting field position...especially the INTs.

The game was 14-0 long enough for the offense to get us back in the game.

Seemed like every Mo handoff instantly sniffed out and stuffed. Every drop back Morgan couldn’t find someone to throw it to.

I think we are agreeing? Four punts and an INT should be enough for the offense. Agree the offense did absolutely nothing with the opportunities. In fact they consistently put the defense at a disadvantage with starting field position...especially the INTs.

I mean, sure it could have been worse. They will get better.

For me, the worst is Ferentz thumbing his nose at the Gophers by calling the 3 time-outs. That is one coach telling the other "bleep you." No other way to interpret it. That is up there with Bielema going for 2 because "the card told me to do it."

I may be wrong, but I suspect that some of the other B1G coaches are not members of the PJ Fleck fan club.

Another game where we gave up 2 touchdown runs up the middle, and the runners were not touched. We had one of the youngest teams in college two years ago, and with Morgan, MO, and Bateman back, we are this bad. This loss was on the PJ and the coaches.

Would call this a wacker-like or brewster-like season but would be an insult to wacker. Maybe even an insult to brewster?

I found it a little surprising back at the time how accepting fleck was when it looked like there was going to be no big ten football. Makes sense now.

At this point looks like our best chance for a win will be in the crossover game if we get a favorable matchup.

Still just stunning how a team picked to challenge for the division can be this bad. Glad we didnt play a team from the dakotas this year, tired of losing to those teams as well. Bison would have done bad things to us.

Top Bottom