No magic

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
So far, this has been a study in just how special 2019 was. Those unlikely wins against inferior opponents. Fleck in front of a podium telling us how the miraculous losses were over. Swagger. Unlikely wins.

well, things have a way of evening out. An averted potential embarrassing loss to an FCS team was replaced to a blow out loss to a traditional power. Now an unlikely refuse-to-lose gritty OT win has been replaced with a destined-to-lose OT loss to the easiest team on the schedule.

things are evening out and all the comments from the coach and team basically fawning over the original decision to not have a fall season seem to be exposing a team that, surprise, doesn’t look like it wanted to play a fall season.

the defense is far worse than the most pessimistic of fears and the offense looks like it needs its old O coordinator back.

Fleck won everyone over between the end of ‘18 and 2019. Now he looks more like the guy that hired Rob Smith to be the D coordinator after he pushed Arkansas to the abyss defensively. I still have faith in Fleck, but he is mortal, and this underprepared, under performing 2020 write off of a squad shows he still has learning to do.
We’ll see how this effects recruiting and a full “normal” 2021.

yes, I am “that Gopher fan” among my large network of sports fan friends, and based on my texts and social media - the “flash in the pan” narrative has begun. Hate that.

Just about everyone knew we were going to have trouble with our defense this year. Then when it happened, all the negative posts came about.

Some have said that they aren't going to watch any more games for the rest of the year. Well I guess perhaps we'll see you next year.

Just about everyone knew we were going to have trouble with our defense this year. Then when it happened, all the negative posts came about.

Some have said that they aren't going to watch any more games for the rest of the year. Well I guess perhaps we'll see you next year.
It should not be this bad in year 4...That is a complete failure by PJ

Except those wins last year in the non-conference were examples of the Gophers badly outplaying their opposition and having fluke occurences put them in terrible spots. You had the fumbles against Fresno St and the way after the play personal foul that gave Fresno St a bunch of points. You had all the fluky things against GSU with the strip sack TD and then the blocked kick return TD that took a very comfortable game in to a potential loss. The Gophers played much better as the season went along, but they were the much better team in those games that was snakebit by some truly awful luck and found a way to win anyway. They certainly lose against a "real" team if they played like they did in their opener against South Dakota last year though.

This year they were getting outplayed by Maryland. The defense is every bit as bad as it was in the last days of Robb Smith. There wasn't fluke plays involved, it was simply inept defense and an offense that is a shell of what we saw last year. We've downgraded at OC, the QB is not playing well, we've lost 2 starting OL, Tyler left big shoes to fill and defensively the CB's are not playing well and all the replacements for the graduating Seniors/Winfield Jr have been major downgrades. This program was a flash in the pan until proven otherwise at this point. There's just no way to come to any other conclusion.

Trouble with the defense is one thing, this defense is about as bad as you can get.

There is raw talent there but they certainly not playing to it. There is enough leadership from seasoned players on the dline and dbacks that they shouldn’t be this bad. I’m most disappointed with the safety play. You definitely see how special Winfield was. Howden has played a lot so I thought he could help Nubins lack of experience, clearly not so far (he’s made an awful lot of mistakes and has been very bad but you can see the raw talent). LBs have a hustle guy that’s not fast enough and a freshman who is very athletic but gets out of position. I’m hoping next game some of the other touted young guys play.

So far, this has been a study in just how special 2019 was. Those unlikely wins against inferior opponents. Fleck in front of a podium telling us how the miraculous losses were over. Swagger. Unlikely wins.

well, things have a way of evening out. An averted potential embarrassing loss to an FCS team was replaced to a blow out loss to a traditional power. Now an unlikely refuse-to-lose gritty OT win has been replaced with a destined-to-lose OT loss to the easiest team on the schedule.

things are evening out and all the comments from the coach and team basically fawning over the original decision to not have a fall season seem to be exposing a team that, surprise, doesn’t look like it wanted to play a fall season.

the defense is far worse than the most pessimistic of fears and the offense looks like it needs its old O coordinator back.

Fleck won everyone over between the end of ‘18 and 2019. Now he looks more like the guy that hired Rob Smith to be the D coordinator after he pushed Arkansas to the abyss defensively. I still have faith in Fleck, but he is mortal, and this underprepared, under performing 2020 write off of a squad shows he still has learning to do.
We’ll see how this effects recruiting and a full “normal” 2021.

yes, I am “that Gopher fan” among my large network of sports fan friends, and based on my texts and social media - the “flash in the pan” narrative has begun. Hate that.
Great post.

I mean, we lost 7 starters to graduation. Then another defensive starter to injury AND we also didn't have spring practice nor a full fall practice either.

I'm not saying it's a excuse, but you couldn't really write a worse situation for a young defense to find themselves in.

I mean, we lost 7 starters to graduation. Then another defensive starter to injury AND we also didn't have spring practice nor a full fall practice either.

I'm not saying it's a excuse, but you couldn't really write a worse situation for a young defense to find themselves in.

Definitely think the lack of a traditional off-season has played into some of our defensive struggles but I honestly believed this group would play significantly better than it has to this point.

Not surprising to see some growing pains, guys out of position, and mistakes being made. But I guess the hope was that we would also see signs of promise as well and right now there just aren't many of those to be seen from the defense.

Probably the scariest stat to me is the yards per play we are allowing right now. Michigan was over 8 yards a play and Maryland was over 10. They have to find a way to limit the big chunk plays and start making teams work to move the ball the way last year's defense did.

Was hopeful we would see the defense make some strides from week 1 to week 2 but they went in the wrong direction big time. Too early to give up on the players and coaches but everything should be on the table personnel wise until they can find the best fits. Hopefully get things sorted out this year in order to hit the ground running on D in 2021. That is not to say you bag 2020 but based on what we have seen these first two weeks the Defense has a ton of work to do.

Class of 2017 defensive players "should be" our leaders right now.

But they've largely been busts or left the program. Antithesis of the 2016 class.

J Harris contributes at Nickle CB
Mafe has some nice rushes, but doesn't start. Rush starts over him.
Oto is a starting DE, but not sure how he's grading out/performing.

That's it.

Don't forget how the new OC hire has changed the dynamics of the offense also. If Sanford turns out to be a dud, what does that mean for Fleck? I mean he's not an X's and O's coach, so he's only as good as his coordinators. Rob Smith.. and now Sanford? Hmm..

Both of those things can be and are true.

It was going to be a big step back on defense this year.

It shouldn’t have been this big of a Step back.

You two aren’t arguing. You’re making different points.

Don't forget how the new OC hire has changed the dynamics of the offense also. If Sanford turns out to be a dud, what does that mean for Fleck? I mean he's not an X's and O's coach, so he's only as good as his coordinators. Rob Smith.. and now Sanford? Hmm..
Here comes the myth that the coach doesn’t know Xs and Os

He does know Xs and Os

Every coach knows X's and O's, at some level. What he means is that he isn't a mastermind strategist. Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, etc.

He's a great salesman. A closer. He gets kids to come here. He sells the program. (and his personal brand)

We get a first down in the final possession of regulation and the storyline On this season would different. instead we're 0-2 and what can we do going forward. Our strength this year has to be the offense. It has to max out and hope the defense grows up and matures as season progresses. Offense needs to be challenged to dominate from here on out. I want 50 points per game. That's got to be the objective.

It's a reality check.

Fleck will be fine. Team will keep moving forward through ups and downs. If coordinator changes need to be made, I'm sure Fleck will make those changes. Recruiting is drastically improving as well. Team will get better over time. Seems like some of us maybe had unrealistic expectations that we were Rose bowl bound every year going forward.

I'll take Friday's offense output all day long. 38 points, 7 minute TOP advantage, and 450 yards of offense. Should win almost every game. Offense is not the issue here, at all.

I'll take Friday's offense output all day long. 38 points, 7 minute TOP advantage, and 450 yards of offense. Should win almost every game. Offense is not the issue here, at all.
Yeah I think it's way too early to be hitting the panic button on Sanford. The playcalling in the 4th was disappointing though and probably cost us the game.

Maryland even younger.

It's a reality check.

Fleck will be fine. Team will keep moving forward through ups and downs. If coordinator changes need to be made, I'm sure Fleck will make those changes. Recruiting is drastically improving as well. Team will get better over time. Seems like some of us maybe had unrealistic expectations that we were Rose bowl bound every year going forward.

Recruiting has improved on offense, but doesn’t look like it on defense. The previous staff knew how to identify talent - Murray, Winfield, Martin, Coughlin, Wilson, Myrick, others forgetting. Only Coughlin highly recruited. Fleck’s staff done a nice job identifying and recruiting offensive talent rated highly and not. They have not done as well as previous staff on defense. I wish we could merge the two, but since that isn’t possible need to see Fleck and staff improve in that area. Hopefully it’s just an awful start. We’ll see.

Last edited:

Recruiting has improved on offense, but doesn’t look like it on defense. The previous staff knew how to identify talent - Murray, Winfield, Martin, Coughlin, Wilson, Myrick, others forgetting. Only Coughlin highly recruited. Fleck’s staff done a nice job identifying and recruiting offensive talent rated highly and not. They have not done as well as previous staff on defense. I wish we could merge the two, but since that isn’t possible need to see Fleck and staff improve in that area.
The 2021 class looks great defensively. Especially if you add Townley.

The way I look at it, Kill really knew how to develop his players. I don't think he cared as much about recruiting stars and what not. Seems to be somewhat the opposite with Fleck. It'd be nice to get somebody in there running the defense with a proven track record.

I'd say you could make the argument either way. If one of em steps up and makes a couple plays we win the game.
Ahh, no, you can't. MD scored 17 points in about 9 1/2 minutes in the 4th qtr.

Ahh, no, you can't. MD scored 17 points in about 9 1/2 minutes in the 4th qtr.
If the offense picks up 2 first downs in the 4th quarter you win the game. If the offense drives down and scores on the final possession of regulation you win the game.

Maryland's defense is not exactly elite. There's no reason any pressure should've even been put on our defense.

If the offense picks up 2 first downs in the 4th quarter you win the game. If the offense drives down and scores on the final possession of regulation you win the game.

Maryland's defense is not exactly elite. There's no reason any pressure should've even been put on our defense.
Good grief. Solution looking for a problem, and the offense was by no means the problem Friday.

Good grief. Solution looking for a problem, and the offense was by no means the problem Friday.
I'm not giving the defense credit here. That would be great if they held their own. But I think we understood the defense wasn't gonna get it done. That was a given. So once you establish that blame, you adjust your offensive play calling because we know they're the ones who are gonna have to win the game for us.

It's a lost cause when you're giving up 10+ yards a play.

Yes the defense is to blame first. I just don't understand acting like the offense played a flawless game. The 4th quarter was a disaster on offense.

Last edited:

I'm not giving the defense credit here. That would be great if they held their own. But I think we understood the defense wasn't gonna get it done. That was a given. So once you establish that blame, you adjust your offensive play calling because we know they're the ones who are gonna have to win the game for us.

It's a lost cause when you're giving up 10+ yards a play.

Yes the defense is to blame first. I just don't understand acting like the offense played a flawless game. The 4th quarter was a disaster on offense.
Your defense is only to blame. Offense did more than enough to win. Period.

Every coach knows X's and O's, at some level. What he means is that he isn't a mastermind strategist. Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, etc.

He's a great salesman. A closer. He gets kids to come here. He sells the program. (and his personal brand)
In addition to his abilities as a head coach, game management not withstanding, he is a great teacher of wide receivers and has shown the ability to recruit the position. I don't think we need him to be an offensive or defensive maestro --- he merely needs to understand how to hire and retain those people.

Top Bottom