Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Regarding UVA’s title. I guess an Auburn fan could use his words and say “big deal Chuma Okeke didn’t play”.
Of course they can. Just like UVA could have but they let it be part of their story, moved on and won the Title. That loss was turned into even more success and resulted in a ongoing boost in recruiting because of how it was handled from a leadership standpoint. You learn from your largest defeats but you do not lose sight of 30 plus wins and another ACC title. Then you come back, win it all in going 66-5 with Hunter !

Jose Perez had left the team in early February and never returned. Not a good sign. I checked their message board to see what the scuttlebutt was:

• They were 9-13 with him, lost their first game without him, and then went 7-2 the rest of the season. I say no thanks. This sounds like Zach Lofton 2.0. Intriguing player but a cancer on the team.
Great post. Recruit winners, high character guys, coach winners. Win !

Jose Perez had left the team in early February and never returned. Not a good sign. I checked their message board to see what the scuttlebutt was:

• They were 9-13 with him, lost their first game without him, and then went 7-2 the rest of the season. I say no thanks. This sounds like Zach Lofton 2.0. Intriguing player but a cancer on the team.

Interesting for sure. Thanks for doing the research. Agree, if he's a pain, then don't need him.

I'm all in on Drew Peterson now. 6'8 versatile guard that can do a bit of everything. His video passes the eye test to me. He averaged 7.6/4.6/2.6 in 6 games versus top 100 competition last season, which is pretty close to what Willis gave us last year.

I'm all in on Drew Peterson now. 6'8 versatile guard that can do a bit of everything. His video passes the eye test to me. He averaged 7.6/4.6/2.6 in 6 games versus top 100 competition last season, which is pretty close to what Willis gave us last year.
Let's do this. Of course for Pitino, this would mean he is 100% all in on the transfer eligible rule, but I think he has to go for it if Peterson is willing.

I like Perez a little bit more Athlon Preseason Big South Preseason POY as a Soph.

Let's do this. Of course for Pitino, this would mean he is 100% all in on the transfer eligible rule, but I think he has to go for it if Peterson is willing.

That's the big issue here. If somehow the staff thinks he is good enough to wait a year on, so be it. I am risk averse, and think if there is an immediately eligible player under current rules who can fill a need, we need to go that direction.

That's the big issue here. If somehow the staff thinks he is good enough to wait a year on, so be it. I am risk averse, and think if there is an immediately eligible player under current rules who can fill a need, we need to go that direction.
Pitino fighting for his job probably feels likewise.

It should be good to go. Vote in May.

They'll give waivers to anyone seeking a transfer between four-year schools for the first time. (y)

and at 6'8" in the guard position, he should defend much better

Are we in another post-miss malaise? Who’s the next prospect up? Can we land Peterson? Would he get a waiver to play immediately? Are there other possible players we’re considering?

It should be good to go. Vote in May.

They'll give waivers to anyone seeking a transfer between four-year schools for the first time. (y)
You are more confident in the bureaucracy than I am, especially since a majority of coaches are opposed to it for very good reason. I would not bet my job on it.

Not huge on rosters with several transfers. They are not together very long and those programs that have done it have had very little success. One of the very best things a non blue blood school does to compete with those schools is to be experienced together.

ALL THIS from BADGER that says he never, ever makes EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!

BADGER the FRAUD!!!!!

BADGER NEVER makes EXCUSES!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Call him out 1984.
Chamomile tea has been shown to relieve some sorts of mania. Soft music, especially cool jazz, can also help. Dimming the lights and closing your eyes are also good recommendations.

Not huge on rosters with several transfers. They are not together very long and those programs that have done it have had very little success. One of the very best things a non blue blood school does to compete with those schools is to be experienced together.
I’ll take Peterson over an empty scholie... from the film I’ve seen it looks like the kid can hoop. Sure it would’ve been nice to land a 4-year player in Walton but he just got done slow-playing us and Pitino.

It's not ideal. However, in this case, Pitino is building for this year. He has to win now. So he is going to take who he thinks will help him do that.

I’ll take Peterson over an empty scholie... from the film I’ve seen it looks like the kid can hoop. Sure it would’ve been nice to land a 4-year player in Walton but he just got done slow-playing us and Pitino.
I do not want the empty scholarship either and given the short rope that Pitino is on Peterson would be fine. I do think Pitino did all he could. It is a damn hard sell given the track record and better offers that come in. It is not doomsday . If your a great coach you win with what you have.

All true, but the changing landscape of college basketball makes it more difficult than it ever was. Coaching staff challenges have grown in trying to assemble BOTH a talented group of players AND a group willing to stick it out. Between dreams of playing professionally, upgrading in the level of college basketball, general impatience among players and families, and loosening transfer restrictions, finding those kinds of players is getting harder and harder. Perhaps so difficult that the model may not work in the era we are embarking.

I am preparing to watch college basketball that looks more like a CBA assembled roster than anything we have typically seen in college basketball in the past. I don't like it, but the world and the system has created it.

I do not want the empty scholarship either and given the short rope that Pitino is on Peterson would be fine. I do think Pitino did all he could. It is a damn hard sell given the track record and better offers that come in. It is not doomsday . If your a great coach you win with what you have.

No. Give Calapari Highpoint's roster and he doesn't win the SEC with it. Good players make good coaches and good coaches know that. They don't "win with what they have" if what they have is not talented enough.

No. Give Calapari Highpoint's roster and he doesn't win the SEC with it. Good players make good coaches and good coaches know that. They don't "win with what they have" if what they have is not talented enough.
Makes you wonder, what really are the ways that a good head coach can actually affect a game.

There isn't some scheme that no one knows how to play against, on paper. There aren't magic words you can say to your team to get them to suddenly start playing at 200% of what they were.

I guess, all you can really do is recognize who is hot that night and who is slumping, on both teams, and try to create matchups to take advantage (or minimize the impact) of those.

All true, but the changing landscape of college basketball makes it more difficult than it ever was. Coaching staff challenges have grown in trying to assemble BOTH a talented group of players AND a group willing to stick it out. Between dreams of playing professionally, upgrading in the level of college basketball, general impatience among players and families, and loosening transfer restrictions, finding those kinds of players is getting harder and harder. Perhaps so difficult that the model may not work in the era we are embarking.

I am preparing to watch college basketball that looks more like a CBA assembled roster than anything we have typically seen in college basketball in the past. I don't like it, but the world and the system has created it.
Some of the teams i follow closely are actually going to thrive in this era even more. I love how they identify the kids and families they want starting with character and the academic drive required in that program. Then putting great emphasis on intangibles that are spelled out in strict precision. Those kinds of kids and families are now pursuing that program, that coach . Hell, they are already elite but every single basketball mind will tell you it will get better thee because it was built with pillars he lived by. The next class of guys is there, on the way and more to enter the pipeline. Even the transfer they added requested to sit out ! Nova is still going to mix and match , Texas Tech built a model kids love. UW is continuing to build a team , those programs bought into the idea that if putting the ball in the basket was the object that someone better understand that stopping them from doing so we be at least as important. The coaches i follow will win even more in the chaos . I remember when the shot clock was changed people said it would hurt Dean Smith, the opposite was true, freshman not elgible, the opposite, widen the lane and no dunking did not stop the best. 35-30 SECONDS on the shot clock did not hurt UVA. It made it even harder for opponents to find quality shots. The best coaches built a program on hard work, intelligence and character. God damn, the experienced teams will have even a larger advantage.

No need for Cal to take those guys, as you allude to he gets the guys he wants. Focus on a Tony Bennett who Roy Williams says he can take his guys and beat you or take your guys and beat you. Great evaluation, great teaching and what you teach matters.

Some of the teams i follow closely are actually going to thrive in this era even more. I love how they identify the kids and families they want starting with character and the academic drive required in that program. Then putting great emphasis on intangibles that are spelled out in strict precision. Those kinds of kids and families are now pursuing that program, that coach . Hell, they are already elite but every single basketball mind will tell you it will get better thee because it was built with pillars he lived by. The next class of guys is there, on the way and more to enter the pipeline. Even the transfer they added requested to sit out ! Nova is still going to mix and match , Texas Tech built a model kids love. UW is continuing to build a team , those programs bought into the idea that if putting the ball in the basket was the object that someone better understand that stopping them from doing so we be at least as important. The coaches i follow will win even more in the chaos . I remember when the shot clock was changed people said it would hurt Dean Smith, the opposite was true, freshman not elgible, the opposite, widen the lane and no dunking did not stop the best. 35-30 SECONDS on the shot clock did not hurt UVA. It made it even harder for opponents to find quality shots. The best coaches built a program on hard work, intelligence and character. God damn, the experienced teams will have even a larger advantage.

Supply and demand. The supply of family and player you are describing is declining. Of course, those who can still do it will succeed with it, but fewer and fewer can use it, because of the changing landscape. There were over 700 players who put themselves into the portal this year. That's not changing anytime soon, making "experienced rosters" more and more difficult to assemble.

No need for Cal to take those guys, as you allude to he gets the guys he wants. Focus on a Tony Bennett who Roy Williams says he can take his guys and beat you or take your guys and beat you. Great evaluation, great teaching and what you teach matters.

Honestly, it would be interesting to see Bennett with a Calipari roster to see what happens.

Top Bottom