The Lineup Will Change Tomorrow - But Tubby Won't

Blizzard

Reaction score
I'm posting this in a new thread because of the quotes. I was really feeling pretty good before I read this. I find it a bit disturbing. I have a feeling I know who some of the quotes are directed at, but honestly, what a mess.

Changing the lineup to pair Ralph Sampson III and Colton Iverson. Calling a players-only meeting. Tubby Smith did both to try getting his team out of a funk.

He won't change his coaching style, though.

The University of Minnesota men's basketball coach won't stop benching players, even late in games, if they don't play defense. He won't stop staring and yelling at them throughout practice and in the locker room after games because they aren't hustling for rebounds and loose balls.

Losing seven of 10 games and playing their way out of the NCAA tournament is frustrating for all the Gophers, but Smith said the players have to change, not him.

"I haven't changed my coaching style in 20 or 30 years," said Smith, whose Gophers (14-10, 5-7) host No. 13 Wisconsin (19-6, 9-4) tonight at Williams Arena.

"Everybody wants to do what they want to do," Smith said. "As soon as you confront them with having to conform or sacrifice, it's tough. People want to do more. Guys say: 'Coach, I can help us win; give me the ball more.' But it comes to a point when you say less means more. That's what we have to convey. I would like to see them do more on the defensive end, do more rebounding and boxing out."

Senior forward Damian Johnson said he accepts everything the coaching staff has to say. He said not everyone on the team does, though, and he doesn't know why.

"I can't really tell, but I just think guys get frustrated at themselves more than anything," Johnson said.

"They feel like they're different players than they are. They're just not playing the way they want to play. That can cause a rift between the players and the coaches if they feel like the coaches are holding them back."

Smith admitted to sometimes being "very negative" when trying to correct mistakes. And there were many of them Sunday after Minnesota blew a 13-point second-half lead and gave up 13 three-pointers in a 77-74 overtime loss at Northwestern.

Smith said some of his players might take his criticism as meaning "Coach doesn't like me."

"It's all magnified when you lose," Smith said. "People say, 'Oh, if you just get the ball to him' or 'Oh, I'm not touching the ball.' That's part of it."

Smith wanted his players to address their problems with one another, so he arranged for a players-only meeting after Sunday's loss to Northwestern.

"We talked about things like guys having to play with more confidence," sophomore guard Devoe Joseph said. "We said that you can't just be relaxed out there. Don't just come out and go through the motions — you have to have fun and play with confidence. This is college basketball. This is what we dreamed about."

As for Smith, he said the only change he will make is to the lineup, and only because of the matchup against Wisconsin.

Smith said Iverson will replace either Joseph or Lawrence Westbrook. The two 6-foot-11 sophomore big men have started together only once this season after starting together 18 times last season.

The Gophers had gone with a three-guard lineup — Al Nolen, Westbrook and Hoffarber — while still in nonconference play. The result was a seven-game winning streak, albeit against weaker competition. When Nolen was declared academically ineligible for the second semester, Joseph replaced him at point guard.

Johnson said he didn't know if a lineup change would be the answer. He said that, primarily, the players' mentality has to change if the Gophers are to turn around their season. He said the players-only meeting was a good idea.

"I think our effort has to change," Johnson said. "We have to go out and play harder every night. All the games we lost, we got outworked. ... It (the meeting) was more of Coach's thing than us. But we needed to talk."

Damian is showing the leadership of a Senior Captain with his quotes and support for Coach. Good job DJ. Gee I wonder why LW was quiet???

I'm posting this in a new thread because of the quotes. I was really feeling pretty good before I read this. I find it a bit disturbing. I have a feeling I know who some of the quotes are directed at, but honestly, what a mess.

Zero blame for Tubby. Hmmm. No "I'm going to have to find new combos or ways to work with this group". No offensive or defensive style adjustments. No change in coaching attitude to fire up the players. I agree I was encouraged to think he was making adjustments - now this.

Comes with the territory when you lose. Everyone is either looking for an excuse or someone to point the finger at. Tubby needs to draw the line and be the lead. Sometimes not always easy to hear. Let's hope for a strong performance tomorrow or it could get uglier.

Comes with the territory when you lose. Everyone is either looking for an excuse or someone to point the finger at. Tubby needs to draw the line and be the lead. Sometimes not always easy to hear. Let's hope for a strong performance tomorrow or it could get uglier.

Leadership also means accepting a share of the blame. Yes he has to draw the line and not compromise tried and true principles, but he also has to accept some personal responsibility to win the minds of his players.

Yes, lets blame the system that won a national championship and 16? consecutive 20 win seasons. yep. throw it out the window. great idea guys.

Beej, if the players will not perform on the floor with passion and grit, it does not matter what Coach does or says. Coach can only put the players in a position to win, it is up to the players to do it. Damian has it right.

Beej, if the players will not perform on the floor with passion and grit, it does not matter what Coach does or says. Coach can only put the players in a position to win, it is up to the players to do it. Damian has it right.

Dr. Don- of course you are right. But a good way to get a team to play hard for you is to absorb some blame on yourself. BTW- from what you have seen of this offense, is it what is needed to put these players in a position to win? I am not sure. We were told when Tubby came that we would like his clubs defensively and hate the offense. Some truth there.

Forget about the Tubby system that has worked with past teams.

How about a system and a gameplan geared around his current roster?

- One that helps slower and less-lanky guards like Hoffarber and Joseph by having less defensive rotation so 3 pointers aren't as open?
- One that involves more movement and ball screens on offense so players who aren't capable of creating their own offense aren't forced to?
- One that leaves players in more often in games, and coaches differently in practice following mistakes, so they can learn from them and develop the confidence that even the team admits is low?

Dr. Don- of course you are right. But a good way to get a team to play hard for you is to absorb some blame on yourself. BTW- from what you have seen of this offense, is it what is needed to put these players in a position to win? I am not sure. We were told when Tubby came that we would like his clubs defensively and hate the offense. Some truth there.

I guess my question back to you is this Beej...When the players are doing what is needed we get leads until the last few minutes, right?...It is the close out portion of the game to put it away that the players stop doing what is needed that things go tits up in the mud.

Anyone that's played on a team knows about the effect a cancerous teamate(s) can have. It affects everything and that's why it acts like a cancer and destroys everything. It spreads into everything the coaches are doing and also affects other teamates. I think most people assumed this to be what was going on this year. Yes, part of this also comes back to the coaches but I'm not sure the coaches are really in much of a position to do anything about it. It just kills me to say it but if we don't win tomorrow I can only see one more victory on the schedule and that's Iowa.

I guess my question back to you is this Beej...When the players are doing what is needed we get leads until the last few minutes, right?...It is the close out portion of the game to put it away that the players stop doing what is needed that things go tits up in the mud.

So you are saying that the players are only playing hard for Tubby until crunch time? The last minutes of the game is where coaches get more heavily involved. From what I can see Tubby is attempting to slow the action at the end of the game- playing not to lose. I'm not sure this team has that gear. These guys noticably lack confidence- they are playing those last minutes hard but fearfully. Since Nolen is gone I don't think we have the perimeter speed to play Tubby's ball line, chasing defense and it gets worse at the end of the game when other teams are turning it up a notch.

I don't know much. But there's two things that are obvious. 1. Our offense is stagnant- no movement and it's been that way all year. 2. We give up more open 3 point looks than any team in the Big Ten. Soem of it may be players and some may be coaching strategy- at the very least there is enough blame to go around that it seems Tubby ought to be accepting a bit of it. I like the guy, it's great that we have him but this season is worrisome. He wouldn't be the first coach to get older and start to lose his ability to adjust.

Veteran coaches don't change what they know how to do.

The true measure is W-ing over time.

Seems that the real issue if Fuller fabricating a quote from Johnson.

I saw Damian Johnson's tweet. Fuller didn't put quotes around that though but he certainly seemed to be putting words in his mouth. Damian didn't appear real pleased.

Somewhat of a stalker tonight .. sorry.

Here's da tweet ..

im tryin to figure out when did i tell marcus fuller my teammates not accepting coaching and i am

Had to laugh at that .. so you're not accepting coaching either Damian? 99.9 percent certain that's not what he meant.

And also ..

man im pissed bout that i never said that one time

Better say you're sorry Marcus or I would imagine you won't be getting anything from the guys.

Inserting Colton into the starting lineup sounds like a horrible idea to me...
1. It's Colton... what has he done outside of 2 games this year?
2. If he's guarding their C, than Ralph is chasing Luer around? Maybe I'm off on that one.
3. I'd much rather see Carter in the starting lineup. He's been playing well lately, he can actually drive, and he's got the length and speed to get out on shooters to contest
4. We're taking out either Devoe or Westbrook? Who plays pg if we take out Devoe? Take out Westbrook who beat Wisc single-handed last year? I hate to think of his attitude/game play tomorrow if he's not starting.

The Badgers have mobile big men like Nankevil and Leuer. Guys who can shoot from the perimeter - especially Nankevil

I don't really understand the thinking in starting both Iverson and Sampson. The only thing I can think of is that he wants big men down low to stop Taylor and Hughes from finishing at the rim, and he will live with the bigs taking shots from the outside.

Leadership also means accepting a share of the blame. Yes he has to draw the line and not compromise tried and true principles, but he also has to accept some personal responsibility to win the minds of his players.

Agreed. I don't think anyone expects him to start changing the system he's used for decades. But as much as we all bemoan it, there are times when 'coach speak' is the best answer. A little 'we all need to take responsibility and do better, coaches and players.' type cliche is sometimes the best answer. There's been a little too much throwing of players under the bus and a bit too little pointing the finger at himself going on, IMO. I don't even care if he means it. At least publicly accept some of the blame.

This lineup change seems like an awful idea, especially against Wisconsin where athleticism was our advantage last year. Starting the two big guys and removing Westbrook or Joseph seems like it almost guarantee's a slow start offensively. We certainly don't' want to play a grind it out game with Wisconsin. If I made a change it would be to put Paul Carter in the starting lineup and take Devoe or Blake out. I'd press from the first made basket and try to get some easy buckets and get the crowd in to the game. I can't imagine how inept our half court offense will look with both big guys in the game and no Nolen at the point...UGLY.

There is absolutely no circumstance where Tubby should change his system midseason to accomodate players' complaints. The day he does that he may as well turn in his resignation because he will have lost all control of the team. This man knows how to coach and he knows how to win. When players unconditionally commit to playing within tubby's system his teams' win. the selfishness and lack of dedication to the system shown by some of the players on this team is the reason for the current struggles of this team. Let's be real here and put some of the pressure where it belongs: on the players.

So you are saying that the players are only playing hard for Tubby until crunch time? The last minutes of the game is where coaches get more heavily involved. From what I can see Tubby is attempting to slow the action at the end of the game- playing not to lose. I'm not sure this team has that gear. These guys noticably lack confidence- they are playing those last minutes hard but fearfully. Since Nolen is gone I don't think we have the perimeter speed to play Tubby's ball line, chasing defense and it gets worse at the end of the game when other teams are turning it up a notch.

I don't know much. But there's two things that are obvious. 1. Our offense is stagnant- no movement and it's been that way all year. 2. We give up more open 3 point looks than any team in the Big Ten. Soem of it may be players and some may be coaching strategy- at the very least there is enough blame to go around that it seems Tubby ought to be accepting a bit of it. I like the guy, it's great that we have him but this season is worrisome. He wouldn't be the first coach to get older and start to lose his ability to adjust.

+1

seems like he had athletes in the past... NBA guys.. kids from Oak Hill, DeMatha... kids from CA, NYC, MI, etc.. making big plays on both ends to pull out tight games. put on a press and roll the ball out... cupcake non-conf and its an easy 20 win season.. plus, we're talking the SEC.. not ACC/Big East/Big10.

+1

seems like he had athletes in the past... NBA guys.. kids from Oak Hill, DeMatha... kids from CA, NYC, MI, etc.. making big plays on both ends to pull out tight games. put on a press and roll the ball out... cupcake non-conf and its an easy 20 win season.. plus, we're talking the SEC.. not ACC/Big East/Big10.

Did you even watch UK while Tubby was there? Because you have zero clue as to what you're talking about.

Tubby's not going to change. It's not going to happen. He's stubborn and his hubris is both his greatest asset and his undoing at times. I thought maybe he learned a bit but obviously, based on what I've seen this season from Minnesota, I was wrong. I hope he can get it turned around for his sake and yours but he's digging in again. That's bad news for the Minnesota program imho.

I think people are overreacting. In 2002, UK had huge expectations, but the team faced a lot of problems off the court which affected the team, so they underachieved, similar to this year's Gophers. So many thought naturally that 2003 would be a horrible year at UK and it turned out to be Tubby's greatest season since 1998. So just when expectations are low, Tubby finds a way to get it done, without dumping his system or making wholesale changes.

Did you even watch UK while Tubby was there? Because you have zero clue as to what you're talking about.

Tubby's not going to change. It's not going to happen. He's stubborn and his hubris is both his greatest asset and his undoing at times. I thought maybe he learned a bit but obviously, based on what I've seen this season from Minnesota, I was wrong. I hope he can get it turned around for his sake and yours but he's digging in again. That's bad news for the Minnesota program imho.

He lost both PF and his starting PG this season. That has a bigger impact than what you wrote.

He "dug in" during 2002 season at UK. Several players left. UK was 87-15 in the next 3 seasons.

The only person in the program that knows what it takes to have a great college basketball team is Tubby. Not one player has been there or even been close.

Each player that has been recruited by Tubby came here knowing what he expects: play hard, run his D, rebound, box out, go for loose balls and the points will come. The others have to adjust. I am glad that Tubby is digging in his heals and play the guys who "buy" in.

The only person in the program that knows what it takes to have a great college basketball team is Tubby. Not one player has been there or even been close.

Each player that has been recruited by Tubby came here knowing what he expects: play hard, run his D, rebound, box out, go for loose balls and the points will come. The others have to adjust. I am glad that Tubby is digging in his heals and play the guys who "buy" in.

+2 (Can't use +1 because it is trademarked by section201. If anyone else uses +1, that person is in violation of Federal TM laws)

Bay

Very well stated.

+1 [TM]

:clap::clap::clap:

+19

Top Bottom