Nebraska has hardest schedule in history of NCAA

swingman

Reaction score
from Omaha World Herald:

Those five Big Ten teams that finished in the top 15? They’re the same five Nebraska faces to finish next season.
Oct. 31: at Ohio State
Nov. 7: Penn State
Nov. 14: at Iowa
Nov. 21: at Wisconsin
Nov. 27: Minnesota
You’ve probably heard about this 2020 gauntlet. Maybe even studied it yourself. But today I'm 99.9% sure we can call this five-game stretch something else.
Unprecedented.
Based on my research, no team in college football history (!!!) played five consecutive regular-season games against teams that finished the previous season in the top 15.

It almost feels like a dirty trick. Nebraska, for the first time in 60 years, suffers three straight losing seasons. So let’s give Big Red a full head of steam — maybe even a 7-0 start — before erecting a brick wall in the road. Happy Halloween, Scott.

Attachments

• 1579047500929.png
    1579047500929.png
    73 bytes · Views: 20

Seems like they’re cherry picking. They weren’t consecutive, but Auburn played 6 of the top 10 (Final AP poll) this season. I’d say that was a tougher schedule than what Nebraska faces next year.

from Omaha World Herald:

Those five Big Ten teams that finished in the top 15? They’re the same five Nebraska faces to finish next season.
You’ve probably heard about this 2020 gauntlet. Maybe even studied it yourself. But today I'm 99.9% sure we can call this five-game stretch something else.
Unprecedented.
Based on my research, no team in college football history (!!!) played five consecutive regular-season games against teams that finished the previous season in the top 15.

It almost feels like a dirty trick. Nebraska, for the first time in 60 years, suffers three straight losing seasons. So let’s give Big Red a full head of steam — maybe even a 7-0 start — before erecting a brick wall in the road. Happy Halloween, Scott.
7-0 start??? Good grief. These fans are ridiculous. Start out by beating Purdue first. Wow.

Oh poor Nebbie. That breaks my heart.

Cinci had a nice year...not a sure non-con win.

Maybe in Slomaha, they think the world stops at the nebraska border...…

Wisconsin's schedule is no cakewalk:

They open with Indiana at Camp Randall. Then a 'breather' against Southern Illinois. And then...

Sept. 19 — APPALACHIAN STATE

Sept. 26 — @ Michigan

Oct. 3 — NOTRE DAME

Oct. 10 — MINNESOTA

---------------------

Iowa plays their entire crossover schedule, back-to-back-to-back:

Oct. 3 — MICHIGAN STATE

Oct. 10 — @ Ohio State

Oct. 17 — @ Penn State

They open with Indiana at Camp Randall. Then a 'breather' against Southern Illinois. And then...

Sept. 26 — @ Michigan

Oct. 3 — NOTRE DAME

Oct. 10 — MINNESOTA

---------------------

Oct. 3 — MICHIGAN STATE

Oct. 10 — @ Ohio State

Oct. 17 — @ Penn State

Wisconsin at least get 3 of 4 at home, makes a big difference compared to 3 of 5 on the road for Nebraska.

Sept. 26 — @ Michigan

Oct. 3 — NOTRE DAME

Oct. 10 — MINNESOTA

---------------------

Oct. 3 — MICHIGAN STATE

Oct. 10 — @ Ohio State

Oct. 17 — @ Penn State
I think I saw today that LSU beat 7 top 10 teams this year. That's impressive. If Nebraska pulls out 5 wins in those games, then I'll care.

Nebraska first 7 all seem winnable.
If they lose to Purdue to open though... oh boy.

Nebraska has no excuses. They should be dominating the Big Ten West with the talent that they have been amassing. They have been out-recruiting their Big Ten West counterparts.

Here is their recruiting class rankings the last five recruiting cycles:
2020 - 20
2019 - 18
2018 - 23
2017 - 23
2016 - 26

Furthermore, 247 Sports ranks them No. 24 in the country talent-wise with 20 4-Stars and 63 3-Stars. This is not counting the incoming 2020 Class.

It is all up to Scott Frost how he coaches his team. They can be real dangerous. They open up at home with Purdue followed by three non-conference games all at home. Their schedule is almost set up like the Gophers except for the Purdue game opener.

They have an easy schedule the first seven games. Their Bye Week is before the road game at Rutgers followed by their five toughest games:

Purdue - 9/5
Central Michigan 9/12
South Dakota State 9/19
Cincinnati - 9/26
At Northwestern - 10/3
Illinois - 10/10
BYE - 10/17
At Rutgers - 10/24
At Ohio State - 10/31
Penn State - 11/7
At Iowa - 11/14
At Wisconsin - 11/21
Minnesota - 11/27 FRIDAY

Nebraska has no excuses. They should be dominating the Big Ten West with the talent that they have been amassing. They have been out-recruiting their Big Ten West counterparts.

Here is their recruiting class rankings the last five recruiting cycles:
2020 - 20
2019 - 18
2018 - 23
2017 - 23
2016 - 26

Furthermore, 247 Sports ranks them No. 24 in the country talent-wise with 20 4-Stars and 63 3-Stars. This is not counting the incoming 2020 Class.

It is all up to Scott Frost how he coaches his team. They can be real dangerous. They open up at home with Purdue followed by three non-conference games all at home. Their schedule is almost set up like the Gophers except for the Purdue game opener.

They have an easy schedule the first seven games. Their Bye Week is before the road game at Rutgers followed by their five toughest games:

Purdue - 9/5 I want Broom to loose less than I want Frosty to lose.
Central Michigan 9/12 That's somewhere in the middle of Michigan, right?
South Dakota State 9/19 In a bounce back year, the Rabbits cornhole the cornholers.
Cincinnati - 9/26 The 2nd best team in Ohio beats one of the top 5-10 teams in Nebraska.
At Northwestern - 10/3 Fitz hands Scott a "frosty" postgame handshake after beating Nebraska.
Illinois - 10/10 After losing again, Frost says "Maybe I should grow a beard."
BYE - 10/17 Time to grow a beard
At Rutgers - 10/24 Robb Smith pitches a shutout and earns assistant coach of the week.
At Ohio State - 10/31 Nebraska contemplating moving to FCS after ESPN's Gameday laughed at the idea of going to this game again.
Penn State - 11/7 Nebraska joined the hazing lawsuit because they were humiliated publicly.
At Iowa - 11/14 Battle of the corn goes to the pigs.
At Wisconsin - 11/21 The corn mascot tried to throw a snowball at the "Welcome to Wisconsin" sign and missed.
Minnesota - 11/27 FRIDAY PJ Fleck says thank you for another bye.

The first thing that jumped out at me was the suggestion they'd be 7-0 before they hit the gauntlet that is the focus of the article. Even to suggest 7-0 is the most Nebraska thing of all. But, for fun, let's assume Nebraska does find a way to be 7-0, and they do so with mostly one score difference wins. Can you imagine the amount of "Nebraska is BACK!" material that would be written? It was about at 7-0 this season when the Gophers just began sniffing a ranking. Nebraska would probably be top 10 at that point and their fans would be ordering playoff tickets and tshirts.

The first thing that jumped out at me was the suggestion they'd be 7-0 before they hit the gauntlet that is the focus of the article. Even to suggest 7-0 is the most Nebraska thing of all. But, for fun, let's assume Nebraska does find a way to be 7-0, and they do so with mostly one score difference wins. Can you imagine the amount of "Nebraska is BACK!" material that would be written? It was about at 7-0 this season when the Gophers just began sniffing a ranking. Nebraska would probably be top 10 at that point and their fans would be ordering playoff tickets and tshirts.

Their fans would be insufferable if they get to 7-0. Media might be a little slower to come around after getting burned by Nebraska so badly last year. Some of the Frost mystique has been rubbed off, if they do end up struggling again next year it won't surprise me to see Nebraska fans calling for the head of their golden child head coach (I am sure some already are).

They are recruiting at a really high level on paper but that alone doesn't guarantee success. You need to get the right players as well. We proved first hand that the right players can beat higher rated players. Maybe it will all come together for Frost in spectacular fashion but they better rack up a lot of wins early next year because that final 5 game stretch is brutal. If they are not bowl eligible by the time that gauntlet starts they very well might end up missing a bowl game again.

from Omaha World Herald:

Unprecedented.

Welcome to playing in the Big Ten, Nebraska! Mason and other Gopher coaches have made this point repeatedly: a BT schedule will give you all the "degree of difficulty" you could ever want.

Agreed, When I saw the Nebraska schedule it looks to me like they will likely playing us on Black Friday hoping to become bowl eligible.

That's a beast mode stretch. One of the hidden challenges of being Nebraska - while we've been seeing Maryland every year for awhile, they have been seeing Ohio State. Next, it's Michigan every year for them. Nebraska was supposed to be the good team in the West, but it's actually a rotation of Minnesota, Northwestern, etc

LSU's 2019 was harder, as were a couple other SEC West teams who got particularly hard draws. Like Texas A&M who played the SEC West + Clemson.

You might want to check out the schedule LSU played in order to win this years national championship. Im pretty sure it was harder than the 72 Dolphins schedule.

Anyway.....

The Omaha newspaper wa just trying to brace the cult that the savior may not walk on water again this year. If they do get six wins they finally will get to A BOWL ! and all might be forgiven.
If it were not for the BTN $$$ NE might petition to go back to the Big 12.
Life was never so good as when they were in the North Division.
As to recruit rankings in real numbers there is no significant difference between #15 and #30.
247 is not measuring the speed of light.

You might want to check out the schedule LSU played in order to win this years national championship. Im pretty sure it was harder than the 72 Dolphins schedule.

Anyway.....
The '72 Dolphins only played 5 teams with winning records. (That's including their two playoff games and the Super Bowl).

Purdue - 9/5 I want Broom to loose less than I want Frosty to lose.
Central Michigan 9/12 That's somewhere in the middle of Michigan, right?
South Dakota State 9/19 In a bounce back year, the Rabbits cornhole the cornholers.
Cincinnati - 9/26 The 2nd best team in Ohio beats one of the top 5-10 teams in Nebraska.
At Northwestern - 10/3 Fitz hands Scott a "frosty" postgame handshake after beating Nebraska.
Illinois - 10/10 After losing again, Frost says "Maybe I should grow a beard."
BYE - 10/17 Time to grow a beard
At Rutgers - 10/24 Robb Smith pitches a shutout and earns assistant coach of the week.
At Ohio State - 10/31 Nebraska contemplating moving to FCS after ESPN's Gameday laughed at the idea of going to this game again.
Penn State - 11/7 Nebraska joined the hazing lawsuit because they were humiliated publicly.
At Iowa - 11/14 Battle of the corn goes to the pigs.
At Wisconsin - 11/21 The corn mascot tried to throw a snowball at the "Welcome to Wisconsin" sign and missed.
Minnesota - 11/27 FRIDAY PJ Fleck says thank you for another bye.
#MicDrop :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom