Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

There seems to be more 4* and high 3* than I remember in the past years on this recruiting class.

So many different stories on how scholorships work, I'm tired of it. I'm just going to let the staff figure it out. Meanwhile I'll just sit and pregame for next wed

That's really the best way to go whether or not you care to know the rules on scholarships. Frankly, it's confusing as hell and changes constantly. I have been, incorrectly, saying that ZA and Howden had to wait two years without counting against the 25. That's how it was for years, but it sounds like I was wrong and that changed. It's not the easiest thing to keep up with and the NCAA doesn't have a slick website to look up rules and such.

Even if we had the rules down perfectly, we're only dealing with half the basis of knowledge. We don't know which players are transferring, etc.

Every year, I just always assume we'll sign 25ish.

Nebraska is the only team in the west that landed better classes than the gophers both years, we out recruited Iowa and NW both years. Fleck is winning plenty of recruiting wars.

Right on. I appreciate you realists and glass half full types. What's the point of being a fan if you Debbie downer your way through it.
Things are definitely trending in the right direction. Even from that 2017 class that was thrown together very quickly, there have been some good performers (Autmann-Bell, Tanner, Morgan, Ibrahim to name a few).

Right on. I appreciate you realists and glass half full types. What's the point of being a fan if you Debbie downer your way through it.
Things are definitely trending in the right direction. Even from that 2017 class that was thrown together very quickly, there have been some good performers (Autmann-Bell, Tanner, Morgan, Ibrahim to name a few).

No doubt recruiting has improved. Hopefully it has improved enough to make us see better on-field results.

No doubt recruiting has improved. Hopefully it has improved enough to make us see better on-field results.

Fleck at least has us in the ball park of the type of classes that have been proven good enough to compete in the conference by teams like Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan St., if the gophers do not have more success it will be due to coaching, not recruiting in my opinion.

Demetrius Douglass has been a big contributor as well especially vs Wisconsin.

Fleck at least has us in the ball park of the type of classes that have been proven good enough to compete in the conference by teams like Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan St., if the gophers do not have more success it will be due to coaching, not recruiting in my opinion.
He has the talent coming in to compete for the West. To compete for CFP you need to trend into the top 5 or top 10 consistently in recruiting as a general rule.

He has the talent coming in to compete for the West. To compete for CFP you need to trend into the top 5 or top 10 consistently in recruiting as a general rule.

One step at a time. I would be thrilled to see us competing for the west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gophs have in the recent past, so for me, elevating means winning the West.

We beat the 2nd and 3rd place teams in the West and lost to the #1 team with numerous drops and turnovers.
We did this while missing some important players due to injury.
Maybe we contend in 2019.

I dont think we'll ever see the CFP in my lifetime

I would like to see rose bowl

Darwin Barlow, a RB from Texas, is committed to TCU but didn't sign early. He visited here this summer, and is listed as a High Choice for us in the 247 Targets page.

I've seen that name too, it doesn't really make sense to me.

That would give us, at least, 3 RBs.

PJ talked about Potts and Wiley like they'd be staying at RB. He has talked about giving Williamson a chance at RB (I don't know if that will stick or not), but that would bring us to 3-4 RBs in this class. Seems like a lot.

PJ talked about Potts and Wiley like they'd be staying at RB. He has talked about giving Williamson a chance at RB (I don't know if that will stick or not), but that would bring us to 3-4 RBs in this class. Seems like a lot.

Potts may be more of a slot type guy. And who knows where Williamson will end up. Kind of goes back to Kill's philosophy of recruiting athletes and having position flexibility.

Do we have 3 RBs in this class, or zero? I have no idea and rated this group a C. Which is maybe being generous. They are going to give Williamson a shot, but I would bet he ends up on defense. Wiley is a tremendous athlete, but he also seems better fitted to strong safety or OLB. Potts seems a little Berkley Edwardsish to me. A role player with some speed who could run jet sweeps or catch some screen passes, but I don't see him as a guy that can handle 20 carries a game in the B1G or run between the tackles consistently. For all of Fleck's success recruiting, he is still searching for a big-time back that is the equivalent of at least Rodney or Shannon.

Do we have 3 RBs in this class, or zero? I have no idea and rated this group a C. Which is maybe being generous. They are going to give Williamson a shot, but I would bet he ends up on defense. Wiley is a tremendous athlete, but he also seems better fitted to strong safety or OLB. Potts seems a little Berkley Edwardsish to me. A role player with some speed who could run jet sweeps or catch some screen passes, but I don't see him as a guy that can handle 20 carries a game in the B1G or run between the tackles consistently. For all of Fleck's success recruiting, he is still searching for a big-time back that is the equivalent of at least Rodney or Shannon.

You hit the nail on the head here.

I'd say we have ~1.5.

I think Potts stays on offense and he probably isn't an every down back.
I think there is about a 50/50 chance Wiley stays on offense.
I think there is about an 80/20 chance Williamson moves to defense.

I don't really know what Berkley Edwardsish means. He'll run only jet sweeps? Edwards caught three passes his entire time at MN. Potts could end up more like a KJ Maye - - took some carries, transitioned to a slot receiver, eventually became our #1 target. Berkley Edwards was a RB. He didn't pan out, but that doesn't mean he was anything other than a RB.

We also have 2 productive SOs and another FR that staff seemed to like (Edmonds).

As far as Fleck not recruiting a RB as good as Smith or Brooks. That's kind of tough. I mean Ibrahim had a fantastic FR season - - as good, if not better than either Brooks or Smith. Bryce Williams also had a decent FR season. I agree that he seems like a step down from Brooks/Smith.

Ibrahim certainly is on the same trajectory as Brooks/Smith at RB.

I'd say we have ~1.5.

I don't really know what Berkley Edwardsish means. He'll run only jet sweeps? Edwards caught three passes his entire time at MN. Potts could end up more like a KJ Maye - - took some carries, transitioned to a slot receiver, eventually became our #1 target. Berkley Edwards was a RB. He didn't pan out, but that doesn't mean he was anything other than a RB.

We also have 2 productive SOs and another FR that staff seemed to like (Edmonds).

As far as Fleck not recruiting a RB as good as Smith or Brooks. That's kind of tough. I mean Ibrahim had a fantastic FR season - - as good, if not better than either Brooks or Smith. Bryce Williams also had a decent FR season. I agree that he seems like a step down from Brooks/Smith.

Yeah I don’t understand the feeling that Ibrahim is worse then Brooks and Smith, his stats are just as good. Plus we don’t really know what Edmonds or Williams can become.

Wiley I don't know much about

Williamson is like an Eddie George type
Potts is Darren Sproles

Yeah I don’t understand the feeling that Ibrahim is worse then Brooks and Smith, his stats are just as good. Plus we don’t really know what Edmonds or Williams can become.

Bryce Williams looked much improved as he was running by pursuing Wisconsin defenders in the last game I watched.

Mo Ibrahim doesn't have the explosive tackle breaking ability of Shannon Brooks, but he might have the longevity.
Brooks is one of my favorite players to watch, but staying healthy has always been a concern.
Edmonds we haven't seen. Seems as if the idea was for him to sit out this year no matter what. Maybe they want to bulk him up some.

I'd say we have ~1.5.

I don’t think PJ got the RB he ideally wanted in this class. That’s why Barlow would still make sense. Williamson and Wiley can play on defense, and Fleck gets the RB recruit who was one of his primary targets this summer.

I'd say we have ~1.5.

Still getting over his big drop at the Citrus...

I'd say we have ~1.5.

I think the staff wanted to throw the ball to Berkeley to take advantage of his speed, but he couldn’t catch. If he had 3 catches, he probably had 6 drops.

I do agree that we don't really know what we have with these RBs, and Trey Potts is the only one that I really have any excitement for. However I'm not sure that it really matters since we have Rodney and Shannon back for another year (plus Ibrahim and maybe a Bryce Williams RS?). To say he is still searching for a back equivalent to Rodney and Shannon doesn't really make sense considering neither Rodney or Shannon were rated very highly, and both of them hardly had any P5 offers if they had them at all. I would probably rank the 3 RB signees as a C though as they aren't overly exciting.

I like the comparison of Potts to KJ Maye. KJ developed into a very productive player, with a knack for making plays at key moments of the game. If Potts can become that type of a player - primarily a slot receiver who can run the occasional jet sweep or reverse, I will take that. Catching a 9-yard pass on 3rd-and-8 may not show up on the highlight reel, but it can make a difference between winning or losing a game.

(that is assuming you don't throw a 5-yard pass on 3rd-and-8. please, let those days be behind us. you too, Kirk Cousins.....)

I don’t think PJ got the RB he ideally wanted in this class. That’s why Barlow would still make sense. Williamson and Wiley can play on defense, and Fleck gets the RB recruit who was one of his primary targets this summer.

So we still have a fighting change on Barlow? I thought that ship sailed long ago, but I now see he hasn't signed yet. Interesting.

Its weird that people don't give Mo much credit. He had more yards as a freshman than everyone not named Maroney - and he missed 2-3 games! I think its way too early to say he won't be as good as Rodney or Shannon.

So we still have a fighting change on Barlow? I thought that ship sailed long ago, but I now see he hasn't signed yet. Interesting.

I have no idea how realistic it is, just saying that it would still make sense. Barlow, Doerue and Brock appeared to be our top RB targets from this past summer.

Its weird that people don't give Mo much credit. He had more yards as a freshman than everyone not named Maroney - and he missed 2-3 games! I think its way too early to say he won't be as good as Rodney or Shannon.

Agreed and one has to take into account that he got dinged at the end of this long run in the opener, which might have had a lingering effect. He's not a burner, but he looked to have pretty good vision and patience and he's really strong.

Top Bottom