Annexstad Named Starting QB for NMSU Game

Was Zack even at IMG for the 2016 season??

Now, maybe this supposed conversation only occurred with Claeys staff about Brock, in 2016. That I might buy. Seems like this guys is stretching the truth as far as he possibly can muster.

My understanding is he started at Mankato West as a sophomore but then got hurt, transferred to IMG but didn't play much as a junior. His bio on gophersports would confirm that.

HIGH SCHOOL: Attended IMG Academy in Brandenton, Fla. • wore No. 18 for the Ascenders • as a senior, completed 63-of-112 passes for 940 yards and 10 touchdowns, as he helped lead IMG Academy to an undefeated season • finished career with 1,137 passing yards and 14 touchdownswas the starting quarterback at Mankato West as a sophomore in 2015, but was sidelined by an ankle injury • three-star recruit by 247Sports • the No. 45 ranked pro-style quarterback and No. 214 overall recruit in Florida by 247Sports • enrolled at Minnesota in January 2018.

https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1046

Since it's going to be four or five years, might as well get it right. It's "Zack" not "Zach". Good thing we've got NMSU for our first game, sure wish we didn't have Fresno for our second.

Yup. Spelled just like a 6-year-old would spell it.

Seems like your trying to put a lot of heavy weight on Fleck for missing on one of his three QB's like it was failing on a NFL first round draft pick who ends up being a bust.

It was a miss, but how big of an impact is that miss if Zack ends up being a serviceable starter with better passing stats than we anticipated from VV?

All recruits are Fleck's bets. Handy Holly who left as well as all of the guys who are still here.
Are we going to compare how many misses other coaches here had and use that as a frame of reference or are we just going to try and trash Fleck for misses and misses only?

For all we know, Fleck might have had ZA and TM ranked the same as VV but wanted a more experienced starter this year. Is that even plausible?

Also, regarding Vic, is it better that he bailed or would it have been better if Fleck "missed" by "less" and he would still be our #2 or #3 right now?
I think Fleck being decisive with his miss and moving on is probably a good thing.

You’re correct on that viewpoint. Appreciate the checks and balances.

We’d be worse off probably with VV as the starter, probably.

Rather, what i was trying to say is that Fleck was supposed to spend a scholarship in the 2018 class (out of 25) to bring in a solid QB transfer who could serve as a bridge starter for a couple years. VV was rated well and supposed to be that guy. Fleck thought so too. Maybe there was no one else ... but it just didn’t work. We tried.

You’re correct on that viewpoint. Appreciate the checks and balances.

We’d be worse off probably with VV as the starter, probably.

Rather, what i was trying to say is that Fleck was supposed to spend a scholarship in the 2018 class (out of 25) to bring in a solid QB transfer who could serve as a bridge starter for a couple years. VV was rated well and supposed to be that guy. Fleck thought so too. Maybe there was no one else ... but it just didn’t work. We tried.

Depends what you want the goal to be as well, right?
If the goal is to win as many games as possible this year, missing on VV is huge because you perceive a soph / junior to be better than a freshman, and now we're starting a freshman.

If the goal is to make a push for the Rose Bowl in 2021, identifying a QB who lacks what you need and letting him go and opting for a freshman who "might" have enough to get your there is the right move.
Of course, while you have that goal for 2021, (or 2020 or 2019) you are still constantly looking for the next best option (the two 2019 QB recruits and any other high profile QB's for 2020 that could also fight for the job in 2020 and 2021). Issue of course being, you don't know who you are going to land, if they will stay healthy, and if they will fit and improve, so your basically casting a net hoping to bring in a few big fish.

I think a bigger question can be choosing the right fish you've already caught. When we had Mitch as QB, I think several fans felt we had a nicer fish available but coaches stuck with what we had.

I didn't read through all 13 pages so maybe this was covered, but how does Zack relate to the Annexstad Family Foundation? Or does he? It doesn't seem to be his grandparents but it also is based in the Mankato/MN area so it would be a heck of a coincidence if he wasn't. Looks like a really nice scholarship program they have established.

Randomly, it sponsors a major scholarship at my former high school in the U.P. of Michigan because the foundation director went there as well. Small world.

Zack and Brock are Sam Dekker's cousin who played forward for Wisconsin. Their dad Scott played for the Gophers and the Kansas City Chiefs.

From Baker Mayfield's wikipedia page, so I'm not entirely sure of the accuracy:

Shortly before the start of the 2013 season, Mayfield was named as the starting quarterback following a back injury of projected starter and former Lake Travis quarterback Michael Brewer.[6] Mayfield is believed to be the first walk-on true freshman quarterback to start a season opener at the quarterback position.[7]

Zack is in rare territory, which means he's destined to lead us to a Rose Bowl and be the #1 overall pick by the time he's done. ;)

This will be the best news ever if it does happen! I like the smell of roses. :drink:

His HS stats aren't as glaring as Baker Mayfield's, but he sure looks like he's got the "IT Factor".

He is no Baker Mayfield. He is a determined QB who loves competition. Just the idea of his leaving a sure thing at Mankato to compete among the very best at IMG Academy and eventually beating out a 4-Star QB sold me on him.

Last edited:

Evidently Zack is the 2nd only next to Baker.

Nice thing is we are giving him throwing options with 4 WR's with potential and a possible TE with athleticism and a senior RB who is looking to catch more out of the backfield.

Evidently Zack is the 2nd only next to Baker.

Nice thing is we are giving him throwing options with 4 WR's with potential and a possible TE with athleticism and a senior RB who is looking to catch more out of the backfield.

Looking for Rodney to repeat or better his 2016 season. Top 1,200 on the ground and have around 30 grabs for 250+. If Annexstad can AVG around 175/game in the air, be close to 60%, and take care of the ball, it should be a fun year.

We finally have the real Mankato Jesus with credible non-P5-leftover pass catchers plus Rodney Smith and crew. Now, we need the much improved Offensive Line to gel and improve.

I picked the Gophers to finish anywhere between 4-8 to 8-4 depending on how fast Zack Annexstad takes command of the offense. This is a "learning" year for the whole team under the PJ Fleck system.

What impresses me the most about him in the Spring Game and in practice is his leadership and command of the offense:

He sees and scans the field well, reads the defense quickly;
His eyes are always looking downfield for a long threat;
Communicates constantly with the WRs after just about every play;
Distributes the passes to multiple catchers;
Is an accurate thrower who can throw the long bomb;
Is a credible run threat.

Finally, he throws a nice tight spiral. :eek:

What a great kid with a great attitude. I am happy that the Gophers got him.

Last edited:

I hope Zack does really well.

At the same time just to show how crazy QB hype trains can be I kinda wish Morgan would somehow get the spot later and turn out to be the next Joe Young or something.... just to show how wild the fan QB hype train can be ;)

I think this question bears repeating:

if ZA was always the real deal, beat out the IMG guy last year, "almost beat out" the Texas A&M guy two years ago ........ why didn't Fleck offer him a scholarship?? ZA was a 3*/0.835 by 247 https://247sports.com/Player/Zack-Annexstad-84892//high-school-147021

Maybe because he didn't have to?

And I don't think many / any coaches KNOW who will be a great QB, if they did Carson Wentz wouldn't have been at North Dakota and so on. QBs are a crap shoot.

if ZA was always the real deal, beat out the IMG guy last year, "almost beat out" the Texas A&M guy two years ago ........ why didn't Fleck offer him a scholarship?? ZA was a 3*/0.835 by 247 https://247sports.com/Player/Zack-Annexstad-84892//high-school-147021

This is a point you have continually come back to, and I admit to being baffled by your persistence.

1. Are you angry that he didn't offer ZA a scholarship? If so, why? Why would that bother you?
2. Do you view it as some kind of evaluative shortcoming? I don't understand that viewpoint either, because Fleck recruited ZA to the U. He wanted him as a player.
3. Do you not see the benefit of convincing a player to walk on and use the extra scholarship on another recruit?

But...there's a dead horse lying there by the side of the road. Pick up your club and keep beating, I guess.

PJ "Hey Mr Annexstead, I really like Zach but I'm in a bind on scholies for this class, If I offer him one, I can only take one of the two IMG lineman that want to come, any chance he'd walk on and wait for a scholie later and maybe I can work a little something something for Brock?"

Add in a healthy dose of "I think he'd have an opportunity here to have a chance to start right away" Which is technically true but parents/players hear this but understand it to mean "he will start right away"

Also possible that that offer came from Mr Annexstead as an alum and a person of means who could HELP his son's future football team by keeping an additional scholarship open.

That's all conjecture. But reasonable reasons why he would not have offered. Bottom line, coach should NOT offer a scholarship to a player willing to come in as a walk on, regardless of WHY that is.

Maybe because he didn't have to?

What do you mean?? ZA went to Fleck and said "Coach, I'm so desperate to play at Minnesota, that I want to commit to you right now as a PWO" ???

He had offers from Illinois, Cincy, and some others ...

That's all conjecture. But reasonable reasons why he would not have offered. Bottom line, coach should NOT offer a scholarship to a player willing to come in as a walk on, regardless of WHY that is.

To me, that's like saying "Look, no one should actually pay money out of their own pocket for a new car, if the dealership is just going to give one away to you for free".

Well ... sure, I guess. But that never happens! Never happens to me, anyway :(

This is a point you have continually come back to, and I admit to being baffled by your persistence.

1. Are you angry that he didn't offer ZA a scholarship? If so, why? Why would that bother you?
2. Do you view it as some kind of evaluative shortcoming? I don't understand that viewpoint either, because Fleck recruited ZA to the U. He wanted him as a player.
3. Do you not see the benefit of convincing a player to walk on and use the extra scholarship on another recruit?

But...there's a dead horse lying there by the side of the road. Pick up your club and keep beating, I guess.

Yeah....

To me, that's like saying "Look, no one should actually pay money out of their own pocket for a new car, if the dealership is just going to give one away to you for free".

Well ... sure, I guess. But that never happens! Never happens to me, anyway :(

That's a terrible analogy and now feels like your just trolling your point. There are plenty of parallels in sports (NBA) where players take less than they are worth in order to allow the team to be better.

I'm frankly shocked that PJ hasn't had to defend this point, already. How can it be that no one has pressed him on this?

Reporters, if you read this site for ideas .... ask him that! "Coach ... how is it possible that your best QB recruit thus far in your recruiting tenure, came here and you didn't even offer him a scholarship??"

I would like to hear the words out of PJ's mouth on that one. Hopefully wouldn't be gobbledygook, hope he has an honest answer.

For the record, I don't think anything dirty happened. Highly doubt it. I'm just plain ol' curious. Morbidly curious. This type of thing, usually, doesn't happen ... kids, good players, usually just don't throw themselves at you for free ...

That's a terrible analogy and now feels like your just trolling your point. There are plenty of parallels in sports (NBA) where players take less than they are worth in order to allow the team to be better.

It was a spot on analogy. You're just saying that because you can't think of a good answer. When in doubt, call someone a troll. Message board MO.

NBA analogy would not be to take less to stay on a good team .... it would be to play for free! Doesn't happen.

What do you mean?? ZA went to Fleck and said "Coach, I'm so desperate to play at Minnesota, that I want to commit to you right now as a PWO" ???

He had offers from Illinois, Cincy, and some others ...

I have no idea what / if anything was said.

But he pretty obviously didn't have to offer him to come here ..... because that's how it is .... :confused:

I have no idea what / if anything was said.

But he pretty obviously didn't have to offer him to come here ..... because that's how it is .... :confused:

I never said that wasn't the case, and I never said that I think that's wrong to do. I'm also not suggesting PJ should have turned him down or said something like "I appreciate the offer, but I only want you here if I have a scholly to give you". No. None of that.

I'm just CURIOUS about it. I think it's a rare thing. But everyone else here seems to be acting like this: "holy crap! This actually happened! Let's all scurry away as fast as we can, and never talk about it, or else it might un-happen somehow".

It was a spot on analogy. You're just saying that because you can't think of a good answer. When in doubt, call someone a troll. Message board MO.

NBA analogy would not be to take less to stay on a good team .... it would be to play for free! Doesn't happen.

NBA athletes, take MILLIONS less to be on a better team. ZA ( and his family which includes a professional athlete of means ) are potentially taking $30K less for two years to make the team better. BTW their other kid just got his bill lowered 30K for three years, so it's actually a net positive to the family which is who pays the bills unless you think ZA is breaking his piggy bank open to write tuition checks.

Last edited:

I never said that wasn't the case, and I never said that I think that's wrong to do. I'm also not suggesting PJ should have turned him down or said something like "I appreciate the offer, but I only want you here if I have a scholly to give you". No. None of that.

I'm just CURIOUS about it. I think it's a rare thing.

It's a rare thing here, but at other schools (better at football recently) guys with offers elsewhere walk on.

If a kid likes a place and wants to take their shot at that school, it happens.

His brother got a scholarship and PJ likes him, usually there are talks with the family about guys like that so I'm sure a lot of them are are on the same page.

I'm just CURIOUS about it. I think it's a rare thing. But everyone else here seems to be acting like this: "holy crap! This actually happened! Let's all scurry away as fast as we can, and never talk about it, or else it might un-happen somehow".

Which previously banned user are you?

NBA athletes, take MILLIONS less to be on a better team. ZA ( and his family which includes a professional athletes of means ) are potentially taking $30K less for two years to make the team better. BTW their other kid just got his bill lowered 30K for three years, so it's actually a net positive to the family which is who pays the bills unless you think ZA is breaking his piggy bank open to write tuition checks.

Brock's scholly is irrelevant to the discussion, because it happened AFTER ZA chose to walk-on. UNLESS that was always part of the "the deal".

You're trying to compare apples to oranges. Taking $8million instead of $10million, to stay on a team, is not an applicable analogy to getting a full scholly versus being a walkon.

Like I was telling slab, I don't think anything dirty happened. Not at all. It really could be just that ZA really wanted to play here and approached Fleck about being a walkon. That could be the whole thing, right there. I just want to know, if that was the case. Or otherwise, want someone to ask PJ and ZA why and how it came about.

I have to believe this avenue of questioning will be explored by the media. So I hope they are prepared to answer it.

Which previously banned user are you?

I'll answer that right after you tell me which previously banned user you are.

"Hey guys! This guy over here is posting too many times and asking hard questions about stuff that we don't like! Let's all gang up on him, call him a troll, and accuse him of being a banned poster!"

Top Bottom