Jake Depue: Gophers notebook: Injuries continue to hamstring Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jake:

As Minnesota’s once-promising season continues to spiral downward, there are a number of reasons we can point to for their rapid demise. Without question, though, the number one culprit for the Gophers’ collapse is injuries.

Outside of Reggie Lynch—whose college career is very likely over for well-documented reasons—every player in their top six has dealt with injuries of varying degree. An injury bug that widespread would impact any team negatively, but for a top-heavy Minnesota squad, it’s been particularly damaging.

Eric Curry’s absence has been written about all season. Curry would have served as the sixth man on what’s turned out to be a very thin bench, but after tearing his ACL over the summer, he’s missing the season. The rest of the team now resembles a MASH unit, with Minnesota’s four primary scorers playing hurt.

Dupree McBrayer’s stress reaction in his leg is so bad that he hasn’t been practicing and wears a walking boot between games. In Tuesday’s loss to Northwestern, he landed hard on the leg and had to be helped off the floor. That he returned in the second half and played through obvious pain is a testament to his toughness, but he clearly lacks the explosiveness he typically displays. Amir Coffey missed five games with a shoulder injury—during which the Gophers went 1-4—and also isn’t practicing as he continues to rehab, returning ahead of schedule Saturday to try to help the team. Nate Mason injured his ankle on December 23 against FAU, and missed the ensuing Harvard game. A couple of times this season, most notably against Maryland, he also appeared to have aggravated the hip injury he suffered in the NCAA tournament last year that required surgery, but continues to gut it out during his senior year. Like McBrayer, Mason’s displaying a lot of toughness, but clearly isn’t 100%. He’s still putting up big numbers offensively, but has struggled at times keeping up with quick point guards. Until Saturday, Jordan Murphy was the one Gopher who appeared immune to the injury bug, but he turned his ankle at Madison Square Garden and had to be helped off the floor, though he did return a few minutes later.

Add it all up and you have two players who are out (Lynch, Curry), two who aren’t practicing (Coffey, McBrayer), and two who are playing through pain (Mason, Murphy). Those six are essentially their entire team, in terms of meaningful productivity. Only the bench has been relatively injury free. Lynch’s issues are separate, but it’s fair to say that the confluence of injuries is extraordinarily bad luck, and has forced Richard Pitino to practice with a depleted team as he tries to nurse them back to health.

The rash of injuries would be bad at any time, but it’s struck at arguably the worst time of the season. Minnesota just finished a stretch in which they played five games in eleven days, including a week-long three game east coast road trip. It’s certainly not shocking they went 1-4 during that stretch.

A deeper dive into those five games reveals that Minnesota generally stayed competitive through the first half, before fading late. Against Maryland, they led by three early in the second half, before being outscored 48-34 to close the game. Against Ohio State, they opened up a 20-10 lead to start the game, and trailed by just seven at the half, but scored just 18 second half points in a blowout loss. Against Northwestern, they led by 10 in the first half and 5 with 15 minutes left in the second, then got outscored 34-21 to close the game.

“We’re obviously undermanned,” said Pitino after the Northwestern game. “And we got tired and we wore down.”

http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2018/01/gophers-notebook-injuries-continue-cripple-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

Very good article, highlighting something that SHOULD have been obvious to almost any and every diehard Gopher fans.

But apparently laziness of mind, maybe? The normal negative mindset of the average Minnesota sports fan maybe? They want so much to have a simple easy solution, a bad guy to blame, that its far easier to just blame the coach, than it is to accept that possibly its not his fault, or anyone's really. Injuries happen, that's life. When multiple injuries happen, including season ending ones like Curry's, well then it makes things tougher.

Lack of a supposedly vital Defensive focused Team identity MAY BE an issue, true. But its honestly hard to make an accurate assessment about that without a full lineup of healthy players for the Coach to have at his disposal. Even back to last year, we lost arguably our best defensive player in Springs and then lost 2 important games without him. If our guys are playing injured, maybe THAT has more to do with their inability to play great defense than the Coach being a bad coach, supposedly.

So playing short handed and injured, is it honestly reasonable to expect stellar defense? I'll admit that might just be an excuse made in an effort to defend the coach. So hopefully for everyone's sake, the entire lineup stays healthy for at least the vast majority of next season so we can make a better assessment of Pitino's recruiting and coaching abilities.

I'd love to see all the critics of Pitino out there put in his place, to see if they are just full of hot air or could actually deliver. Thing is, Pitino is ACTUALLY a Div 1 cbb coach, and they are just armchair QBs sitting at home, acting like they'd be so much better, and probably convince themselves or DELUDE themselves into believing their own reasons or excuses for why they are not actually a Div 1 cbb coach.

It's SO easy for the armchair QB to 2nd guess the coach, because none of them would have recruited either Gaston or Konate, or brought in Reggie Lynch or 1 or 2 other questionable guys, and all of them would have the team playing incredible defense and who knows, maybe they all believe that they would have been able to convince some of the guys Pitino couldn't, to come here, oh, and they would not have missed some of the guys he missed, because, I don't know, they are such cbb geniuses, and why they are just armchair QBs of course, lol.

This team wasn’t playing lock down defense early in the season when every one was healthy. They did play very well during certain stretches (first half vs Alabama) - the bench has not stepped up and several of them have had several opportunities to earn more playing time. I wish the bench was better and there were less injury issues( the lack of bench minutes contributes to starter fatigue > injuries. This is a lost year and I’m looking forward to next year with a more balanced team (hopefully)

This team wasn’t playing lock down defense early in the season when every one was healthy. They did play very well during certain stretches (first half vs Alabama) - the bench has not stepped up and several of them have had several opportunities to earn more playing time. I wish the bench was better and there were less injury issues( the lack of bench minutes contributes to starter fatigue > injuries. This is a lost year and I’m looking forward to next year with a more balanced team (hopefully)

You mean everyone except Curry, oh and Dupree possibly?

Outside of the games Dupree was injured that we lost, weren't we almost leading the conf in scoring?

Not justifying less than stellar defense, but sometimes teams that score a lot and win a lot, don't worry so much about defense? And not trying to start up an argument, just pointing out that, and forgive me I am old with short term memory not the best, we were scoring a lot of points and I thought I remember Dupree being injured or out for all or most of our non-conf games and possibly our loss to Nebraska, too?

So that would be TWO injured players for those games. And when was Mason first dinged up this season, in December?

You mean everyone except Curry, oh and Dupree possibly?

Outside of the games Dupree was injured that we lost, weren't we almost leading the conf in scoring?

Not justifying less than stellar defense, but sometimes teams that score a lot and win a lot, don't worry so much about defense? And not trying to start up an argument, just pointing out that, and forgive me I am old with short term memory not the best, we were scoring a lot of points and I thought I remember Dupree being injured or out for all or most of our non-conf games and possibly our loss to Nebraska, too?

So that would be TWO injured players for those games. And when was Mason first dinged up this season, in December?

Injuries have played a large part but lock down defense pays off always, especially on days when you shoot poorly. Also you do not take down teams with better talent by engaging in a style of high points. You must hold them down. If you can out recruit them fine but you will not. Look at previous history of how programs were built. The ones that ended up with sustainable success built it with defense.

Injuries have played a large part but lock down defense pays off always, especially on days when you shoot poorly. Also you do not take down teams with better talent by engaging in a style of high points. You must hold them down. If you can out recruit them fine but you will not. Look at previous history of how programs were built. The ones that ended up with sustainable success built it with defense.

That is fine in theory. But these young men, and I'm talking the VAST majority of them, want to score points and get lots of rebounds and sometimes lots of blocks and make a name for themselves. Who are these kids who love defense so much and could care less about their stats?

Teams that are known for great defense and have sustained success worked hard to get there. Coaches at schools that couldn't otherwise out recruit their opposition and admins and fan bases patient enough to endure that, like Wisconsin, OVER TIME, took in players others didn't want, who were far more willing to be coached and to go along with a defense minded game plan, can build something like that. Yet they still have yet to win a Natl Title, right?

A program like Minnesota, with a large percentage of the fan base that still remembers Musselman's pre-game stuff, or Haskin's teams, isn't patient enough to sit around and wait for a new coach to come in and work hard for years building up a program based solely on defense.

Lets look at Wisconsin. Bennett went 3-13 in his 3rd season. Remind you of anyone?, 8-8 in conference in his 5th season meant he only had TWO seasons over .500 in conference play in his first 5 seasons at Wisconsin, he was 6 games under .500 in his career at Wisc in conference play. And I bet he didn't have all of his Top 6 players in year 5 go down for the season or a small portion of it with injuries, many playing injured when in games? But a FLUKE run to the FF that year all of a sudden makes him a legend?

Then comes Bo Ryan. Do you think Gopher fans are willing to wait to Year 13 for a coach to finally get them to the Final Four? 13 regular seasons of enduring his boring brand of bb??? I just don't see it.

He had 3 Conf Titles and 7 Top 4 conf finishes in just his first 7 years, that resulted in just 1 Elite 8 appearance.

What do we want, conference success or NCAA success?

I'm not saying Pitino shouldn't try to improve our defense, just all this talk about how its the most important starting block EVER seems like far too many Gopher fans have let their jealous hatred of Wisconsin become a repressed jealous coveting. We are not Wisconsin, we never will be, and we shouldn't lower ourselves to the point of trying to copy them as a way of trying to be more successful.

The high flying Musselman teams are the ones that filled the Barn and put UMn up to #1 in national attendance back in the day. Granted they were great players and probably played better defense than our guys are right now. But our guys are hobbled. Maybe cut them a break? Wait until next year to start ragging on Pitino for not getting them to play defense, IF he doesn't get them to.

A program like Minnesota, with a large percentage of the fan base that still remembers Musselman's pre-game stuff, or Haskin's teams, isn't patient enough to sit around and wait for a new coach to come in and work hard for years building up a program based solely on defense.
If UMN wanted a defensive guru they would have kept Coach Molinari.

Bennett took his first recruiting class to the final 4. That was a loaded Big Ten, makes the present a laughingstock. He set the table with Kirk Penney, Mike Wilkinson, Devin Harris and alando Tucker, all recruited pre Ryan. Ryan did a tremendous job building on that foundation but the culture was ingrained. Bennett scheduled tough. Bennett ran it clean. Your foolish to use Molinari and Bennett in any context. Bob Knight and Al mcguire and John Wooden recommended Bennett for the job.
He invented the packline defense that his son uses to historic efficiency to win. National Titles ! We gopher fans would die for a final 4 trip that we did not have to cheat for. We would die for things equal to multiple ACC titles, national scholars, players that win and become lawyers, doctors , human rights activists and NBA players. We would pack Williams, i have been a Gopher season ticket holder since 1968. National title ! What about a 5 year run through the ACC that now has a 7 game win lead over UNC and 8 over Duke, Duke ! Complete destruction of Louisville. Do some research and over the years they have had a very efficient offense. Fans here would be scalping record ticket prices for that product.

that his son uses to historic efficiency to win. National Titles ! We gopher fans would die for a final 4 trip that we did not have to cheat for. We would die for things equal to multiple ACC titles, national scholars, players that win and become lawyers, doctors , human rights activists and NBA players. We would pack Williams, i have been a Gopher season ticket holder since 1968. National title ! What about a 5 year run through the ACC that now has a 7 game win lead over UNC and 8 over Duke, Duke ! Complete destruction of Louisville. Do some research and over the years they have had a very efficient offense. Fans here would be scalping record ticket prices for that product.[/QUOTE]

Let me get this straight? You are claiming that Dick Bennett's son has led Virginia to Natl Titles??

Um, sorry, but Virginia, since Bennett has been there, has been to TWO Sweet 16s and 1 Elite 8, ZERO Final Fours and has won ZERO Natl Titles.

Like I said, do we want to win Conf Titles, or get to FFs and win Natl Titles? And ENJOY watching them do it??

Cbb fans at CBS sports forum poke fun of Virginia bb, just like they poked fun of Wisconsin bb.

Not dissing those programs ability to win lots of games. Just questioning whether Minnesota bb fans want to have to endure watching that kind of basketball, and having to wait maybe decades before that style of basketball ever breaks through to win a Natl Title.

Wisconsin has ZERO. Virginia, since Bennett showed up as ZERO Final Fours, much less titles.

And you bragged up Dick Bennett's 1st recruiting class???

He went 7-9 in his 1st season at Wisconsin. 8-10 fairly comparable to Pitino.
He went 10-6 in his 2nd season at Wisconsin. 6-12 not sure why Bennett spiked then dropped so?
He went 3-13 in his 3rd season at Wisconsin. 2-16 Remind you of anyone?
He went 9-7 in his 4th season at Wisconsin. 11-7 Compare to Pitino - P did better with his 1st class.
He went 8-8 in his 5th season at Wisconsin. SERIOUSLY believe P would have done better than 8-8...

had Curry not gone down, then McBreyer temporarily, then Mason temporily, then Lynch permanently, then Coffey temporarily, then Murphy temporarily. How many guys done for the year? 2, how many guys not even able to practice? 2. How many guys practicing, but not at 100% 2

That's all 6 of our main guys.

Compared to Bennett, at least in conference games, Pitino was set to come close to matching Bennett's first 5 years. Only real difference would be their 2nd seasons. And then of course, the FLUKE Badger team that went 8-8 in conference, and somehow made a crazy run to the Final Four.

But going into this season, before we knew Curry was out, there were people talking possible Final Four for this years team.

I mean, just to be fair, you can't hardly hold this season against Pitino. Bennett wouldn't have been able to do much more with this lineup with all of the injuries its dealt with. That's my opinion, I'm sure some will disagree and that is there right and I won't say they are idiots or anything else for feeling differently. I'm open to the idea that maybe someone like Bennett could win more games with this bunch than Pitino. But I just don't want to have our bb team turn into the next Wisconsin or Virginia, its boring basketball and it hasn't proven yet that it can win Championships, and I mean NATL Championships, or should I say DIVISION ONE Natl Championships.

that his son uses to historic efficiency to win. National Titles ! We gopher fans would die for a final 4 trip that we did not have to cheat for. We would die for things equal to multiple ACC titles, national scholars, players that win and become lawyers, doctors , human rights activists and NBA players. We would pack Williams, i have been a Gopher season ticket holder since 1968. National title ! What about a 5 year run through the ACC that now has a 7 game win lead over UNC and 8 over Duke, Duke ! Complete destruction of Louisville. Do some research and over the years they have had a very efficient offense. Fans here would be scalping record ticket prices for that product.

Let me get this straight? You are claiming that Dick Bennett's son has led Virginia to Natl Titles??

Um, sorry, but Virginia, since Bennett has been there, has been to TWO Sweet 16s and 1 Elite 8, ZERO Final Fours and has won ZERO Natl Titles.

Like I said, do we want to win Conf Titles, or get to FFs and win Natl Titles? And ENJOY watching them do it??

Cbb fans at CBS sports forum poke fun of Virginia bb, just like they poked fun of Wisconsin bb.

Not dissing those programs ability to win lots of games. Just questioning whether Minnesota bb fans want to have to endure watching that kind of basketball, and having to wait maybe decades before that style of basketball ever breaks through to win a Natl Title.

Wisconsin has ZERO. Virginia, since Bennett showed up as ZERO Final Fours, much less titles.

He went 10-6 in his 2nd season at Wisconsin. 6-12 not sure why Bennett spiked then dropped so?
He went 9-7 in his 4th season at Wisconsin. 11-7 Compare to Pitino - P did better with his 1st class.
He went 8-8 in his 5th season at Wisconsin. SERIOUSLY believe P would have done better than 8-8...

had Curry not gone down, then McBreyer temporarily, then Mason temporily, then Lynch permanently, then Coffey temporarily, then Murphy temporarily. How many guys done for the year? 2, how many guys not even able to practice? 2. How many guys practicing, but not at 100% 2

Compared to Bennett, at least in conference games, Pitino was set to come close to matching Bennett's first 5 years. Only real difference would be their 2nd seasons. And then of course, the FLUKE Badger team that went 8-8 in conference, and somehow made a crazy run to the Final Four.

But going into this season, before we knew Curry was out, there were people talking possible Final Four for this years team.

I mean, just to be fair, you can't hardly hold this season against Pitino. Bennett wouldn't have been able to do much more with this lineup with all of the injuries its dealt with. That's my opinion, I'm sure some will disagree and that is there right and I won't say they are idiots or anything else for feeling differently. I'm open to the idea that maybe someone like Bennett could win more games with this bunch than Pitino. But I just don't want to have our bb team turn into the next Wisconsin or Virginia, its boring basketball and it hasn't proven yet that it can win Championships, and I mean NATL Championships, or should I say DIVISION ONE Natl Championships.[/QUOTE]

Never said he won natl. titles. Two ACC titles , both with 16-2 conf records. one ACC tourney title. You have to win games to get to the NCAA's. Did you find today boring. beating Duke at Duke 65-63 or would you you rather see the Gophers lose 87-79. I am sick and tired of losing. Butler built it with Defense and so did Cinncinnatti and Xavier, not just UW and UVA. He built Washington State that way, Washington State. Klay Thompson did not find it boring. He credits that with teaching him how to play. Malcom Brogdon, NBA rookie of the year last year did not find it boring. Sellouts have not found it boring. If putting the ball in the basket is the object of the game than stopping that from happening is essential. Watch you tube videos of Richards dad saying Tony is the best coach out there, same coach K, Same for Huggins. Rick P says that that is the team he watches because it is beautiful basketball. I want to win. The media has members that call it boring but not coaches retired or active. Do you think that if we were 20-1 and 9-0 in a conference as strong as the ACC that williams would not be sold out. ? Do the research on winning. Losing sucks. I was asked what most needed to happen and i said defense ! We have many savvy fans one of whom posted that that the U would build a statue if they could just go 12-6 back to back. Win a tourney game in years, do something better than 29-52 or whatever in conference. Dismiss the 5th year as a fluke all you want. Senior made the final 4 with his first class, it counts and it was built with character, lockdown defense and fundamentals.

I mean, just to be fair, you can't hardly hold this season against Pitino. Bennett wouldn't have been able to do much more with this lineup with all of the injuries its dealt with. That's my opinion, I'm sure some will disagree and that is there right and I won't say they are idiots or anything else for feeling differently. I'm open to the idea that maybe someone like Bennett could win more games with this bunch than Pitino. But I just don't want to have our bb team turn into the next Wisconsin or Virginia, its boring basketball and it hasn't proven yet that it can win Championships, and I mean NATL Championships, or should I say DIVISION ONE Natl Championships.

Never said he won natl. titles. Two ACC titles , both with 16-2 conf records. one ACC tourney title. You have to win games to get to the NCAA's. Did you find today boring. beating Duke at Duke 65-63 or would you you rather see the Gophers lose 87-79. I am sick and tired of losing. Butler built it with Defense and so did Cinncinnatti and Xavier, not just UW and UVA. He built Washington State that way, Washington State. Klay Thompson did not find it boring. He credits that with teaching him how to play. Malcom Brogdon, NBA rookie of the year last year did not find it boring. Sellouts have not found it boring. If putting the ball in the basket is the object of the game than stopping that from happening is essential. Watch you tube videos of Richards dad saying Tony is the best coach out there, same coach K, Same for Huggins. Rick P says that that is the team he watches because it is beautiful basketball. I want to win. The media has members that call it boring but not coaches retired or active. Do you think that if we were 20-1 and 9-0 in a conference as strong as the ACC that williams would not be sold out. ? Do the research on winning. Losing sucks. I was asked what most needed to happen and i said defense ! We have many savvy fans one of whom posted that that the U would build a statue if they could just go 12-6 back to back. Win a tourney game in years, do something better than 29-52 or whatever in conference. Dismiss the 5th year as a fluke all you want. Senior made the final 4 with his first class, it counts and it was built with character, lockdown defense and fundamentals.[/QUOTE]

You should reread your post about Virginia/Bennett - it says "Natl Titles"

And your love for Bennett is borderline crazy. Bennett is a very good coach, he gets very good players and consistently wins. But for the love of God, you act like he's the best coach ever. We get it, you have the biggest mancrush in the world on him. And yes, Virgina bball is boring. I'd take boring and the wins (unlike some others on this board), but it's still boring bball.

National titles was the reference to the absurdity of that being the threshold for success. Iam using the Bennetts as a example of building success with character since they are from the neighboring state. My firm has represented large pool of coaches so i have some insight. I could have used any number of coaches for that example. The point was how it has been done and must be done if your going to run it clean and win. Unless of course your going to recruit at that elite level of those top programs. That is not going to happen here. Thank you for pointing out you would take the wins. Not trying to make you think it is not boring as your entitled that opinion. I for one would have been thrilled if the vikings had beat Philly 10-7. I value defense in every sport. Stopping the other team is a huge part of the game. To each his own. I respect that what you enjoy is different than what i like.

National titles was the reference to the absurdity of that being the threshold for success. Iam using the Bennetts as a example of building success with character since they are from the neighboring state. My firm has represented large pool of coaches so i have some insight. I could have used any number of coaches for that example. The point was how it has been done and must be done if your going to run it clean and win. Unless of course your going to recruit at that elite level of those top programs. That is not going to happen here. Thank you for pointing out you would take the wins. Not trying to make you think it is not boring as your entitled that opinion. I for one would have been thrilled if the vikings had beat Philly 10-7. I value defense in every sport. Stopping the other team is a huge part of the game. To each his own. I respect that what you enjoy is different than what i like.

Watching a great defensive football team is hardly boring. It's fun watching your team sack the other team's QB or make him run around desperately trying to get off a pass or gain back the yards he ran backwards, and its fun to see your team intercept the ball, or make a huge hit or stop a RB behind the line of scrimmage, etc..

So low scoring games in the NFL can be very enjoyable to watch when it is your team dominating on defense.

But in cbb?? It's just boring.

And you say that "That is not going to happen here", the recruiting of elite level players?

Mason was 1st team All-B1G as a Junior. Murphy was either 2nd team or HM as a Sophomore and is looking like a 1st teamer this year. Lynch was B1G Defensive POY as a Junior. McBreyer improved enough it looked like he had potential to move up to some level of All-Big player as a Junior. Coffey made All-B1G 1st Team All-Freshman team.

Washington is got some rough edges, a street ball player sort of who needs refinement and time, so he may not have gotten onto the All-B1G Freshman team if the rest of the lineup was healthy, but he'll probably end up making All-B1G 1st team by the time he's a Junior.

These are the core of what should have or could have gotten us into the Top 3-4 of the Conf standings, even better had Curry been healthy.

Pitino was pulling in the quality players that could have pulled it off, and with Hurt on the team, may still pull in his little brother, who is definitely an elite player.

National titles was the reference to the absurdity of that being the threshold for success.

Well I didn't say they had to win Natl Titles, and pointed out that it took a very long time for Wisconsin to return to the Final Four after Ryan took over.

And so far Virginia, despite winning the Conf Title in arguably the best conference in the country, has yet to get to the Final Four, and just one trip to the Elite 8 makes me think that even Virginia fans are probably frustrated with the lack of NCAA tourney success?

The ACC conf champ should not be thinking Sweet 16s are a successful season.

To get this thread BACK ON TOPIC,

TOP SIX players all either OUT, not practicing even because of injuries or playing less than 100% because of injuries.

THREE of the Top 6 players were out for tonight's game vs Iowa. THREE!!!!!

Mason not 100%, and McBreyer not even close, especially defensively.

Murphy feeling ok I guess, and had a great night.

Couple of bench players had their best nights or close to it, but with THREE of the Top 6 out, completely out, and 2 of the other 3 not playing 100%, I'd hope some of them would start to contribute. Only reason the game stayed close til close to the end.

THREE ARE OUT!!!!!!

Don't you remember how much of an impact Sam Jacobson going out had on that team, and that was just one player.

THREE ARE OUT!!!!!

Top Bottom