Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

All I know is you don't want to mess around with Tongans and Samoans. I once knew a Seni Tuafele Tufele the son of a Samoan chief. He was one tough cookie who played mean rugby and was an avid pro wrestling fan. Nicest guy in the world until he gets on the field. He has true warrior spirit, totally fearless.

All I know is you don't want to mess around with Tongans and Samoans. I once knew a Seni Tuafele Tufele the son of a Samoan chief. He was one tough cookie who played mean rugby and was an avid pro wrestling fan. Nicest guy in the world until he gets on the field. He has true warrior spirit, totally fearless.

Are you saying all Samoans are the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Hey we are up to 13th in the country now in 247. Personally I think we will finish in the top 10 when it is all said and done.

per Joe:

Austin Beier, a three-star offensive lineman from St. John's Jesuit High School in Toledo, Ohio, gave the Gophers a verbal commitment Thursday night.

The 6-5, 255-pound Beier also had reported offers from Northwestern, Indiana and Boston College. he gives the Gophers eight commitments for the Class of 2018.

http://www.startribune.com/austin-b...man-from-toledo-commits-to-gophers/417731943/

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

Beier, who’s 6-foot-5 and 255 pounds, attends St. John’s Jesuit High School in Toledo, Ohio. He had other offers from Northwestern, Indiana, Boston College and Cincinnati.

Beier also wrote: “I’m very blessed to be in the position that I am in deciding where I want to play college football. I’ve been pondering this decision and have decided that the University of Minnesota is the place I want to continue to play football.”

Beier is the the eighth member in Minnesota’s 2018 recruiting class.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/30/gophers-receive-commitment-from-ohio-offensive-lineman/

Go Gophers!!

We had several posters concerned about him because he is only 250 lbs. and it would take him years (if ever) to get his weight up to 290. Now we're terrified of losing him and he will be playing early.

This entire post is BS.

The conversation that seemed to get everyone annoyed was that he was called a weight room project. That's not an insult. He's smaller than the typical high-end OL recruit. I'm sure Michigan also sees him the same way.

For most of the posters, it wasn't a concern and I don't remember a single person claiming he wouldn't get to 290 (if ever).

This is the exact kind of post that has made the Fleck era interesting. Someone having the audacity to call a super athletic albeit smaller HS OL a weight room project garners this kind of response.

This entire post is BS.

The conversation that seemed to get everyone annoyed was that he was called a weight room project. That's not an insult. He's smaller than the typical high-end OL recruit. I'm sure Michigan also sees him the same way.

For most of the posters, it wasn't a concern and I don't remember a single person claiming he wouldn't get to 290 (if ever).

This is the exact kind of post that has made the Fleck era interesting. Someone having the audacity to call a super athletic albeit smaller HS OL a weight room project garners this kind of response.

I think you need to relax Bob... this post would have been made during any coaching regime.

per Greder:

U OFFERS GARGANTUAN LINEMAN

At 6-foot-9 and about 400 pounds, Daniel Faalele’s overwhelming size turned a lot of heads Thursday at the Gibson Nagurski Football Complex. The famous Australian who attends IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., was visiting Minnesota’s spring practice in Dinkytown and received a scholarship offer.

“Blessed to receive an offer from the university of Minnesota,” Faalele tweeted.

Faalele, who has been featured in stories in Sports Illustrated and ESPN, has a scholarship offer list from some of the nation’s premier programs, including Michigan, Alabama, Florida State and Louisiana State, among many others. He intends to enroll in January 2018.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/30/gophers-receive-commitment-from-ohio-offensive-lineman/

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

U OFFERS GARGANTUAN LINEMAN

At 6-foot-9 and about 400 pounds, Daniel Faalele’s overwhelming size turned a lot of heads Thursday at the Gibson Nagurski Football Complex. The famous Australian who attends IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., was visiting Minnesota’s spring practice in Dinkytown and received a scholarship offer.

“Blessed to receive an offer from the university of Minnesota,” Faalele tweeted.

Faalele, who has been featured in stories in Sports Illustrated and ESPN, has a scholarship offer list from some of the nation’s premier programs, including Michigan, Alabama, Florida State and Louisiana State, among many others. He intends to enroll in January 2018.

Go Gophers!!

Should it not be a good thing that we get mentioned with the blue blood "helmet" schools? Can't get a guy if you don't offer......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Should it not be a good thing that we get mentioned with the blue blood "helmet" schools? Can't get a guy if you don't offer......

Well we did get him to visit, which is a step in the right direction. Seems unlikely we'd beat out those other schools and I think Michigan is the favorite. But you never know.

I think I read that this kid has never even played a down of football.

This entire post is BS.

Speaking of, I know it's only been a few days, but I noticed Mayfield hasn't publicly committed to Michigan yet. I know he's considered a lock for there basically.

Speaking of, I know it's only been a few days, but I noticed Mayfield hasn't publicly committed to Michigan yet. I know he's considered a lock for there basically.

Maybe the offer isn't commitable yet?

Maybe the offer isn't commitable yet?

It does kind of strike me as odd that Michigan would offer so early. A kid that isn't really ranked super high. I mean Ohio State only signed 2 three star kids last year and one was a kicker. The other one was a wr poached from Mizzou in the final weeks.

I think you need to relax Bob... this post would have been made during any coaching regime.

Correct, Bob is letting his bias influence his judgment. Don't assume that supporters of PJ think he walks on water.

I think I read that this kid has never even played a down of football.

He hadn't played football until he went to IMG Academy. So I believe he's only been there for a year, but maybe someone knows for sure.

Correct, Bob is letting his bias influence his judgment. Don't assume that supporters of PJ think he walks on water.

I am a Fleck supporter! When there is a recruiting thread, find a single negative thing I've said about him.

Now, I merely am stating the obvious, saying that an OL prospect who is 245 lbs needs to hit the weight room is NOT an insult. I said it when we got Mayfield and I loved the signing. I compared it to Hageman (knowing a super athletic/big framed guy could grow into a monster at a higher position). Somehow, the incredibly touchy Fleck crowd, took that as insult. It was never an insult. I loved getting the commitment from Mayfield and I am bummed that he isn't a commitment anymore, that said, he is a bit of a weight room project (which is seriously not a knock on him at all). Furthermore, I don't remember a single poster saying any of the things JG implied they did (he could never make 290, etc.).

I'm not assuming the supporters of PJ think he walks on water. I support PJ and I don't think he walks on water. There is a certain group of PJ supporters that paranoid and hypersensitive to any perceived negativity towards PJ - - you know, like the outlandish idea that a 245 lbs OL is going to need to bulk up. I know, that must be ME letting my bias influence my judgment (I'm sure PJ would agree with me, btw).

I am a Fleck supporter! When there is a recruiting thread, find a single negative thing I've said about him.

Now, I merely am stating the obvious, saying that an OL prospect who is 245 lbs needs to hit the weight room is NOT an insult. I said it when we got Mayfield and I loved the signing. I compared it to Hageman (knowing a super athletic/big framed guy could grow into a monster at a higher position). Somehow, the incredibly touchy Fleck crowd, took that as insult. It was never an insult. I loved getting the commitment from Mayfield and I am bummed that he isn't a commitment anymore, that said, he is a bit of a weight room project (which is seriously not a knock on him at all). Furthermore, I don't remember a single poster saying any of the things JG implied they did (he could never make 290, etc.).

I'm not assuming the supporters of PJ think he walks on water. I support PJ and I don't think he walks on water. There is a certain group of PJ supporters that paranoid and hypersensitive to any perceived negativity towards PJ - - you know, like the outlandish idea that a 245 lbs OL is going to need to bulk up. I know, that must be ME letting my bias influence my judgment (I'm sure PJ would agree with me, btw).

I'm not going to spend time pulling up old quotes. Someone called Mayfield a weight room project. I could personally care less if he's 250 or 320 lbs. There were other posters who questioned his size and whether he could grow into a 290 lb OT. No one in the "Fleck crowd" took anything as an insult.

You are the one separating out the "Fleck Crowd" from just normal Gopher fans. You are the one assuming that you would not have heard any rebuttal to the "weight room project" comment if PJ wasn't the coach. There in marks your bias. Some people just took your comment differently than you intended and it blew up from there.

Top Bottom