Fox 9: AD Mark Coyle belives better days ahead for Gophers Football

Then you're a moron too.

Ok you really are that stupid since you just called yourself a moron while trying to call me one. I was mistaken. Go on being naive and thinking PJ wouldn't have said those exact same words about any new job in a P5 conference. You seem young, you will understand some day if you want to be successful.

As far as Fleck - all coaches have egos. all coaches have their shtick. Some are more obvious or blatant than others, but don't kid yourself. a D1 head coach is putting on a performance. He or she puts on a performance for fans, for recruits, for boosters, and for the media. Just as with actors, some performances are more believable and seem more honest. other performances are more transparent and less believable.

Fleck is playing a part. He may believe in that part 100%. I'm not saying he's a phony. I am saying he is aware of how he presents himself, and has a reason for doing what he does.

If anything, Claeys' ultimate downfall was that he, compared to most D1 coaches, seems to have less of an ego, and is less willing or able to put on a performance. This is one time when honesty may not be the best policy.

As far as Coyle - without judging his motives, I will just say that I find the man - for an experienced AD - to be almost shockingly inarticulate. He has a terrible time explaining himself and making simple declarative statements. His meeting with the players before the boycott was a disaster. At the press conference after firing Claeys, he left the media and other viewers confused on the subject of the buyout, because he couldn't give a simple, straight answer to a simple question. I get the sense that Coyle is OK when reading from a script, but he can't ad lib to save his life. Not the best quality for someone whose job involves communicating with key groups, including alumni and boosters.

Ok you really are that stupid since you just called yourself a moron while trying to call me one. I was mistaken. Go on being naive and thinking PJ wouldn't have said those exact same words about any new job in a P5 conference. You seem young, you will understand some day if you want to be successful.
I never said he wouldn't say those same words anywhere else. I said that coaches focus on the job that they are at, and if they don't, they are likely to fail.
And I am not young.
Btw, I volunteer coached HS football for about 10 years, have known well over 20 D-I college head coaches, sat in their offices and talked to them, and know how they think. In fact, I met Fleck when he was at NIU. Seemed like a nice guy.

I never said he wouldn't say those same words anywhere else. I said that coaches focus on the job that they are at, and if they don't, they are likely to fail.

So then you agree he is just saying it because it's what you say no matter what job he got. Like SON said, he's just acting dude. No one is holding it against him, it's what we all wanted and expected to hear. Glad we got this agreed upon. Good night.

If Coyle hired Claeys, you might be right. But he inherited him. Claeys went along with Coyle and Kaler in September, but decided to play both sides of the fence in December when that wasn't a choice. He said to the team, "this could get me fired" and then you're surprised when it did. Claeys wasn't surprised. He was disappointed, but not surprised b/c he knew he bungled it. He just didn't like what Coyle had to say at the press conference of his departure. Maybe Coyle wasn't elegant in his handling of the matter, but whether Coyle was right or not about firing Claeys is a matter of opinion. I think he was right. Some disagree. But I don't think he's a "sleazeball" as some have described him.

Just to be clear, I have no issue that Coyle fired Claeys. That he fired Claeys is irrelevant. Given everything that transpired, I agree, Claeys knew he'd be fired, but acted anyway.

I do have issues with the way Coyle handled it. We can agree to disagree if you feel otherwise, but Coyle screwed up royally because he got personal against Claeys when he didn't need to -- he fired the man, how much more personal can it be? -- and said things that hurt both the university and the football program unnecessarily.

So Coyle's only visible actions as AD in regards to Football:

• Let his head coach reinstate players when he had information and insights on that suggest the process would continue to unfold and it would get ugly before it got better. - My opinion, if your the AD of a power 5 school and don't know that was coming next, you should be fired.
  • Actively provided public information about a process that had not completed that expanded those involved by 100%, and by words, deed and action created an environment that suggested all 10 were rapists. This is a fireable offense in almost every corporation and public institution in this country.
  • He failed to provide public leadership when it was clear the coach could/would not do so, instead preferring to operate in the shadows (isn't that how he described his "management" style?) and avoid any association with the scandal -- unfortunately when you're the AD your job is to solve the problem not hide from it.
  • Lost his cool when performing his duties as Athletic Director and took personal shots that were both inaccurate and unnecessary. For a professional AD, not his first goat rodeo, this is, to me a fireable offense.

If he'd done one of these things, and didn't get fired, but was reprimanded, sure. But these are his four high profile actions (or inactions). When this is the body of your work, and the scandal involved is as bad as it is, you're gone -- in most cases.

I am incredibly disappointed in the press for dropping the ball in holding the admin of the U accountable for their equal roles in this mess. Kaler and Coyle fired their patsy, and that seemed to mollify what passes for a free and independent press in Minnesota these days.

Now, as for believing that Coyle didn't hire Claeys, so it's not his fault - actually, resolving this fiasco in September is MORE likely for an athletic director with no ties to the coach. Why he didn't serve notice at that point is beyond me.

Instead, he hid, and hoped it would go away and when it appeared it would, told Claeys he'd be retained -- actively searched for a coach -- then fired Claeys. That smacks of a lack of integrity on the front that he showed no concern for the alleged victim until it was politically expedient, made a comment on extending Claeys to Claeys and alluded to publicly at the end of the regular season, all the while planning to fire him after the bowl game (again, a key ingredient of a good culture was missing here -- integrity!) and then melted down on stage while firing him.

So yeah, given that this is what I've seen of Mark Coyle, making a good hire on paper doesn't really absolve him of his transgressions, and frankly, until he's fired, I'm more concerned at our ability to hold onto PJ Fleck long term. Assuming the Fleck show is genuine, he's not going to stick around and work for someone as morally ambiguous as Mark Coyle.

When Kaler is not renewed in May, the clock will star ticking on Coyle and hopefully we can get someone who wants to make a real and serious commitment to changing the way the administration and university faculty look at the athletic department, but I doubt it. Ultimately Coyle fired his patsy and nothing changed.

Didn't Fleck say that Minnesota was his dream job, and they when he heard it was open he and his wife knew this was the place ?

Not sure if that is sarcasm, but this man (who I'm excited about and rooting for) is a massive salesman. He believes what he says when he talks, but he can spin anything. If a school "higher" on his list came along, he would bolt with all his recruits and say "yes, Minnesota was my dream job, but this is my really big elite dream job. I mean beyond my wildest dreams. See ya Gophers. Row the Boat". The man is on a mission to get as far as he possibly can. I think he'll succeed, but based on the little I know of him thus far, I wouldn't trust him or take his words too seriously. He speaks in superlatives. We've all come across guys like him. The biggest producer in my office makes $5,000,000.00 a year and will say anything to get business. Lies through his teeth. But everyone loves him cause he tells them what they want to hear. He says he's the smartest guy he knows. Enormously successful. But it's all about winning and being glorified by others. Maybe that's what the Gophs really need right now.

Just to be clear, I have no issue that Coyle fired Claeys. That he fired Claeys is irrelevant. Given everything that transpired, I agree, Claeys knew he'd be fired, but acted anyway.

I do have issues with the way Coyle handled it. We can agree to disagree if you feel otherwise, but Coyle screwed up royally because he got personal against Claeys when he didn't need to -- he fired the man, how much more personal can it be? -- and said things that hurt both the university and the football program unnecessarily.

• Let his head coach reinstate players when he had information and insights on that suggest the process would continue to unfold and it would get ugly before it got better. - My opinion, if your the AD of a power 5 school and don't know that was coming next, you should be fired.
  • Actively provided public information about a process that had not completed that expanded those involved by 100%, and by words, deed and action created an environment that suggested all 10 were rapists. This is a fireable offense in almost every corporation and public institution in this country.
  • He failed to provide public leadership when it was clear the coach could/would not do so, instead preferring to operate in the shadows (isn't that how he described his "management" style?) and avoid any association with the scandal -- unfortunately when you're the AD your job is to solve the problem not hide from it.
  • Lost his cool when performing his duties as Athletic Director and took personal shots that were both inaccurate and unnecessary. For a professional AD, not his first goat rodeo, this is, to me a fireable offense.

If he'd done one of these things, and didn't get fired, but was reprimanded, sure. But these are his four high profile actions (or inactions). When this is the body of your work, and the scandal involved is as bad as it is, you're gone -- in most cases.

I am incredibly disappointed in the press for dropping the ball in holding the admin of the U accountable for their equal roles in this mess. Kaler and Coyle fired their patsy, and that seemed to mollify what passes for a free and independent press in Minnesota these days.

Now, as for believing that Coyle didn't hire Claeys, so it's not his fault - actually, resolving this fiasco in September is MORE likely for an athletic director with no ties to the coach. Why he didn't serve notice at that point is beyond me.

Instead, he hid, and hoped it would go away and when it appeared it would, told Claeys he'd be retained -- actively searched for a coach -- then fired Claeys. That smacks of a lack of integrity on the front that he showed no concern for the alleged victim until it was politically expedient, made a comment on extending Claeys to Claeys and alluded to publicly at the end of the regular season, all the while planning to fire him after the bowl game (again, a key ingredient of a good culture was missing here -- integrity!) and then melted down on stage while firing him.

So yeah, given that this is what I've seen of Mark Coyle, making a good hire on paper doesn't really absolve him of his transgressions, and frankly, until he's fired, I'm more concerned at our ability to hold onto PJ Fleck long term. Assuming the Fleck show is genuine, he's not going to stick around and work for someone as morally ambiguous as Mark Coyle.

When Kaler is not renewed in May, the clock will star ticking on Coyle and hopefully we can get someone who wants to make a real and serious commitment to changing the way the administration and university faculty look at the athletic department, but I doubt it. Ultimately Coyle fired his patsy and nothing changed.

Except most of this is completely false to what Coyle did and said. Nice try though.

Fleck has not one, but two former players going to trial for robbing a Woman in her apartment with a gun and a knife.
Bryson White is the walk on who had been accused of multiple sexual assaults including a gang rape prior to his acceptance to Western Michigan. Fleck's claim of knowing nothing of White's past is disputed by officials from White's old high school. The second player charged with felony armed robbery is Ron George. George was a Fleck Scholarship Recruit.

Should this incident be a reflection of team Football culture at Western Michigan ? Fleck talks about a need to change the culture at the U. Is he referencing the alleged sexual assault committed by several Gopher Players? If yes, he has no business doing so !! There is a double standard in play here.

On December 12th, Western Michigan Basketball Player Jovieair Kennedy was charged with robbery and Murder of another WM Student.
Are there culture issues with the Western Michigan Athletic Department? Three charges of armed robbery in just five months

Is it fair to hold a coach and department responsable for an isolated incident? If not, the same standard should have applied to the former Coaching Staff.

You know, I don't generally post much b/c I've got more important stuff to worry about. <b>But this bull**** of demeaning people is cowardly. </b>You're a coward b/c you would not say "no one is that stupid" to my face. Trust me. You wouldn't.

2 posts later...

Then you're a moron too.

Good Stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those questioning Coyle's reasons for letting Claeys go.
-How was his bottom of the B1G recruiting class going to improve? They were at the point where they were going to start reaching for low 3 star and 2 star guys. With all the bad press due to the scandal, it was going to be really hard to get any quality players. So moving up in the recruiting rankings was not likely to happen. So yes, there was a recruiting concern.
-Ticket sales for the casual fan a lot of time depend on the head coaches ability to sell the program. College football doesn't have players as the face of the team like the NFL does. They have a head coach. If that coach doesn't connect with the average fan, ticket sales are going to slump. Claeys is a great defensive coach, but his personality, he is very stale.
-Culture was the other issue. His players ran a train on a girl, and it caused a lot of bad press and involved a minor on a recruiting visit. Claeys still cannot understand there was a problem. He is still oblivious to why that would look bad. Still hasn't taken any responsibility. He has shown to many that he is not capable to lead a team of this kind.

For the 8 millionth time, 16 is the age of consent in MN. Assuming consent, there are no legal repercussions from whatever happened with the recruit.

And I am not young.
Btw, I volunteer coached HS football for about 10 years, have known well over 20 D-I college head coaches, sat in their offices and talked to them, and know how they think. In fact, I met Fleck when he was at NIU. Seemed like a nice guy.

33119306.jpg

Fleck has not one, but two former players going to trial for robbing a Woman in her apartment with a gun and a knife.
Bryson White is the walk on who had been accused of multiple sexual assaults including a gang rape prior to his acceptance to Western Michigan. Fleck's claim of knowing nothing of White's past is disputed by officials from White's old high school. The second player charged with felony armed robbery is Ron George. George was a Fleck Scholarship Recruit.

Should this incident be a reflection of team Football culture at Western Michigan ? Fleck talks about a need to change the culture at the U. Is he referencing the alleged sexual assault committed by several Gopher Players? If yes, he has no business doing so !! There is a double standard in play here.

On December 12th, Western Michigan Basketball Player Jovieair Kennedy was charged with robbery and Murder of another WM Student.
Are there culture issues with the Western Michigan Athletic Department? Three charges of armed robbery in just five months

Is it fair to hold a coach and department responsable for an isolated incident? If not, the same standard should have applied to the former Coaching Staff.

I think people need to stop thinking that culture was the reason that Claeys was fired. It was a convenient excuse and PR move. Coyle wanted Fleck regardless of a scandal or not.

For those questioning Coyle's reasons for letting Claeys go.
-How was his bottom of the B1G recruiting class going to improve? They were at the point where they were going to start reaching for low 3 star and 2 star guys. With all the bad press due to the scandal, it was going to be really hard to get any quality players. So moving up in the recruiting rankings was not likely to happen. So yes, there was a recruiting concern.
-Ticket sales for the casual fan a lot of time depend on the head coaches ability to sell the program. College football doesn't have players as the face of the team like the NFL does. They have a head coach. If that coach doesn't connect with the average fan, ticket sales are going to slump. Claeys is a great defensive coach, but his personality, he is very stale.
-Culture was the other issue. His players ran a train on a girl, and it caused a lot of bad press and involved a minor on a recruiting visit. Claeys still cannot understand there was a problem. He is still oblivious to why that would look bad. Still hasn't taken any responsibility. He has shown to many that he is not capable to lead a team of this kind.
Outstanding post. Keeping Claeys would have been very detrimental to recruiting as other coaches would have used it against us as long as Claeys was here. Another good point about him not taking responsibility like a real leader does and would have.

Very well said. I agree completely. I really want Fleck to succeed. But am counting they days until he can have enough success and influence that he can run his show while distancing himself from Coyle. Right now, I'm in moral conflict rooting for anything strongly connected to MC.

Except most of this is completely false to what Coyle did and said. Nice try though.

Wow.

I did not realize that Coyle did step in and suspend the 5 kids who were cleared by the police back in Sept. strange how this escalated so much after Coyle did his job.

I did not realize that he did not speak publicly that 10 kids were suspended due to the EOAA report on the sexual assault that took place that was incomplete. Strange that was so well covered in the press. They must have all gotten that wrong for some reason.

I guess the same press just forgot to report all of his public efforts to bring this under control, and purposely tried to make him look bad.

I guess the press falsely reported that he told Tracey Claeys he'd be back and that he denied it vociferously when asked.

How they got all that footage of him talking about the problems with the football team that demanded he make a change, from on the field results which needed to improve, academics which needed to improve and culture they needed to improve - that's the one I don't understand how that wasn't true.

Thanks for enlightening me.

Wow.

I did not realize that Coyle did step in and suspend the 5 kids who were cleared by the police back in Sept. strange how this escalated so much after Coyle did his job.

I did not realize that he did not speak publicly that 10 kids were suspended due to the EOAA report on the sexual assault that took place that was incomplete. Strange that was so well covered in the press. They must have all gotten that wrong for some reason.

I guess the same press just forgot to report all of his public efforts to bring this under control, and purposely tried to make him look bad.

I guess the press falsely reported that he told Tracey Claeys he'd be back and that he denied it vociferously when asked.

How they got all that footage of him talking about the problems with the football team that demanded he make a change, from on the field results which needed to improve, academics which needed to improve and culture they needed to improve - that's the one I don't understand how that wasn't true.

Thanks for enlightening me.

You and the other Coyle haters are making stuff up and lumping him into saying and doing the things that Kaler did. What Coyle and Kaler did are two different independent things. 99% of your and others issues are with Kaler.

Those kids were expelled from school based on the EOAA report. Coyle had nothing to do with that.

Coyle said 'he's our coach' and that was before the EOAA report came out. He never said anything about a contract extension etc. Coyle didn't say anything publicly about suspended kids 'due to privacy issues'. He never called them rapists. Kaler was the one who spoke publicly although he didn't call them rapists either.

The only thing you got right was your last sentence.

Many people's issues on here are really issues with Kaler. The main reason why there are people mad at Coyle is because he fired their favorite coach.

You and the other Coyle haters are making stuff up and lumping him into saying and doing the things that Kaler did. What Coyle and Kaler did are two different independent things. 99% of your and others issues are with Kaler.

Those kids were expelled from school based on the EOAA report. Coyle had nothing to do with that.

Coyle said 'he's our coach' and that was before the EOAA report came out. He never said anything about a contract extension etc. Coyle didn't say anything publicly about suspended kids 'due to privacy issues'. He never called them rapists. Kaler was the one who spoke publicly although he didn't call them rapists either.

Many people's issues on here are really issues with Kaler. The main reason why there are people mad at Coyle is because he fired their favorite coach.

Nope.

Those kids were expelled from school based on the EOAA report. Coyle had nothing to do with that. completely wrong, coyle absolutely dealt with suspending and expelling the kids, even said he met with Claeys over it before the hammer fell. The EOAA report is just a suggestion of what should be done

Coyle said 'he's our coach' and that was before the EOAA report came out. He never said anything about a contract extension etc. Coyle didn't say anything publicly This is part of the problem, he was a no show. He is the AD he should have been out front of the problem not hiding in a corner like a little b!tch.

You are right Kaler is a twat that did nothing to help the situation and his job is probably gone with how the regents were involved but Coyle was just as horrible through this whole process. Fleck has saved Coyle's job for now but he's one more scandal away from losing his job if he handles it as poorly and the new Prez has been paying attention to what happened during this debacle.

You are right Kaler is a twat that did nothing to help the situation and his job is probably gone with how the regents were involved but Coyle was just as horrible through this whole process. Fleck has saved Coyle's job for now but he's one more scandal away from losing his job if he handles it as poorly and the new Prez has been paying attention to what happened during this debacle.

To your first bold point, Coyle as an AD has the authority to expel kids kids from school? Man he has a lot on his plate.

Both were equally slimy, but you are right, they did that in their own way.
Neither of them should be employed at the U of M, because of the way they each handled the entire incident and in the way the firing of Tracy Claeys was handled.

Which, I will repeat, I understand that Coyle can hire who he wants to be the head coach. His statement about the reason for the change was uncalled for, unprofessional and for the most part not true. That is why people are going after Coyle, not because he fired Tracy, but because of the way that he did it.

For the 8 millionth time, 16 is the age of consent in MN. Assuming consent, there are no legal repercussions from whatever happened with the recruit.

I dont care about the age of consent. He is a minor who was videotaped performing sexual acts, and those videos were then sent to others. That is a criminal offense.

I dont care about the age of consent. He is a minor who was videotaped performing sexual acts, and those videos were then sent to others. That is a criminal offense.

Do we know this for sure or are you assuming it? It's been a while since I read the report but I don't remember that being in there.

Both were equally slimy, but you are right, they did that in their own way.
Neither of them should be employed at the U of M, because of the way they each handled the entire incident and in the way the firing of Tracy Claeys was handled.

Which, I will repeat, I understand that Coyle can hire who he wants to be the head coach. His statement about the reason for the change was uncalled for, unprofessional and for the most part not true. That is why people are going after Coyle, not because he fired Tracy, but because of the way that he did it.

Coyle does not have the authority to expel, suspend or put on probation. That is done by the school, not the AD. And if players are being given those sentences, he must suspend them from playing. So how is he at fault there.

It was hard to listen to the press conference of the firing, as it did get personal. But he was only correcting misinformation that had been started by Claeys to throw Coyle under the bus. Remember when Claeys stated he had not read the report? Well, we now know that Claeys was provided the entire report and was explained the suspensions. So Claeys lied. Claeys continued to play the victim with all of the players and parents instead of explaining the situations and acting like a man. He showed he had no backbone. To this day, he is still acting like the victim. He threw Coyle under the bus to his players and parents, and Coyle had to correct those items. I cant fault the guy for that.

Yeah. I hope we can finally get an AD and president who will commit to the athletics department. I just wish we would invest in a $180 million training facility. Finally pay a head coach a competitive wage, say $3.5M/year and pay for good assistants. Yup, I really hope we can find someone to finally do that.

Coyle does not have the authority to expel, suspend or put on probation. That is done by the school, not the AD. And if players are being given those sentences, he must suspend them from playing. So how is he at fault there.

It was hard to listen to the press conference of the firing, as it did get personal. But he was only correcting misinformation that had been started by Claeys to throw Coyle under the bus. Remember when Claeys stated he had not read the report? Well, we now know that Claeys was provided the entire report and was explained the suspensions. So Claeys lied. Claeys continued to play the victim with all of the players and parents instead of explaining the situations and acting like a man. He showed he had no backbone. To this day, he is still acting like the victim. He threw Coyle under the bus to his players and parents, and Coyle had to correct those items. I cant fault the guy for that.

Where has that been established? When Coyle was directly asked that question, he dodged. What is much more likely is that "the same information I had" that Coyle refers to is a summary of the EOAA's recommendations. "We recommend Player A be expelled from the school based on violations of the Code of Conduct sections X,Y, and Z."

He's not a "minor" with regard to sexual acts. That's the point. The videos would be illegal regardless of his age - it's not relevant or pertinent from a legal standpoint.

He's not a "minor" with regard to sexual acts. That's the point. The videos would be illegal regardless of his age - it's not relevant or pertinent from a legal standpoint.

I am not a lawyer, but I am certain that distribution of those types of images are much more serious when it involves a minor.

Top Bottom