Broncos/Gophers stats comparisons - final rankings NCAA

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Rushing: WM 24, Gophers 54; Passing: WM 49, Gophers 111; Total Offense: WM 19, Gophers 107. Total defense: Gophers 21, WM 26; Rush defense: Gophers 14, WM 49; Passing efficiency: WM 4, UM 108; Passing Efficiency Defense: UM 27, WM 36. Scoring offense: WM 9, UM 63. Scoring defense: WM 15, UM 21.

Rushing: WM 24, Gophers 54; Passing: WM 49, Gophers 111; Total Offense: WM 19, Gophers 107. Total defense: Gophers 21, WM 26; Rush defense: Gophers 14, WM 49; Passing efficiency: WM 4, UM 108; Passing Efficiency Defense: UM 27, WM 36. Scoring offense: WM 9, UM 63. Scoring defense: WM 15, UM 21.

Arkansas much worse: Total defense 76; rush defense 94; pass efficiency defense 65; scoring defense 85. Fleck apparently hiring their DC.

No big revelation. If Fleck can bring the offense with him while maintaining the Claeys/Sawvel defense, there's no doubt that a BT Championship is in reach.

S&P ratings:

Total Defense:
Minnesota 23rd
Western Michigan 69th
Arkansas 63rd

Rushing Defense:
Minnesota 19th
Western Michigan 91st
Arkansas 112th

Passing Defense:
Minnesota 25th
Western Michigan 74th
Arkansas 78th

Total Offense:
Minnesota 84th
Western Michigan 25th
Ohio State 23rd

Rushing Offense:
Minnesota 101st
Western Michigan 29th
Ohio State 3rd

Passing Offense:
Minnesota 71st
Western Michigan 8th
Ohio State 64th

S&P ratings:

Total Defense:
Minnesota 23rd
Western Michigan 69th
Arkansas 63rd

Rushing Defense:
Minnesota 19th
Western Michigan 91st
Arkansas 112th

Passing Defense:
Minnesota 25th
Western Michigan 74th
Arkansas 78th

Total Offense:
Minnesota 84th
Western Michigan 25th
Ohio State 23rd

Rushing Offense:
Minnesota 101st
Western Michigan 29th
Ohio State 3rd

Passing Offense:
Minnesota 71st
Western Michigan 8th
Ohio State 64th

mmmm i like these stats much better

Man our offense was anemic.
I think there's a good argument that the 2016 Offense was no better than 2015, and maybe not as good. Total yards were about the same in both years (~4,600+ yds). The main difference was that 2015 was a more balance Offense between running and passing. Limegrover's offense threw the ball about 100 more times in 2015 and totaled more yards passing as a result. Johnson's offense was much more run heavy with zone schemes as opposed to Power run emphasized by Limegrover. Average yards per rush were almost identical at 4.2 yds/carry in 2015 vs 4.3 yds/carry in 2016. And, Mitch L was used more as a runner in 2016 in zone read to take pressure off the running backs whereas Limegrover was afraid to get Mitch hurt. I would also say that Rodney Smith made more yards out of nothing that in his freshman year, probably b/c he seemed more suited to the zone scheme than Power gap scheme runs.
Claeys promised that the OL would be roadgraders. I didn't see a lot of roadgrading. Oddly though, the biggest statistic that the staff like to point out was the reduction in Sacks Allowed. I would argue that when you throw the ball a lot less, you should be able to cut down on sacks b/c there is a reduction in opportunities for the defense and that the defense is more focused on stopping the run. Also, there seemed to be a reduction in deep balls (complete or incomplete) in 2016, thereby requiring less time in pass protection. Maybe more importantly, I believe Johnson emphasized that Mitch get rid of the ball much quicker than Limegrover, who emphasized minimizing turnovers and not throwing unwisely. The 2016 result was a reduction in sacks, but increases in interceptions and decreases in pass efficiency.
All of this, plus a significantly tougher schedule in 2015 than in 2016.

I think there's a good argument that the 2016 Offense was no better than 2015, and maybe not as good. Total yards were about the same in both years (~4,600+ yds). The main difference was that 2015 was a more balance Offense between running and passing. Limegrover's offense threw the ball about 100 more times in 2015 and totaled more yards passing as a result. Johnson's offense was much more run heavy with zone schemes as opposed to Power run emphasized by Limegrover. Average yards per rush were almost identical at 4.2 yds/carry in 2015 vs 4.3 yds/carry in 2016. And, Mitch L was used more as a runner in 2016 in zone read to take pressure off the running backs whereas Limegrover was afraid to get Mitch hurt. I would also say that Rodney Smith made more yards out of nothing that in his freshman year, probably b/c he seemed more suited to the zone scheme than Power gap scheme runs.
Claeys promised that the OL would be roadgraders. I didn't see a lot of roadgrading. Oddly though, the biggest statistic that the staff like to point out was the reduction in Sacks Allowed. I would argue that when you throw the ball a lot less, you should be able to cut down on sacks b/c there is a reduction in opportunities for the defense and that the defense is more focused on stopping the run. Also, there seemed to be a reduction in deep balls (complete or incomplete) in 2016, thereby requiring less time in pass protection. Maybe more importantly, I believe Johnson emphasized that Mitch get rid of the ball much quicker than Limegrover, who emphasized minimizing turnovers and not throwing unwisely. The 2016 result was a reduction in sacks, but increases in interceptions and decreases in pass efficiency.
All of this, plus a significantly tougher schedule in 2015 than in 2016.

All in what stat you focus on most. Scoring offense jumped significantly 2015 to 2016, but total offense was slightly worse.

Pretty sad that those numbers were put up with a 4th year QB at the helm

All in what stat you focus on most. Scoring offense jumped significantly 2015 to 2016, but total offense was slightly worse.
And you don't suppose playing TCU, Michigan, and Ohio State impacted scoring versus playing Oregon St, Rutgers, and Maryland? Not to mention the Gophers scored 58 on Indiana St, far more than any game scoring in 2015.
Claeys predicted 10 wins. They may have achieved that had the offense been better than 2016

And you don't suppose playing TCU, Michigan, and Ohio State impacted scoring versus playing Oregon St, Rutgers, and Maryland? Not to mention the Gophers scored 58 on Indiana St, far more than any game scoring in 2015.
Claeys predicted 10 wins. They may have achieved that had the offense been better than 2016

That's why S&P is a much better measure as it factors in opponents, field position etc. The Gophers offense was awful this year and a big step down from 2014 and 2015.

Claeys predicted 8-10 wins. It would be nice if people stopped making things up.

WMU
22-21 Win vs Northwestern
34-10 Win vs Illinois
24-16 Loss vs Wisconsin
Gophers
29-12 Win vs Northwestern
40-17 Win vs Illinois
31-17 Loss vs Wisconsin

Hard to say Claeys offense was terrible in comparison with Fleck's when you look at teams that both played this past year.

WMU
22-21 Win vs Northwestern
34-10 Win vs Illinois
24-16 Loss vs Wisconsin
Gophers
29-12 Win vs Northwestern
40-17 Win vs Illinois
31-17 Loss vs Wisconsin

Hard to say Claeys offense was terrible in comparison with Fleck's when you look at teams that both played this past year.
The Gophers Offense ranked 107th out of 128 programs. Part of that admittedly is style of play, but it's not good.

Wow, read a lot into my post. Anyway everyone knows TC said he though they could have 8-10 wins. Won 9 with new guys coaching offense.

"The decision to fire Matt Limegrover and Jim Zebrowski sent a message that he had a vision for his program and he was willing to make changes to implement it. Saying Minnesota could win 8-10 games this year suggests he thinks the changes shouldn't stop the Gophers from having success. 8 wins would tie the program's best season in over a decade. With the Big Ten's new 9 game conference schedule it would also mean Minnesota won at least 5 Big Ten games for only the 4th time in the last 30 years. If Minnesota reaches the floor of the range outlined by Coach Claeys it will be a good year. If they exceed it, then 2016 could turn into a great season."

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/...all-tracy-claeys-prediction-wins-big-ten-west

Claeys predicted 8-10 wins. It would be nice if people stopped making things up.
Oh, you got me. He did say 8-10 (talking about the regular season), but he also said this is "our best team", that they'd be disappointed if they weren't vying for the West in late November, and that the winner of the division would possibly have 2 losses. Unless he expected to lose to Oregon St, Indiana St, or Colorado St, that would seem to suggest that the worst they could do to win the West would be 10-2.
He didn't guarantee anything, but he was more optimistic about this team than any preceding team that he had been involved in and the schedule was notably easier. So what would you expect with that kind of rhetoric? I think most people expected that he was suggesting the best record in the last 6 years, which he achieved. But, to the point that I was making, had the Offense performed better, the Gophers may have hit 10 regular season wins. Beside our running backs, it didn't play well. The defense carried the team and won the bowl game.

More time has been spent discussing TC's win prediction than any other coach speak in history. Soooooooo silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, you got me. He did say 8-10 (talking about the regular season), but he also said this is "our best team", that they'd be disappointed if they weren't vying for the West in late November, and that the winner of the division would possibly have 2 losses. Unless he expected to lose to Oregon St, Indiana St, or Colorado St, that would seem to suggest that the worst they could do to win the West would be 10-2.
He didn't guarantee anything, but he was more optimistic about this team than any preceding team that he had been involved in and the schedule was notably easier. So what would you expect with that kind of rhetoric? I think most people expected that he was suggesting the best record in the last 6 years, which he achieved. But, to the point that I was making, had the Offense performed better, the Gophers may have hit 10 regular season wins. Beside our running backs, it didn't play well. The defense carried the team and won the bowl game.

They were vying for the West in late November. We would've been West co-champs with a win over wisconsin.

Gee, ya think? Firm grasp of the obvious right there. Absolutely no reason Gophs can't win 8 regular season games in 2017.

More time has been spent discussing TC's win prediction than any other coach speak in history. Soooooooo silly.

Probably b/c it's extremely rare for any coach to predict a win total, or even a range. Not smart.

They were vying for the West in late November. We would've been West co-champs with a win over wisconsin.
They didn't beat Wisconsin and a win wouldn't have gotten them to Indianapolis as Claeys referred to on a few occasions. And, I don't believe that Division ties are officially recognized as "co-champs". I didn't hear of Ohio State being referred to as co-champs of the East though they were tied in the division standing with Penn St.

Well, he was pretty accurate.
That doesn't make it smart b/c no one will care if it was accurate unless you fail to achieve the prediction. Then they will care a lot.

That doesn't make it smart b/c <b>no one will care if it was accurate </b>unless you fail to achieve the prediction. Then they will care a lot.

Yet everyone on here (looking at you) seem to care.

They didn't beat Wisconsin and a win wouldn't have gotten them to Indianapolis as Claeys referred to on a few occasions. And, I don't believe that Division ties are officially recognized as "co-champs". I didn't hear of Ohio State being referred to as co-champs of the East though they were tied in the division standing with Penn St.
dpodoll responding in 3, 2, 1...

What he set for expectations is what they did. Have fun with your half-full glasses. He's not the coach anymore.

Expectations for Fleck are 8 regular season wins in 2017 and up from there.

Yet everyone on here (looking at you) seem to care.

My posts on this thread were about the performance of the Offense in 2016 vs 2015 until someone took offense to my misquoting Claeys about the number of wins he expected this year. And, that had the Offense performed better that they may have very well achieve a division championship. It was a side comment, but believe what you want.

Chuckle...
So you're saying if the Gophers had lost to Rutgers and Oregon St to finish 6-6, no one would've brought up the fact that he predicted 8-10 wins and would've likely lost his job on that basis alone?
Chuckle...

So you're saying if the Gophers had lost to Rutgers and Oregon St to finish 6-6, no one would've brought up the fact that he predicted 8-10 wins and would've likely lost his job on that basis alone?
Chuckle...

Such insight, thanks.

Top Bottom