Fleck Press Conference Thread

First the shirt rule, it is to damn cold in the winter time to not wear sweatshirts and layers. He is going to learn fast, Mr Fleck that today's kind of cold and nippiness is common place in January and first weeks of February. Cold weather gear is important.

Instead of insisting on a dress code for players to wear collar shirts to class, he should insist on University of Minnesota Students to quit wearing G-Damn Badger, Iowa and Nebraska gear on campus so much. Getting the lot of students to not show up in pajamas now a days is a bit of a stretch.
That should be the first priority of business addressing the student body from Wisconsin about wearing all of that fricking Badger or the Iowa students wearing Iowa Hawkeye gear.

The players are working for free, not all of them have wealthy parents and wear the warm up gear and free clothing a lot for a reason.
The collar shirt rule is stupid, office dress is even more casual now then that. A dude in a collar shirt and sagging a$$ sweatpants isn't any more ideal than a dude in a sweat shirt and jeans. I get the coach want's a business like approach, but that is silliness requiring a collar shirt.
Nothing wrong with wearing a collar shirt under a sweater or sweatshirt.

Students not wearing Gopher gear on campus does sound ridiculous. It's kind of like going to Church wearing a Hail Satan shirt.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I wanted Fleck from the get-go and I hope I don't regret it. That was a lot to take in. Like a lot a lot.

Nothing wrong with wearing a collar shirt under a sweater or sweatshirt.

Students not wearing Gopher gear on campus does sound ridiculous. It's kind of like going to Church wearing a Hail Satan shirt.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Badgers=Satan, yes.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Yeah, it was a bit much. What was the line about the practices and was it the team meetings? It will be the most unique experience of your life. Really?

He also said his coaches' meetings are like a 6th grade class.

Western fans have said they felt the same way four years ago - who is this 32 year old and why is he telling me to row so forcefully?

But, it got results.

Get me an oar.

I think you're sort of missing the point. The point Fleck was trying to make was that football players are going to be known in a positive light around campus. I for one love the idea of making players sit in the front row of class and dressing somewhat nicely. Believe it or not, but professors notice that kind of stuff and more importantly, students notice that kind of stuff. My fraternity strongly suggests we sit in the front row in every class and a byproduct of that has been i have gotten to know everyone of my professors because I am forced to being that close in proximity. If you want students to care about this program, then players need to be likable. Half of the people that I know that never attend games have a perception that all players are jerks who cheat and don't try in class.

Easy for someone in a Frat who has parents footing the bill to think the collar shirt and dress up time is a cool idea.

One of the best dude's I ever met on campus was Ed Hawthorne from Florida. We had a Sociology class together and had to sit in the front row next to me because we were the last two dudes to arrive. He was a D-lineman during the Wacker era. He was never a jerk and when he asked for help he was never leaching off of, or trying to cheat off of me. It would have been easy to assume he was a jerk because he was a big huge football player. First time he shook my hand and smiled I knew that dude was all right. All I'm saying is dress codes during travel, functions, team stuff I get, classes when so many are nose buried sitting on snap chat, twitter, facebook in class not so much. Class is what you put into it, and your attitude about learning, and it has nothing to do with how you are dressed, that much I can assure you.

Easy for someone in a Frat who has parents footing the bill to think the collar shirt and dress up time is a cool idea.

One of the best dude's I ever met on campus was Ed Hawthorne from Florida. We had a Sociology class together and had to sit in the front row next to me because we were the last two dudes to arrive. He was a D-lineman during the Wacker era. He was never a jerk and when he asked for help he was never leaching off of, or trying to cheat off of me. It would have been easy to assume he was a jerk because he was a big huge football player. First time he shook my hand and smiled I knew that dude was all right. All I'm saying is dress codes during travel, functions, team stuff I get, classes when so many are nose buried sitting on snap chat, twitter, facebook in class not so much. Class is what you put into it, and your attitude about learning, and it has nothing to do with how you are dressed, that much I can assure you.

Easy for someone on the internet to assume my financials based off of one part of my life, despite how wrong you may be.

All I am saying, is there is nothing wrong with a coach asking his football players to try to be model students who look good and are engaged everyday in class. I seriously doubt Fleck is talking about forcing kids who can't afford it to buy nice clothes.

Western fans have said they felt the same way four years ago - who is this 32 year old and why is he telling me to row so forcefully?

But, it got results.

Get me an oar.

I'm good with that...so why are so many saying 5-7 wins in each of the next 2 years is OK? It shouldn't be.

I'm good with that...so why are so many saying 5-7 wins in each of the next 2 years is OK? It shouldn't be.

I'd think even with Claeys we'd be looking at a downturn in wins. Just roster turnover and schedule changes. I do think we should want more than 5-7 wins. But realistically I don't think we are there yet as fans. Maybe PJ will change the culture.

Easy for someone on the internet to assume my financials based off of one part of my life, despite how wrong you may be.

All I am saying, is there is nothing wrong with a coach asking his football players to try to be model students who look good and are engaged everyday in class. I seriously doubt Fleck is talking about forcing kids who can't afford it to buy nice clothes.

Something like this could work I think.

IMG_0196.JPG

I'd think even with Claeys we'd be looking at a downturn in wins. Just roster turnover and schedule changes. I do think we should want more than 5-7 wins. But realistically I don't think we are there yet as fans. Maybe PJ will change the culture.

Every team has turnover and schedule changes. Unless I'm mistaken, he was brought in to bring us to the next level. Again, if he is a better coach and recruiter, the expectation should be to maintain and improve.

Every team has turnover and schedule changes. Unless I'm mistaken, he was brought in to bring us to the next level. Again, if he is a better coach and recruiter, the expectation should be to maintain and improve.

It does take time to recruit and implement systems.

The players are working for free, not all of them have wealthy parents and wear the warm up gear and free clothing a lot for a reason.
The collar shirt rule is stupid, office dress is even more casual now then that. A dude in a collar shirt and sagging a$$ sweatpants isn't any more ideal than a dude in a sweat shirt and jeans. I get the coach want's a business like approach, but that is silliness requiring a collar shirt.
You will wear a jacket, shirt, and tie. If you don’t have one buy one, can’t afford one then borrow one from your old man. If you don’t have an old man, then find a drunk, trade him for his. -Herman Boone

As a person that doesn't exactly dress up a ton, I hear what you're saying. That said, I think the collar thing and the sitting in the front is trying to set a tone the details matter, image matters, and maybe if you look the part you will feel the part as a student.

Pete Thamel from SI just gave an interview on KFAN that made me want to run through a wall. EXTREMELY complimentary of Fleck.

As a person that doesn't exactly dress up a ton, I hear what you're saying. That said, I think the collar thing and the sitting in the front is trying to set a tone the details matter, image matters, and maybe if you look the part you will feel the part as a student.
Also, flannel shirts have collars. You can but one two sizes larger and wear it as a top layer, like a jacket. There are options.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It does take time to recruit and implement systems.

Not buying it, at all. He's in the same spot TC was with recruiting. He has way more visiblity than TC ever would be. This is not a rebuild, and he's not running some crazy schemes on defense or offense so that change will not take a lot. There's not a lot of seniors leaving.

Wow!!! A little over the top. But if he can recruit, coach, win and run a clean program, I'm all for it.

You will wear a jacket, shirt, and tie. If you don’t have one buy one, can’t afford one then borrow one from your old man. If you don’t have an old man, then find a drunk, trade him for his. -Herman Boone

Obviously haven't ever watched one of his team meetings. Collared shirt is polo. WMU kids wore WMU football polos in Team Meetings that I've seen.

Also, flannel shirts have collars. You can but one two sizes larger and wear it as a top layer, like a jacket. There are options.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Layers always work well during the dark months of Minnesota winters. I like sweatshirts, sweatpants, sweat t-shirts, sweat underpants. Very warm. Believe me.

Not buying it, at all. He's in the same spot TC was with recruiting. He has way more visiblity than TC ever would be. This is not a rebuild, and he's not running some crazy schemes on defense or offense so that change will not take a lot. There's not a lot of seniors leaving.

It is a shift because there's a new staff. Not a rebuild, I agree, but a shift. To think that will take no time is a folly in my opinion. You sound salty that Claeys is gone in the first place and not rational about the path forward with a new staff.

1. When the heck has Mike Hall covered a press conference,
2. When has Pat Forde ever taken notice of a Minnesota hire,
3. When has any coach, new or otherwise, basically told the media that they WILL play a role in the success of the program?

1. When the heck has Mike Hall covered a press conference,
2. When has Pat Forde ever taken notice of a Minnesota hire,
3. When has any coach, new or otherwise, basically told the media that they WILL play a role in the success of the program?

The MORE press covers him (eg. BTN) the better for recruiting (branding).

I'm reserving judgment on expectations for next year until I see what happens in the next week or two with the 10 suspended players, possible transfers, etc. Impossible to tell what kind of team you're looking at until that all shakes out.

Top Bottom