There is a "Stand With Survivors: Fire Claeys" rally this Wednesday

Wow these people are relentless. Was it really that tweet? I have a feeling that these rallies against him would be happening either way...tweet or no tweet. They want blood and if the police didn't give it to them they will find another way. I don't get why they need to blame Claeys, can't the punished/expelled players be enough? I mean they are indeed responsible.

That page has a handful of posts and 5 likes on one post.....

These supporters infesting college campuses, many of whom were out protesting against the police, voicing their support for black lives matters and the "injustices" that follow black men in the American criminal justice system - in this situation, are extremely quick to project guilt on to a bevy of black young men, without knowing all of the facts or allowing these young men the courtesy of being innocent until proven guilty.

Such irony is lost on these privileged sheep.

Um, who's the survivor?

Can we show up and stage our own stand with Claeys rally?

Wow these people are relentless. Was it really that tweet? I have a feeling that these rallies against him would be happening either way...tweet or no tweet. They want blood and if the police didn't give it to them they will find another way. I don't get why they need to blame Claeys, can't the punished/expelled players be enough? I mean they are indeed responsible.

Spot on. Guaranteed 85% of those that show up for this won't even have researched the case. A bunch of sheep is all they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they were really committed, they would have hung a "Fire Claeys" banner at the Vikings game yesterday.

If they were really committed, they would have hung a "Fire Claeys" banner at the Vikings game yesterday.

That whole banner thing yesterday..... was actually a pretty impressive stunt.

That is a huge banner and a pretty amazing thing to pull off.

For fear of the protestor falling, a large section of fans seated near or under said protestor were forced to leave the seats for which they paid and view the game standing uncomfortably; some giving up and simply returning home.

Being a dick is never impressive.

For fear of the protestor falling, a large section of fans seated near or under said protestor were forced to leave the seats for which they paid and view the game standing uncomfortably; some giving up and simply returning home.

Being a dick is never impressive.

Totally impressive stunt.

They're being dicks, but still in an impressive way.

And bitching about standing at a football game is weird. The situation sure, but oh my the standing.....

Where do protestors find the time to protest?

An effective combative protest would be a "stop imprisoning innocent black men" rally. Said "victim" protestors would disperse rather quickly.

Can we show up and stage our own stand with Claeys rally?
It is times like this that I wish I lived closer to the Twin Cities I would definitely like to come to their rally with a huge support Claeys and Gopher Football sign.

I had bad seats for the game, but amazing seats for that spectacle. "Favre" even waved at me.

The people I know were furious at Claey's tweet...and they are 7-8 figure donors. The tweet was stupid because it showed an incredible ignorance about the issue of some d1 male athletes horrible attitudes towards women. If our coach is clueless, how is he going to teach 20 year old guys anything? I think Claeys is a great Xs & Os coach...I was in his corner 100% on this board since he was hired...until I found out a recruit has sex with a girl and Claeys didn't kick Djam off the team. When I read the police report...and then the EOAA report...and watched his out of control players boycott a bowl...there was no one on the team seeing anything wrong with the behavior of any of the 10 guys nor the team's boycott....which revealed an appalling attitude towards women from the top on down. The coach is responsible for the culture of the team and title IX is in place to make campuses safe for everyone. There is a time to support your players and there is a time to teach your players. It is obvious to most outside of this board that Claeys is too concerned about football to see the place football has in the greater university. Many on this board are saying the sex was consensual and the alleged victim is a liar. Many of them fail to see that most people outside this board don't see it that way and even if they did, they find the tweets and admitted actions of the players sent so incredibly offensive that it is making it difficult for them to support the football program. That Claeys announced his support of his players at the exact time when the rest of the world was reading the reports instead of using this as a teachable moment revealed that he sees nothing wrong with what his players did that night. Which would mean that he has no intention of stopping these kind of things in the future. Since his tweet he has yet to come out with any plans to change the culture. He is so tone deaf on the issue that it is hard to see how he could transform the culture. It is too bad as I had confidence in his ability to make the football team a contender in the near future...

Don't think TC meant anything by the tweet, but it was a dumb tweet regardless.

And bitching about standing at a football game is weird. The situation sure, but oh my the standing.....

the fact they couldn't use their seat and had to use concourses does stink. it us not like they had other open seats to go to.

Since his tweet he has yet to come out with any plans to change the culture. He is so tone deaf on the issue that it is hard to see how he could transform the culture. It is too bad as I had confidence in his ability to make the football team a contender in the near future...

Can agree the tweet was bad, but then you go on to make a whole bunch of assumptions. The biggest is that he's incapable of changing the culture. You have no idea what he plans. Sorry, but he did have a football game to get ready for and seemed to do it fairly well. Then you expect him to announce his plans to change the culture when he probably doesn't know if he'll even be coach.

Claeys isn't exactly the most colorful guy around, but he strikes me as an intelligent and sensitive man who's capable of learning from this and actually changing the culture. Somebody tone deaf wouldn't have forked over $50,000 to the cause of preventing sexual assault. Call it PR if you want, but it still shows he's not tone deaf.

One thing that does give me pause is if he can command enough respect from his players so they toe the line. The original incident was bad enough, but there also is the situation where it seems like some of these guys who dodged a rape charge then weren't smart enough to totally stay away from the woman.

People are going to be pissed whichever way this goes.

The people I know were furious at Claey's tweet...and they are 7-8 figure donors.

No they weren't and no they aren't.

Quit making stuff up and go away. Claeys made the right move.

The people I know were furious at Claey's tweet...and they are 7-8 figure donors. The tweet was stupid because it showed an incredible ignorance about the issue of some d1 male athletes horrible attitudes towards women. If our coach is clueless, how is he going to teach 20 year old guys anything? I think Claeys is a great Xs & Os coach...I was in his corner 100% on this board since he was hired...until I found out a recruit has sex with a girl and Claeys didn't kick Djam off the team. When I read the police report...and then the EOAA report...and watched his out of control players boycott a bowl...there was no one on the team seeing anything wrong with the behavior of any of the 10 guys nor the team's boycott....which revealed an appalling attitude towards women from the top on down. The coach is responsible for the culture of the team and title IX is in place to make campuses safe for everyone. There is a time to support your players and there is a time to teach your players. It is obvious to most outside of this board that Claeys is too concerned about football to see the place football has in the greater university. Many on this board are saying the sex was consensual and the alleged victim is a liar. Many of them fail to see that most people outside this board don't see it that way and even if they did, they find the tweets and admitted actions of the players sent so incredibly offensive that it is making it difficult for them to support the football program. That Claeys announced his support of his players at the exact time when the rest of the world was reading the reports instead of using this as a teachable moment revealed that he sees nothing wrong with what his players did that night. Which would mean that he has no intention of stopping these kind of things in the future. Since his tweet he has yet to come out with any plans to change the culture. He is so tone deaf on the issue that it is hard to see how he could transform the culture. It is too bad as I had confidence in his ability to make the football team a contender in the near future...

If you were an assistant Athletic Director in charge of Communications, what message would you craft for Claeys and how should it be delivered internally (to players and staff) and externally to the public?
If he does this and does it well, does it change your status on him?

CoMn
I do agree that Claeys didn't convey the right message in his tone and content of his message initially. Whether that is lack of empathy for women of sexual assault or something else like limited knowledge of facts or overriding initial concern for players is debatable. That said, I find it impossible to think that any decent man (Claeys included), given the information, would support a "culture" over doing the right thing in support of fixing the issues related to sexual assault on campus. He blew it, knowing what he knows now I suspect he would have handled it different, but that doesn't make him unfit for the job. It probably makes him a better fit for the job of teacher/mentor/parent figure, if in fact he has learn some very valuable lessons that will drive support for improved education on the subject. If Claeys is retained, this message would need to be clearly conveyed by him, the AD and the President. If he is retained, feet to the fire of a coach & AD could drive positive change on campus.

While Claeys message could have been vastly improved, I don't think he is the one to blame. This is an institutional issue, one that was allowed to permeate under former AD Norwood Teague and the "watchful" eye of Eric Kaler. From what I've heard recently from a couple of employees at the University, Eric Kaler is a hands off, lock myself in the office "leader" that offers no direction. If that is in fact true, Kaler should be accountable for not establishing a system at the University that doesn't turn a blind eye to these issues. If there is one person that should have been tuned into this issue, it should be him since he was responsible for Teague and fixing the issues after Teague. He should have taken a lesson from this and driven a change at the University. There are processes in place that teach athletes what they can/can not except in gifts if they want to retain their scholarship. There should be process in place that teach student athletes about the code of conduct and expectations of their roll in the community. The institution failed and it needs to correct the issue now.

Many on this board are saying the sex was consensual and the alleged victim is a liar. Many of them fail to see that most people outside this board don't see it that way

Most people have said it's possible it was consensual and that she lied. Very few have said for sure.

Nobody here or outside the board know for sure what happened so saying one way or another is ridiculous. It's possible everything in the report is correct. It's also possible a lot of it is biased. That's the point many are trying to make.

As for Claeys, I think you're making a lot of assumptions.

The argument you make is based on such a warped perspective on why he tweeted and the actual point the players were trying to make with their boycott. Also, if you're rubbing elbows with 7 and 8 figure donors, why are you slumming it on GopherHole?

Pipeline protesters with nothing to do...

The argument you make is based on such a warped perspective on why he tweeted and the actual point the players were trying to make with their boycott. Also, if you're rubbing elbows with 7 and 8 figure donors, why are you slumming it on GopherHole?

Because he's FOS.

An ill-advised, ambiguous tweet does not mean Claeys condones rape/sexual assault. The people that are linking these two things together should be ashamed of themselves.

Coach Claeys, if nothing else, strikes me as a very decent man - he does not deserve this.

An ill-advised, ambiguous tweet does not mean Claeys condones rape/sexual assault. The people that are linking these two things together should be ashamed of themselves.

Coach Claeys, if nothing else, strikes me as a very decent man - he does not deserve this.

+1,000,000

Top Bottom