All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Kill went to bat for the kid and tried to cover the issues to give him a chance. Jones didn't seize the opportunity given him. Something like this makes me have even more respect for what Kill tries to do for kids.

This is kind of interesting to read right after reading about Pitino and peoples opinions of his recruiting.

This is not sad at all. This is a good thing. Glad we got a guy wanted for a felony off of our streets.

Sad was the first charge.
Sad was him not getting his life on the right track 5 years ago.
This sounds more lucky then sad. Lucky he was arrested before the loaded gun was put to use.

I can't help but feel depressed about this in a way.

There are so many people that love school, and LOVE sports, but don't have the GOD given talent to be competitive (me for instance).

With God given talent like Jeff Jones had, what he has done with his life is akin to chucking the Hope Diamond into the Mississippi River for a couple of lousy, easy, illegal dollars.

Kill went to bat for the kid and tried to cover the issues to give him a chance. Jones didn't seize the opportunity given him. Something like this makes me have even more respect for what Kill tries to do for kids.

I'm with you - for one reason... he didn't play JJ. If he would have "went to bat" for JJ and then still played the kid I would lose respect. Kill actually did go to bat for JJ - gave him an opportunity and then tried to use football to teach him something - get your life together and you can play / don't and you won't. I wish JJ would have chosen option A, but he didn't. Kill can't make that decision for him - it is 100% on JJ. Kill was a great man and did a lot of good rebuilding our program. I wish he could have helped JJ.

No surprise here. Everyone deserves an opportunity. He got several.....and $hit all over them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you - for one reason... he didn't play JJ. If he would have "went to bat" for JJ and then still played the kid I would lose respect. Kill actually did go to bat for JJ - gave him an opportunity and then tried to use football to teach him something - get your life together and you can play / don't and you won't. I wish JJ would have chosen option A, but he didn't. Kill can't make that decision for him - it is 100% on JJ. Kill was a great man and did a lot of good rebuilding our program. I wish he could have helped JJ.

I agree with everything but this: Kill did help JJ. JJ didn't help JJ. It's now the Wardens turn to help JJ.[emoji52]

I can't help but feel depressed about this in a way.

There are so many people that love school, and LOVE sports, but don't have the GOD given talent to be competitive (me for instance).

With God given talent like Jeff Jones had, what he has done with his life is akin to chucking the Hope Diamond into the Mississippi River for a couple of lousy, easy, illegal dollars.

That's why I'm so hard on him. He was blessed with talent and tricked it off. After leaving high school he was 24 months from never having to work a 9-5 job....he was that good. Now he will be working for .30 cents an hour.

This is not sad at all. This is a good thing. Glad we got a guy wanted for a felony off of our streets.

Sad was the first charge.
Sad was him not getting his life on the right track 5 years ago.
This sounds more lucky then sad. Lucky he was arrested before the loaded gun was put to use.

Correct!

That's why I'm so hard on him. He was blessed with talent and tricked it off. After leaving high school he was 24 months from never having to work a 9-5 job....he was that good. Now he will be working for .30 cents an hour.

I think it would have been good for him to get away after high school from his father and the whole entourage that he had following towards the end of high school.

I think you are probably right that the talent was there based on the under Armour game, but it's tough to tell from the Washburn years because the competition was not great. Maybe part of his slide was related to not being as good as the other two freshman backs and being having to really work for playing time for the first time in his life. It doesn't look like he had the work ethic like a Cedric Thompson to overcome a tough situation.

I think it would have been good for him to get away after high school from his father and the whole entourage that he had following towards the end of high school.

I think you are probably right that the talent was there based on the under Armour game, but it's tough to tell from the Washburn years because the competition was not great. Maybe part of his slide was related to not being as good as the other two freshman backs and being having to really work for playing time for the first time in his life. It doesn't look like he had the work ethic like a Cedric Thompson to overcome a tough situation.

My personal observations are that he was hands down better than anyone on the current roster at RB. Based on Kill dealing with him, I tend to think the staff believed the same. Credit to Kill for not playing him until he proved himself. Entourage? You are being way to nice....he was rumored to be gang affiliated at Washburn.

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't he raised by his grandparents because his mom wasn't around and his dad was incarcerated? IMO, that has more to do with how he ended up than anything else.

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't he raised by his grandparents because his mom wasn't around and his dad was incarcerated? IMO, that has more to do with how he ended up than anything else.

Don't want to be that guy, but...my wife's co-worker just lost her grandmother at 95. She never knew her father, her mother died when she was an infant. Grandma raised her. She is one of the most-together, brightest, hardest working person I have ever met. If 50% of the people on earth were half the person she is, the world would be a better place.

I respectfully completely disagree. This is Minnesota, we don't have ghettos or "bad" Cities and schools to live in and attend. The kid attended Washburn. The same school as Rashede Hageman whose parents are both attorney's. The school is literally surrounded by some of the most expensive homes in the city/state. Being raised by his grand parents seems to have been to his advantage when you consider his mom left and his dad was.......doing things to get him incarcerated (assuming it wasn't solely drug use related). He had positive people in his life and more importantly he earned and received an opportunity (several) to do better and he $hit the bed. That's all on him.

It doesn't matter where you live. It is the people around you and your will to succeed that ultimately influence your path.

I think the streets claimed him long before he inked the NLI with the GOphers.

Tremendously disappointing and perplexing considering the opportunity given to him.

Considering the millions dangled in front of him, why did he go down the other path? The biggest component of criminality has long been thought to be poverty but what about the others? What would cause a gifted athlete to not even try to reach the NFL or get a free education?

Low levels of self control and anti-social behavior are probably heavily genetically influenced, according to existing research. How much of those traits is determined by genes vs environment isn't really clear. This is kind of a controversial area for obvious reasons. Screening of employees or fetuses for certain genes, etc.

Maybe he got a concussion in youth football and that sent him down the wrong path?

Maybe he got a concussion in youth football and that sent him down the wrong path?

I'm surprised nobody has tried that angle yet. Somebody has to be at fault (Manziel money gesture).

How long will it be before there is precedent for kids to sure their parents for poor upbringing?

This is a bizarre sentence from the link considering his parents lived in public housing.

Although the request certainly does make him look as if he has an astute business mind, there is a slim outside chance this dude doesn't quite get the whole housing/mortgage concept.

I'd be curious to see who his friends in high school and afterwards were/are. The old adage "Show me your friends and I'll show you your future" is often accurate.

Tremendously disappointing and perplexing considering the opportunity given to him.

Considering the millions dangled in front of him, why did he go down the other path? The biggest component of criminality has long been thought to be poverty but what about the others? What would cause a gifted athlete to not even try to reach the NFL or get a free education?

Low levels of self control and anti-social behavior are probably heavily genetically influenced, according to existing research. How much of those traits is determined by genes vs environment isn't really clear. This is kind of a controversial area for obvious reasons. Screening of employees or fetuses for certain genes, etc.

A life of crime is a choice in Minnesota. Folks are not starving to death here. Dude chose a life of crime because he prefers it. Some people are just bad people.

A life of crime is a choice in Minnesota. Folks are not starving to death here. Dude chose a life of crime because he prefers it. Some people are just bad people.

You've been crushing the comments here today/yesterday SF24. I agree with everything you've posted.

You've been crushing the comments here today/yesterday SF24. I agree with everything you've posted.

My perspective comes from having friends who taught and coached the kid and seeing him play since park board. Based on his high school grades he should never have been admitted to a 4-year institution. Folks realized his ability (football) and helped him. The fact he was gang affiliated (again no secret) he should never have been recruited. Folks recognized his talent (football) and decided to help him. There are other things which aren't public and may cause others more harm than him so I will leave it alone. I don't cast or criticize anyone with more compassion than me (I would have told him to kick rocks in 10th grade) they gave the kid multiple chances when others (me) wouldn't have. We need more people like them in the education system.....compassionate people. I'm compassionate; for the other side....the guy who would have received the scholarship coming out of high school had it not gone to JJ.[emoji41]

Top Bottom