New OC ideas ?

Pssst: Malzahn was the Auburn OC while Cam Newton played for Auburn.

Speaking of which, has there ever been a player more perfectly suited for a system than Newton with Malzahn's?

I don't blame people for sort of dismissing that Auburn team because of all of the shadiness, but Newton was so good in that system (he would have been good in any system, but wow).

Malzahn's system has not featured the quarterback run for the last couple of years. He does run a two back two TE power spread at times that allows a run team to pressure the the outside edge.

What does Cam Newton who played in 2010 have to do with Gus Malzahn's offense? Malzahn started in 2013! for your information the Auburn starting QB rushed 44 times this year compared to 98 for Mitch.

Settle down man. Cam played under Gus (he was the OC). When Chizik tried to slow him down he left for a HC job at Arkansas State or somewhere, and promptly came back as HC when Chizik got canned.

This year they started with a guy that CAN run, but is not really known for it. Turns out he was making horrible decisions throwing it and they benched him in favor of more of a pocket passer. They are bowl eligible I believe, but they are certainly not as prolific as they were with Cam, or even Marshall.

Long story short -at least in there system- having a run threat at the QB position seems to be the ticket.

Malzahn's system has not featured the quarterback run for the last couple of years. He does run a two back two TE power spread at times that allows a run team to pressure the the outside edge.

And if you look at their record the last 3 years they are trending downward.

8-5 last year, 6-6 this year. Year with Marshall they went to the NCG.

Wonder how much recruiting will have to do with the hire. Like Limegrover hinted, it can be hard to be a power team trying to recruit against teams like Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin, Iowa, and Arkansas. Would love to be able to do what Indiana does on offense. I still can't see to much changing.

Look 80% the offense will stay the same, what will change, is we will presure the edge more to keep teams from stacking the box aas much. There is too much speed in the B1G to consitently run wide, you need to use formations and movement to create mismatches, either extra blockers in the run game or flooding the zone with recievers. This year we weren't able to pressure the edge enough.

I would love to get a guy that could implement what Kevin Wilson has done at Indiana. I have no idea who that would be but I love the way they can both throw it and run it. If it can be done there, it can be done here.

How about his D?

How about his D?

I would pass on that. Wouldn't want their D or their program in general, but under the context of offensive coordinators, I'm very impressed with what they've done there. It's not just smoke and mirrors there, very solid offensive line as well.

How about his D?

Since he posted in a thread about a new offensive coordinator, and referenced only Indiana's offense. Its probably safe to assume he was only talking about the offense they run

This is when I hope for the luck to have a OC that runs the triple option. please, please, please!

Since he posted in a thread about a new offensive coordinator, and referenced only Indiana's offense. Its probably safe to assume he was only talking about the offense they run

Doesn't the type of offense you run impact your defense....especially if you're not a 4-5 star recruit factory?

Wouldn't be a bad choice but I hear he might be Kirby Smart's new OC at Georgia when that hire is announced next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking Florida because he's a Gainesvile native, but Georgia is the school in need of an offensive coordinator.

Everyone I know who is "super smart" is too structured to be creative. I believe that is or was Limey's problem.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You may want to expand your experiences. Creativity and intelligence are not mutually exclusive. Einstein was not the most structured person and football coaching is not exactly quantum mechanics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'Kirk Ciarrocca" the offensive coordinator at Western Michigan. We may not be able to get PJ Fleck from there but why not steal his offensive coordinator. Seems good at developing offenses as he was the QB guy at Deleware when Joe Flacco was there so he may be one that can actually reach, ML#7 and get him to finish off his throws consistently. I liked how WMU, they moved there backs and tight ends around in multiple sets and created space on the edge that seemed to give there backs more room to run. Might be a guy that can really help Croft develop too.

Probably not on the list but he might be a guy they could look at. Seems to have had increased success at each level. Not the rock star name people will be seeking, but seems like this guy has some potential. If were throwing out names why not one with a little substance.

'Kirk Ciarrocca" the offensive coordinator at Western Michigan. We may not be able to get PJ Fleck from there but why not steal his offensive coordinator. Seems good at developing offenses as he was the QB guy at Deleware when Joe Flacco was there so he may be one that can actually reach, ML#7 and get him to finish off his throws consistently. I liked how WMU, they moved there backs and tight ends around in multiple sets and created space on the edge that seemed to give there backs more room to run. Might be a guy that can really help Croft develop too.

Probably not on the list but he might be a guy they could look at. Seems to have had increased success at each level. Not the rock star name people will be seeking, but seems like this guy has some potential. If were throwing out names why not one with a little substance.

I'd take that resume. Did he call plays at WMU?

You may want to expand your experiences. Creativity and intelligence are not mutually exclusive. Einstein was not the most structured person and football coaching is not exactly quantum mechanics.

einsteinifacluttereddeskisasign.jpg

Umm so you are suggesting if given two options, you would prefer to score less points than more? Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

I'm pretty sure he is referring to the type of offense you run. If you have a high tempo offense and it isn't working very well, it can really make it tough for your defense.

I'm pretty sure he is referring to the type of offense you run. If you have a high tempo offense and it isn't working very well, it can really make it tough for your defense.

Indiana scored the most points in the conference. That is in no way a negative. I will take my chances the Gophers can put together a better defense than Indiana if given the option of scoring like them.

You might want to use a different word than "cerebral." Limegrover got a perfect score on his ACT test, Bachelor of Science from University of Chicago and Masters of Science from Northwestern. He may not have been overly innovative in his approach to football offenses, but it wasn't due to lack of intellectual candle power.

Being intelligent in that respect doesn't mean a lot to me in regards to performing in pressure-packed situations. What they did at age 16-22 has little bearing on what they've developed into at age 45, or define their drive and ambition in their field. ****ting the bed at the 6 inch line vs #15 Michigan, a too-often inability to exploit what a defense is giving us, inability or unwillingness to form his own cohesive offensive identity/playcalling by committee (by his own account he's not an Xs and Os guy) are curious for a really smart guy. Has he been chewing paint chips in the corner all this time?

Seemed like "analysis paralysis" way too often in pressure situations, IMO.

BTW, I'm being overly harsh but the offense was hard to watch. I like Limegrover as a person. Seems like a class act. I wonder if he and Z could have made things purr next year - seemed like some improvement was being made.

Of course the converse is true, if your defense is sub-par it makes it tough on your offense. If you're behind your high value QB is going to get slaughtered when they start hunting him in the fourth quarter.

Let's make it easy and have a great defense and a high-scoring offense. Sounds easy to me.

Cory sauter. Hi powered offense
Kill had him up at the u early fall to present his spread offense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course the converse is true, if your defense is sub-par it makes it tough on your offense. If you're behind your high value QB is going to get slaughtered when they start hunting him in the fourth quarter.

Let's make it easy and have a great defense and a high-scoring offense. Sounds easy to me.

And that is what he was saying. Each can affect the other.

I know. Just posting nonsense to pass the time.

Trying to pigeonhole offenses these days isn't as easy as it used to be. Stanford in particular runs an interesting offense. They are a good model to shoot for. I just can't bring myself to want to emulate Wisconsin in anything.

This is when I hope for the luck to have a OC that runs the triple option. please, please, please!

Just when in the red zone. I loved the wishbone that Holtz used in that situation, very difficult to defend.

If we name 50 possibilities here, anybody think his name would be among the 50? I did see hockey guy Michaletti (so?) throw out PJ Fleck tonight. Former WR at NIU, coached there, now HC at Western Michigan

He was throwing his name out for HC. He isn't a fan of the HC hire.

Top Bottom