Tracy Claeys - Errors from IL game . . .

Reaction score
In my opinion, there were some crucial mistakes that TC & co made on Saturday. I would enjoy hearing your opinions

End of the First half:

- I am a nitpick on the first. Why was the decision made to spike the ball on first and goal? If we were going to run a sneak the next play, why wouldn't we run the sneak on first down when the defense is scrambling and then call timeout? Spiking the ball takes takes time off the clock and causes a loss of downs.

- On second down, I am not mad at the play call to run the sneak, but rather concerned with how TC handled the aftermath. I believe (Sorry for any inaccuracies on the time. I tried to find the official amount since I didn't have the game recorded to check) there was 16 seconds left in the half at the start of the play. Once the refs whistled the play dead, TC should have been in their ear calling timeout. There was no signal for a TD, which meant the clock would still run. Instead it took him many seconds to start calling timeout. I feel he was even given a gift when they added three seconds back to the clock to make it 8 seconds remaining instead of 5.

End of the Game:

- WHY WOULD YOU GO FOR 2?!?!?!? What would have happened if we didn't convert and Illinois went down to score? Would IL try to tie it or go for the win with a 2 point conversion? Either way, TC should have put the team into a position where the worst case scenario would have been to go into overtime should IL have made a TD and converted on a 2 point conversion. Would you still be happy with TC's decision to go for two? I feel this decision has been greatly overlooked only because we were successful in our two point attempt

- Finally, per Shannon Brook's TD run, I hope TC will teach his players and remind them in similar situations in the future to not score a TD and go down on the 1 yard line.

Also, it was interesting to see people give TC a standing ovation at the start of the game when they announced this game to be his first "official" game as head coach at TCF after the Michigan debacle and three straight losses . . .

Also, it was interesting to see people give TC a standing ovation at the start of the game when they announced this game to be his first "official" game as head coach at TCF after the Michigan debacle and three straight losses . . .

I'll explain it to you. The fans who were giving the standing ovation can see the bigger picture.

In my opinion, there were some crucial mistakes that TC & co made on Saturday. I would enjoy hearing your opinions

End of the First half:

- I am a nitpick on the first. Why was the decision made to spike the ball on first and goal? If we were going to run a sneak the next play, why wouldn't we run the sneak on first down when the defense is scrambling and then call timeout? Spiking the ball takes takes time off the clock and causes a loss of downs.

- On second down, I am not mad at the play call to run the sneak, but rather concerned with how TC handled the aftermath. I believe (Sorry for any inaccuracies on the time. I tried to find the official amount since I didn't have the game recorded to check) there was 16 seconds left in the half at the start of the play. Once the refs whistled the play dead, TC should have been in their ear calling timeout. There was no signal for a TD, which meant the clock would still run. Instead it took him many seconds to start calling timeout. I feel he was even given a gift when they added three seconds back to the clock to make it 8 seconds remaining instead of 5.

End of the Game:

- WHY WOULD YOU GO FOR 2?!?!?!? What would have happened if we didn't convert and Illinois went down to score? Would IL try to tie it or go for the win with a 2 point conversion? Either way, TC should have put the team into a position where the worst case scenario would have been to go into overtime should IL have made a TD and converted on a 2 point conversion. Would you still be happy with TC's decision to go for two? I feel this decision has been greatly overlooked only because we were successful in our two point attempt

- Finally, per Shannon Brook's TD run, I hope TC will teach his players and remind them in similar situations in the future to not score a TD and go down on the 1 yard line.

Gotta love Mondays. Score as many points as you can. Every coach in every game makes huge mistakes when Monday comes. We won, coaching was just fine.

End of the First half:

End of the Game:

I am in total agreement of the 2 point conversion call. It worked out, but man, if the stars would have aligned just right for an Illinois TD and 2 point conversion for the win what a disaster that could have been.

If two crucial decision mistakes led to 15 points, God help our opponents when our coach has a perfect day, decision wise...

1) agree, sneaks after timeouts aren't as effective
2) he ran down there, players should have been calling TO
3) I thought it was the right call. We get it the game's over.
4) You can't plan for a 75 yard run and go over every scenario. It's true that it would have been better for him to take a knee at the one, but you can't plan it.

End of the First half:

End of the Game:

This post... Woof.

At the time I agreed with you, but looking back on it, I'm glad we beat them by 9 and not 1.

End of the First half:

End of the Game:

lol wow... this board never ceases to amaze me.

End of the First half:

End of the Game:

Sigh....
Really?!?
ok here goes:
The spike gave us plenty of time to do whatever we wanted, it was decided to try a sneak. Not the most creative, but very low percent chance of bad thing happening, and Mitch has shown that he can pick those TDs up 90% of the time. The refs took too long to untangle the play and Claeys called time ASAP. Poor job by the refs in managing the aftermath of that play. They probably owed even more time on the clock than the 3 seconds.

The 2 pointer ended the game. It's basically going for two to finish the game right then and there rather than allow for craziness to occur. Miss it and you still are prone to craziness. Claeys was aggressive and finished the thing off right then and there.

You're not actually hoping our freshman running back falls down rather than score an 80 yd TD are you? You take the points and go up by a TD every time. Every single time.

I hope our current coach never acts that strategically. That would have robbed Brooks of getting a 75 yard touchdown run and robbed the fans of seeing it. For what? 15 seconds of clock time?

Brooks scored, we kicked off, and the defense played as well as it needed to for the time they had left. That's the way it should have been.

Going for two is the right call. It's basically saying: "Your move". If you get it, ball game. If you don't, you put all the weight on the other coach's shoulders. If you're up by 8, the other coach has no choice. They have to go for 2. And with recent Gopher history in defending the two, I wouldn't be real optimistic in stopping them. Now you're heading into OT and Illinois has all the momentum. Claeys is a math guy, he knew what he was doing.

As far as Brooks goes, never take points off the board. With the history of Gopher losses, Brooks takes a knee, Leidner and Moore botch the snap on the kneel down, Illinois recovers and drives for a game-wining field goal.

End of the First half:

End of the Game:

I can't remember the last time I posted on this bored. I Read it rather frequently, however. Nevertheless, you sir are an idiot. You should never be allowed to offer insight ever again.

End of the First half:

End of the Game:

Most people were talking up how Tracy learn from the Michigan game how to deal with the clock. Yes you are nitpicking. Move on. .I would say his play calling work out rather well

Go Gopher

Take a knee at the one???? Uhhh, I don't think so. Who knows what could happen on the next play and the net results is zero points. I can just hear all the critics and rightly so. This isn't some XBox versus of football we are playing.

You take the points when you can.

Going for two was a good call and gave our guys the sure W. Without it, the Illini still needed to get 7 and then make their choice.

Going for two is the right call. It's basically saying: "Your move". If you get it, ball game. If you don't, you put all the weight on the other coach's shoulders. If you're up by 8, the other coach has no choice. They have to go for 2. And with recent Gopher history in defending the two, I wouldn't be real optimistic in stopping them. Now you're heading into OT and Illinois has all the momentum. Claeys is a math guy, he knew what he was doing.

As far as Brooks goes, never take points off the board. With the history of Gopher losses, Brooks takes a knee, Leidner and Moore botch the snap on the kneel down, Illinois recovers and drives for a game-wining field goal.

I agree with Brooks scoring, disagree with the going for 2 call. Claeys might need to rethink his math. Kicking the extra point is a higher percentage play and guarantees you cannot lose in regulation. Going for 2 has a much lower rate of success, and not converting it opens up the possibility of losing in regulation.

No way any running back wide open doesn't go for the TD. 2-point made sense. Clock management at half worked - just barely (Mitch threw a perfect fade, with a perfect catch by Still). Unlike Michigan, where I vigorously supported kicking a FG on the last play, I was okay with TC's decisions

End of the First half:

End of the Game:

I asked that question in the moment, but quickly realized by doing so with a timeout in our pocket, it opened up the entire playbook. That's smart coaching. Also, with MI game in mind, I heard that 7 sideline staff were instructing the players and Coach Claeys to spike the ball.

Brooks taking a knee? Who do you think we are: Northwestern?

Sigh....
Really?!?
ok here goes:
The spike gave us plenty of time to do whatever we wanted, it was decided to try a sneak. Not the most creative, but very low percent chance of bad thing happening, and Mitch has shown that he can pick those TDs up 90% of the time. The refs took too long to untangle the play and Claeys called time ASAP. Poor job by the refs in managing the aftermath of that play. They probably owed even more time on the clock than the 3 seconds.

The 2 pointer ended the game. It's basically going for two to finish the game right then and there rather than allow for craziness to occur. Miss it and you still are prone to craziness. Claeys was aggressive and finished the thing off right then and there.

You're not actually hoping our freshman running back falls down rather than score an 80 yd TD are you? You take the points and go up by a TD every time. Every single time.

Agree the spike was fine because they didn't have enough time to get 4 plays off anyway. Who cares about the loss of down when you aren't going to use all 4 anyway? The amount of time that went off for the sneak was frustrating, but that was mostly the officials. Coach Claeys has to remain between the 20's during the play if I remember right - if the referees don't look at him he has a ways to run to get their attention. Players should have been signaling for the timeout but I never saw that.

I agreed with the 2 pointer. You more likely than not go to overtime if you don't get it and they score. You still have the opportunity to stop the 2 pointer (just as much as they did) if they do get a TD and go for 2. I don't get why everyone thinks we automatically won't score but if IL gets a TD they automatically would have. I literally said immediately after the TD was scored that they should go for 2. Well, immediately after yelling that Brooks should have gone down...

Yes, I would hope Brooks would have taken a knee rather than score. I was screaming at the top of my lungs for him to go down. A first down ended the game. The TD was what brought up the issue of the 2 point conversion in the first place. The best winning percentage play was to go down before the end zone. Yes, he's a freshman, but he's played football for probably 15 years. It's not like he walked on off the street.

End of the First half:

End of the Game:

Perhaps you should have put in your application to coach. Because.....didn't they score on that drive? Ok, as long as it turns into points,
preferably 7 (which it did) I'm not too concerned with how we managed to get there as long as it work.

How bout the rest of you?

On field coaches, players, and refs get one chance to get it right. Review sometimes bails them out in college and NFL. Gotta love the Monday morning QB. The beauty of it is that the coaches and refs have already done their Monday morning QB and asked themselves the same questions about how to improve.

Sigh....
Really?!?
ok here goes:

I can understand the strategy behind avoiding the score - IF the time on the clock is low enough that all we do is QB kneel. But if it's at all up in the air about the offense needing more plays - Go for the score. Certain points are better than a chance of a fumble.

P.S. Even if the clock is low enough to avoid scoring for victory, such things are difficult to remember in the heat of homerun sprint. - Especially for a true freshman.

Kneeling the ball would have been smart IF we could have run out the clock. There was about 1:25 on the clock though and Illinois still had 1 timeout. We would have had to run actual plays in that situation which could lead to a turnover. Plus a field goal is not a guarantee. I would rather go up by a touchdown plus.

Why does everyone act like it's a foregone conclusion that Illinois would go for 2 if they scored? How often does a team go for 2 in that situation instead of taking the PAT to go to OT? They take the PAT and overtime nearly every time.

In a similar situation but different game maybe it would be different, but I loved the aggressiveness of the call to go for two. We were already up by 7. If we miss the conversion, we're still up by 7. If Illinois gets a TD, there is no way they go for 2 and the win when they have the momentum and they are fighting for a bowl like us. Outside of the one Brooks run, they outplayed us in the second half. IMO It was a risk-free opportunity to seal it up. Clearly the coaches felt confident we would get it, and seeing as how easy it was they were right.

I agree on this. It's the same as a defender going down to the group after getting a late interception. If you continue to try to return the ball, only bad things are going to happen. Just go down to ensure the victory. It's hard to tell a kid not to score, but hopefully as they gain more experience this is something they will realize in the future.

I agree with Brooks scoring, disagree with the going for 2 call. Claeys might need to rethink his math. Kicking the extra point is a higher percentage play and guarantees you cannot lose in regulation. Going for 2 has a much lower rate of success, and not converting it opens up the possibility of losing in regulation.

True, but converting it also pretty much guarantees a win. While not converting opens up a chance we lose in regulation, the chance of it happening is sill pretty small.

Kneeling the ball would have been smart IF we could have run out the clock. There was about 1:25 on the clock though and Illinois still had 1 timeout. We would have had to run actual plays in that situation which could lead to a turnover. Plus a field goal is not a guarantee. I would rather go up by a touchdown plus.

Why does everyone act like it's a foregone conclusion that Illinois would go for 2 if they scored? How often does a team go for 2 in that situation instead of taking the PAT to go to OT? They take the PAT and overtime nearly every time.

Bingo.

I don't know why when teams that are leading by 1 that score a TD in the 4th quarter don't go for 2 every time?

I was more concerned with his attire and seemingly complete lack of interest. smh :banghead:

I agree on this. It's the same as a defender going down to the group after getting a late interception. If you continue to try to return the ball, only bad things are going to happen. Just go down to ensure the victory. It's hard to tell a kid not to score, but hopefully as they gain more experience this is something they will realize in the future.

Doesn't always work that way. In the NFC Championship last year, the Packers got a late interception and opted to go down early. They ended up having to punt, gave Seattle a chance to win the game.

In this situation, Shannon Brooks had daylight and no defenders. You don't go down early, you score.

Top Bottom