Anyone else really struggling with this?

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
I watched that press conference this morning and needed a drink. Need a shoulder to cry on I guess.

Heard the news on the way to work. Work was so busy that I didn't get a chance to see anything more until this evening. As a Gopher fan, I am very sad, but as a fan of Jerry Kill I am happy that he is doing the right thing for his health. He made this program much better.

Saw a good portion of it on BTN Live tonight. It was sure tough to watch.

The press conference was hard to watch. You see a man that has spent 32 years straight doing something he loves and now he can't do it anymore. He said it himself he has no idea what he'll do now. He was so hurt he could barely talk, and Kill is one tough SOB. Damn right I got choked up a few times today. It's heartbreaking.

Me while watching the press conference...

ngaynay12tuyetchieugiupthaihanhkhongcaymat_1.jpg

Yes. Here's a video tonic that really details our journey with Coach.

Brought this forward a couple of years ago when we beat Nebraska at home. Short clip from the loss at UM back in 2011...which makes it even more appropriate for this weekend.

We were asked to grade Coach's tenure in another thread. I think most watching this again will seal the deal on the "A."

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5WTCJOC2To

This shows us the job's not done.

Good luck to Coach Claeys and our Minnesota Golden Gophers! Beat Michigan!

The press conference was hard to watch. You see a man that has spent 32 years straight doing something he loves and now he can't do it anymore. He said it himself he has no idea what he'll do now. He was so hurt he could barely talk, and Kill is one tough SOB. Damn right I got choked up a few times today. It's heartbreaking.

Completely agree.

Yes. Here's a video tonic that really details our journey with Coach.

Brought this forward a couple of years ago when we beat Nebraska at home. Short clip from the loss at UM back in 2011...which makes it even more appropriate for this weekend.

We were asked to grade Coach's tenure in another thread. I think most watching this again will seal the deal on the "A."

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5WTCJOC2To

This shows us the job's not done.

Good luck to Coach Claeys and our Minnesota Golden Gophers! Beat Michigan!

Pretty amazing how far the program has come in 4 short years and how Kill knew exactly what needed to happen to make progress.

Numb. Kill will always be one of my favorite coaches of all-time.

Thank you for sharing that video. MN sure got fortunate in being able to have that man as its head football coach!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heard the news on the way to work. Work was so busy that I didn't get a chance to see anything more until this evening. As a Gopher fan, I am very sad, but as a fan of Jerry Kill I am happy that he is doing the right thing for his health. He made this program much better.

This is where I'm at. It's a weird combination of nausea and relief. I'm worried that there goes our chance for the program to have the success we've all dreamed about. But overriding that is resting assured that trying to do this demanding job with this debilitating condition isn't going to kill the man.

Rather interesting to see all of the "Fire Kill" fans back on board with Jerry now. I understand why as everyone is more concerned about his health, which is the way it should be. Simply trying to point out the fact many of us Gopher fans were calling for his job. I never felt that way about him. Simply put, Gophers are not a national championship contender and Jerry moved them leaps and bounds ahead. For that, all of us fans can agree that we wish him all the best and hope his health remains in tact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel for his daughter who has been with him on the sidelines by his side all those years. What is she going to do also?

It was brutal to watch the entire thing on You Tube. Really upsetting. One of the most heartfelt moments I've ever seen in sports - and I go back a long way.

It's still hitting me that he retired and won't come back to coach the Gophers.

My heart broke for Jerry Kill and to a way lesser extent with his retirement. I loved him as the coach and am hopeful for tue future.

This is where I'm at. It's a weird combination of nausea and relief. I'm worried that there goes our chance for the program to have the success we've all dreamed about. But overriding that is resting assured that trying to do this demanding job with this debilitating condition isn't going to kill the man.

It was hard to watch the video. It was easy to see how gut wrenching this decision was for Coach Kill, but after what happened to Flip on Sunday, can't work-up any negative feelings about the decision he made.

Don't like that he had to make it but understand why he did. Flip had no choice he could have made. Lucky for Jerry and his family he did.

Minnesotans of a certain age will remember the press conference when Kirby Puckett announced his retirement.

Kill's presser made that one look downright joyful. That was not pleasant to watch.

When it was announced on Monday that Kill missed a press conference because he and REbecca were in a meeting that ran late, I started to think the worst. I only hoped that their meeting wasn't with doctors. Fast forward to this morning and hearing the terrible news, my heart broke for Coach, his family and Minnesota. I have a weird feeling that this will not be end of the relationship between Jerry Kill and the UofM. For now, my prayers are with Coach and his family. Ski-U-Mah

Rather interesting to see all of the "Fire Kill" fans back on board with Jerry now. I understand why as everyone is more concerned about his health, which is the way it should be. Simply trying to point out the fact many of us Gopher fans were calling for his job. I never felt that way about him. Simply put, Gophers are not a national championship contender and Jerry moved them leaps and bounds ahead. For that, all of us fans can agree that we wish him all the best and hope his health remains in tact.

You are reaching big time with this one. There were few to any fans on this board calling for Kill to be fired, it just wan't happening even though some of you want to pretend it was. There was plenty of disappointment about the way the season was going and frustration with the performance of the offense but I saw no one saying Kill should be fired at this point.

I cried. It was very painful. I understand that Pat Reusse wrote that “Kill can’t deal with setbacks.” Really? Cancer isn’t a setback? Epilepsy isn’t a set back? Kill has battled both courageously. My oldest son is a cancer survivor and my father was an epileptic. I know the pain that Kill and his family must be experiencing. I’m amazed that he has coached this long. My father fought epilepsy for years. He was a self-employed businessman who worked 60 to 70 hours a week to build his business. He was medicated with phenobarbital to control his seizures, but in time the stress and impact of his meds lead to a series of strokes, which left him unable to move or speak for the last two and half years of his life. He died at age 57. Hopefully, by walking away now, Kill will avoid a similar fate.

I am in a state of heart break. My father-in-law passed away last weekend, and it is hard to wipe away double tears.

Jerry Kill has given everything he's got to the football program, to the university, and to the state. The University Of Minnesota Athletics is positioned for the future better because of him.

But, I have a gut feeling we haven't seen the last of Jerry Kill.

The presser was tough. Exactly what I expected from Kill - he wears his heart on his sleeve and lets you know exactly what he is thinking. What he did for this program was incredible - off the field even more so. A huge loss for the U but I also feel pride that he chose himself and his family over coaching. Health before wealth. God before yourself.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I had a hard time keeping it together as I listened yesterday morning. The raw emotion coming from a great man was almost too much.

First, Hungan1 very sorry for your loss. I was thinking about Jerry's accomplishments. We all know his big wins and where he brought the program on the field. But for me the way he did it makes this a very sad day.

He ran a clean program
Kids, comparatively speaking, stayed out of trouble
Has the highest academic ranking for football team in history of program, I believe
He regained the trust and respect of MN HS coaches
Secured 10 of the top 12 in state recruits in current class
Was the leader in fundraising to allow the U to break ground on an athletic facility that was once a pipe dream
Became a leading advocate for those suffering from epilepsy
Not to mention the thousands of lives he impacted. Not only his players but everyone in this community.

If this doesn't define a home run hire what does? Thank you Coach Kill for all you have done and I agree...it was a very tough day for this Gopher fan

Count me in among the ones that are having a hard time. I have many people in my life; but Jerry Kill (and the entire U of M program) is put in a disproportionate high place. Here's why I'm having a hard time:
-I follow only one sport and put my entire fandom into it --- College Football and the UofM specifically
-I've had Season Tickets for as long as I can remember. Gameday is Family Day as I bring each family member to one of our home games each year. The experience bonds us and give us a common goal. We talk about much more than Football; but Jerry Kill was also someone we talked about. We all appreciated his integrity, focus, humanity, and life victories. Every time I hear the name Jerry Kill, I smile inwardly as does the rest of my family.
-He did things the right way. So many people are tempted to cut corners, give in to short-cuts, or go against their principles. Jerry Kill did none of that.
-He was genuine and passionate. My daughter had the privilege of an accidental meeting with him. She said he was who we all thought he was, a great coach and an even better person.
Sure I took the news hard, similar to a friend dying; but Jim Valvano said it best: "If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special".
Yesterday, I did all of the above on account of the news. Jerry Kill; thank you for making yesterday something special.

Wow...let's step away from the ledge. Jerry is not dead. While it is sad, it is what's best for his ongoing life and family. Lets remember it's just football, lets try to keep things in perspective. Jerry came to that realization, family is most important.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wow...let's step away from the ledge. Jerry is not dead. While it is sad, it is what's best for his ongoing life and family. Lets remember it's just football, lets try to keep things in perspective. Jerry came to that realization, family is most important. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jerry's raw emotion made it tough for everyone. We know he's not dead. We all want what's best for him and his family. To look back on a person's accomplishments and to thank them on the day they retire is all most of us want to do. That's all

Top Bottom