Kill/Claeys/Limegrover presser notes - Kill "I'm never going to apologize for a win"

GopherLady

Reaction score
Kill/Claeys/Limegrover presser notes - Kill "I'm never going to apologize for a win"

Sounds like they did a lot more reflecting on Sunday, and digging into issues. Here are my notes, not verbatim, just typing as they spoke:

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/556536?referrer_id=

Jerry Kill:
• 1st Sidbit of the day - Sid yells to Dan O'Brien (one of the best guys, ever) "Get your ass out of here!!!"
• Kill thanked Sid for getting the press conference off to a good start
• We got a lot done on Sunday than we normally do. Right now, I think we're in the process from an O-Line standpoint, with Jon being out and Joe only practicing once a week - trying to take the load off him. Young freshman that have been redshirted aren't quite ready. We spent a lto of time talking personalle. You don't add things, you simplify things with your guys when you're struggling. We've got to get them feeling good. If you don't feel good, you don't play good. I'm not going to throw kids under the bus because we're not a pro team. I get $2.2 million dollars, and they get books and tuition.
• Our issue isn't the QB, it's running the football, we've got to do better upfront, and to stay healthy. Those are excuses, we've got to get it done
• Everyone wants to pull OSU out of #1 because they didn't score enough points. But they won.
• It goes back to not turning over the football for us, and running the ball better.
• If we beat Michigan 6-0, I don't think anyone would care, just win.
• You can't blame the kids or the players, I've coached for 32 years, I know a lot of different football stuff. We may be putting stuff on that board that they can't do, we need to give them things they can do.
• The players, the kids on offense, they're willing to do anything. If you tell kids they're not worth anything, and they're bad…do you think they'll like that. If you tell your kids they're terrible, they'll think that. My job, as a HC, is to get them to believe - we're going to be all right.
• Football is part of training you for life.
• There are a lot of things we talked about not football related, playing tight, unsure. You need to find out why he's struggling, and we work together to fix it. I said all the things you felt, I agree with that. There is one thing I'll tell ya, we're supposed to be a tough, physical team...that's a little what I'm disappointed in. There's a time to yell at people and there's a time to teach, now is the time to teach.
• Kill said he might have to play true freshman backup center Tyler Moore at another position and burn his redshirt.
• I think we did exactly what we needed to do to win the game, there's always opinions .. on what you do
• Pete had a great day, our punter had a great day. Special teams can help us out a lot. We just need to execute and get better, our kids know that, and they're embarrassed by that.
• I'm never going to apologize for a win, I felt like I was apologizing for a win. That's what I tell our kids.
• (On if people are upset because expectations have been raised) This is the best problem you'll ever have, you do better, and you want to continue to do better. I'd rather have someone care, than not cared. They bought a ticket, I would have booed…well, maybe not, I would have yelled. My wife asked me afterwards, you didn't play very well. The only thing was getting asked about specific players, I'm not going to throw a player under the bus. We've got other issues other than one person.

Tracy Claeys:
• We've got a group that likes to play football, they've been solid on their assignments, which is why we've done a decent job.
• Ohio is very similar to Kent State in the running game, but they have receivers to keep you honest.
• On defense, you never know who's going to make the plays, it all depends on how they block. Steve Richardson had a lot of one on one blocks that he won. According to how people block, you see guys that make plays. Alex Keith made the plays he needed to, very pleased with him. I think that, as coaches, it's your job to put them in positions to make plays. It still comes down to the players. When you don't play on D, you miss some of these plays, we didn't miss a lot.
• We go against each other in practice 30 plays a day. We go good on good. Tuesday and Weds. In no huddle offense, we get between 24-30 plays.
Matt Limegrover:
• How do you fix your line? Go on to work every day. We used some time Sunday, we did a little more than we usually do, to see if there were some pieces we hadn't tried yet. Today will be a big day as far as that goes. Maybe try some guys who didn't play on Saturday and see if they can help us.
• On keeping kids confident? That's coaching 101. You don't want to wear a kid out, but you don't want them leaving the complex feeling like it's all rainbows and unicorns. We're honest from them from day one. It's a process, you don't pull a kid in and it's a complete shock to them. That's what avoids a lot of the hard feelings. I don't think there's anything worse in football - than when a coach comes in and completely replaces you, and it's the 1st you've heard.

Some things didn't go our way - how are we, as a group going to respond to that in the future. It's almost like self scouting yourself. Coach met with each group after practice and said "what went wrong from your perspective?"

and there she is to save the day again! thx for the press conf notes as always.

Not a fan of Kill saying the issue isn't with the QB. Granted the QB isn't our only issue on offense but it's clearly one of the issues. I don't expect coach to throw Mitch under the bus but I would like Kill to say something to the fans that would indicate to us that he's aware of a QB 'concern'. So far he's given no signals and that makes me worried.

> Our issue isn't the QB, it's running the football, we've got to do better upfront, and to stay healthy.

We didn't run the last game because a team like Kent State can afford to stack the box with so many players you can't hope to block them all because there is zero threat of a consistent passing game.

Granted we also are having problems protecting Mitch but man at some point you have to make passes to free up the run and be a threat too ....... that's a worrisome quote :( They're not going to be able to run up the middle themselves out of trouble when the B1G schedule starts...

Not a fan of Kill saying the issue isn't with the QB. Granted the QB isn't our only issue on offense but it's clearly one of the issues. I don't expect coach to throw Mitch under the bus but I would like Kill to say something to the fans that would indicate to us that he's aware of a QB 'concern'. So far he's given no signals and that makes me worried.

He is aware of the concerns and said "it's not the problem." The OL and running the ball is the problem.

> Our issue isn't the QB, it's running the football, we've got to do better upfront, and to stay healthy.

We didn't run the last game because a team like Kent State can afford to stack the box with so many players you can't hope to block them all because there is zero threat of a consistent passing game.

Granted we also are having problems protecting Mitch but man at some point you have to make passes to free up the run and be a threat too ....... that's a worrisome quote :( They're not going to be able to run up the middle themselves out of trouble when the B1G schedule starts...

you think teams didn't stack the box last year?

Play calling could easily help out our o-line, spread the formation out so they can't stack the box. Can't get big gains against 8-9 guys in the box.

It helps though to run a little bit to the outside though. Run a few WR screens. We didn't do any of that. The defense knew we were going to run in between the tackles on every play.

Play calling could easily help out our o-line, spread the formation out so they can't stack the box. Can't get big gains against 8-9 guys in the box.

I wonder how much the absence of Maxx Williams plays into that. He could line up tight or go in motion, get isolation on one of the defensive guys that was one edge of the "box" and make them pay. We don't seem to have a guy like that right now.

I wonder how much the absence of Maxx Williams plays into that. He could line up tight or go in motion, get isolation on one of the defensive guys that was one edge of the "box" and make them pay. We don't seem to have a guy like that right now.

Maxx definitely would pick up LBs along the way as he ran out there. Not that they could do much but you often saw one trailing or unsuccessfully trying to protect the pass on those. It had to help clear out a side and help the OL for sure.

Are you being serious? believe me, it sounds to me as if you want Kill to throw Mitch under the bus...back up and do it all again. You will NEVER get what you want Gopher2017. Coach Kill has spoken. Coach Kill is a good coach and a good man and a TEACHER and PARENT. He has his priorities right and he KNOWS stuff that you "ain't had time to learn..." And, Coach Kill is tough, stubborn and RIGHT. Just give it up Gopher2017. Coach Kill will NOT be throwing Mitch under the bus EVER. After all: Kill makes 2.2 million dollars and he is TEACHING his student athletes...NOT throwing them under the bus. THIS is just another side of Coach Kill that we fans are privileged enough to see. Personally: I respond pretty damn well to this side of Coach Kill. I LIKE his resolve...his being IN CHARGE...AND: his doing it HIS way...the RIGHT way! Beat the stinking Bobcat, Gopher!

I think if Kent St can do it and hold us to 10, so can most everyone in the West.

You realize that our defense did not create one turnover in the game?

Illinois ran 11 plays inside Kent State 40 and was up 35-0 after those plays.

Illinois had 342 yards of offense and MN had 288.

Kent St played the punting game with us.

Not healthy up front, not having a heisman candidate at QB; blah blah, the real issue with our
offense is coaching/play calling. If you watched the games, you'd know.

I think if Kent St can do it and hold us to 10, so can most everyone in the West.

No reason to play the rest of the games then right? TCU once again got the benefit of two fumbles to beat us. So TCU needs fumbles to beat people? We stay healthy on defense and we will only need 20 points to win.

No reason to play the rest of the games then right? TCU once again got the benefit of two fumbles to beat us. So TCU needs fumbles to beat people? We stay healthy on defense and we will only need 20 points to win.

I'd be ok with that if I felt we could score 20 consistently and do a bit of ball control to rest the defense. That doesn't seem to be the case.

+1, every game had a different narrative.

Yes you do. That's exactly what you expect and want.
Maybe, just maybe all the QB experts in the media and fanbase are wrong.
They watched the film, they saw the plays unfold and who missed assignments.
If the entire offense was perfect except the QB there's no reason they wouldn't make the change. It all starts up front and a quick change to Croft or anyone else at QB isn't going to fix a running game that can't pick up short yardage situations against a bad MAC team.

Are you being serious? believe me, it sounds to me as if you want Kill to throw Mitch under the bus...back up and do it all again. You will NEVER get what you want Gopher2017. Coach Kill has spoken. Coach Kill is a good coach and a good man and a TEACHER and PARENT. He has his priorities right and he KNOWS stuff that you "ain't had time to learn..." And, Coach Kill is tough, stubborn and RIGHT. Just give it up Gopher2017. Coach Kill will NOT be throwing Mitch under the bus EVER. After all: Kill makes 2.2 million dollars and he is TEACHING his student athletes...NOT throwing them under the bus. THIS is just another side of Coach Kill that we fans are privileged enough to see. Personally: I respond pretty damn well to this side of Coach Kill. I LIKE his resolve...his being IN CHARGE...AND: his doing it HIS way...the RIGHT way! Beat the stinking Bobcat, Gopher!
I think there's something wrong with your keyboard. Keeps going in and out of CAPS.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'd be ok with that if I felt we could score 20 consistently and do a bit of ball control to rest the defense. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Our offense was on the field more than the defense in every quarter and our punter put the ball inside the 20, 5 times. Defense creates 1-2 turnovers and it's a potential blow-out.

• (On if people are upset because expectations have been raised) This is the best problem you'll ever have, you do better, and you want to continue to do better. I'd rather have someone care, than not cared. They bought a ticket, I would have booed…well, maybe not, I would have yelled. My wife asked me afterwards, you didn't play very well. The only thing was getting asked about specific players, I'm not going to throw a player under the bus. We've got other issues other than one person.

Didn't boo or yell myself, but now some people would say that Jerry isn't a true fan. :rolleyes:

Didn't boo or yell myself, but now some people would say that Jerry isn't a true fan. :rolleyes:

This is such BAD behavior and the head coach should be ashamed of himself for evening thinking let alone saying such a thing.

Our offense was on the field more than the defense in every quarter and our punter put the ball inside the 20, 5 times. Defense creates 1-2 turnovers and it's a potential blow-out.

2 extra field goals doesn't make it a blow out.

I think there's something wrong with your keyboard. Keeps going in and out of CAPS.

Broken caps lock. I'm trying to find a good caps lock repair dude/dudette, which ever that caps lock person may be. Thanks for being so kind as to let me know. Oh yes, and your SCH-I545 must be working ok today, except I think it should be Caps rather than CAPS on your post. Maybe you can look into that GoldenUMNGopher...Have a great day. you are one of my favorite posters around here.

You just threw your Caps Lock button under the bus...Jerry would not approve.

Thanks Nadine.

"You can't blame the kids or players.. we may be putting stuff on the board that they can't do..."

That right there is SCARY to read considering we perhaps ran the most VANILLA offensive gameplan I've ever seen (Middle School, JV, and Varsity High School included) against Kent St. I don't know how much more you can dumb down a game plan so that they can do it. This in part goes back to coaching on the Offense and O-Line (Limegrover), but I'm starting to believe it may be Kill handcuffing Limegrover.

Great stuff.

After this season, the Gophers need a coach who is completely dedicated to the offensive line. Limegrover has proven he isn't capable of handling all the jobs he has.

Finally, I'm very tired of coaches claiming that football uniquely imparts wisdom regarding life. Coaches at all levels do this. It's sickening self-flagellation. Football does no better at teaching life lessons than anything else. Stop glorifying football for ridiculous reasons.

Doesn't matter if the formation is spread out to the parking lots when Mitch Leidner is your quarterback.

Top Bottom